Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Gaming UPS
Pro-Gamer UPS
Anti-Gamer UPS
View Results

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you don't have to wildly reroute or run extra cable to get the antenna running through the UPS, it's not a bad idea.

Those are generally designed not to protect against lightning damage from a direct hit, but to protect a cable line when lightning gets on it a mile away and the system goes up to a couple thousand volts for a millisecond or so.

So, it's still going to turn into a smoking, charred mess, but yeah, it might save a cable box or modem on a nearby hit.

It won't degrade the signal noticeably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Personally I'd want my UPS to not eat it from a lightning strike a mile away (because it'll be used to power/surge-suppress other important appliance) so I'd probably keep it out of the cable loop.

:shrug:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hey, if your UPS is the most expensive piece of electronics in your house, that's the right move.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
ah okay, thanks! i had heard it's very important to "ground" the HD antenna due to protentional lightning/fire hazards but i didn't know if this would be considered "grounding" it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

hey, if your UPS is the most expensive piece of electronics in your house, that's the right move.

Just just expense (although a cable modem is like 10x:10bux: if it's even yours and you're not just renting from Spectrum or whatever), though: it's an infrastructure thing because that particular UPS could be hooked up to up to 9 other devices (in addition to the modem which is presumably also plugged into it) and losing it might be more of a pain in the rear end.

I'm assuming that a near-occasion-of-lightning that comes in over the coax will probably make the whole unit dead, if that's not true none of the above holds.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

ah okay, thanks! i had heard it's very important to "ground" the HD antenna due to protentional lightning/fire hazards but i didn't know if this would be considered "grounding" it.

It varies by region, too. Here in Denver the air is super dry and there have been days where there's enough wind that my ham antennas develop enough static charge to spark to ground. That's another situation in which having some sort of surge protector to shunt those volts off will help

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

It varies by region, too. Here in Denver the air is super dry and there have been days where there's enough wind that my ham antennas develop enough static charge to spark to ground. That's another situation in which having some sort of surge protector to shunt those volts off will help

cool, thanks again. yeah I really don't care about losing an HD Homerun box or whatever, i just wanted to prevent house fires and stuff

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if lightning wants to gently caress your poo poo up, it's going to gently caress your poo poo up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep, having lightning protection doesn't actually protect you from lightning strikes. What it does is give your insurance company the 'I Tried' confirmation so they actually pay out the claim.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i actually one time had lightning strike my parents house and it resulted in my p3 700 mhz desktop from ever booting again

it took me a few days to figure out but taking out the PCI ethernet card got it booting again. so i guess lightning traveled through the coax, to the modem, over the ethernet, only to my PC?? the modem wasn't even affected somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
sounds like you had a weak ethernet card, op