Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There was some discussion in the Woodworking thread recently about this guy's videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA
(Turn on captions and he does a little explaining)

This guy's channel is more colonial/early america but also really great:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr2d4As312LulcajAkKJYw

I thought it was interesting discussion and something I am interested in so chat about it here I guess. I can't be bothered to write a mega-OP about something I don't know much about so, I guess the rule is no electricity and no internal combustion engines? (Steam engines are rad and always allowed). Survivalism/homesteading/living off-grid, all that stuff is welcome here.

I do some hand tool woodworking and have always been very interested in early industrial/pre-industrial crafts and would love to learn more about that stuff. I could spend weeks at colonial williamsburg kind of places.

Anyway, I really want to go dig a hole in the ground and dig some clay and make some little pots and build a kiln and stuff. Some of my favorite woodworking times have been out in the woods with a sharp axe or hatchet making walking sticks and mauls and dumb little lean-to's and now I think I'm gonna add 'mud' to my list of materials.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

I think I'm going to actually order a froe from this company

http://www.logbuildingtools.ca/specialized_access.html

Mostly for the sake of ordering from a smaller/independent and Canadian company

Also because the Lee Valley froes are out of stock for at least another month and I want to froe as soon as I can.

I have a Lee Valley froe and I don't really like it. Made in China and it has a sort of rounded taper to it like an axe or kitchen knife, and I think it supposed to be a straight taper like a wedge.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mederlock posted:

Is this our catchall thread for rustic/antique hand tool woodwork too? If yes, what is everyone's thoughts on building a workbench? I'm pretty attracted to the English Joiners style bench but I'm open to other suggestions. I'll post some pics of my axe/axe heads and some of my other tools later too. Can't wait to restore them all :v: got a phantom bevelled 3.5lbs Jersey head I'm really looking forward to hanging.
Yeah you might get more responses on a lot of that stuff in the woodworking thread, but feel free to talk about it here too if you prefer. ColdPie has a thread going where he is building stuff with hand tools only that may also be of interest.

I didn’t really have a goal for this thread but if there’s a rule (there isn’t) it’s ‘no electricity that comes from power lines’ or something. If you want to talk about your homemade steam engine dynamo or solar powered well or whatever that’s cool and awesome.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've been watching 'Victorian Farm' on prime and the narration is a little overdramatic but there are some really cool old farm machines and watching a babby sheep get born was neat

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

A mattock would work, you can just sharpen the blade.
Mine is very soft steel that won't really hold a good edge. I think you'd want something with good high carbon steel welded on the edge.