Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Oh god this is the hardest choice ever. I’d love to go full psycho again and make him three (pee and poo) his bed wherever he’s sleeping, but:
We’re in his court. He’s got backup, lots of witnesses, and authority here.
Also, I mean, you know, the whole diplomatic situation thing. We have obligations to cute and powerful kitties to not gently caress things up for them.

But I don’t know what option to pick because the rest (expect the last) all have decent upsides...

But I think we should hold off for now on pulling the psychopath trigger. Maybe later, maybe after we’ve made some more connections, maybe when it’ll be more dramatic.

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Question Answered!

Edit: update on the previous page

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Oh, that’s bad. We definitely don’t want to let the tyrant take over. Using the silver mind would be wonderful, but it’s only a 50-50 chance and it would probably expose our identity to Deimos. Puking is right out. Making his drink slip sounds great since it would probably disrupt his concentration as well, but darkness tends to cost HP, which is bad for us right now. The cats have been clear that the social stuff is our job, so wheeling in Chips or tagging in Santek doesn’t feel great. And trying to bluff and posture right now, with his mind whammy in place, probably won’t go great either (although it’s a viable option for later).

I think the least worst option is spilling his drink. But it’s a tough one.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

On the plus side, vomiting on someone is maybe the most feline diplomacy option we've been offered thus far.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, this is... a pile of bad options on top of bad options. And we have no idea how our HP is, if the pills have finished working their magic or if we're still sub-0 HP. 9 on 3d6 is too risky here, and as amusing as puking in his lap would be, the cats may not approve of us passing off the people giving them food. And tapping in the Tyrant seems bad, just because he sounds like he wants FULL control. I voted to give Deimos a kitten to pet, maybe we can politely excuse ourselves for a moment to throw up in the washroom.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

As a warning: we're currently tied between ESP and puking at 5 votes each, with Santek coming in third at 4. I don't think we want to glitch this.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

pumpinglemma posted:

As a warning: we're currently tied between ESP and puking at 5 votes each, with Santek coming in third at 4. I don't think we want to glitch this.

If we tie, crit the ESP roll hopefully we make him puke in his own lap.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Yeah, I'd love to cower Deimos for the third time but maybe not right this moment.

OTOH it would make the other notice us.

I just voted for puking on his lap because that does seem like the most cat option.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I would be fine with puking in his lap if it wasn't for the "Ulthar sends their regards" part of the vote. Like I said, the cats probably wouldn't like being associated with pissing off the people currently feeding them. Although Cass might like someone shaming Deimos, and it would be nice if we could make SOMEONE at MC&D at least kind of friendly to us.

Edit: completely unrelated to any of what's going on, but it just clicked on me. We are hard to understand when we talk, but are perfectly clear when we sing, we are heavily associated with darkness and the color black... are we Ozzy Osborne?

Randalor fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 22, 2021

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about too, Deimos is a dick, and embarrassing him would probably make Cass feel better toward us.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Randalor posted:

I would be fine with puking in his lap if it wasn't for the "Ulthar sends their regards" part of the vote. Like I said, the cats probably wouldn't like being associated with pissing off the people currently feeding them. Although Cass might like someone shaming Deimos, and it would be nice if we could make SOMEONE at MC&D at least kind of friendly to us.

Edit: completely unrelated to any of what's going on, but it just clicked on me. We are hard to understand when we talk, but are perfectly clear when we sing, we are heavily associated with darkness and the color black... are we Ozzy Osborne?
We've certainly got the hairstyle for it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Gonna Socially Cut This Steppin' Cokefiend By...

Say nothing, and put Chips in his lap. - 1
[!Darkness - 15] Make his drink slip. - 1
Tell him that his ex is old news, because there's a NEW Singer around. - 0
[!PSI ESP - 9] Try to disrupt his social hold by waking the Silver Mind. - 7
Try to get Santek to team in and take off some heat. - 5
[Tyrant Manifest - 19] Let me handle it. ALL of it. - 2
"Ulthar sends its regards!!" (Puke In His Lap) - 7

...LOADING

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Well... both of those at the same time would CERTAINLY weaken my psychic hold if I had any.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Ahh, the ultimate hell art of PSI: throwing up.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Had to vote for puking in his lap, there's no way that doesn't earn us reputation points with the cats

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

:munch:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
drat ties. Puking is both the ultimate insult and apparently a cat thing to do.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

habituallyred posted:

drat ties. Puking is both the ultimate insult and apparently a cat thing to do.
How do you think they produce hairballs?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

As options that tie go, have a good feeling about these two.
Mostly because glitching to do both probably won't have too many unforeseen consequences. :v:

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Oh god it's happening :frogsiren:

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

drat, I need to read these updates quicker. Missed the vote. Would have been for puking. Maximum feline.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

This guy, this GUY, he's asking a lot of questions and he's invading your personal space and your body is freaking out and he's putting his hand too close to you and you just want to eat your lunch and not have to gab a lot and you gotta do the right thing and your brain is starting to color silver, peeking out from under the black, staring at that carnelian and, and you're just-

(!PSI ESP ɑ) 9 - [2]+[6]+[1] = 9 - JUST Made It!
(HT - Pukies) 14 - [6]+[4]+[4] = 14 - JUST Made It!

Ohhh, oh, the silver is really bright now, isn't it? Good thing he can't see under the mask. The crow mask, hiding a silver brain, spackled with mushroom rainbow, crowned in black, under sky of blue. It's operating. It's waking up from sleep into a dream and through a body raging with the jade of Mana. It's subtly not showing itself, but rather using the infinite reflection to peek around the corners, to angle the light, to understand the situation. It speaks. It speaks it speaks and it says-

The Silver Mind posted:

Puke in his lap.

Come again?

The Silver Mind posted:

Puke. In his lap.

You're not sure how-

Trash Compactor posted:

PUKE IN HIS LAP

Oh God. Stomach lurch. He stinks of some really expensive cologne. He reeks of sweat from someone on too many uppers. He smells of something carnelian burning the edges of your social sanity. He's too goddamn close and he's demanding demanding tell me tell me who are you who are you why aren't you eating are you too good for the best MC&D has to offer are you trying to show some weird restraint hey, hey, hey, hey, heBBBLLGGGHHHFFFRRGGHHHHHHHHHH

You neatly adjust your mask, press a hand to his shoulder to get him out of your face, lean down, and then powerpuke a purple-colored storm of alchemical waste directly onto his billion-dollar shirt and stupid lovely slacks. The whole mess in one go. Some relief at last, and he's the toilet who's going to deal with it.

The Carnelian Chance's lances all retract at once, the psionic hold shattered instantly, reflected off the infinite mirror. The red-masked man goes deathly silent, while you reach under to daub your face clean, coughing up a last wad of goo. Wow, you feel so much better! Plus he's QUIET now, blessed silence. In fact... the entire room is now silent, and staring right at you. Chips leaps into your lap demanding pets while prrting in approval, which you oblige to while the red-mask man stands up, tries to catch the puke, fails to do so, and gets it all over his pants and the seat. He shakily states "Well that... that's Ulthar. That's uh..."

The Silver Mind cools all thoughts, and disarms the man's psychic fire. A one-two he didn't see coming. Even his amphetamine high is cancelled, leaving his hands shaking subtly from the sudden come-down. He has nothing. NOTHING.

"That's, hah. That's cat. That's what I... I... I'll leave you to it, then."

He can't find the words for rage or a retort. He's been wiped silver-pure. Everyone stares at him as he leaves, dripping bile, not a single word uttered until the door is closed and a minute has passed.

Duke Sauber is the first to clap his claws and cheer with a raised glass. "HAAAA! Red, in tooth and claw my little Ambassador!" The ratling is clapping as well, her body language relieved. "A riposte most fine! Deft! Daring! The most cattish of cuts!" Even the Dimenionalist is clapping, and there's laughter in him, laughter you heard once upon a time. Roma and Amora are hiding smiles and hissy snickers behind their hands. Everyone seems happy that the red-mask man is gone! Plus, you feel x100 better, silver soothing your stomach.

DREAMING: [ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][50%]

Sauber motions to everything gathered. "A toast! We heard all we needed to from that whelp, his loose lips preparing us for a night of predation. Let us drink to one another, to the health of Vermillion, of Ulthar, of Daoloth!"

Yeah. Sure! You raise your glass of the Cadanza Red, clinking it with the others as the kitten meows and bats at your hands, before you angle it to take a sip and

The Silver Mind posted:

set it down on the Psychic's table. The New Cadanza Red was really good, no doubt. Helps when your soil is holy and filled with gemglitter volcanic ash. You do wonder what the Old Cadanza Red tastes like, though.

You put your attention back with your patron. You both had an agreement, ever since he allowed you to know of his existence. You both keep ears to the ground, and you share what you've learned together, to paint a more clear picture of the colony's reality. "So... they went down into the Dream. Making a Pact with Ulthar isn't what I'd have suggested, but the Emperor of Hell does what a witch pleases. This is good, really, we need to know what threats the Fae pose to us. An invitation to mingle with the movers and shakers, under guise of being Ulthar, will let us have our cake and eat it too. I'm surprised they took the Miner along. Her ironblood is going to be a challenge to everyone's magic nature."

The Miner... the first soul you met and spoke with, after you woke to this life. The one who Named you. The one who, in just a few months time, would become and would then always have been known as the Holiest Knight in the World.

You pick the glass back up, the silver light of the tent dancing ruby shadows on the wall while you

take another sip. Wow. This is some amazingly tasty wine. Sauber complemented your choice, telling you that there was only 100 bottles left; the grape it was made from now extinct with the continent's sinking. It whets your appetite again, now that you're empty of bile. You stare at your stomach, and ask if it's ready to give lunch another go.

Fork, and knife. Wait... which fork are you supposed to use? Wait, wait, no. You're surrounded by superpsycho megapredators. Nobody here CARES about that. You can just dig in and eat like you're starving. Which you are! The steak goes down with a little difficulty- it tastes good, but the texture is weird, your brain unable to decide if it's more like fish, chicken, or beef. The calamari is equally challenging; the flavor is nothing like what you thought it'd be, and you need the sauce it comes with to get it down. The fried parts taste great, but the texture and taste is, uh, probably not human compatible. But you're strong, right? You're at the table with the apex. Time to act the alpha.

(HT(-2) - Hold Down The Steak...) 12 - [2]+[3]+[2] = 7 - Success!
(HT(-2) - Choke Down The Calamari...) 12 - [5]+[4]+[2] = 11 - Success!

Ok! You'll admit it. You don't like this food much at all, but it does fill your belly... in fact, you're pretty sure that the food is feeding you in the waking world as well, which goes to show how far MC&D can go with its accommodations. You finish it off with the cherries, which serves as a syrup-sweet palette cleanser. You're not sure how a fruit can taste 'bright', but these manage it. Much better flavor.

The wolf-mask rat speaks up while you digest. "My jacicopines! Listen listen. We must away soon for the gathering and auction, no? I have for you - only you here - secrets that I am want to share. Listen!"

Oh, this seems interesting. But before you pay attention, you need to listen to your body. Because the magic of your biology is telling you that you just ate the remains of two VERY powerful watery beings, and that they're being processed into something special.

What has the Water Dragon Steak and Yellow King Calamari gifted you with?

{Voting ends later tonight.}

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
AMAZING.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

:unsmith: That was absolutely wonderful.

Although I think the poll might be broken? I voted for ҉̗͔̬ ̮̮̦̖̜̣ ͎̰͇̤͍̲̝ ̲̝̗̲̗ but the results are still showing zero for me.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hm. Here's a backup vote in case it's not working for the reason I think it's not. If strawpoll is down entirely, I can re-up the vote later.

https://www.strawpoll.me/42689162

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

pumpinglemma posted:

:unsmith: That was absolutely wonderful.

Although I think the poll might be broken? I voted for ҉̗͔̬ ̮̮̦̖̜̣ ͎̰͇̤͍̲̝ ̲̝̗̲̗ but the results are still showing zero for me.

:same:

I don't think Strawpoll likes the characters.

Edit: Nope it's Strawpoll itself, voted on the new one and it didn't do jack.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Alright. I'll include the vote again next update once it's back up. Thanks for checking.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I'm glad I voted for Silver Mind and got the tie.
The glitch option is tempting, but I think water breathing is the correct choice here. Being able to breathe underwater might add a ton of new options and paths. Although, glitch options do tend to win whenever they're presented against anything normal, so I feel I'm in a minority.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Razakai posted:

I'm glad I voted for Silver Mind and got the tie.
The glitch option is tempting, but I think water breathing is the correct choice here. Being able to breathe underwater might add a ton of new options and paths. Although, glitch options do tend to win whenever they're presented against anything normal, so I feel I'm in a minority.
If playing FF14 has taught me anything, it's that being able to breathe underwater is shockingly useful...But is it something that we can replicate with something like a potion of water breathing, and more importantly are we going to ever actually want to be underwater? There's been something terrifying inside almost every body of water we've come across or are aware of, from the giant monster that sank the ship, to the nebulous but still very lethal whatever lurking in the Mountain lake that the Blue Book mentioned (was that the same one we crossed with the kayak or a different one?), to Doubler themselves who reside in some distant body of water. And this is a horror game set in a death world, so I doubt that trend will change. Water breathing will no doubt be a vital element to surviving the Doubler fight if there's no way to haul it out of the water, but there's probably a way to obtain it temporarily prior to the fight recorded in the Blue Book, and aside from that I think it'd be a very good idea to stay as far away from deep bodies of water as possible. But if we ever become confident about surviving what horrors lurk in the cold darkness beneath the waves, water breathing will probably be very, very useful.

Water Immunity...becoming untouchable by an entire element is very tempting, but do we know of anything that uses water that we're likely to piss off? Even the Lord most associated with water as far as we're aware of, Doubler, seems to use physical attacks rather than elemental attacks if Dual Bite is what it says on the tin. Does blood count as being water elemental?

I'm leaning towards the glitch option, we've only been as successful as we've been because of glitches and breaking the game. While there's always the risk of pushing the game too far and causing a hard crash that prematurely ends the game, or getting ourselves killed or worse as the game glitches out and puts us in a no-win scenario or softlock (like it almost did in the office building when it kept spawning unwinnable fights on every step we took), it feels like every time we've glitched the game we've come closer to some kind of secret or central truth about the world. Also, the glitches tend to produce the most interesting story elements.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I love everything about that update. Kitty diplomacy!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I say glitch option, let's see what the gently caress happens.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Strange. On the second poll, I definitely voted for water breathing, but it shows 100% of 10 votes for glitch option.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Water Breathing sounds amazing, Water Immunity also potentially amazing, but I went for the glitch option because I am thirsty for lore.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted for the glitch option (well, okay, the "strawpoll does not like zalgotext option").

And that was magnificent.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Oh, it partly came back up? Still not working with a few new test polls though. I may as well call the vote now with the 10 given and hope strawpoll comes up later for the next update.

VOTING CLOSED - Water Blessed by...

You fear no flood. [Water Breathing] -
You fear no ocean. [Water Immunity] -

ERR - 00010

Sheet updated with the option chosen.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Black August posted:

Oh, it partly came back up? Still not working with a few new test polls though. I may as well call the vote now with the 10 given and hope strawpoll comes up later for the next update.

VOTING CLOSED - Water Blessed by...

You fear no flood. [Water Breathing] -
You fear no ocean. [Water Immunity] -

ERR - 00010

Sheet updated with the option chosen.
Tourmaline (Rai)ns, eh? A "False Holy" spell that seems to turn off violence within an area for a certain period of time by summoning a rain shower. That's pretty drat good, depending on what the blanked out text in the spell entry is and how much it fucks with reality when cast.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

GilliamYaeger posted:

Tourmaline (Rai)ns, eh? A "False Holy" spell that seems to turn off violence within an area for a certain period of time by summoning a rain shower. That's pretty drat good, depending on what the blanked out text in the spell entry is and how much it fucks with reality when cast.
Goodness, yeah! It's also going to be interesting how much FP it costs, but it could be really good for handling getting attacked when we're vastly outclassed.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, every roguelike needs an "end combat and give me time to run the hell away" button, and as weird as this is getting, it *is* still a roguelike.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I mean mostly we've dealt with that so far by puking or screaming like a maniac and shooting ourselves repeatedly in the head. This might be better.

EDIT: Lmao I forgot that we did both those things to Deimos. He's just fun to puke on, I guess.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
^^^ Yes

The only problem I have with water breathing for this choice is that none of our stuff is waterproof, except the sword. Water damage and equipment degradation are both a thing here. And I can't imagine swinging a sword underwater is going to do us much good.