Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
If he’s an alcoholic looking for help drinking, why hasn’t he become active in the AA community?

People who are recovering from addiction need a network of support, not just one caring family, as you saw, it’s too much of a burden for one family to handle.

For a sincerely committed person, AA (or NA or any of these programs) is the only way to stay away from their addiction long term. This along with being stabilized on meds that even the gutted ACA would provide would go a long way.

I think that might be part of the problem, any program would ask that he give up his lifestyle to achieve sobriety. For a period of time for him to become stable, wouldn’t that be for the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Video Nasty posted:

AA/NA was most likely a waste of time to him, as it doesn't provide him actual housing or mental care unless he believes in God and he's not willing to reduce his integrity to that kind of thing.

It's honestly a "higher power".

If you get the shakes (withdrawal), you're an alcohol addict, this is not my opinion, this is physical addiction as medical fact.
I suggest that you attend an Alanon meeting OP, you're well intentioned and ill informed, this leads to at best, frustration.
An addict's sponsor is someone who has more knowledge than a layman about the subject, and it's them, as well as group leaders who provide and direct people towards the resources you speak of. I'm sure you know what an enabler is, by giving him a place to drink to the point where he has withdrawals, buying him vape carts, that's enabling an addict.

You did more harm than good for that man.

Good luck.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
You may have noticed posts by goons who are better informed about the rooms than I am.

Don’t be defensive, it’s one thing to give someone a hand up, it’s another entirely to put up someone you clearly admire for a finite period of time. I mean what I said about enabling him, imagine you had made this same thread while he was still with you. Imagine how much more good you’ve done for him, how much less frustration your kind family would have had to experience.

I’ve met people who are actively involved as sponsors, they very often have exactly what that gentleman artist needed. A way into a recovery home, a way into temporary work.

Phiz called it if I read into his post right anyways. Dudes gone, this is about you.

To the guy who responded with his own version of smug, you know drat well it’s better for everyone involved for this admired, respected hobo to get a shower, hot meal, respect and some clean loving socks than it is to just squat in someone’s yard. Someone who wanted to just help a homeless guy for a bit isn’t someone posting THAT OP. That looked like a humanizing story of a man who’s life is in the street. Gonz is a human being who deserves respect for sure, respect for his desire even to not seek addiction help, but respect is a double edged sword, hence that “do some day labor” poo poo you posted. A grown person is responsible for themselves and their decisions in the end.

We all know that.

What’s not said is that (analogy warning) exchanging a junkie’s needles is one thing, giving them a place to flop and shoot is another.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

My radical take here is that it's good a guy provided a struggling addict with a place to feel like a human being.

Yeah sure, I can agree with this too, what’s purely good or bad?

Thank you for clarifying Phiz, for what it’s worth I agree with that too.

One of my long time close friends is a recovering heroin addict, along with a bunch of people I like less than her. Many of my close friends have hep c. I was a homeless youth.
I hope that clarifies my analogy.
Take it as you will.