Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

One of the windows on the house has a little hole in the outer pane. Looks like somebody shot it with a bb gun... but there's another hole precisely like it in a window on the shed behind the house, so I'm wondering if it's just some defective glass.

Anyway, what should I expect to pay to get the pane replaced? It's not a huge window, perhaps 2'x2'. Horizontal sliding. The hole is, of course, on the fixed part of the window, not the sliding side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Motronic posted:

lololol. No. It is not defective glass. It's been shot at.

The glass itself is a few dollars. How much it costs depends on what type of window it is (horizontal sliding is not nearly specific enough - is it single pane, double? Aluminum? Wood?), how hard it is to get at (looks like bars on the outside of your shot up window), and what labor rates are in your area are.

I guess I thought "the outer pane" was a clear enough indicator, but it is a double-paned window. Aluminum frame. And yes, of course it manages to be one of the two windows that have bars over them, which are perhaps 4 inches from the glass and held on by 4 bolts. Area is Albuquerque, where drat near everybody puts bars over the windows here, even in the nice parts of town, so at least the glass guys should be used to it.

My deep apologies for assuming that the identical damage which also appears on the shed in the fenced-in backyard might have arisen from cheap or poorly-installed glass instead of rampant jackasses with BB guns, although frankly that wouldn't be especially surprising considering we're near a high school.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Motronic posted:

That could have been a storm window, it could have been something else.

So it's a double pane window. It's supposed to have inert gas between the panes. You need to contact someone who actually know how to work on the brand of window, which should be in one of the corners of the glass somewhere. It needs more than a glass repair/replacement to return it to it's original function.

Thanks. I've got a guy coming out next week for a quote.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Today I went to replace one of the bulbs in the kitchen track lighting. I was having trouble remembering how it goes back on the track, so I removed the head next to it to see how it worked. Having figured it out, I replaced both heads and flipped the switch, but neither turned on. Removing the second head and re-installing it had apparently made it stop working.

As an experiment, I removed another head, then put it back, and it too stopped working. I now have only 2 out of 5 heads working, so I'm stopping before I throw the kitchen into darkness entirely.

I used my voltage detector pen and I see that the track appears to have power, and it also lights up in the exact same pattern around heads that are working and that are not. I used my multimeter and verified continuity between the track contacts and the bulb socket.

I feel reasonably confident that I am re-installing these heads properly, but here I am with half the lights out. Any ideas?

Edit: gently caress a duck, googling had turned up sites telling me to bend the contacts *up* a little, but it seems I have to bend them *down*. poo poo's working now. gently caress.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 31, 2020

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Apologies if this isn't an appropriate thread. We're moving to California soon and need to figure out what company we're going to use for our stuff. There's always U-Haul, but we'd be willing to pay a bit more to avoid driving a big lovely box truck. Both U-Pack and Trinity Moving seem ok, but of course having used neither I don't really know. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So the master bathroom has one of those pebble-and-grout floors in the shower. Looks nice, but the grout has become pretty dingy in parts... I tried to stay on top of scrubbing it, but clearly didn't do a good enough job, and I didn't know until recently that you're supposed to re-apply a sealant from time to time to help keep it nice. Recommendations for brightening it up? I've tried scrubbing with a vinegar+water mixture, and I tried bleach today, but neither seemed to do too much--although maybe I didn't let either sit long enough before I scrubbed.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

I've had good luck with the scrubbing bubbles foaming bleach spray in getting grout clean. It's a reactive measure, for sure, but it works well enough as long as things aren't too far gone. For some reason it worked where a standard bleach/water solution didn't.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I actually have a bottle of it, but the sprayer is busted and I'm sure half the "magic" comes from the way the nozzle sprays it. I need to make a Lowes run anyway.

H110Hawk posted:

Make sure you hose off the whole floor thoroughly before moving to a "new" chemical. Don't want to accidentally kill yourself. :v: Easy to do, just take a shower or whatever, but you really don't want even a little bit of chlorine gas.

Definitely. I'm very paranoid about that sort of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My new garage has only two outlets: the ceiling outlet for the door opener, and a NEMA 14-50R outlet on the back wall. Now, I have yet to find my tester (still boxed up) and verify that it is actually powered, but assuming it is indeed electrified: is there any safe and code-compliant way I can break that out into regular 110V outlets?