Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I have a question and I’m not really sure if there is a good thread to ask it in. The plumber is coming tomorrow and has to cut into my bedroom wall to repair pipes for my shower. I have to get someone to replace the drywall after but he can’t come for a few days after the work. I’m wondering what the best solution is for covering up the giant hole that will be in the wall until the drywall guy can come and fix it? I was thinking of either covering it with plastic or cardboard. Any other better solutions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Hey guys I have a question about ants in my house, this might be a little long winded. About two weeks ago I started noticing a few ants in my kitchen which isn’t abnormal for this time of year. I usually put down hot shots and within a couple of days they are gone. This year has been much worse. A few days after I noticed one or two on my sink it went up to 9 or 10 all at one time. I put down a hot shot and that didn’t work after a couple of days I grabbed some liquid Terro bait traps. I figured out that they were coming from behind a crack in the counter where the sink is at. They kept coming for a few days and the traps were not stopping them. I decided to grab a Terro ant killer spray and started treating the area around that corner of the house. After a few days they were gone completely. Then I began to notice them about 5 days ago in the bathroom and bedroom directly about the kitchen and that’s when I found what looks like an ant hill in the ground right near that corner of the house along with the little guys scurrying up a little wire that goes into that corner of the downstairs. From their I grabbed some Terro outdoor liquid baits and some granulate with borax to try and stop them from coming in. Today I killed 11 of them in the bathroom and have become very frustrated. I tried to grab some pictures of one because I have no clue what kind they are but the pictures are not the best and I might try to grab some more in the morning. Any help identifying them and and advice would be appreciated. The one in the picture is about medium sized, I’ve seen some smaller and a few larger. This is my first time posting here so please let me know if this is not the place for this.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

The Swinemaster posted:

Definitely looks like carpenter ants to me, but carpenter ants don't eat the wood, they just tunnel in it. Have you seen any little piles of sawdust and ant junk (frass) around their active areas in the house? That's a sure sign.

As far as killing the, I'm not the best help as I just hired an exterminator for my place. I know the different baits can take 1-2 weeks to take effect. You also want to be sure to not mix bait and contact-kill stuff, as they will then avoid the bait.

Ants also use scent trails, so if they are coming in from outside, give the area a good clean to erase their chemical markers.

I haven’t noticed and piles of anything where they are coming in. I’ve read that you can spray dish soap and water on an area they come in to erase their makers, do you know if that works or if I need something else? Also if you don’t mind me asking how much did you pay the exterminator?

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 23, 2021

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

The Swinemaster posted:

I think any soap will be fine - it will hit reset on their trails. Of course, if they can still come inside (and have a reason to) they will eventually do so. I paid $875 Canuckistanian shekels for a pro. That was for 3 visits and a one-year guarantee. For me, it was worth every penny. Getting bit on the neck by a carpenter ant sold me on it.

Thanks for the responses. I've been trying everything the last couple of days and they just keep coming. I gave up and called the exterminator today because I saw some in 2 rooms I haven't yet and they are coming tomorrow.