Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Bookmarked! I'm always amazed at the quality of help this thread gives, and how quickly. Thanks to everyone who participates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

it shriveled up posted:

Not exactly sure where to ask this, but I'm looking into asking my family to help chip in for a wood burning stone for my parents this year for Christmas. My dad was recently diagnosed with a terminal cancer, and a wood burning stove has been one thing they have wanted in their house since they retired a few years back, but just haven't been able to afford it. So it's a nice comfort item I'd love to be able to surprise them with. What would be a good option to go with that isn't too costly? I'm thinking $1k at the most. They live in New Mexico close to Albuquerque, so it can get pretty cold, but their walls are pretty thick, so it actually stays fairly comfy with the electric heat they have. Their house is approx 1200 sq/ft. My dad also wants it to have a fairly large window on the front as well as a blower.

This is the one they had been looking at, but it's a bit above the budget I'm setting.
https://www.osburnwoodstoves.com/Osburn_1500_Osburn_Stove_Osburn_Wood_Stove_p/obo1501.htm

I dunno if it's helpful, and I don't know anything about the topic, but the two things that popped to my mind: Is there such a thing as "refurbished" or "scratch and dent" sales for these stoves? Otherwise, is there a good used market for them?

My question: Is the black/brown stuff in this picture mold? If yes, how do I get rid of it so it does not return, as it seems to be coming from inside/under the overflow drain cap:

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

Most big box stores have a "scratch and dent" section that takes a mild to moderate discount off.

Oh dang it sorry I see you're talking about wood stoves.

No worries I also wanted to just bump that goon's question so this helps too 🌝

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Tezer posted:

Is that a giant hole someone cut into the side of your tub, or an optical illusion?

If you mean the black area that must be optical illusion. It's just a dark build up of some kind, maybe mold?

To add: normal cleaning spray didn't do poo poo to it which made me nervous