Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The grout at the seam of where my tiled floor meets my tiled tub/shower in a guest bath is cracked all the way through. Do I need to get an oscillating tool to remove it and then try to match the original grout? Remove the bad stuff and put in something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Yeah, it's a plain change:

The grout is a grey color, so I suspect something like this will work: https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Silicone-2-10-1-oz-Gray-Silicone-Caulk/3084943

ETA: I also have a cracked tile in another bathroom, same tile and grout that's in the images above. For that, I'd need to use grout, right?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Sigh...what I thought was dirt or grime, apparently isn't.

This is in our 22-month-old house, central Florida. This side faces north, which apparently causes problems due to moisture not evaporating quickly enough? Anyway, what's the best way to fix this? I tried using different cleaners but nothing seems to work. The hardware is also already rusted out.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

H110Hawk posted:

Still have a warranty on the house? Because that is hilarious. If hardware in florida isn't meant to be wet basically 24/7 it's not suitable for outdoor use.

Nope, warranty was for 12 months

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

H110Hawk posted:

Well, I would see if Kwikset offers a warranty on the hardware then. In the mean time take it apart (2 long screws on the inside) and see if it's rusted on the inside. Hopefully kwikset offers a longer warranty. What other hardware is rusted out?

Yeah I plan to replace them with something else entirely, since these weren't really meant for outdoor use. The hinges on all the exterior doors (there's another door on this same exterior wall) are rusted as well. So I need to replace those, but also take care of whatever the dark spots are. I imagine it's something like sand it down, apply Killz, repaint.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

H110Hawk posted:

I would try a sponge (not a scrubber) and some mildew killer to start. I bet it wipes right off, but it's hard to tell what it is with the 1999 camera you're taking those pictures with.

Also it's probably worth seeing if there is a longer statutory limit for this stuff, there is a chance they're required to keep the non-mechanical stuff working longer, or were supposed to use appropriate materials to begin with in construction. Mildew is a fact of life in Florida, but unless the wood underneath it is wet that could just be on the surface. Might be worth a call to the city to ask.

Hey man, that's an iPhone 12.

I'll try a sponge; last time I used a rag, some came off but not any significant amount

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The threshold transition strip from our LVP to our pool door fell off. I was able to pull up the headless nails. Should I:

a) put a bit of Liquid Nails over the dried glue and weigh it down for a few hours, or

b) scrape up the dried glue blobs in a manner that somehow doesn't damage the floor and put a lot of adhesive, weigh it down for a few hours

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Push it back until it drops into the void?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Final Blog Entry posted:

Those things have a wide rim that sits on the surface of the drywall so not an option with them

Then you gotta figure out which one will leave the bigger hole: pushing it in or pulling it out.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

The threshold transition strip from our LVP to our pool door fell off. I was able to pull up the headless nails. Should I:

a) put a bit of Liquid Nails over the dried glue and weigh it down for a few hours, or

b) scrape up the dried glue blobs in a manner that somehow doesn't damage the floor and put a lot of adhesive, weigh it down for a few hours

Reposting this, as I still haven't gotten around to fixing it yet

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Got some cracks in our ~2 year old shower and bathtub, one along a vertical corner and another horizontal crack along the base alongside the floor (i.e. plane changes). Is the correct thing to do:

- Get a tool to remove grout
- Remove it
- Replace with color-appropriate silicone caulk because that poo poo was done wrong from the get-go

For the tool, should I trust myself with an attachment for a reciprocating saw, or go with the old-school grout saw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

What's the best way to fix interior inside-corner cracks and outside-corner nicks? Just some DAP paintable caulk for the inside? Everything I find for the outside is full-on corner bead repairs, which I don't need. Spackle?