Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I bought a house and I plan on converting the basement workshop into an office. To do so, these cool old cabinets need to be removed. I put them on Craigslist under FREE and got ten million responses, but it occurred to me that I have no idea how to remove them (or if I can) without destroying them and everything they're attached to. I don't really trust strangers to remove them carefully.

Interior:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Motronic posted:

They look like built ins. You don't remove them without destroying/dismantling them.

Aw nuts. Do people do that, though? Is it common?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Those look sick, you sure you can't just carve out a couple spots (e.g. desk nook) to turn that into office space?

Yeah, maybe I'll just do that. Or I'll just paint Warhammer figurines there, who needs an office, really?

Does anyone know a good guide for building the studs for a wet wall? I'm coming along in my conversion of a closet to a bathroom, but I'm not sure how to put the studs in for the shower wall itself.

Edit: Visual guide or video would be most appreciated because words hard

Christoph fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 24, 2020

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
So the bottom of these panels is looking a little weathered and I have a few questions for you wise, kind souls:

1) What's the best thing I could do to spruce it up?
2) What's causing it?
3) Should I be worried?

The basement does not smell like mildew and I have so far detected zero moisture intrusion.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

I'm putting sheetrock ceiling in this shower. For the flat top piece, which way should the factory edge face? Toward the angled piece? Or outward toward the rest of the room? Or does it matter?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Elviscat posted:

I hope by "sheetrock" you mean concrete board, or green board with a vapor barrier.

It is a handsome green, as you can see. Any clue about my question?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Slugworth posted:

The factory edge is meant to be butted up to other factory edges to present a shallow area for your tape and mud to even out. In your spot, I suspect it won't make much difference, but I'd put it towards the angled piece.

What the other guy said about cement board isn't wrong though. If you're using the fancy dancy schluter system, and installing it properly, they claim green board is fine, but if it were me, I'd still use cement board for the walls. If you're *not* using the schluter system, then you definitely need cement board on the walls.

Thank you for the input! I'll be covering it with FlexStone, so we'll see.

Another question: can I put an exhaust fan meant for the ceiling into a wall?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
When doing drywall mudding, is the consistency of the mud the same for seams as it is for inside corners? Or should it be different?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I hooked up my washer and water just instantly pours into the drum nonstop. This is top-loading Whirlpool that I got from a salvage place. Is it just shot or can it be fixed?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Thanks! Turns out it has like 3 other annoying problems so it's out.

Also, while installing it, one of the wall spigots (the hot water) is now leaking. It's one of the old fashioned ones. If anyone could point me to a simple guide on how to fix it I'd be very appreciative. Though I suppose step one is finding the shut off valve (just bought the house so I'm not yet familiar with it)

(I put the hose down the drain to make sure it didn't end up dripping over the side)

Right after this picture was taken I accidentally locked myself out and had to kick in the door. It's been a fun year so far.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
What exactly do I buy to connect this sink drain to the magic hole in the wall?

The new sink's drain is way over to the side

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

This worked perfectly, thank you all!

New query:
The igniter on my ancient furnace stopped working. Is it hopeless or should I try to get a replacement part?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Couple questions about some weird stuff going on in the back of my house.

Problem 1: Two issues combined to create a tiny river in my backyard. The first issue is that the house had no gutters (wtf), the second is that the yard slopes toward the house. Gutters have been installed, though the river still formed after a thunderstorm.

Can I just add dirt to it to level it? Or will that displace the problem?

I am hoping to add a mini-trench/rain garden to the middle of the yard (not pictured) to capture the water that flows down the hill.

Problem 2: The previous owner decided to throw concrete on top of the entirety of the rock wall in the back. These rock walls are a common feature in homes in this part of the South and I don't exactly know how to manage or repair them. I would find the feature charming if not for this failed mortar. What can I do to fix the problem? My guess is to painstakingly jab it all off and then add an actual mortar?

Bonus picture of my back deck becoming a lake after it rains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Is there a glue I can use to keep my spigot from inching forward during my shower and eventually rocketing into my shins again?

Pipe is copper, but the spigot attachment is new and therefore plastic.