Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

After using a prebuilt 980ti/i7-4790K system for the past 5 years, I've decided to upgrade and build my own. After a little trouble I finally got it ready with everything seemingly working. I was using my 980ti from my old system until my new 3080 arrived. Here is the system I'd built

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3m4m8J

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor
Total: $1170.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-18 14:39 EDT-0400

I'd gotten Windows installed, downloaded some ordinary programs and checked the temps using MSI Afterburner and noticed that some of the CPU cores (I think that's what they are) temps (55-60 degrees Celsius) seemed a bit high considering I wasn't really running anything other than a browser. So I wanted to launch a game to see how it fared when I ran a game. I choose Pinball FX3, nothing too demanding. Like seconds after I chose a table and started a game my PC just shut off and I couldn't turn it back on. I was only able to power it on after removing the Graphics card (980ti). I found that if I have the PSU power cable connected to it, the system will not power on. I can have it in the PCI slot and it will light up when the rest of the system boots when I power the system but once I plug the PSU cable to it, nothing turns on. Now the same thing happens with the card if I connect it to my old prebuilt that I removed it from to temporarily use on my new build. And that system has a completely different power supply, different motherboard etc....

The Super Flower power supply was the first thing that I got for my new build and I've used it for a little over a month when I wanted to try it out so I replaced my old power supply in my prebuilt system with it for no particular reason other than just to see if I could do it correctly. Worked perfectly fine with the 980ti/i7 4790k prebuilt system. Used it to play a few games, including the very game I was trying to play when this happened I've had my 980ti for 5 years, never had any issue with it. I'm not sure what happened in this new PC. My 980ti seems bricked as it doesn't work in my new build and it won't work in my old system I've had it in, which isn't that big of a worry when I'm expecting a 3080 in days but should I worry about my power supply? It's well reviewed and seems solid. It's new but I've been using it since September 4th and it's worked fine for the few games I've played it on and like I've said I've played that game a few times with that power supply and gpu in my old system. Could something else be the issue? I booted the game because my CPU seemed hot, could a CPU issue somehow cause my GPU to brick? I never touched the bios, no overclocking or anything. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

So...this might be an idiotic question, but in all of the shuffle(s), you did remember to plug both 8-pin connectors to the GPU yeah? Looks like that particular model takes 2x 8-pin connectors. Again, I know it's probably dumb but that wouldn't be the first time an issue like this was because of a missing plug/bad plug that wasn't going in all the way/bad cable.

The fact that you're equipped to take the GPU out and try it with a completely different system (including a second PSU) makes me think that the problem is with the GPU. I've never heard of Super Flower but it seems like a reasonably well-reviewed part, even though my initial feeling was that the PSU was bad. That wouldn't make a lot of sense if you now have the same problem on the old build though.