Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!

Asema posted:

The thread was fine. The posters in that thread that wanted to talk about the serious stuff self-policed and it was fine.

lol nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Asema posted:

Like I don't post in the thread. I have no interest in a games centric approach so I stay out of it, but I saw that this thread had 50+ posts since the last time Stux got probated for something stupid and read up about it and it's the same posters, making the same arguments, over the same dumb bullshit.

the thread, that you just admitted you don't post in and stay out of, was absolutely not fine.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If you want a more tightly moderated forum, there are options. They come in the Far Right and Far Left variety, so you're either going to hang out with Nazis or places where you can't post anything in favor of Trump or landlords. There's nothing in between.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
that thread getting bad and having to be closed, and this thread getting bad both have the same exact thing in common. i'm going to follow this along until one of you scooby-doo it out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Walla posted:

If you want a more tightly moderated forum, there are options. They come in the Far Right and Far Left variety, so you're either going to hang out with Nazis or places where you can't post anything in favor of Trump or landlords. There's nothing in between.

Wouldn't recommend wanting to post something positive about Trump or landlords op

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The concept of a posting clique is due to how somethingawful's posting culture ebbs and flows. What normally happens is, there's an established norm where people behave or post a certain way. The people who don't like that don't engage until they see something egregious that really pisses them off. Someone posts that they dislike thing, and that starts a seed of people latching on and saying they also dislike this thing. Then people say this is a concentrated effort by outside attackers to shut down their fun space. The problem is, the people who don't like "Thing" are not going to be posting in that thread until there's something that really pisses them off, and then other pissed off people are going to join in.

On a personal note, vague posting about a posting clique that wants to shut down certain topics is less then helpful. If there's a dedicated effort by people who want to shut down legitimate conversation avenues, and these people should be pointed out with what they think shouldn't be a valid subject in games. I don't think anyone will do that though, because then they'd have to say "16-bitt buthead, and Stux keep poo poo posting that you shouldn't be allowed to post blizzard phrenology memes and discuss sexual assault in games."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

better not be any landlords in Games!!!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Wouldn't recommend wanting to post something positive about Trump or landlords op

Oh, I don't. gently caress Trump. I don't have a problem with my landlords, but that's because they're family and the rent is cheap. I wouldn't recommend them though.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
my head is very large which means i am very smart

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Guillotine Tom Nook

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

my head is very large which means i am very smart

yeah im enjoying the poe helmet too

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

The 7th Guest posted:

better not be any landlords in Games!!!

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boba Pearl posted:

The concept of a posting clique is due to how somethingawful's posting culture ebbs and flows. What normally happens is, there's an established norm where people behave or post a certain way. The people who don't like that don't engage until they see something egregious that really pisses them off. Someone posts that they dislike thing, and that starts a seed of people latching on and saying they also dislike this thing. Then people say this is a concentrated effort by outside attackers to shut down their fun space. The problem is, the people who don't like "Thing" are not going to be posting in that thread until there's something that really pisses them off, and then other pissed off people are going to join in.

On a personal note, vague posting about a posting clique that wants to shut down certain topics is less then helpful. If there's a dedicated effort by people who want to shut down legitimate conversation avenues, and these people should be pointed out with what they think shouldn't be a valid subject in games. I don't think anyone will do that though, because then they'd have to say "16-bitt buthead, and Stux keep poo poo posting that you shouldn't be allowed to post blizzard phrenology memes and discuss sexual assault in games."

I will openly say that the person who shits in multiple threads, is threadbanned from multiple threads, and is the topic of constant "this persons low-effort poo poo posting is annoying the thread" should absolutely be banned.

But the mods do coddle Stux so what's the secret

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Like we're talking about the Blizzard de-rail, but if we really start digging into that thread, we've also got posts like this.

Bust Rodd posted:

PC gaming certainly has a wide variety of upsides, but being kind of broke in college and looking forward to a new game for months and then discovering WHOOPS this game was built entirely on NVIDIA machines and your AMD card can’t even play this stupid game sucks on a level so proudly deep that I still feel the pain thinking about it a decade later…

RAGE :negative:

SirSamVimes posted:

The only blizzard game I have ever enjoyed esports of is HotS and lmao at that

Bust Rodd posted:

Love my slim + curvy gramma

Bust Rodd posted:

There was a contingent of people like myself who wanted DNF to be a deconstruction of the FPS genre told with tongue in cheek sensibilities.

What we got eventually was Bulletstorm

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I keep telling ya, reboot Duke Nukem as a lovable, himbo dingus

SCheeseman posted:

Just turn Duke into a Johnny Bravo-esque himbo.

Defend these posts in that thread.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
i think ive only posted in the industry thread five times and i barely read it

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boba Pearl posted:

Like we're talking about the Blizzard de-rail, but if we really start digging into that thread, we've also got posts like this.

Defend these posts in that thread.

Why would I? Why change the subject? What exactly does your post achieve here?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

boba is explaining the problem with the industry thread while you are just whining about stux like people do every 3 months in this thread

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Oh yeah, no trolling either. That's bannable. So is directing slurs at other posters, or cusswords, or poo poo like calling someone stupid or say die. Oh, and you can't call people orcs. Or post anything in a serious thread without citations. Or, or, or...

Anyway, gently caress that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Asema posted:

we were talking about the games industry thread for quite a few pages before you showed up, i'm not sure you have room to complain about changing the subject.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Asema posted:

Because the thread you don't read is fine, outside agents are attacking a safe space with good posters who don't mean no harm. You can't prove a negative, so the onus is on me to make a case that there are bad posts in the thread. If you want to continue to argue that the thread is fine, you're inherently accepting of these posts.

Though, in retrospect, half of these bad posts are by Bust Rodd.

I think I'm unintentionally arguing that Bust Rodd should be threadbanned.

Sorry Bust.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
bust rodd should be busted... into the ground because he's dead

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boba Pearl posted:

Because the thread you don't read is fine, outside agents are attacking a safe space with good posters who don't mean no harm. You can't prove a negative, so the onus is on me to make a case that there are bad posts in the thread. If you want to continue to argue that the thread is fine, you're inherently accepting of these posts.

Though, in retrospect, half of these bad posts are by Bust Rodd.

I think I'm unintentionally arguing that Bust Rodd should be threadbanned.

Sorry Bust.

Bust Rodd should probably be probated and the thread told "to shut up" and that really should be it. There's no reason to be in this thread imo

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Asema posted:

Bust Rodd should probably be probated and the thread told "to shut up" and that really should be it. There's no reason to be in this thread imo

???

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's pretty clear this is no longer about the Games Industry Dysfunction thread, especially because everyone is pointedly ignoring mutata's posts on the matter. I remember when they were driven out of the thread for trying to bring some sort of actual context to the discussion when people didn't want to hear it and it definitely solidified my opinion that a thread about the games industry that drives out actual workers in that industry has a problem. I couldn't solve that problem and eventually stopped being a mod, and now it seems like a) it's still a problem, and b) at this point it's just a proxy battle about some other forums grudges.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Boba and hell, even Stux are correct about the industry thread but anybody who sees Bust Rodd being Bust Rodd all over a thread and thinking, "drat you blizzwatch" probably needs to stop blaming boogeymen from CCCC. Note, neither Boba nor Stux have done this, by the by. The overlap between the people who actively post in the industry thread and the people who actively post in blizzwatch is like four people. Hell, I'm more likely to see Kith posting gifs in the OSHA thread, he hasn't posted in blizzlols for ages.

Meanwhile,

Mnoba posted:

that thread getting bad and having to be closed, and this thread getting bad both have the same exact thing in common. i'm going to follow this along until one of you scooby-doo it out.

You, on the other hand, really need to learn to let things go. I get why Stux has beef and frankly it's warranted but you've been called out for posting like a psychopath by other WoW goons, in the WoW subforum, over your grudge. Just step back and enjoy playing videogames, maybe stop taking things so seriously.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

mutata posted:

I don't really care what happens to the industry dysfunction thread, but overall I'm not sure how useful of a thread it is in general, or what people want to get out of it. I guess if it's just a industry drama RSS feed, that makes sense, but I stopped participating in it aside from the occasional joke post because it's frankly a honeypot for people who know little about the complexities of the industry, don't want to hear about those complexities, and who are angry about whatever company and want to dunk on them and feel good for doing so. It's often a source of eye roll-inducing quotes that get passed around among other industry devs I interact with outside of SA.

It's just kind of a cruddy thread, not to mention a huge bummer, and I'm not sure it's worth all this drama because I really don't see it ever changing.

This is largely my problem with the thread.

mutata posted:

I'm extremely normal and basic. No one even remembers me. No one has me on their ignore list because they instantly forget my posts the second after they read them.

Edit:

I will not be missed!

And yes, you are somehow invisible, it's kind of impressive.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Harrow posted:

It's pretty clear this is no longer about the Games Industry Dysfunction thread, especially because everyone is pointedly ignoring mutata's posts on the matter. I remember when they were driven out of the thread for trying to bring some sort of actual context to the discussion when people didn't want to hear it and it definitely solidified my opinion that a thread about the games industry that drives out actual workers in that industry has a problem.

No, Asema is specifically derailing it to complain about Stux. I engaged with mutata's point and a couple other people did too, I would love to actually discuss that topic.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ok this thread went a little sideways after I went to sleep but it had some very genuinely helpful feedback, so thank you for that! I'm just drafting up a summary and response post now, so I politely request that you pause posting so I don't have new things to reply to lol, thank you very much.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i notice a disturbing lack of dogs in this thread, but i am here to save you all from yourselves

here is a long dog for you

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wow ok bad timing on my part, and i take it back. well done :hmmyes:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Runa posted:

Boba and hell, even Stux are correct about the industry thread but anybody who sees Bust Rodd being Bust Rodd all over a thread and thinking, "drat you blizzwatch" probably needs to stop blaming boogeymen from CCCC. Note, neither Boba nor Stux have done this, by the by. The overlap between the people who actively post in the industry thread and the people who actively post in blizzwatch is like four people. Hell, I'm more likely to see Kith posting gifs in the OSHA thread, he hasn't posted in blizzlols for ages.

Meanwhile,

You, on the other hand, really need to learn to let things go. I get why Stux has beef and frankly it's warranted but you've been called out for posting like a psychopath by other WoW goons, in the WoW subforum, over your grudge. Just step back and enjoy playing videogames, maybe stop taking things so seriously.

Good post

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I wasn't trying to ignore mutata, I was specifically responding to someone wanting a more tightly moderated space. I probably shouldn't have posted anything, and I apologize if I contributed to making GBS threads up any useful discussion.

Also free stux.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think people should be probated if they break the rules in this thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916946

I think people should not be probated if they are not breaking those rules.

It sounds like people in the games industry thread were breaking the rule about criticising [the games industry] with humour or insight. If industry members were being hounded out of the thread that also sounds like a violation of that same rule since it doesn’t strike me as particularly insightful or funny to run off people with legitimate interest and experience.

Therefore, it sounds like some people in the industry thread should have been probated and the thread reminded of the forum rules. I don’t know why this has to be a huge deal, it seems like very basic forum moderation?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it might just be me but if a thread needs a bunch of rules specific to it and a dedicated idiot king to keep it on topic then it might not be a good thread

I agree, the Switch thread should be killed

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I agree, the Switch thread should be killed

My forum browsing experience has massively improved since I stopped reading any nintendo related thread. They really should dye... their clothes in minecraft!! :newlol:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

What I wanted to find out was
a) do people want a thread to specifically discuss industry issues (answer is pretty clearly yes)
b) how much moderation do people want to ensure it stays on topic
c) what does on topic mean

And I feel much more confident that I know the answers to those questions now.

Mode 7 posted:

Talking about the games a company has produced in relation to lovely industry decisions they have made is fine. There will be times where discussion of a company's releases help to add further context to a discussion. As an example example, I think it's useful to discuss diversity in Overwatch and how those characters are represented in game in relation to that godawful phrenology checklist poo poo Activision Blizzard King unveiled recently.

The second that the conversation stops referencing the inciting incident though and just becomes about the game itself, it shouldn't be in that thread because it's no longer about dysfunction in the games industry, it's just about the game.

Boba Pearl posted:

Here is the exact moment where I think it went too far

Maybe this post, which is discussing Blizzard as a game devloper, and not any like, anything that is relevant to the news or what the thread is about at all.

Almost definitely this post, because why the gently caress do we care whether you like their games or not, or how well they made a game?

At this post it's 100% gone too far, nothing about the auction house matters at ALL to what the thread is about. Auction House chat brings out the worst nerds and it needs to be nipped in the bud immediately.

These posts in particular pinpoint the moment the thread started derailing, which I was conscious of at the time but hesitated to redirect because I thought "well, discussing the games the company makes is kinda relevant, maybe I should just let people discuss what they like until it gets out of hand," but then it ended up at diablo chat and it was too late.

When I did attempt to rerail, I also failed to be clear that I was acting as an IK and not just whinging about thread content, but now that I have better expectations for the thread I will be firmer about stopping chat before it begins.

The 7th Guest posted:

an actual thread discussing abuse and working conditions in the industry would be useful, rather than a thread of people who don't actually care about those things as much as dunking on a company they don't like. there are people that do care in there, but seeing that the thread ONCE AGAIN got pointlessly derailed by blizzard posters into blizzard game discussion doesn't leave me hopeful for its future

mutata posted:

I don't really care what happens to the industry dysfunction thread, but overall I'm not sure how useful of a thread it is in general, or what people want to get out of it. I guess if it's just a industry drama RSS feed, that makes sense, but I stopped participating in it aside from the occasional joke post because it's frankly a honeypot for people who know little about the complexities of the industry, don't want to hear about those complexities, and who are angry about whatever company and want to dunk on them and feel good for doing so. It's often a source of eye roll-inducing quotes that get passed around among other industry devs I interact with outside of SA.

It's just kind of a cruddy thread, not to mention a huge bummer, and I'm not sure it's worth all this drama because I really don't see it ever changing.

Harrow posted:

It's pretty clear this is no longer about the Games Industry Dysfunction thread, especially because everyone is pointedly ignoring mutata's posts on the matter. I remember when they were driven out of the thread for trying to bring some sort of actual context to the discussion when people didn't want to hear it and it definitely solidified my opinion that a thread about the games industry that drives out actual workers in that industry has a problem. I couldn't solve that problem and eventually stopped being a mod, and now it seems like a) it's still a problem, and b) at this point it's just a proxy battle about some other forums grudges.

I fully understand the people saying it's worthless and that discussion about this stuff happens in other threads just fine, but there were enough people saying it's a valuable concept for a thread that I want to give it at least one try. I want to especially emphasise input from people actually in the industry, and really avoid baseless speculation or fanciful conclusions.

And on that note,

Lazy Robot posted:

I just wanted to post in the Games Industry thread about how my games industry job successfully voted to unionize today, but I guess some incomprehensible forums drama is cool, too.

I planned to open the thread when there was actual industry news to discuss, so I will reopen it right after posting this!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Genuinely, this thread had great feedback until it turned to discussing specific posters. Just an observation!!!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!

Boba Pearl posted:

And yes, you are somehow invisible, it's kind of impressive.

I think I was a bit more memorable before I got red-texted and had to change my avatar to :toot: lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I fully understand the people saying it's worthless and that discussion about this stuff happens in other threads just fine, but there were enough people saying it's a valuable concept for a thread that I want to give it at least one try. I want to especially emphasise input from people actually in the industry, and really avoid baseless speculation or fanciful conclusions.

I don't think it needs to die, but the focus on dysfunction could maybe change? I think having the premise of the thread be explicitly about dysfunction will necessarily lead back to the weird conspiracy stuff that drove mutata (and me, frankly) out of that thread. Having it be a more general industry chat thread A: puts more weight on the opinions of posters actually in the games industry and B: requires a shitload less moderation. And C: just gives some breathing room to difficult topics.