Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Jupiter Jazz posted:

My opinion: When I first joined, Games was known for higher video game discussion. Now it's riled with cliques and low effort poo poo posts that would have gotten you probated in 2007. I posted a long opinion in the Dragon Quest thread (linked here) that was passionate and my personal opinion. The responses? "LOL." Effort posting and discussion, two former main stays of SA, is now considered a bonus, not the norm.

The result is a forum made of cliques where people are unable to discuss in genuine merit, who can only expound upon gotcha points and one liners.

probably because that post is insanely bad and very funny op. also posting this after getting owned is even funnier still. probably need to prepare for a new wave of lols, perhaps even a lmao or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Why is it bad? Because you disagree?

dont care about dq so i could not possibly agree or disagree on what the post says, however its extremely funny and reading further multiple people did engage at length with your argument and you still felt so aggrieved you needed to complain that its a problem with the games forum that no one agreed with you or whatever. however please continue to post about it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
the big clique hivemind of [checking thread] people both agreeing and disagreeing at varying levels of engagement from "lol" to their own effort posts. truly mystifying what you are even complaining about at this point honestly.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
low effort posting is tolerated. you can even empty quote! this is someone not getting the response they wanted to a single subject in one thread and then posting about it in the "state of games" thread like its some endemic issue with the entire forum. theres a very handy stickied post dedicated to more long form game stuff where low effort posts arent allowed and people cant laugh at you for saying something insanely stupid if thats the issue.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
there were multiple pages with multiple people engaging earnestly, with one person who everyone else told off getting aggro, and a couple of people who said lol or what. this is all pretty dismissive to the other people who engaged in a discussion with them, and the norm was certainly people engaging in good faith and having an actual discussion about the points they were making. also this all happened two full months ago while they were attempting a critique of a game they hadnt even finished half of, and it ended with them blowing up at another poster while being unbelievably condescending because they said "youre wrong"

this is a grudge post on a two month delay. i dont care about it. it has nothing to do with the forum culture or whatever.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
also who are the cliques? the clique of "people who post in the dq thread"?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
yeah the star cit thread should be exiled. glad we can all finally come together and agree and send it on its way.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
switch thread is perfect

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
slam clicking a thread title and posting without reading the op or in fact any other posts in the thread ftw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
if its a chat thread it should live in cccc. if its a mock thread then the mocking should be allowed to go both ways. :tipshat:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
if its a chat thread and not a mock thread why was it in cccc and moved back here. think its a mock thread and idk why mock threads keep having to have teh special rule where it can only go one way. seems to create very weird threads!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Harrow posted:

It's not a mock thread. It's a chat thread. Probably 50% about non-Blizzard MMOs at this point, if I'm honest.

It was in CCCC because it needed a home after the Blizzard subforum closed earlier this year. Ultimately we decided to try moving it to Games, since it is about video games, and the timing ended up being... weird, because it moved here about a day or two before the big Blizzard lawsuit dropped and the thread became something of a flashpoint. Things have calmed down a lot there now, and it has gotten some new posters due to being in Games and not hidden away in CCCC, which I think has been positive for the thread.

People getting riled up and attacking people for playing Blizzard games would happen whether that thread was in CCCC or in Games (though again, this seems to be a rare occurrence outside the thread itself, and again, please let me know if I'm wrong and missing something happening right under my nose). There would be little to no practical difference, except that Games mods wouldn't have buttons in that thread anymore, I guess?

i can read the thread, its a mock thread, all mock threads end up talking about other stuff when nothings happened recently. therhes no reason why it should get special protections where it only goes one way to the point ppl are ramped up to multiday probations for extremely tepid mockery while weird posts insinuating theyre abusers/rapists get a 6er/nothing. dunno why there is this critical need for these weird threads where ppl obsess over things they hate.

as to whaht dongicus is complaining about specifically

i dont exactlyl think that "name calling" at the end was great but seems understandable someone might be upset after this exchange and frankly its pretty unacceptable outside of anything else to do with the thread that 2 mods and an ik acted like this. i assume the other one where the poster got a sixer for calling someone mr afrasiabi is the one being looked at again now, but its also unacceptable that post got by with a sixer and then multiple people complaining about it got probated, some for longer because breaking a thread ban was apparently more heinous than calling another poster a rapist.

doesnt seem particularly harmless if the thread has its own dedicated ik and it doesnt stop this happening

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
well glad to heahr it was just a mistake to insinuate something gross about another poster, certainly no need for the multiple mods to correct that or punish the baseless accusation. frankly punishing dongicus for haivng the temerity to want the situation correct was the only possible response. unrelated but i think all mods are pedos and if thats wrong, well, it was a mistake :D

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
a good start might eb instead of having lists of user names that are punish on sight regardless of what theyre posting, probations and bans are handed out on the actual content of posts instead. maybe thread bans should be used when someones actually making completely over the line posts that would each individually require harsh punishment or just spamming a thread incessantly, instead of ppl being slightly annoying in a way that makes other people unable to not post about it. we already have the ignore list for that and you dont need a thread ban to probe posts that are just :gas: or whatever.

if the usernames were reversed what wouldve happened? im p sure if dongicus or whoever else posted those things at the others they wouldve been rightly destroyed on sight. if they were from a non thread banned poster to another non thread banned poster what wouldve happened? again i think that i tprobably wouldve been hit in that situation as well. if thats the case then that might illustrate something about how thread banning for minor infractions isnt particularly helpful.

edit: i guess the afrasiabi one was just at a rando, dunno on thaht one mate probably need to tell ur ik stuff like that needs more than a six

Stux fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 8, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
it wasnt an attempt to get an own in. i was illustrating that it is not accepted on the forums to casually throw terms around using a specific example that happens relatively often and is heavily punished. if i had said that in any other context i doubt adding "if im wrong it was a mistake" on the end wouldve stopped me from getting probated or banned, and that was my point. i apologise for being inflammatory, but the original issue was someone being called a rapist/however u want to read that insinuation, not something flippant.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

no i agree wrt the weird angle some sniping has taken lately, i dont like it lol what i said was meant to be using that to make the point but im sorry if it came off as just me doing it as well.

Kith posted:

Just for reference's sake, how do you feel about the monthly Games Chat thread (currently on its September incarnation)?

your thread isnt a chat thread, its a mock thread, its called blizzwatch and the op says its for making fun of blizzard and blizzard games. if its a chat thread where people arent allowed to come in and mock thingsand its focused around a small community that doesnt want to be bothered, then it can go to cccc as we already have a forum chat thread open to everyone as youve helpfully pointed out. but the real answer is its a mock thread that goes off topic like every single thread on the forum that has more than 10 posters in it.

Kith posted:

You weren't threadbanned for being mean to me, you were threadbanned because you repeatedly tried to make the thread about you and your beef with another poster and didn't listen when I told you to take it to PMs or QCS. As I mentioned above, I am just an IK. Hell, I'm less than that - I'm the newer and less powerful version that doesn't have a star or buttons outside of the relevant thread, whereas other IKs have stars and buttons in their subforum. I told you to handle it in a way that did not involve the thread and you repeatedly didn't, so you got kicked out.

If you want me to reverse the threadban, then I will - I don't have a grudge against you as a person or a poster, I just don't want to deal with a fight erupting when I can't realistically do anything about addressing your concerns.

i dont think saying "the thing this person said to me is beyond the pale" is trying to make the thread about you in this case. you shouldnt have to make a qcs thread to get action taken on something so wildly inappropriate. also the op in the thread specifically says to post in the thread about thread moderation. framing it as a beef instead of someone just trying to get a hosed post dealt with is weird and i dont know why youve posted this at all.

btw also just checking which specific posts dongicus got hit with everytime with probations for the "thread ban" is extremely telling lol absolutely does seem like a thread ban for being mean to you, 100% :D

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

on what planet do you think that exchange exonerates anyone? also why are you posting it like no ones read it already. dont patronise me. you couldve and in fact shouldve taken the two seconds to wouldve taken to look at what was being talked about and hit the post and told boba it wasnt acceptable. that is literally what an ik is for and if you were unable to act on such a clearly hosed post why are you an ik

quote:

Here's the thing: Boba Pearl did not do that. Their post was absolutely worthy of scrutiny, and I apologize for not applying that scrutiny, and I have since learned from that particular fuckup of mine and promise you that I will do better. However, while Boba Pearl made a pretty nasty remark about you/your posts/your past behavior, none of it was actually saying "Dongicus is a rapist", just that you've posted some messed up stuff in the past. And, as it turns out, they were right! You have, in fact, posted that kinda stuff before! So now I've got two posters that have some kind of problem with each other. Both have valid points - you did actually post that kinda stuff, but you were also obviously joking/trolling/what have you. So what do I do about it?

this especially is awful lol "worthy of scrutiny" dumb gently caress look at this post

quote:

It's dongicus, he regularly posts about companies killing vtubers and masturbating to them, im not surprised he'd show up in a thread that mentions sexual assault.

that is absolutely insinuating some henious poo poo. i truly do not know how else you can read this. and then saying they were right to have those suspicions? complete trash. so many words just to say absolutely nothing of value.

Athanatos posted:

I'm going to save everyone a lot of back and forth. That thread is something I've been thinking about for a bit. When the Blizzard news was coming out, we didn't have a good spot to read about it or discuss it and I thought that was kinda lovely. It became the default place, and only...sort of worked.

I want to get a better thread going for industry discussion like that, and had someone show interest in making a worth a poo poo OP so that should be going up here soon. I was just going to put a no effort one up, but figured that topic deserves a bit more start than "post here about poo poo."

I've not discussed this with the Blizzard watch thread yet, and wanted to get the other thread going before I did, but since it's a thing in here I figured I'd stop by and let you know where my head is. That thread is in a really weird place when compairing it with the rest of the threads in Games, so I'll figure something out here.

I do think having an actual discussion thread that isn't final fantasy outfit discussion in the middle of back and forth discussion about abuse will be a good start.

sounds great, just dont let this moron be the ik

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Kith posted:

I don't know what else to say on the matter - I admitted that I was wrong and that I handled the situation badly, I went through post-by-post to describe my thought process and show why I arrived at the conclusion that I did since stux straight-up asked "I don't know why you did this", and I promised I would be better about it in the future. I don't understand how any of that is being willfully ignorant.

probably the very long post of ohhhh what was i to do... also heyyy maybe they were right??? he did post some stuff uhhh... both sides have valid points :D ah is that a thread ban i spy?? :blastu: :blastu:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Moola posted:

why is anyone engaging with this guy and taking the things he says seriously lol?

Infinitum posted:

I get the feeling you will never be satisfied regardless of outcome.

yeah cant imagine why he might be annoyed at the ik still lol :D

Kith posted:

I made a judgement call on a poster who:

you made a judgement call on a poster that said "im not surprised he'd show up in a thread that mentions sexual assault" that was the judgement call. your big explaination was u going well uhhh maybe they were right to say it, look at this post. hey, they both have good points here!! unlikely this will get through to u and i do not care if it does anymore. Begone :blastu:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
i dont think the narrow list of pointless whtie noise reactions in harrows post preclude discussion, and its not actually a problem for a thread to only have activity sporadically. it doesnt hurt anyone for a thread to simply not have posts when theres no reason to post in it. one of the reaosns threads about broader subjects turn into trash is because of people feeling like they have to post for no reason in a thread when theres nothing to talk about.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
yup totoally ironic tag. hope no one remembers the weird qcs thread to delete the entire wow forum the second the news broke :D

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If you don't like the thread, don't post there or read it.

epic and normal atittudue for a games thread. will be starting a metroidi dread thread where i post endlessly about monster hunter, except every 10 pages i shout about how much i hate metroid dread, then when people point out the thread is completely off topic and make fun of me for obsessively hating metroid dread i tell them that if they dont like the thread they should go somewhere else.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Terminal autist posted:

Did you ever play last of us 2?

are u referencing the thread i didnt make and was completely fail? the one i was threadbanned from for posting complete garbage in to make everyone obsessing over that game lose it? very weird example lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There are plenty of threads and forums here where you can't barge into the thread (or a completely different thread) to demand everyone that's happy posting there should change, why is this one different? It's not an Everest thread where people are celebrating death, it's a chat thread that has serious discussions when news comes out.

if its just a chat thread and it has the attitude of "if you dont like it dont read it" there seems to be zero reason for it not to be in cccc. if it cant stay on topic and in fact the posters do not want it to stay on topic, and they also dont want to be mocked in their weird mock/chat thread, then it should go to the place for those threads. if its in games it should work the same as any other thread here.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Fat and Useless posted:

It's because she is right.

would love an explaination of why you think that post indicates that lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
proving all my detractors wrong by acting exactly as they said

also kith was probably de-iked for their inability to be normal in this thread at a time when athanatos was reading it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
anyone else notice that over half of this once quiet thread is now this insane protracted meltdown. youre not going to agree with anyone here and no one is going to agree with you. u have your thread and an ik, see you later. bye bye, Bye

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

multijoe posted:

Why are you guys even mad you've still got your chat thread, it's just back where it belongs with the other chat threads in the chat thread forum

its all they know. a cursed existence

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Gwaihir posted:

From the outside pov of someone that doesn't know any of these people as regular posters, this recent explosion was stirred up by people who seem to be purely bad faith trolls like dongicus. If I had any doubt about that his supporting posters are people like Arf who's still one of those "droppin slurs lol its an ironic joke why are you so offended" goons, so, I feel pretty safe pointing to that group as the lovely side of the argument.

the recent explosion was because of your ik being garbage and its probably why theyre not an ik anymore, and your assumption as to who is bad and good based on not knowing whats going on is probnably why youre thread sucks. now begone

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Gwaihir posted:

one side is dropping slurs and trolling, the other side is making a joke pointing out that a higher authority making a capricious decision to shove something they don't feel like dealing with under the proverbial rug is very reminiscent of the company we're mocking, hmmm, yeah, it's really difficult for me to tell the difference here, i suppose both sides ARE the same

they didnt say the bad words so actually comparing people to the company and people thaht have done literal physical harm to others is better. insane. go away lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Itzena posted:

Why is it that the people that are the most vehement about posting their concerns in this thread have a rap sheet longer than my arm, anyway?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Mordiceius posted:

You should know by now that Stux and Endorph have never been good faith posters.

https://i.imgur.com/7KBD4fC.mp4

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
ty to boba for responding like an adult unlike some otheres. ppl are pretty amenable to just talking stuff out if everyones being cool, i find. another games feedback success story.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
im hte best poster in games, by a wide margin

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
that happens in every thread like this and it constantly results in absolute garbage threads full of people with full bore persecution complexes over being a poster in a thread, which u saw this time w the blief it was those freaking wow lovers complaining and the modmins are afraid of a thread speaking truth to power at blizzard or whatever lol. just lock them when theres nothing to talk about, or at least enforce staying on topic.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
take it to qcs

and threadbans are generally bad, no idea why you came here to gloat about someone getting a week for no reason, no one cares, go back to your hole.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
we were talking about how a games industry thread should be moderated as athanatos said theyre going to get one posted and a bunch of you ran back in paranoid we were talking about you. then that other person came in to gloat over a probation for some reason. dunno what the pumpkin guy is doing and id rather theyd not do it bcos its nothing to do with games, very weird post, take them with you. bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
[absoluteluy reading the post] haha cool. thats nice. see you later