Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
My opinion: When I first joined, Games was known for higher video game discussion. Now it's riled with cliques and low effort poo poo posts that would have gotten you probated in 2007. I posted a long opinion in the Dragon Quest thread (linked here) that was passionate and my personal opinion. The responses? "LOL." Effort posting and discussion, two former main stays of SA, is now considered a bonus, not the norm.

The result is a forum made of cliques where people are unable to discuss in genuine merit, who can only expound upon gotcha points and one liners.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

probably because that post is insanely bad and very funny op. also posting this after getting owned is even funnier still. probably need to prepare for a new wave of lols, perhaps even a lmao or two

Why is it bad? Because you disagree?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

I skimmed the thread and I saw a long discussion of people mostly engaging with you not sure what more you want

To your post here I have only to say:

lol

I will say some do engage so it's definitely not blanket. So you've got a point. But then there's many who are offended and just generally attack for no reason. So I guess it's more accurate to say that it's a mixed bag.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 9, 2021

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

dont care about dq so i could not possibly agree or disagree on what the post says, however its extremely funny and reading further multiple people did engage at length with your argument and you still felt so aggrieved you needed to complain that its a problem with the games forum that no one agreed with you or whatever. however please continue to post about it

Some did agree with me. There's even users who are outright confused at the hostile tone towards me.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Rimusutera posted:

Low effort posting is tolerated, yes, hence someone arguing they think it shouldn't and that would be a better experience. Yes this is someone not getting the response they wanted, the response they wanted was not to get hit was "lmfao" and "what" instead of something substantive, that's literally the point being made!

I don't exactly agree with Jazz here about wanting more restrictive rules, originally I was going to originally chime in on the chorus of constructive criticism of their posting style and I think there's a degree of myopic self victimization about posting unpopular opinions and all that going on in their own linked post, but I find the weird bad faith reading in order to dismiss their entire perspective as Literally Irrelevant To The Literal Feedback Thread as a bit of absurd reach. I think that "Low effort posting used to not be tolerated here, back in my day, and it was better" is at the least a legitimate stance to share in the Feedback Thread about the State of the Games Forum. There's at least a conversation to be had based off that rather than just scoring more dunks, about whether more people feel the same or whether they actually like the more anarchic posting style and the culture that is cultivated by it.

Also I don't think the Effort Posting thread you're specifically referring to is conducive to their needs in this moment, if its the one I think it is, because they're clearly looking to effort post about being critical of some games in a franchise while praising others and don't want to be dismissed for it, but perhaps this is worth pointing towards more threads of that nature but different variations as a healthy ongoing thing for the forum and a solid middle ground? Trying to be constructive here.

Do you have more constructive criticism on my posting style? I'd really like to change but don't know how.