Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

just wanted to add another voice to the "it's all good" pile. i think the fact that some of the megathreads are game-specific, while others are console-specific, does a lot to cover pretty much all discussion topics while still having clear enough games. people in the Switch thread talk about all sorts of Switch games, people in the Sekiro thread talk about other FromSoft games. overall it makes it really easy to figure out where to post about what you like, and i find most of the threads to be pretty accessible and welcoming. it's nice! thanks for helping make it be that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Jupiter Jazz posted:

My opinion: When I first joined, Games was known for higher video game discussion. Now it's riled with cliques and low effort poo poo posts that would have gotten you probated in 2007. I posted a long opinion in the Dragon Quest thread (linked here) that was passionate and my personal opinion. The responses? "LOL." Effort posting and discussion, two former main stays of SA, is now considered a bonus, not the norm.

The result is a forum made of cliques where people are unable to discuss in genuine merit, who can only expound upon gotcha points and one liners.

I think you got some of the reactions you got because 1. you start off extremely combative, telling everyone you expect them to hate your post, and 2. your post could just as easily have been "I miss the days when there was less dialogue and more atmospheric storytelling." Making a long post may take a lot of effort, but not all ideas need that much effort to express them, and people will resent you for wasting their time.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I am wholly against the State of Games and favor sanctions against their corrupt regime. The indigenous people of Games deserve to self-govern, free of the imperialost shackles of the State.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

My two cents is that threads should be modded according to their potential. Something like the Switch thread is high-potential because lots of people play it, there are games constantly coming out, and there isn't another good place for other general Nintendo news. This was getting drowned out by interminable circular arguments around "leaks" about the Switch Pro for what felt like an eternity, so it absolutely deserved to get an IK to help keep the quality of posting a little higher and keep things civil and on-topic. Now, that thread is pretty good, without the hostility and weird argument inception that once plagued it.

The Stadia thread is dead and boring, with like 80% of the posts being complaints about either Stux or Hostile Apostle. There is absolutely nothing for anyone to say. It is super low potential. Idk if I'd even say Stux's posts there are trolling - they aren't 'disruptive' because there's nothing there to disrupt.

Somewhere in between is the Star Citizen thread. Yeah, it's a negative and kinda mock-y thread, but like, Star Citizen is still ongoing, there are new developments constantly, and there are a lot of goons who are invested in the game in the same way that many goons are invested in WoW - it is something they once loved or had high hopes for, but that has ultimately disappointed them, in a way that cannot be said of the Stadia thread. That makes it a worthwhile, high-potential thread, and somewhere that I wouldn't be in favor of meta-mocking trolling.

On the idea of 6ers - I've always seen 6ers as like an interrupt, to instantly take a poster or posters out of a heated situation that is going to a bad place because of heightened feelings that will wear down. I don't think it's a remedy for bad posting, and if you DID want to stop Stux from posting that way in the Stadia thread, it was obviously completely ineffective. There was a running joke for a bit that those posts were the last thing Stux did before going to bed. I think if you're probing for a punishment, it's gotta be at LEAST a day.

TLDR if a thread cannot, by nature of its subject matter, be on-topic or interesting, than we should at least let it be funny. If an action is worth punishing, it's worth punishing for more than a six-hour 'time-out'. Overall games is fine, all the threads i care about are great and the ones i don't care about i don't read : )

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

The forum by and large is well-maintained, but it's the nature of any feedback thread to have people who use it to air personal grievances. There are just a few areas for improvement which have already been discussed and acknowledged at length. As far as the more high-profile shitpost wars, that's just old grudges and tribalism manifesting, and far beyond the scope of this thread, but have drawn focus to the flaws that do exist, like mods not having the coverage or bandwidth to handle everything at once.

I think what we need is to have a respectful discussion of what kind of behaviors are allowed here, and allow IKs latitude to make those kinds of decisions on a per-thread basis. I also have extremely petty, prescriptivist views about grammar that I'm going to talk about here for some reason.

Let's just be nice.

ftfy

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 15, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

It's less of a culture war and more two cliques sitting next to each other in the high school cafeteria deciding they don't like each other. One of them likes funny well-thought-out quips and the other likes boring unedited wall-of-text stream-of-consciousness screeds. Luckily Something Awful is a big rear end cafeteria with many, many tables, so there is room for everybody. It's not like the streets are red with the blood of slain posters and every thread is under seige, there are literally 2 threads and like 4 posters that all of this conversation is revolving around. I guarantee you that no poster who doesn't read Blizzwatch or State of Games would say there is a culture war in the forum, and 90% of the ones who DO read these threads would also not say there is a culture war, just a couple of posters are mad.

Games, like SA, like any community, will be whatever the people that invest time in it make it, which will be many things and not a singular one. The mods will cover the like 5% of that through extreme edge cases, and the other 95% comes from what some call "self-policing" but is really just the natural self-selection of people wanting to have conversations with other people that want to have the same kinds of conversations, and not with people that don't. Even all the slapfighting in QCS works that way - those are people that, at that moment, want to have a slapfight, so they do, whereas here people mostly want to post news, experiences, opinions, and maybe a few jokes about games, which is what happens in every other thread in this subforum 99% of the time.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

rated five. ticket closed.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Baller Time posted:

Just call it Gamers

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

What even is the "reset era"? Are we still in that era? What era follows or precedes the reset era?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Nutvember: We're Nuts About Games!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I think it's time to RESET the forum title, since we have moved on to a new ERA (Nintendvmber).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

So let me get this straight- there's a games mod named Video Games, which is a games thing, and now there's another one named Mega 64, which is also a games thing?

I'm gonna need to think about this...

not only this, but also many games (and worse yet discussing them online) can be extremely HARROWING.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

To me there are two kinds of posting that I wish I saw a lot less of, both of which are really common in the Switch thread.

One of them is the "veteran of the console wars" type posts, where folks are criticizing / defending something solely based on the brand name of the company doing it. We get it, there used to be a whole forum for that, it was bad and boring and nobody liked it. It's fine to disagree with somebody about, for instance, whether the N64 ports are overpriced or whatever, but bringing it into a "This is proof that Nintendo IS in fact evil and has terrible business practices!!!" kind of place is nuts, as is "Nintendo can only do the right thing, so the price must be good!!" (e: or "I thought Nintendo was my best friend, how can tehy betray me by charging MONEY for the products they make???") People should not care that much about megabilliondollar corporate entities.

The other kind of post is the meta-argument post, usually either a personal attack ("Only a sick little freak could think the N64 ports are bad") or, much more boring and awful, the criticism of caring in the first place ("You sound mad" / "Are you crying right now?" / "Lol who could possibly care about this"). This is universally someone trying to mask their own petty emotions about seeing someone disagree with them, but being too embarrassed to just say so. These posters should have a little more self confidence and just post honestly.

There is a third kind of post which, mercifully, seemed to go away almost completely after Mega became thread IK, which is the "arguing about leaks and leakers" post. I am so loving glad that those posts aren't around almost at all anymore, and get rightfully mocked out of the thread when they're posted instead of being endlessly debated. That was the most tedious poo poo ever and I am glad it has been cleansed from our fair forum.

Idk what I would ask a mod or IK to do about any of this, but that's just one of the many reasons why I'm merely a humble poster.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 4, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Stux may post. Please he saves his posting power for one entire year to make one good post and it’s for GotY and it’s always full of thoughtful gaming opinions and joyful enjoyment just because he said mean words to adults who like a childrens game the rest of us shouldn’t be punishment jointly from one wonderful post.

Stux was punished for making bad, boring posts. If he can make one good, enjoyable post, it will set the world back in balance.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

really the greatest crime is not getting those great meme posts in the stux rapsheet for another month. definitely not missing out on his posts though

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Opinions differ on the Stux stuff, and that's definitely understandable, but I want to know what's the best way to handle weird stuff like the Pokemon posts Stux was replying to? I don't want to discourage criticism but there's posters who make very weirdly negative posts like that all over Games, and I'd love to find a way to discourage that sort of thing since then threads just get miserable to read.

Should we allow some mockery of that sort of thing in Games, or do we want to keep that aspect of SA out of the forum? Right now I've been handling that sort of thing inconsistently, but I'd love suggestions and feedback on how to handle negative and/or weird posters and how much leeway I should give on people mocking them, based on what the Games community prefers.

if the mockery is funny, that goes a long way. quoting like 12 posts at once with lame one-liners is not funny.

or you could, idk, actually discuss the post, in the forum for discussing the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

actually discussing the post is a bad idea because what it actually deserved is a quick "lmao" and not, god forbid, a serious thread derailing discussion on PokeTrauma

luckily that isn't what happened. a conversation can be weird or dumb without being a derail.