Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Do you have more constructive criticism on my posting style? I'd really like to change but don't know how.
I've tried to read it twice and both times I got to the sentence "To understand why I dislike XI you have to understand why I love Dragon Quest to begin with." and my eyes slid down the screen, hit "What is Japanese minimalism?" and bounced off entirely. You wrote an essay. Whether it was a good essay or a bad essay I couldn't say, because I didn't read it. Because I didn't come here to read an essay.

Different styles of writing are suited to different media. A forum thread is a conversation. Posting an essay is like standing up at a party and giving a speech. If it's appropriate to the occasion then people will listen to a short speech at a party. But if you're off-topic or you go on too long, people will stop listening - even if it's a good speech - because you have chosen the wrong time and place. Essays go on blogs or in magazines. Media designed for a single speaker to communicate while an audience listens.

So here's some constructive criticism: Keep it short, to the point, and conversational. Remember where you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU