Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think Games continues to tick along fine as it always has and doesn't really need any changes or spice/events, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Extremely hosed up when Stux is a voice of reason.

Both effortposting and shitposting can co-exist and often do, since I stopped being quite such an uptight nerd (degrees of margin arguable) I definitely do more shitposting than I used to but I'll still poo poo out unnecessarily wordy bullshit sometimes. Nobodies really here to read a thesis though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think there's a pretty obvious line between "loving over obvious shitheads" or "Having fun at someones expense but not being a weird jackass about it" and "Being a dick for no reason" which was a lot of what we got in the old griefing thread, as people have mentioned, where people would come in and pass off not even really griefing but just low effort, fun-for-nobody-but-me trolling or outright cheating as 'fun griefing stories.' That's pretty easy to self-police in a lot of ways and I think the overall Games train of thought is considerably less open to people like that now anyway so it might occasionally need a mod on the trigger but I think it's less likely to suffer from that old problem.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 2, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean this is already the kind of poo poo that sank the last thread in the end, so maybe not. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

Is the Switch thread usually at each others' throats or is it just E3's got everyone all riled up?

Every time I look in there literally everyone is being weirdly aggro so probably both.

Orv
May 4, 2011
What's even going on in there that it's so volatile over a dead Google thing?

Orv
May 4, 2011
So Stux

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've mostly stayed out for whatever the gently caress this has been but I will say as someone who doesn't really enjoy when Stux barrels into a thread to be aggro for no real reason, I'd rather keep Stux around for calling out people with their heads shoved violently up their own rear end than entirely get rid of them. This was not my sentiment before this whole thing, it sure is now.

Though I do wish you'd cut down on the heavy aggro in threads that are just being normal, Stux, please.

Orv
May 4, 2011
/r/Destinythegame

(The list of things you could do there is long.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sim City 2000 Mods: Industrial Zoning Retexture (includes Big Titty Deathbot disaster)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Maybe we shouldn't allow people to just be unfunny aggro weirdos for years at a time in threads, which somehow are always xbox related.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Opinions differ on the Stux stuff, and that's definitely understandable, but I want to know what's the best way to handle weird stuff like the Pokemon posts Stux was replying to? I don't want to discourage criticism but there's posters who make very weirdly negative posts like that all over Games, and I'd love to find a way to discourage that sort of thing since then threads just get miserable to read.

Should we allow some mockery of that sort of thing in Games, or do we want to keep that aspect of SA out of the forum? Right now I've been handling that sort of thing inconsistently, but I'd love suggestions and feedback on how to handle negative and/or weird posters and how much leeway I should give on people mocking them, based on what the Games community prefers.

Mocking those people who are having weird gamer rants is totally fine and telling them to shut up and touch grass should be completely acceptable. I think a month ban was probably way over the line here, even if Stux's response to that person was extremely Stux.

And yeah at some point if someone is just a loving drag 24/7 maybe start slapping them around on occasion and hope they learn from a sixer or something.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 16, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

Servaetes posted:

The thing is it's never "things they don't like about a videogame." It's people that haven't played the game for years. The people that only read the twitter blurb review a game magazine did and haven't played. The people getting enraged about cosmetic rewards they have to play the game to earn. The people that cannot stop bringing up topics that have been told to discuss them in threads made specifically for those topics. The utterly exhausting ones that can't stop bringing up real world politics or analogies to the real world. There's more examples I'm missing but you get the idea. Once you let those joyless people have the voice of the thread new people won't want to dare set foot in it. Frustrates or scares off people that want to talk about the game. That poo poo has been the tone of games for an incredibly long time. It sucks.

Your correct reply is certainly less acerbic but I guarantee it will not stop the grim real world to the videogame world comparison poo poo. It'll keep intensifying until a mod steps in and tells them to give it a rest. And sometimes that won't stop it either!

I think for a lot of people it's not about Stux or that thread specifically. It's just an example of the above crap. Outside of more aggressive moderation I don't really know what the solve is. What I do know is the "why can't I be critical!?" types are the ones if you give an inch they take a mile and are by far the worst posters on SA

There are threads like this but to say that this is all of Games is pretty wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
You appear to have tripped the cat flag on your dog.