Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kinda seems like the blizzwatch thread should just be moved back to cccc if it is just a chat thread, much like what happened with the thread where people spent years talking about the Xbox One having the wrong RAM until it became a chat thread. It's what that subforum exists for, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

This makes no sense but hey -- it's done. Whatever. Players of WoW won't have to be so tempted to read about their terrible treadmill.

Why is this always the defense. I am not saying it was the worst thread in the forums or anything, I have no dog in this fight so I have no opinion on the quality of the thread itself. But it's always a crappy defense that the worst threads tend to use.

Like to pull a Games example, back when the Star Citizen thread doxxed people who liked the spaceship game and people pointed out that doxxing was going on, the defense thread regulars used is that the people getting mad about the doxxing are just angry Star Citizen fans that are mad that their favorite game is being criticized.

I don't get it!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tbh it's awfully nice of that sealion in the comic to try to have a civil debate in the face of such disgusting anti-sealion bigotry.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Reveilled posted:

My two cents are that I don't really like people who get their kicks out of ruining others fun, which is what trolling is, and I wish we didn't tolerate it with slaps on the wrist. When people barge into threads to antagonise the posters there, it sucks, and I don't think we should tolerate it.

On the other hand, trawling reddit to to find people with stupid takes on Stadia or Star Citizen or whatever so you can bring them back to a thread to mock them is pretty sad behaviour and it ultimately comes from the same mean-spirited place. There's a difference between mocking Stadia and Google on one hand, and mocking regular people on the other, and if mock threads can't exist without devolving into the latter I don't think we should have them. Yes this is Something Awful, but most of us are ten to twenty years older--or more--than we were when we joined and I think we can be expected to be better people than that.

Games as a forum is generally a pretty positive place and I want it to stay that way.

Pretty much all enduring mock threads reach a point where the most prominent posters in the threads become (or perhaps reveal themselves as?) deranged freaks that are outright psychotic in their quest to be the biggest hater of whatever thing they're mocking, instead of having a chuckle and moving on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Opinions differ on the Stux stuff, and that's definitely understandable, but I want to know what's the best way to handle weird stuff like the Pokemon posts Stux was replying to? I don't want to discourage criticism but there's posters who make very weirdly negative posts like that all over Games, and I'd love to find a way to discourage that sort of thing since then threads just get miserable to read.

Should we allow some mockery of that sort of thing in Games, or do we want to keep that aspect of SA out of the forum? Right now I've been handling that sort of thing inconsistently, but I'd love suggestions and feedback on how to handle negative and/or weird posters and how much leeway I should give on people mocking them, based on what the Games community prefers.

This is just one gamer's opinion but it's a real hard thing to balance because sometimes there's a bad reaction to someone saying something negative or even just mixed about a video game even if they're being polite and levelheaded about it. Therefore I propose a rule of thumb: Take mod action on this sort of thing if someone is posting screeds that make them sound like a jrpg villain (or if they're being extremely rude in a non-joking way I GUESS).