Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
most of this was already covered but i want to talk about a few things myself :D

imo thread bans do not work and they lead to absurd situations like someone eating a longer probation than the person actually posting stupid or offensive poo poo because they commented on a stupid post comparing mild griefing to rape. imo a poster should be punished for the posts they have made not because they broke some arbitrary rule about posting in a thread after an IK or mod told them not to post in it. hell... i actually forgot about blizzwatch for a while until i logged on and saw i had been given a day long prob for making fun of that post a day after i had already made it and waited out my sixer.

as for the blizzwatch thread itself. i PM'd Harrow my thoughts on the matter a few days ago don't know if he read or not and don't care because it wasn't an obligation for them to read it or anything i just wanted to post my thoughts about it while on probation. so i'll just give the short version of what I wrote. mock threads suck. they are only funny for a week or two and once stuff to make fun of runs out it either becomes a creepy cespool of goons stalking people like the star citizen subforum or reposting the same unfunny joke over and over like the doobie threads. chat threads suck too for the similar reasons because they form their own insular communities that are hostile to outsiders because they have grown accustomed to any weird behavior of regular posters in their threads

my final thoughts are that thread IKs are kinda not a good idea unless its the politics forums where slapfights are a common occurance. if a thread needs a dedicated IK just to moderate it then the mods need to evaluate the thread and decide if the thread is really worth having around imo.

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Harrow posted:

Thanks for keeping things mostly on track, everyone, and thanks to Athanatos and Metis for stepping in to guide things too. I am very tired and going to bed but I'll catch up and read what people posted in more detail tomorrow.

I did read the PM, and shared the feedback with other Games mods. I've been trying to think of what's best for Games and what's best for Blizzwatch for a few days now so I appreciated the input. Meant to reply but I've had an unusually large number of PMs lately so it slipped :cheers:

its all cool :cheers:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Roth posted:

My pronouns are she/her, please use them when you call me a dumbass

i will not call you a dumbass because that is rude and i dont know you but i for one will be sure to remember your pronouns as i would hate to misgender someone even accidentally :cheers:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
thread killer forum thriller

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Phigs posted:

I wanna add to this and say that the Blizzwatch thread was relatively good before it became a chat thread. Mostly because it was relatively slow. It was more of a thread that would drop down the page and then when something happened or someone ran into something they hated they'd complain about Blizzard in it and there would be some activity and then it would die down again. But, the fact that it was a thread that stuck around still caused some problems.

Firstly the thread grew its own history and identity. Certain people would behave a certain way in the thread and that would then become a part of the thread identity. So then people would come into the thread and attack the thread as being x or y or z, when really it was just specific posters within the thread. But because those posters were always in the thread their postings got tied to the thread. And because the thread had developed a sort of community over the long time it existed people would feel attacked by the thread being attacked. Then those people who complained about the thread became thread enemies, people who wanted the thread to die, etc. And there was this whole mythology over how all the Blizz fanbois hated criticism and etc etc. Just every fight kinda "stuck" and accumulated because the thread just kept going and it got pretty ugly. You're seeing that ugliness in this thread.

The chat part of the thread came about because of regular derails. Specifically FF14 derails. A number of people argued that the thread was about complaining about Blizzard but a bunch of the other regulars argued that FF14, as a competitor/alternative for WoW, was a valid line of discussion in the Blizz criticism thread. And that last opinion won out. Problem was this opened the floodgates and nobody could criticize the FF14 postings and they became much less "this is what FF14 does different from WoW" to more just straight up chatting about FF14. At that point it just became an anti-Blizzard and pro ff14 flavored chat thread. This aspect was even defended by mods/IKs (I don't pay attention to who is who) who said just let people chat we have a community here why can't they just chat what they want. But I agree with 16-bit Butt-Head that a chat thread built around negativity is not really a healthy thing for the games forum. It can be fine for the more drama-ridden forums like the politics ones but it really doesn't seem to fit games. It's just a massive source of drama. I mean just look at this thread now. You could throw it into QCS or D&D or CSPAM and it would fit right in.

I'm not sure about the exact ways to prevent what happened to the Blizzwatch thread but hopefully mods have some ideas based on how it went down.

the best way to handle a thread like this would be to simply it lock it when no new info has come out and then unlock it when new information is available to discuss because a thread does not need to be posted in every single day for it to be relevant

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 11, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Itzena posted:

Bit of an over-reaction on your part, but well everything that you've posted about this since you got threadbanned and took it personally has also been a bit of an overreaction, so taking a deep breath, counting to ten, and calming down might help.

Hopefully someone will use this whole debacle as motivation to finally create the serious discussion thread in Games about game development and developers and the on-going terrible actions and reactions therein that some people have been asking for since Blizzchat got moved out of CCCC originally.

:goofy: im not talking about the blizzwatch thread im talking about the aforementioned industry thread and ways to keep it from turning into a bad thread. also not sure why you think i'm mad about the threadban since i actually think its funny.

Moola posted:

nah he got probed because he's been threadbanned for terrible, TERRIBLE posts and continues to ignore the threadban and post anyway

he has a history of doing this in multiple threads apparently

Edit: Anyway the thread is moved out of Games now, so I don't see any reason to post about it in here any more

the only other thread i was banned from was the hosed up vtuber thread i was warned about the wow lore thread but lost interest because i dont think i can top the name Grommass Hemmoridcream and because i'm not interested in world of warcraft lore and didnt feel like reading a wikipedia to find names to make rear end puns with

take care of yourself out there and don't take the forums so seriously

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 11, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Saxophone posted:

Hi please don't attempt to harass me.

I legitimately don't know where to report this, but it's as a result of this thread so yeah.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Mock threads should always be gassed after a couple of weeks because once they run out of things to laugh about they either start repeating the same joke over and over or stalking someone and posting pictures of their house. The Stadia thread for example has run out of things to talk about. Everyone knows the Stadia is dead because everyone with a brain knew it would be dead on arrival. All the thread is now is goons trawling reddit for pro Stadia posts so they can re-post them here so they can weakly mock it. Thread should be gassed imo.

Endorph posted:

imo in future chat threads/mock threads that need IKs should at the very least not get IKs who post in the thread 500 times a day and who are freinds with everyone

it doesnt need to be someone they hate and it should probably be someone who already posts in the thread but it shouldnt be like, a lifer or something

but then itd hard to find a casual reader who wants to be ik

but idk, i think an ik whos so integrated and a Community Fixture just leads to the thread becoming insular

This is why I don't usually like thread specific IKs because any person eligible to be an IK will be a "regular" and ingrained into the thread and will likely miss or ignore any hosed up or stupid behavior from regulars in favor of probing outsiders coming in to call them out.

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 19, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

brand engager posted:

What if we just don't allow people who do poo poo like that on the forums

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

I just don't know if taking a categorical proscriptivist stance on "lol stadia" or similar is a very rational thing to do

jokes get old and unfunny and the stadia is old and unfunny. if there was still funny news about the stadia coming out then sure the thread could stick around but nothing has and the thread is just full of people getting angry at stux for posting long joker, people laughing at the people getting mad at Stux or people making fun of people on reddit who have managed to get some enjoyment out of the stadia.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Looper posted:

if we need a specific barometer i think finding and pasting a kid's school essay to mock is a good place to start

which thread did this lmao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
thread is fine it's just one or two posters that are being a problem :)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kavros posted:

The comparison to school board meeting regulars is pretty spot-on. :(

we need a mod that gets us free games and some free beer

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
very problematic name... may have to sue jeffrey

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its a funny joke stop overthinking it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
jeffrey should buy me a playstation 5

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
loling at being a "forums consultant"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
imo the name should continue being Games

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
a true gamer would sheathe their sword...

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
stux should remain free and be allowed to use star fox 64 voice clips on whoever he pleases

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
stux knew what he signed up for

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
stux is free to enjoy any game of his choosing for six whole hours and you sickos want to take that from him? hosed up...

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 31, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
stop obsessing over stux... its getting cringe

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Violen posted:

elden ring

never heard of it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sounds like it'd be even deader than the retro game subforum

its not dead at all, actually

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you cannot mention a blizzard game on this subforum without a bunch of freaks yelling at you and trying to imply you are a nazi rapist because you bought diablo 2 or 3 while it was on sale on the nintendo e-shop please kill them all with bans and probations

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Stux posted:

i think the number of issues with the thread in the short amount of time its existed shows thaht people are unable to help themselves. you can either enforce things much more strictly like the metoo thread, which would be absolutelyl miserable for whoever ended up having to do that because it would end up with insane amounts of people losing it over 6ers, or just get rid of the thread and conclude people here are too stupid to tlak about things like this in a normal way.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
no one has ever suddenly dropped dead because someone on the internet jokingly told them to die so stop trying to get your forums enemies punished over it because is really pathetic and sad and instead play some videogames and enjoy yourself

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you could lock the thread and then reopen it when there are new developments but it seems like a work and if a thread requires that much work and its own dedicated idiot king to keep it on track then the mods need to seriously consider if having the thread around is worth it or not

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mega64 posted:

I'm more lenient on obvious jokes on that, though the other mods may tackle it differently.

But I'll agree to probate that post when one of my probations inevitably kills someone.

more like mega sixty die

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Asema posted:

ah I see we're going to act like 2022 hasn't seen numerous terrorists become actual shooters that have online behavior that's concerning and go with "it's just joking around gosh"

though it was just simply a bad post in general

oh my god

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Zil posted:

My suggestion is to close this thread before it gets any worse.

no keep it open i want to see where this is going

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Harrow posted:

The "die" thing is probably more of a QCS issue but for my part I think there's a pretty obvious difference between posting "die!!!" or "I will blow you up with several perfectly-aimed volleys from a mortar positioned in a WWI-style trench" and telling someone to kill themselves or that you actually wish they were dead. I think most mods on this site are smart enough to tell the difference and punish the posts that are actually wishing harm on people.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the harshest punishment someone should get for typing the word die or envisioning a scenario where someone is killed by lavos should only be 12 hours maybe a day if the mod is feeling grumpy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think if you tell someone you wish they'd be spontaneously whisked through time and space onto the Titanic during its maiden voyage you should at most get like ... I don't know, a sixer

that sounds like it would be a fun trip if you got on a life boat in time

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Looper posted:

for some reason whenever this thread gets a lot of posts it's always the same people involved. maybe just ban everyone who's posted itt

they should all be killed by hidden blocks in super mario bros

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

I mean I had made this point before but I feel like the forums are in a weird place where there are two main cultures of people and there is no reconciling the two sides.

You have the people who want for more/stricter moderation and harsh punishments when people are insulting, using slurs, and telling people to kill themselves. Discussion and chat without chaos is the most important factor.

Then you have a camp that is more "no mods no masters" that want to shitpost unrestricted and see the forums as "how can I squeeze the most entertainment out of this."

Maybe that's a bit reductive, but I feel like the arguments are always the same people making the same arguments on the same sides. Neither side will ever agree because each side sees the SA forums as something different out of what it provides and what they want from it.

All I'm saying is, y'all better be happy I don't have a bunch of power here. I would delete FYAD, permaban all the regular FYAD posters, and then start handing out one month probes any time someone uses a slur or tells another poster to go die/kill themselves.

i think the moderation we have right now in games is pretty good OP

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i dont think the posters in games need to be coddled because we are all adults and when someone actually is being a piece of poo poo the mods have done a pretty good job of quickly punishing them. i think some of you just need to chill and relax and play videogames that you enjoy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kith posted:

What would you consider to be coddling?

demanding posters be banned for posting die when that should at worst just get you 24 hour probation for being annoying and demanding harsh punishments for mild trolling is more annoying than the trolls ever are and just encourages more of it and i want to believe everyone here is emotionally mature enough to handle some really mild trolling.

bloodychill posted:

Having spent a long time away from the forums and coming back to post condolences for a games friend who passed away and considering being active again, I noticed a lot of 2 star threads in Games. The PS5/Xbox/switch/steam threads being 2 star seems par for the course but why is it that almost every popular game thread is 2 star? What’s going on? Are people just unable to talk about popular games without being insufferable?

i vote every thread 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

die