Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

cheetah7071 posted:

That's not to say that I don't sometimes feel the same annoyance at an out-of-date OP but the source of that problem is that good OPs are a pain in the rear end to write and to update, and often want updating for years--plausibly far longer than the person who wrote it cares about the thread.

Ultimately I'm not sure there's anything we can really do about it, and even if there was, I don't really see a big use case for these elaborate OPs compared to other more specialized website. I'm open to being convinced on either of those points though! This is just my opinion, and this is explicitly a place where you can suggest changes to the status quo of the forum.

Phigs posted:

And for super old megathreads it's annoying to go fishing for the latest version of a game. It's especially annoying when the thread started on announcement, existed through early access, and is now well into release. Those kinda threads could really use some kind of timestamps to make them easier to get into.

Something i'd like to see is games that stick around at least getting rebooted once if the initial OP wasn't meaning to start a 1000 page thread. a good example is the apex legends thread. the current thread (and title I think, not that its bad) is basically like "uh hey this game is out here's a tiny bit of info," as the game creeps up on 2 years old with huge popularity.

I think Huge Elaborate OPs are a barrier to posting, as much as they're incredible, and make the OP of any thread feel like they own it or the thread needs to become an info center rather than a discussion thread. I don't think they're needed for hugely popular games though like Apex Legends or Rocket League, I'm not sure anyone needs a 4 page essay on what Rocket League is or an intro to Lifeline.

It's great when an OP is clearly a labor of love, or when the OP is trying to sell people on a game, but we really dont need anything more than "Heres whats new if youre just coming back to Apex in Season 6 <link>"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU