Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ok, to take this out of the Stadia thread: I don't think we need a billion more rules to deal with someone shitposting, and I agree bans (and permas) should be saved for extreme cases. But when someone has a rap sheet 4 pages long, and keeps shitposting in the same thread no matter how much they're told to stop, I think they should consistently get something more far than just more and more 6ers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, and it's a bit confusing when someone gets this message on their rap sheet and a 2 week probe:

quote:

These last 20 days (of which multiple you have been on probation anyway) you have been on a tear through multiple threads being obnoxious, insulting and condescending and been reported 50 times by nearly as many folks. Do not post the way you are posting. User loses posting privileges for 2 weeks.
... And then absolutely nothing stops them from continuing to post the same way the second it's up.

And again, I know the mods do care and are stretched thin. Just, you know, make the probes more than 6 or 12 hours when someone thinks it's funny to keep goading the mods into probing them. It's just making MORE work for the mods. Probe them for a LOT longer, repeatedly, and then maybe they'll stop.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Honestly, I'd be absolutely fine with that. But, putting aside that what is funny is subjective, it's clearly not possible.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

brand engager posted:

the posts look pretty tame to me, why would this need more than 6 hours?

That post was AFTER Stux had posted a series of joker pictures that were so tall it made the thread impossible to browse on mobile. And honestly, I don't really care about Stux' dumb satire posts, but when every page is like 1/3 Stux posts, it stops being funny real quick.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Harrow posted:

I think part of the reason I treat the Stadia thread and Stux's posts there how I do is that... honestly, there's not a ton going on in that thread at any given time. There have been stretches when Stux was on probation that the thread didn't get a new post for days on end, and times during his threadban when nobody was really bothering to post in the thread except to react to Stux posts. If Stux was disrupting a lively, active thread, I think I'd see it differently, and the bar for when it's funny and when it's just annoying would probably be higher.

That also means that, when there is actual discussion going on, if Stux (or anyone) starts trolling in a way that's derailing and disrupting discussion, I'll put them on probation (or, if I'm not around, report them and hopefully a mod who is around will do so) so that discussion can continue undisrupted.

I think that's WHY Stux chose the Stadia thread. Because it's easy to get away with it there. And then you get all these posts like "if it's that easy to troll, closed/gas the thread", etc. So if a thread goes dormant a lot when there's no news (which is normal!) it's ok to troll it? If that's the decision, sure, ok, but I see where this is leading - the thread is just going to get worse and worse because the only thing that's happening is Stux trolling, and then it really will get closed or gassed eventually, and then you've just let a troll win by letting them dictate the fate of the thread. And regardless of whether it's the Stadia thread or some other thread, that sucks.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't see how Stux is "just mocking mock threads" by spamming them with blocks of text and giant images. Maybe that might have been Stux' position before but now it's clearly just "spam the thread incessantly until it's gassed".

And as for the people calling for the Stadia thread to be closed, I mean, if trolling is just allowed there now as long as it's slow, then those people are right. It really doesn't seem worth it. I like the Stadia thread, because yeah, it's fun to dunk on Google, but if it's going to make this much work for the mod team then just cut it off already.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

In addition to his long-running bullshit in the Stadia thread, Stux has this tendency to just absolutely poo poo up whatever thread has his attention. It's not necessarily shitposting either - in the Switch and Xbox threads, Stux will roll in, smugly disagree with people about something in the most hostile manner possible, argue endlessly, and next thing you know the thread is about Stux until he fucks off.

The guy is absolutely toxic in Games and I have no idea why a billion probes don't equal a ban at some point. He never learns anything from the probes, ever. He's just an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat, he's open about this, and the mods don't give a poo poo. I don't know if they're tee-hee Discord pals with him or what but it's absolutely bizarre to see. As someone who has been on SA for entirely too long, it's the strangest thing to witness this level of accommodation for someone so dedicated to ruining discussion.

Yeah pretty much. Look at his rap sheet. This is what he does. Probing him does nothing. Why is it still tolerated? Does the mod team WANT more work?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

All this (frankly, I think, bizarre) hatred of mock threads is beside the point. What I see is a poster is being really lovely and has been for a long, long time, and nothing substantial is been done to stop him, so he's intentionally ramping it up. That sucks. And apparently it's going to be ok to shitpost a thread into oblivion as long as the thread is not currently very active. That also sucks.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe I’m the weirdo but I feel like if someone has 50+ 6ers on their rap sheet, maybe they should just be banned.

I'd agree with that if I thought that bans were a good deterrent. In practice, they are more a $10 tax than an actual ban. And we have no way of knowing how much any one poster actually cares about losing that $10. I think the only actual effective deterrent is a long probation, like a week long or more. Six hour probations are more just a cooling off period than anything that stops poo poo posting.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

The notion that a probation is a more effective "deterrent" than a $10 rereg is ridiculous, IMO.

I've seen plenty of posters rereg immediately over and over like it was absolutely nothing. With probations, they actually do stay away until it's over. I'd say a week or month-long probation is a much bigger punishment than a ban.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, I guess I should rephrase, I do think bans are better than what's currently happening. But I also think long probations are better than bans.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Vulin posted:

lol, he put himself on a crusade against threads he finds unfunny and calls others freaks. Really overbrimming with some weird energies.

If you take Stux at his word then he's literally a backseat mod who shitposts to destroy threads he doesn't like

But it's all "ironic" so it's ok I guess!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well as long as there's no more thread-breaking images and a shitposter doesn't actually cause a thread they don't like to be closed/gassed, I'm happy. I don't get why the mods want to make more work for themselves by watching certain posters like a hawk to dole out 6ers, but whatever.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

:waycool:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lotta people mad about a thread they could just not post in

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So is this a callout thread now for stuff not in the games forum? Yeah, I did that, and I regret it now, no excuses. Think whatever you want about me, I'm just some internet douchebag. Doesn't relate to anything here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Endorph posted:

I appreciate you copping to it and regretting it. However, if you regret it, surely you understand how an insular community built around mocking something can encourage and enable that kind of behavior if not kept in check.

Yeah, I absolutely do. What I did was over the line and I now actively discourage others from doing it. If it goes over that line again I'm out - I wouldn't touch the Star Citizen thread back when Derek Smart was involved because of his creepy poo poo.