Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Outrail posted:

Lol that posting blew up in this thread in response to someone complaining noone responds to their posts.

Which ended with lots of good faith, helpful criticism on said posts! This place is a good place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Vulin posted:

Imho, if people openly declare that they are doing troll posts not for the comedy of it, but to run people off the site because they think they don't belong on it, they should get a more harsh treatment than just a series of 6ers. Having a ligher approach to moderation shouldn't mean keeping people around that want to bully others away.

is there a specific example of this you're reacting to, or is this just a general sentiment?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Vulin posted:

I'm very obviously talking about Stux talking in this thread about wanting to destroy posters he doesn't like.

Are you talking specifically about this quote?

stux posted:

the lengths some people went to earlier in the thrread to try and create some moral cause, including relitigating someone using the r word in cccc only to show no interest in actually persuing it, prefering to use it as a weapon in an unrelated matter, or labelling someone posting pictures of the joker as problematic, is far more offensive than aynthing ive ever said or even the things they were complaining about. if they had any sembelence of a spine or actual morals they would be so sufficiently ashamed by their behavior that they would drop the subject and i reserve the right to destroy them on site in this thread.

Are you genuinely unable to understand the context of this comment, or are you purposefully being reductive to misrepresent stux here?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The Stadia thread was a circlejerk to the point where it had to be shut down unless there was some Stadia-specific announcement, way before stux ever started doing his thing. I think it's probably best if it go back to that state.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FAUXTON posted:

https://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/1/

I hope the forum rules can help your decision process in these difficult scenarios!

I wonder what those rules actually say wow it's been a long time

quote:

Respect the Mods and Writers: The moderators are here to keep the forums safe, sane, and secure. If they ask you to do something, please do it. Please do not harass or intentionally annoy the mods or insult the front page writers. If you do not like the mods or the moderation, feel free to not post here.

oh. well, that wouldn't be relevant to uh...

quote:

Harass and Sass: If somebody is harassing you on the forums then discuss it with them over PM or email before contacting a mod about it. Flames and insults do not constitute harassment. Please do not post others' personal information (phone number, addresses, emails, etc.). Try to stay out of other peoples' personal lives as well. Keep in mind there's a good distinction between the Internet and real life.

i mean, dude that seems like it's pretty specific to the way you're

quote:

Backseat modding. We have more than enough mods and admins here. Please do not act like an armchair admin.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

thetoughestbean posted:

I actually would like to apologize to the folks in the thread for making GBS threads it up earlier today. I got mad and now that I have eaten dinner, it was extremely dumb

this is a nice post

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Saxophone posted:

Oh drat where are my manners. Should I be acting more owned?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Moola posted:

k legit question, am I the only one who thinks this weird trend of telling people to die *~but in a comedy way~* is not funny or cool?

this may be more of a QCS whinge but I've seen it happening a lot in Games specifically

no this is not about a weird perceived forums grudges. I barely remember what I ate for breakfast let alone usernames on a dead comedy site

Who, specifically, told who to die and in what context? If it's not about a forum grudge, I'm sure you can come up with lots of specific examples of this widespread posting phenomenon that bothers you so much. Link posts so we can figure out what you're talking about.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Honestly, industry stuff generally gets talked about in the monthly general chat thread which is a cool and chill and pleasant and very nice thread full of spectacular gamers. Having a thread solely dedicated to dissecting industry dysfunction is just going to end up in dysfunction. It's not a constructive premise. Any thread talking about industry news is going to need to go off-topic and/or cover something positive now and then to stay healthy.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Asema posted:

Like I don't post in the thread. I have no interest in a games centric approach so I stay out of it, but I saw that this thread had 50+ posts since the last time Stux got probated for something stupid and read up about it and it's the same posters, making the same arguments, over the same dumb bullshit.

the thread, that you just admitted you don't post in and stay out of, was absolutely not fine.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Asema posted:

Why would I? Why change the subject? What exactly does your post achieve here?

we were talking about the games industry thread for quite a few pages before you showed up, i'm not sure you have room to complain about changing the subject.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Harrow posted:

It's pretty clear this is no longer about the Games Industry Dysfunction thread, especially because everyone is pointedly ignoring mutata's posts on the matter. I remember when they were driven out of the thread for trying to bring some sort of actual context to the discussion when people didn't want to hear it and it definitely solidified my opinion that a thread about the games industry that drives out actual workers in that industry has a problem.

No, Asema is specifically derailing it to complain about Stux. I engaged with mutata's point and a couple other people did too, I would love to actually discuss that topic.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I fully understand the people saying it's worthless and that discussion about this stuff happens in other threads just fine, but there were enough people saying it's a valuable concept for a thread that I want to give it at least one try. I want to especially emphasise input from people actually in the industry, and really avoid baseless speculation or fanciful conclusions.

I don't think it needs to die, but the focus on dysfunction could maybe change? I think having the premise of the thread be explicitly about dysfunction will necessarily lead back to the weird conspiracy stuff that drove mutata (and me, frankly) out of that thread. Having it be a more general industry chat thread A: puts more weight on the opinions of posters actually in the games industry and B: requires a shitload less moderation. And C: just gives some breathing room to difficult topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
someone less broke than me please buy mutata a nice avatar