Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cheetah7071 posted:

I hope you all at least enjoyed my atelier gif

May 8, 2006

oddium posted:

change the name of the forum back, cheers

it will go back following dia de los muertos

May 8, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

This is a thing I thought about as a poster and then immediately forgot about when I got buttons. I’ll try and took a look and see if this is feasible and how we’d go about doing it. So yes, definitely will get looked at.

thanks for putting that thread together SNU!!!!

May 8, 2006

Yes, please report things you see if you feel you need to - we won't run out of reports! Games is a no-tolerance zone for slurs but we rely on y'all.

May 8, 2006

Ohtsam posted:

And on the thought of posting a small thread just for a single small topic :justpost: let it live or die on its merits. Putting it in another subforum will make them be ignored even harder than they would be otherwise.

This is my thought on it too, we aren't going to run out of threads so if you want to post a thread go for it. If it dies it dies.

May 8, 2006

oddium posted:

should have been "game over"

i would have chose this except it's never happened to me, so i don't see it as that scary

May 8, 2006

oddium posted:

dota happened to you ??

for almost 800 hours :(

May 8, 2006

the arch vile sound effects

May 8, 2006

unskippable cutscene before a hard boss fight

May 8, 2006

the idea the past Games was a bastion of effort posts that has been lost in recent years is hilarious imo.

what defines a low effort post? is a reply of "lol" low effort if it's actually the funniest reply? what if a post is voluminous but extremely stupid?

May 8, 2006

solution: Mode 7 for Switch Thread IK

May 8, 2006

i agree with a lot of the criticism posted here today but dropping 'mods are pedos' on Harrow, who does not deserve it and was already agreeing with you, in order to make your point is pretty gross Stux. i feel confident in saying that i know you don't actually think that of Harrow but as someone who has had to sit across a table from actual real life pedophiles and their victims for work i think it would be better for this space to avoid tossing it around to get owns in.

May 8, 2006

Stux posted:

it wasnt an attempt to get an own in. i was illustrating that it is not accepted on the forums to casually throw terms around using a specific example that happens relatively often and is heavily punished. if i had said that in any other context i doubt adding "if im wrong it was a mistake" on the end wouldve stopped me from getting probated or banned, and that was my point. i apologise for being inflammatory, but the original issue was someone being called a rapist/however u want to read that insinuation, not something flippant.

i hear you here and to be clear i agree that calling people rapists(or implying it so you can plausibly deny it to avoid probes) both sucks poo poo and should be handled more consistently. to sort of spread this to the forum in general my perception has been that there is more mean-spirited sniping, like the stuff described here, that sucks and shouldn't be ignored across Games for the past, i dunno, yearish? i'm sure my post history will prove that i'm not innocent in this stuff but i've been trying to be more mindful of it and choose to just not post instead. i don't think trolling/shitposting should be banned, that's asinine, but i think the way in which it articulates has jumped to more often being serious accusations across the forum. i can only speak to the small handful of threads i follow, of course, but to borrow today's example i feel that posts that would have gotten a 'you're dumb as gently caress' in the past now are more likely to get a 'you must be in league with rapists.' that said, having been online for too long, i can empathize with people who are just exhausted of giving people the benefit of the doubt and whose nerves are raw.

i don't have a good suggestion to the mods on how to handle this. i don't think threadbans should be off the table but i don't feel that they really work in the way they're intended to. again, to be clear, i do think you should be allowed to mock the mock threads. if you're unfunny and get bopped, that's the risk. if you feel it was because you jostled an echo chamber, that's what this thread is for.

however, i'm also willing to accept that this isn't everyone else's experience and i'm principal skinner in this one and should just log off.

May 8, 2006

the industry thread would be fine here, you're not going to get better moderation in d&d or wherever

May 8, 2006

I think 'report and move on' is outdated advice and in a forum like this, where anyone posting is likely a longtime member, posting should be challenged at the local level. If that fails, sure, escalate. But in my experience modding many reported posts were handled before a mod even looked and required no action because people hashed out the issue themselves

If your faith that this can meaningfully happen is lower than mine I can't criticize you for feeling otherwise, however.

May 8, 2006

since the moderation issue was discussed through and the admins made their decision maybe this isn't the thread for continuing to hash out posting spats. none of you are going to win anything.

May 8, 2006

they're so insane they took screenshots of another forum to come and complain about

May 8, 2006

Harrow posted:

slap deez

May 8, 2006

having posting in/lurked some of the same threads as stux, i'd perhaps examine the situation that the baseline quality of discussion is generally so banal that any mildly inflammatory post instantly grabs all the attention.

stux can be defeated in two clicks, you just have to have the courage to do so. "but people will still quote him!" unfortunate, scroll on by

May 8, 2006

Mr. Trampoline posted:

A lot of people have already done this though. Stux is the 15th most ignored user on these forums.

precedent has been set

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

This is Games so we should settle the argument of bans through something Games related. Death match? Competitive match 3? High stakes rock paper scissor?

i believe the traditional option is 3rd strike

May 8, 2006

mods change my name to Extremely Problematic Shady Poster tia

May 8, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I can say from experience that the stressful part of being a mod isn't stux, it's stuff like this thread lol

Still better than qcs though

yes, part of the problem was having to review slapfights between tedious wieners, which almost never warranted any moderation action, and then having to deal with the complaints that their posting enemy didn't receive a big enough time out. the idea that the moderators should babysit every thread to make sure you never see a post that is annoying is highly corrosive.

junan_paalla posted:

These long joker posts are really problematic, we need equally wide jokers to even in out

personally i'd just turn my monitor off to see this

May 8, 2006

Saxophone posted:

I do like the part where everyone that quoted me just conveniently left off the part where the admin defended them.

Also, holy poo poo why are slurs allowed anywhere on this site? Which I guess isn't a games question, but Jesus Christ.

I guess where I'm at is this: You're perpetuating if not encouraging lovely posters to drive away good posters on a site that admits its' user base is dwindling. Why would you do that? Why does one poster's "fun" supercede lots of other posters unfun?

I'll leave it there because if you can't see how that negative feedback loop turns the site into a poo poo place, I don't think there's a magic combination of words to get you to.

the slurs thing is a higher level discussion than here, yeah

the thing about this line of argument is that Games is still very active and better than it has been in the past, at least as far as I can remember. for all my many problems with it you'd be hard pressed to find a better place to talk about videogames online.

May 8, 2006

can someone help me fix my jerk detector, whenever i put the batteries back in it just goes off non stop

May 8, 2006

please edit it so I'm the guy checking out the horse's rear end

May 8, 2006

cheetah: thank you

asema: i will destroy you

May 8, 2006

Harrow posted:

I won't be a mod forever (I hope)

for this post
a curse on Harrow
a mod today
and always tomorrow

May 8, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

https://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/1/

I hope the forum rules can help your decision process in these difficult scenarios!

rather than make a joke post about this i'm going to tell you that this, along with your giant post, are actually a big part of what makes modding terrible here. if you have issues you are more than welcome to bring them forward but obnoxious screeds with no substance don't actually help anyone solve anything. people who think that typing a lot is the same as having a meaningful opinion are always the first to get lovely when you don't do a line-by-line breakdown of their dingus' manifesto.

go outside you're being a dork

May 8, 2006

ban anyone who claims to be normal

May 8, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

alright, go ahead and close up shop. no legitimate concerns are going to be heard now lol

if you have some feel free to post them

May 8, 2006

just block and move forward patiently. be ready to antiair if he jumps but otherwise stux doesn't have a meterless reversal so once you get in you're free to mix

May 8, 2006

call it 'The tub jumpscare from Eternal Darkness'

May 8, 2006

my posting pays your salary and i DEMAND you revert the 6er i got for posting kirby with detailed feet this instant

May 8, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm accepting bids for the NFT of this image

i offer one(1) positive post about a game of your choosing

May 8, 2006

Harrow posted:

I think some people conflate "in-depth analysis" with "tedious, multi-page arguments about whether Game X is ethically bad because <insert oversimplified thematic assertion here>" but I would hope this forum can have the former without constantly devolving into the latter.

much of the analysis posted is sub-101 so this sort of thing crops up and the general culture is to dunk on it before pushing people to take a better swing at it. you could try to shift this but i don't see a lot of people taking time out of their busy posting scheduling to meaningfully critique a post that says if you like a mario game you're a monarchist or something

Games does sometimes have an issue with enforced positivity but it generally appears in pre-release threads for games where anything but raw unthinking hype is considered trolling or threadshitting.

May 8, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Sorry was looking in a mirror and trying to brace myself because Lady VG just bought me Metroid Dread. Predicting my future.

VG to the mirror: "You can do this. You can have a good time playing an excellent video game. I believe I you, gamer."

May 8, 2006

gently caress you

May 8, 2006

if you reopen that thread I'll kill everyone in it with an immaculate shock combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

this thread isn't really for feedback on the slur saying parts of the site, it's just for games and right now specifically this one thread