Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

DoctorWhat posted:

Some people's brains got broken by the timing of Steven Universe's focus on estranged conservative parent relationships and the election of Donald Trump and they simply never recovered.

Which ends up being kind of ironic because, on revisiting that episode, it's moral is really more aimed AT estranged conservative relatives. It's less a case of "Our LGBTQ+ viewerbase should be nice to their rear end in a top hat conservative relatives over Thanksgiving" and more "Hey rear end in a top hat conservative relatives, you're only making yourself miserable and estranging yourself from your own family by being a dick to your LGBTQ+ relatives. Stop that and go hang out with your nice boy nephew and his lesbian space rock family..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh thank goodness!
That wasn't intended as a dig at CD, just orchid and TV IV.

Thank you for efforts in keeping CD free of people unable to tell Homelander is racist.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Delphisage posted:

Stumbled on this channel called "Lily & Mikaila Orchard" looking for videos about modern cartoons. Should I watch their videos?

no, absolutely not, all their videos and opinions are dogshit unless you like 3 hour rants about how childrens cartoons are satan for not killing all the bad guys or whatever

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
So One piece is pirates, Naruto is ninjas, Bleach what's the story here? Janitors?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

That wasn't intended as a dig at CD, just orchid and TV IV.

Thank you for efforts in keeping CD free of people unable to tell Homelander is racist.

Haha I know, it was more of a relief to not get lumped in there lol.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cugel posted:

So One piece is pirates, Naruto is ninjas, Bleach what's the story here? Janitors?

sword ghosts

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Booky posted:

no, absolutely not, all their videos and opinions are dogshit unless you like 3 hour rants about how childrens cartoons are satan for not killing all the bad guys or whatever

Lily twists herself in knots to make She-Ra bad about representation. It would be funny if it didn't take up half your day.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dawgstar posted:

Lily twists herself in knots to make She-Ra bad about representation. It would be funny if it didn't take up half your day.

Is her take on Shadow Weaver (the best funniest character in the show) as insane as I assume it is?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I watched Lily Orchard's Legend of Korra video when it popped up on my feed, and while I thought she made some good points at the time, something about the whole thing seemed off. Now I'm content to just take other people at their word regarding how much of a trainwreck she is.

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, I'm fully willing to accept that the manga dodges 90% of the issues with the anime that pushed me away. I might pick it up for vacations reading, assuming i survive my finals tomorrow.

I'm probably gonna subscribe to the Jump app to catch up on One Piece in the near future. I might as well refresh my memory on Bleach and Naruto while I'm on it.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 6, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

orchard and critics like them tend to not realize that kids cartoons aren't usually going to end with the redeemed bad guys going to the hague in megajail or whatever, because its fiction and the chars can just make up for their sins

Dawgstar posted:

lmao

i think their opinion about new she-ra was that it was Bad Actually because u see catra was bad and then became Good and as we all know people cannot simply be better, especially fictional gay catgirls

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it pwns that certain strains of pop culture critics recreated that Hayes Code rule of bad guys always paying for their crimes from first principles which resulted in stuff like hitchcock movies having random bits at the end where a radio message says "by the way they arrested the bad guy and he is in jail"

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
EDIT:NVM

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 6, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
She-Ra has some tonal wackiness from the juxtaposition of the high school prom drama angle with the galactic war against genocidal fascism.

Unlike Steven Universe using Steven as a naive viewport and using the townies as metaphor and lenses for the broader and more sober conflict, She-Ra uses the same cast and viewport for the metaphor as for the plot.

This can be leveraged for bathos, comedy, and tension, but the first half of She-Ra is in all honesty a relatively amateurish production blemished by inexperienced voice performances and direction, underdrawn poses, and clunky dialogue. The second production bloc improves on all these traits tremendously and brings the series to a much more satisfying conclusion.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Booky posted:

orchard and critics like them tend to not realize that kids cartoons aren't usually going to end with the redeemed bad guys going to the hague in megajail or whatever, because its fiction and the chars can just make up for their sins

theres just a preoccupation with the idea of what message its telling the kids and apparently doing a basic-rear end redemption plot will teach kids that being evil is actually very good or something. idk where it came from.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

theres just a preoccupation with the idea of what message its telling the kids and apparently doing a basic-rear end redemption plot will teach kids that being evil is actually very good or something. idk where it came from.

Fear that kids will grow up to sympathize with and vote for Republicans if they're not told to give no quarter to ideological opponents?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Delphisage posted:

Forgiving Diamonds bad.

Forgiving Sasuke good.

Man, why is Naruto always on my mind?

I don't know why you bring up poo poo randomly in every thread either.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't know why you bring up poo poo randomly in every thread either.

I'm trying to interact.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Booky posted:

lmao

i think their opinion about new she-ra was that it was Bad Actually because u see catra was bad and then became Good and as we all know people cannot simply be better, especially fictional gay catgirls

That insane Twitter thread of hers that starts out as really bad writing advice and degenerates into just a bald faced unhinged rant about how loving livid she was at She-Ra just... existing, I guess, lives rent free in my head because it's so hilarious.

Especially the back to back tweets that were literally like Tip #58: If a character kills over 100,000 people, they're irredeemable monsters and should be hated by everyone. Tip #59: Unless they're specific characters that I, Lilian Orchard, love and adore, thereby you must also love and adore them or I will find the closest knife and stab you with it repeatedly, because I'm right and I have hours of my screaming like a deranged lunatic who's strangling a cat on mic to prove it.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

cugel posted:

I would kill to read a shounen manga centered around janitors. Like no magic or anything just a bunch of cleaners constantly trying to outdo each other. Maybe there's a custodial tournament arc

edit: also orchard is a hack and I'm glad everyone's saying it

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I would kill to read a shounen manga centered around janitors. Like no magic or anything just a bunch of cleaners constantly trying to outdo each other. Maybe there's a custodial tournament arc

This is Kaiju no 8 from what I gather?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-bprwAKDgM

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Man I hate current Youtube formatting. It's impossible to watch this stuff with my phone horizontal.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Nobody who gets legitimately screaming, ranting mad over a cartoon is of sound mind enough to consider their opinions worth heeding.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

secretly best girl posted:

This is Kaiju no 8 from what I gather?

Eh, don’t get your hopes up.

Protag starts as kaiju clean up crew then gets powers and joins spec ops

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the thing is that kids cartoon artists are trying to make meaningful stories with positive messages for children, that are still developing and can use messages about forgiveness, self-worth, self-care, etc

but then the internet, who believes that everything is for them, analyzes these kids cartoons as if they are adult media, and thus every episode is ACTUALLY trying to say something about being accommodating to fascism, or is secretly racist, and it isn't doing enough if the main character doesn't shoot the villain in the head with a gun and then shout "Communism bitch"

wide swaths of internet mocked bronies for taking media that wasn't aimed at them and claiming it, and then these same people built fandoms/antis around Steven Universe and She-Ra and did it themselves

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 6, 2022

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Sucks that "anime at huge risk of being lost media because they are less likely to get physical releases" gets lumped into "anime bad."

Not bitter that I can only watch my favorite anime, Wotokai, on Amazon Prime. At least I can own the manga. =/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Media preservation is an uphill battle and I applaud anyone like Kenny Lauderdale or Ross Scott for doing their best to resurrect old shows and games for future generations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what was this because it no longer exists

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

Sucks that "anime at huge risk of being lost media because they are less likely to get physical releases" gets lumped into "anime bad."

Not bitter that I can only watch my favorite anime, Wotokai, on Amazon Prime. At least I can own the manga. =/

NAS + plex + private trackers is the only way for the future imo

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Alaois posted:

Something called "My Hidden Shame"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alaois posted:

It was a vertical short video of something

This might've been it, it looks familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BXgCv0ZkM0

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

cugel posted:

Bleach is grim reapers who ostensibly are supposed to help ghosts cross over and redeem bad ghosts so they can also cross. It fairly quickly just becomes about grim reaper conflicts with basically no ghost stuff. The fact that everyone is hanging around the afterlife really only comes up once when bad guys who were killed in the previous arc show up again to help later.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

the thing is that kids cartoon artists are trying to make meaningful stories with positive messages for children, that are still developing and can use messages about forgiveness, self-worth, self-care, etc

but then the internet, who believes that everything is for them, analyzes these kids cartoons as if they are adult media, and thus every episode is ACTUALLY trying to say something about being accommodating to fascism, or is secretly racist, and it isn't doing enough if the main character doesn't shoot the villain in the head with a gun and then shout "Communism bitch"

I think another major factor is that a lot of these people, especially those that are heavily involved in fandom culture, seem to have trouble wrapping their heads around the idea that it's okay to just not be a fan of a thing. One of the major vibes I've gotten from Lily Orchard and other internet people like her is that Steven Universe or She-Ra or whatever just isn't really their scene, and they're desperately searching for some kind of moral justification for not liking it. It's not enough to just say "Eh, this particular cartoon just isn't for me, I'm not really a fan", you have to be morally correct for disliking it.

The internet in general, and fandom in particular, has really instilled this mindset into a lot of people that the media they consume is an extension of their identity and that watching or enjoying the "wrong" thing is a personal or moral failing.

cugel posted:

muscles like this! posted:

Bleach is grim reapers who ostensibly are supposed to help ghosts cross over and redeem bad ghosts so they can also cross. It fairly quickly just becomes about grim reaper conflicts with basically no ghost stuff. The fact that everyone is hanging around the afterlife really only comes up once when bad guys who were killed in the previous arc show up again to help later.

If I had to classify it in the broadest terms, I'd say Bleach is samurai.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Pretty much nothing the Soul Reapers do is comparable to how samurai behaved in the Sengoku period. I'd just classify it as "Swordsmen".

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Delphisage posted:

Pretty much nothing the Soul Reapers do is comparable to how samurai behaved in the Sengoku period. I'd just classify it as "Swordsmen".

Yes, and pretty much nothing Naruto and friends do is comparable to how ninja behaved in the Sengoku period...

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

KingKalamari posted:

Yes, and pretty much nothing Naruto and friends do is comparable to how ninja behaved in the Sengoku period...

Good point.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

If I had to classify it in the broadest terms, I'd say Bleach is samurai.

Yeah, especially when the grim reapers start fighting each other and bleeding buckets of ghost(?) blood from their injuries.like atraight from a samurai movie.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 6, 2022

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Speaking of SU, Tariq did a nice little short video recently covering one of my favorite episodes from back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_TT7iiXRIw

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Delphisage posted:

Very few pieces of media about samurai fully depict that, if that's a disqualifier then most quintessential samurai films wouldn't count. It's not really any different to portrayals of knights or cowboys, it's pop-culture reflecting itself and mythology, not history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Dire Lemming posted:

Very few pieces of media about samurai fully depict that, if that's a disqualifier then most quintessential samurai films wouldn't count. It's not really any different to portrayals of knights or cowboys, it's pop-culture reflecting itself and mythology, not history.

I get it, I made a stupid take with bringing up historical Japan.

I thought calling everyone in Bleach "ronin" was impossible since they all work for an authority, but I couldn't call them "samurai" because none of them wear armor. So I went with the generic "swordsman" term since almost everybody uses magical swords to fight each other.