Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Because Arlong was a shithead who had no intention of following though on his end of the bargain, as soon as it looked like she might get close he sicced his cop buddy on her so he could walk away with the loot.

Yes but it looks like the units were screwed up a bit. The village pays up 25 million. 100.000 per person every month.

It made me wonder if the original had them gather something like 250.000 per month or whatever but it got jumbled in the translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Yardbomb posted:

I like One Piece, but haki stuff was a mainly lame development to me, the fruits added enough cool ways to bend people's powers without needing to go into power aura junk.

Haki had some weird growing pains where for a long time it was basically just some bullshit that let you trump devil fruit powers without any real explanation. Once they explained what it was and established some hard rules for how it worked things started to improve on that front. They've done a pretty good job working it into the setting since then, where its more of a complimentary thing to existing powers or abilities instead of some "I can just do anything now" nonsense.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Luffy is so boringly overpowered the show has to make up ways to take him out of the fight for a while so other people get to fight a bit. Then the show coyly hints that Luffy might die. But he's on the cover so I think he'll be alright.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Is that better or worse than DBZ where the characters can, and frequently do, die but it's also meaningless. I mean I guess it's a good way to take a character out of a fight.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Haki is largely stupid because it's entirely pointless rules lawyering and defining of poo poo you don't need to explain at all. "Oh god his presence alone shows he's clearly so strong I can't even bring myself to attack him" vs "Well he's got the third level King Dick Hyper Haki meaning he can do these specific things but not to someone with the same King Dick Level or higher." Like a lot of One Piece's it's not really thought through and it doesn't add more than not having at all and it took years too long to actually get to it or expand on it.

Also there's only been like 1 decent antagonist since the time skip and you can tell this because everyone shits their pants with excitement any time the actually fun villains pop back up for 2 chapters to talk about doing something later (4 years IRl time).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Wasn't there a one shot not too long ago where Ryuk gives the death note to loving Donald Trump?

And then Donald Trump decides to lock it away instead of using it to murk every last person he disliked, like he absolutely would have immediately done in real life?

The Shinigami King changed the rules because he was loving pissed that someone actually tried selling the Death Note to where if anyone even accepted a sold Death Note they'd die so Trump did the next thing he would have done in real life; give that poo poo back and lie to the world by saying that he totally still has it and it's bigger than you'd ever believe, don't mess with the US or else we'll use the Death Note's fury, MAGA

MechaX fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 10, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Katt posted:

Luffy is so boringly overpowered the show has to make up ways to take him out of the fight for a while so other people get to fight a bit. Then the show coyly hints that Luffy might die. But he's on the cover so I think he'll be alright.

I mean yeah, they arent going to kill off the main protagonist of the show. That's true of the majority of fiction :shrug:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

I mean yeah, they arent going to kill off the main protagonist of the show. That's true of the majority of fiction :shrug:

But they still make cliffhangers around it. Over and over again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also One Piece is doing the same stupid thing the other Big 3 shonen did where they're revealing Luffy's backstory and heritage sets him as actually super important to the setting and the nexus of several powerful groups.

It sucked with Naruto and Bleach and it's stupid as hell with Luffy too, even if it's not as bad (yet) as where they ended.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Can I just get an underpowered protagonist that saves the day with wit, guile and luck?

Instead of an indestructible protagonist that spends most of their time playing with and beating the poo poo of out weaker opponents that never stood a chance in the world.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Garrand posted:

Is that better or worse than DBZ where the characters can, and frequently do, die but it's also meaningless. I mean I guess it's a good way to take a character out of a fight.

There were stakes originally, with the resurrections being a one-time only get-out-of-jail card for the characters. When the Namekian dragon balls were introduced, the restrictions there seemed a bit arbitrary - you can bring back someone as many times as you want, you have to be super specific about how you want them brought back, and only one person at a time. I see it a bit as a symptom of Toriyama pretty much writing the Cell arc pretty much by the seat of his pants (#19 and #20 are the big bad guys! No wait, it's #17 and #18, and also possibly this #16 guy! No wait, it's this bug man called Cell and... uh... he has to absorb #17 and #18 to transform because that hasn't been done to death already, right?). You then end up with the supposed definitive end of Goku dying at the end and choosing to stay dead, only for the series to continue with an author who has clearly stopped giving a gently caress, and consequently, nothing means anything any more when we get to Buu (except Vegeta's death, but mostly because of character development related reasons).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Katt posted:

Can I just get an underpowered protagonist that saves the day with wit, guile and luck?

Instead of an indestructible protagonist that spends most of their time playing with and beating the poo poo of out weaker opponents that never stood a chance in the world.

Sounds like more than a fair number of Joestars tbh.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sounds like more than a fair number of Joestars tbh.

Yeah, even the strongest JoJo's often enough have to puzzle out how to beat some of the really weirdo stand users.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

It takes a lot to get me to feel sorry for Don Kreig but this show managed to do it. And I'm pretty sure he's a euphemism for nazis or something.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also One Piece is doing the same stupid thing the other Big 3 shonen did where they're revealing Luffy's backstory and heritage sets him as actually super important to the setting and the nexus of several powerful groups.

It sucked with Naruto and Bleach and it's stupid as hell with Luffy too, even if it's not as bad (yet) as where they ended.

I mean that was established pretty early on, considering that Luffy's father is a wanted revolutionary leader, his grandpa was a vice admiral, and the whole D middle name thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, even the strongest JoJo's often enough have to puzzle out how to beat some of the really weirdo stand users.

Yeah the main characters power is punching things really hard and really fast (lol Star Finger), most of the later episodes are about how to win in spite of that,

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I mean that was established pretty early on, considering that Luffy's father is a wanted revolutionary leader, his grandpa was a vice admiral, and the whole D middle name thing.

Yes that's what I'm referring to. Not that's not 'pretty early on'. That's hundreds of chapters deep in.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Katt posted:

Well, we could be they buffed Usopp so no.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes that's what I'm referring to. Not that's not 'pretty early on'. That's hundreds of chapters deep in.

Luffy's dad makes an appearance in chapter 100. Granted it isn't fully explained who he is in his initial appearance. The manga does make it pretty clear he is a big deal though.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Usopp just jumped on an unconscious fishman and smashed his head in with a loving hammer until he died. Usopp is a psycho.

Until this Usopp has been almost comically useless to the latest villain of the week.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Katt posted:

Usopp just jumped on an unconscious fishman and smashed his head in with a loving hammer until he died. Usopp is a psycho.

Until this Usopp has been almost comically useless to the latest villain of the week.

That part is one of the best character bits with Usopp. He finally learned to conquer his fear in order to stand up and do the right thing. It owns :zoro:

Junpei Hyde posted:

One Piece is good

:yeah:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Goku's only actually died twice but he does a lot of things like letting people assume he died when namek exploded so he can have off screen space adventures and learn to teleport.

But yeah DBZ's revolving door afterlife has led to the series resorting to the stakes being the total destruction of entire universes at this point (kinda hampered by the new planet sized balls that can wish universes back into existence though).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

On the topic of mystery plots and wrapping things up, I feel like Disco Elysium handled this pretty well. The mystery is compelling and drives the main plot along but is ultimately kind of ancillary to everything else that's going on. The real meat of the story is this absolute disaster of a human being trying and/or failing to put his life back together again, and the mystery serves as the catalyst that sets him down that path and ultimately drives him onwards.

Spoilers for the ending, don't read unless you've played DE (which you really should by the way): I feel like the ending kind of reflects this setup, where the culprit is ultimately dealt with in the end rather quickly and without much hassle. The real climax of the plot is the phasmid encounter right after that, where it basically reaffirms the detectives existence and life up to that point.

yeah i haven't gotten there yet though i know some of the broad strokes. my question is, i know a lot of the game is symbolism for his life but does the game actually happen? or is there some cycles of guilt type deal and all of it is a dream/purgatory/etc?

Mr Phillby posted:

Goku's only actually died twice but he does a lot of things like letting people assume he died when namek exploded so he can have off screen space adventures and learn to teleport.

But yeah DBZ's revolving door afterlife has led to the series resorting to the stakes being the total destruction of entire universes at this point (kinda hampered by the new planet sized balls that can wish universes back into existence though).

dbz is weird because its confirmed there is an afterlife and its not even that bad outside hell. like sure your die horribly from some monster came from space or from the future or whatever because they want to fight the really strong intellectually disabled monkey king alien manchild who is earths protector and his friends, but then you go to super heaven.

Junpei Hyde posted:

One Piece is good

i assume you can watch the uncensored anime easy online?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i haven't gotten there yet though i know some of the broad strokes. my question is, i know a lot of the game is symbolism for his life but does the game actually happen? or is there some cycles of guilt type deal and all of it is a dream/purgatory/etc?
The game definitely all happened. The only exceptions are dreams and some skill check visions, and even those are usually flashbacks through your amnesia or your character having a sense of what does regularly happen in different parts of the city even if the specific example isn't happening right now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Upcoming: Foldable Human's essay

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1381018746915942401?s=20

Side: Jenny still on has her Twitter game on

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1381019053096009732?s=20

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Shyrka posted:

I wish they'd remake Death Note but with Light killing billionaires instead of criminals.
what do you mean "instead of"?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I saw this Tweet show up on my Twitter and had to comment on how two of these three look like huge weirdos, and if someone showed me those three people and asked me which one should be producer on my huge important project, I wouldn't choose the two guys obviously trying too hard to impress me with how much nerd poo poo they own

And I say this with zero knowledge about who these three are and 100% certainty. :colbert:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dapper_Swindler posted:

dbz is weird because its confirmed there is an afterlife and its not even that bad outside hell. like sure your die horribly from some monster came from space or from the future or whatever because they want to fight the really strong intellectually disabled monkey king alien manchild who is earths protector and his friends, but then you go to super heaven.

I don't think super heaven survives when lord Zenu blinks your universe out of existence though which sucks for everyone born since the beginning of time in the goku black bad future timeline.

Like I'm pretty sure theres an afterlife for each universe right, Goku got bored of fighting the strongest dead people in our universe before getting into universal tournaments iirc?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i am always amused by the hate of kennedy. its like yeah i think they made a bunch of mistakes but nerds have to blame the evil women for it or some poo poo. also i like her desk and decorations. having some nerd poo poo and books and poo poo is fine but doing to much makes it cluttered and gross. plus she probably isnt a sex monster.

Terrible Opinions posted:

The game definitely all happened. The only exceptions are dreams and some skill check visions, and even those are usually flashbacks through your amnesia or your character having a sense of what does regularly happen in different parts of the city even if the specific example isn't happening right now.

ok thanks. because i always get weirdly annoyed with "but actually none of it happened because it was all symbolism or some poo poo". i mean i love eraserhead and weird poo poo but no.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Katt posted:

Good loving luck finding a Captain Olimar or Shadow of the Colossus protagonist in an anime these days.

Gone are the days where you watch a teenager get bounced around a room and his arms broken trying to fight a grown man. Now everyone's gotta be at least as durable as Casshern.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DoctorWhat posted:

the reason light kills criminals is because his dad is a cop
yeah light's narcissism, moral posturing, and belief that he can control society are a direct result of his upbringing as the son of police chief and pampered model student.
him being a piece of poo poo is supposed to be revealing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Kennedy is the only one that has a professional looking office, of the 3, knowing nothing else, I'd go with her over the two overgrown manchildren.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assume you can watch the uncensored anime easy online?

Yeah it's on crunchyroll/Funimation.

But also holy poo poo the anime pacing gets so bad so I would rec the manga instead

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Unless you're Giorno

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Unless you're Giorno

Yeah it owns. The villain's like 'This is the day you die, Jojo! My Stand cannot be stopped once it dives into a mirro-' And then Giorno reaches into the mirror and snaps their neck and tells everyone else that the problem's solved and let's keep moving before we get attacked again.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Left field question probably more for CD. Since Disney bought out FOX, is there anything made by FOX that was once easy to find now suddenly vanished since the buyout?

I remember reading about how for theatres that did screenings of Die Hard for Christmas for example, They suddenly could not do those screenings since Disney shut down the department that set those up.

CONTENT: May talks about Terry Gillium's Tideland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy6TK3njrRU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah it owns. The villain's like 'This is the day you die, Jojo! My Stand cannot be stopped once it dives into a mirro-' And then Giorno reaches into the mirror and snaps their neck and tells everyone else that the problem's solved and let's keep moving before we get attacked again.

It kinda sucks and the part 5 ending made me super mad lmao

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Unless you're Giorno

There's definitely a reason I specified Joestars there :haw:

(the actual reason is because i kinda fell off past part 3 and my faves are still 1 and 2 but i'm not gonna let that stop me in this instance)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

There's definitely a reason I specified Joestars there :haw:

He's technically a joestar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Left field question probably more for CD. Since Disney bought out FOX, is there anything made by FOX that was once easy to find now suddenly vanished since the buyout?

I remember reading about how for theatres that did screenings of Die Hard for Christmas for example, They suddenly could not do those screenings since Disney shut down the department that set those up.

CONTENT: May talks about Terry Gillium's Tideland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy6TK3njrRU

HBO had a deal with Fox before the merger and it won't expire until 2022, so it will probably be a bit before films start disappearing (assuming that happens).