Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

He's technically a joestar

wait what

i really hope netflix gets the dub for parts 4 and 5 before part 6 happens, the aforementioned falling out of the series past part 3 has left gaps in my knowledge that i kinda want to fill in but also :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

wait what

i really hope netflix gets the dub for parts 4 and 5 before part 6 happens, the aforementioned falling out of the series past part 3 has left gaps in my knowledge that i kinda want to fill in but also :effort:

Dio had Johnathan's body, no?

E: yeah the part 4 and 5 dubs are (mostly) good

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Endorph posted:

nah, plenty of long running stuff is good. there's stuff you can only really do with longform storytelling.

What examples would you put forward as shining examples of long-form storytelling? I'm always interested in finding more of them that don't gently caress up later on in the run.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=513890944

Spek posted:

I like the anyone can die gimmick. Not only does it increase suspense but, more importantly imo, it helps sidestep the issue with long running stories where the writers have done everything they can think of doing with a character as we cycle through a new cast relatively often. I'd like to see that sort of thing more, and in more genres, honestly, doesn't need to be dying the characters could leave for other reasons. Like maybe a college comedy where no one is staying for more than 3 or 4 seasons add a few new characters every season, retire a few characters every season. Would help keep things fresh longterm and avoid the situation where the writers run out of things to do with the cast so eventually every character has had a romance with every other character or the like.

Of course in GoT's case it created the problem where the plot armour coalescing around the remaining original cast like Arya, Tyrion, Jon, and Daenerys ended up being all the more obvious and jarring because of it's contrast to the earlier seasons.

Also, the new characters GRRM made for books four and five were almost always boring.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Dio had Johnathan's body, no?

E: yeah the part 4 and 5 dubs are (mostly) good

I wish we had a Duwang dub.

What a beautiful Duwang. (chew) I get a feeling so complicated thinking about it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

oh right, duh, brain fart

Though, relating to internet reviewers and jojo, did anyone ever get hold of/review the infamous part one movie? I remember being super excited about it a billion years ago but it seems like every effort has gone in to wiping it off the face of the planet.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I wish we had a Duwang dub.

What a beautiful Duwang. (chew) I get a feeling so complicated thinking about it.

Kira's VA at least gave us this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KjeKvo-aAk

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

oh right, duh, brain fart

Though, relating to internet reviewers and jojo, did anyone ever get hold of/review the infamous part one movie? I remember being super excited about it a billion years ago but it seems like every effort has gone in to wiping it off the face of the planet.

Nope, people have tried to hunt it down but at this point barring someone who worked on it anonymously leaking it, I don't think it's gonna see the light of day again.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Iirc the most that exists publically is like 7 minutes of a workprint

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Jolyne is the Jojo who has to clever her way through all her fights more than any of the other Jojos since her Stand isn't as physically strong as the others and it doesn't have some bullshit OP power like stopping time or trapping you in an infinite death loop.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Yeah Araki really only gets better at protagonist stands past Giorno. (I have not read Jojolion please don't yell at me if I'm wrong)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jotaro is kinda bullshit even before time fuckery tbh

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Jolyne is the Jojo who has to clever her way through all her fights more than any of the other Jojos since her Stand isn't as physically strong as the others and it doesn't have some bullshit OP power like stopping time or trapping you in an infinite death loop.

I mean, aside from Joseph as far as Stands go.

Araki looked at Yuyu Fungami and was like 'Hmm, he's not even strong enough to break a paper shredder apart with his Stand. That gives me some ideas about prison. And Society.

GRAVITY

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Katt posted:

Yes but it looks like the units were screwed up a bit. The village pays up 25 million. 100.000 per person every month.

It made me wonder if the original had them gather something like 250.000 per month or whatever but it got jumbled in the translation.
The entire point was to provide an incentive for nami to work for him with an attainable, possible goal, and if she ever actually got it, just weasel it out from under her somehow to keep her under his "employ" perpetually. The price being so cheap meant she would actually try to get it rather than go "well that's impossible to attain".

Katt posted:

Usopp just jumped on an unconscious fishman and smashed his head in with a loving hammer until he died. Usopp is a psycho.

Until this Usopp has been almost comically useless to the latest villain of the week.
Usopp is my favorite character in one piece besides luffy. I kinda wish they had stuck with his changed design for the time skip(big fatty) instead of Ripped Badass Usopp, though I don't entirely hate that design either.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah it's on crunchyroll/Funimation.

But also holy poo poo the anime pacing gets so bad so I would rec the manga instead
Watch One Pace

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

WHo wants to learn about a Webcomic that makes 50 Shades of Grey seem like a sane romance story that I may or may not have enjoyed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujmgqNyZ190

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am always amused by the hate of kennedy. its like yeah i think they made a bunch of mistakes but nerds have to blame the evil women for it or some poo poo. also i like her desk and decorations. having some nerd poo poo and books and poo poo is fine but doing to much makes it cluttered and gross. plus she probably isnt a sex monster.

Hmm yes, what could the person that co-founded Amblin Entertainment and was involved in all of the Indiana Jones movies, the Back to the Future trilogy, Poltergeist, Jurassic Park, ET and The Sixth Sense possibly know about popular entertainment.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

The entire point was to provide an incentive for nami to work for him with an attainable, possible goal, and if she ever actually got it, just weasel it out from under her somehow to keep her under his "employ" perpetually. The price being so cheap meant she would actually try to get it rather than go "well that's impossible to attain".

Usopp is my favorite character in one piece besides luffy. I kinda wish they had stuck with his changed design for the time skip(big fatty) instead of Ripped Badass Usopp, though I don't entirely hate that design either.

Watch One Pace

I would but iirc it's sub only

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Subs rule, dubs drool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Solitair posted:

What examples would you put forward as shining examples of long-form storytelling? I'm always interested in finding more of them that don't gently caress up later on in the run.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=513890944

Also, the new characters GRRM made for books four and five were almost always boring.

i will give season 8 one thing. the episode before battle of Winterfell is solid and it would have been alot of better if more of them died especially the folks i liked. or the battle had been actually well done. plus there version of jenny of oldstone was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCnEJYds1iA

Just imagine how impactful this song would have been if Podrick died. Imagine if everyone sitting in this room died.

Vagabundo posted:

Hmm yes, what could the person that co-founded Amblin Entertainment and was involved in all of the Indiana Jones movies, the Back to the Future trilogy, Poltergeist, Jurassic Park, ET and The Sixth Sense possibly know about popular entertainment.

hey, i said she was fine and good. wasnt her fault disney didnt come up with a through line for the new movies.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Subs rule, dubs drool.

Banned

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Captain Invictus posted:

I liked every crew members' pre-time skip design more than the new ones they got. I liked the simplicity of them.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

nami didn't have a set pre-time skip design beyond short hair so I don't mind hers at least.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hey, i said she was fine and good. wasnt her fault disney didnt come up with a through line for the new movies.

Well, yeah. I was just highlighting an example of how the crybaby nerds are full of poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They’re just movies. She doesn’t deserve seething hatred of idiots.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Good loving luck finding a Captain Olimar or Shadow of the Colossus protagonist in an anime these days.

Gone are the days where you watch a teenager get bounced around a room and his arms broken trying to fight a grown man. Now everyone's gotta be at least as durable as Casshern.

Anime can have a lot of secondary characters that I like a lot for this reason. Like Usopp and Seras Victoria. The problem is that these characters often stay useless until they become overpowered instead.

There was a Hellsing TV show and at the end when Alucard was at the moment of truth against the big bad villain. Seras is injured and Alucard completely carved up by some runes and he needs her to get a magazine for his gun so he can finish off the bad guy.

She tries but she fails and then he uses mind powers to collect the magazine, finish off the bad guy and save the day.

I would pay through the nose for a series that was just early series Seras Victoria investigating overpowered vampire lords causing problems and then defeating them by sneaking into their castle and using various tricks and devices to kill them and clear up the mess.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Katt posted:

Anime can have a lot of secondary characters that I like a lot for this reason. Like Usopp and Seras Victoria. The problem is that these characters often stay useless until they become overpowered instead.

There was a Hellsing TV show and at the end when Alucard was at the moment of truth against the big bad villain. Seras is injured and Alucard completely carved up by some runes and he needs her to get a magazine for his gun so he can finish off the bad guy.

She tries but she fails and then he uses mind powers to collect the magazine, finish off the bad guy and save the day.

I would pay through the nose for a series that was just early series Seras Victoria investigating overpowered vampire lords causing problems and then defeating them by sneaking into their castle and using various tricks and devices to kill them and clear up the mess.

You understand that Seras is effectively the protagonist of the Hellsing manga, right

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

You understand that Seras is effectively the protagonist of the Hellsing manga, right

I suppose in the same way that Scully is the protagonist in X-Files :v:

Still practically every single villain is Seras failing to defeat them and Alucard coming to the rescue.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know about that. Namis treasure hoard was something like 3 cubic meters of gold, jewels and money. Which was somehow comparable to the surplus wealth that Arlong could take from a small peasant village over 4 months.

Nami was consistently stealing enormous treasure hoards from very wealthy pirates. Yet together it all amounted to less than what a small village can produce in surplus over 4 months.

What sums were used in the original manga?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Katt posted:

I suppose in the same way that Scully is the protagonist in X-Files :v:

Still practically every single villain is Seras failing to defeat them and Alucard coming to the rescue.

Have you not actually read the manga past the Brazil arc? Because that's patently untrue.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you not actually read the manga past the Brazil arc? Because that's patently untrue.

No I just watched the shows.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Solitair posted:

Octopus Pie.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Vagabundo posted:

Subs rule, dubs drool.

https://twitter.com/yugiohtas/status/973714701191299072

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Junpei Hyde posted:

Unless you're Giorno

Really even Giorno still has to get through some of them only after a lot of difficulty, like Mista has to outright die and Giorno gets busted up against Ghiaccio/White Album, it's just that Giorno gets the most swiss army knife stand in the series which gets to roll back all the damage so much of Passione takes, as long as he gets to them in a prompt timeframe.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 11, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Junpei Hyde posted:

It kinda sucks and the part 5 ending made me super mad lmao

I feel like part 5 is the most hit or miss, I'm really looking forward to part 6. It has some of my favorite jojo moments, and seeing it in whatever art style they choose to go for with the anime will be great, because imo it came out at a really rough point in the manga visually speaking.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I feel like part 5 is the most hit or miss, I'm really looking forward to part 6. It has some of my favorite jojo moments, and seeing it in whatever art style they choose to go for with the anime will be great, because imo it came out at a really rough point in the manga visually speaking.

Same. Part 5 anime fixed a lot of the issues the manga had, and brought a fantastic style of it's own. If we get a similar approach to 6, which it looks like we're getting, then it's going to be a good time.

My hopes for the outro is "Heaven is a place on Earth" by Belinda Carlisle, and for the original JoJo theme to start playing right at the end when Emporio hold up the CD, in the exact same way as when Joseph holds up the jewel when fighting Kars.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

We need Virtual Insanity in there somewhere.

Nuebot posted:

I feel like part 5 is the most hit or miss

Funny enough Vento Aureo was and probably still is the most popular part in japan. Stardust Crusaders is of course the worldwide favorite, but it's neat how certain places popped a lot more for this or that part.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BigRed0427 posted:

WHo wants to learn about a Webcomic that makes 50 Shades of Grey seem like a sane romance story that I may or may not have enjoyed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujmgqNyZ190

I can't click the link at the moment (I'm not at home) but I'm going to hazard a guess and say that this video is about Killing Stalking.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

JordanKai posted:

I can't click the link at the moment (I'm not at home) but I'm going to hazard a guess and say that this video is about Killing Stalking.

Correct.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gwen posted:

nami didn't have a set pre-time skip design beyond short hair so I don't mind hers at least.

Honestly even that's a little annoying to me because now all of Oda's women are 'long hair stylized hourglass figure.' Robin's more irritating, though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i dont like the company oda keeps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Nuebot posted:

I feel like part 5 is the most hit or miss,

Part of that might be because a worse-than-Duwang level translation was all we got for the longest time. With that said, Part 5 never really clicked for me the same way part 4 did, even after we finally did get a better translation. I certainly wouldn't call it bad or even sub-par, there's lots of really good stuff sprinkled in there (multiple consecutive multi-page spreads of Giornio beating someone to death, Notorious B.I.G., everything to do with Mista and Sex Pistols), but I never really connected with Gio the same way I did with Josuke or Joseph.

Also that explanation for where stands and the arrow come from was just odd, like Araki typed it up in 5 minutes to fill out some panels and then immediately forgot about it.

Edit: I will always maintain that Part 6 is the most buckwild surreal JoJo ever gets. It also feels the most "meta" overall, like parts of it are directly commenting on the series itself.

"Hey, what's the weakest stand?"
"Haha what kind of loving stupid question is that?"

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 11, 2021