Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sarcopenia posted:

Hazel has a new video out. This one is on Digimon Tamers.
Hazel-"The Lasting Appeal of Digimon Tamers"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpNhfck9F28

Tamers holds up extremely well, it’s way better than it has any business being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

JordanKai posted:

People will really say "media doesn't affect reality" as if Antonin Scalia didn't openly base his jurisprudence on 24 and other television series.

(This will always be my go-to example because it's so wild)

I don't think media affects reality. Instead, it reflects the cultural reality of the times it was created in, and the values of its creators.

24 didn't make Antonin Scalia into a fascist conservative rear end in a top hat, because he already was one. He used 24 as a reference because the values of the show reflected his own values, so he thought it was a useful point of reference.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

He'd always be a fascist but 24 is what gave it the specific form of torture black sites thinking it would provide useful information. That quote is not an isolated thing, Republicans really believed 24 was how real life War on Terror stuff worked.

We also have a whole generation of Democrat consultant class people who think the West Wing is how real government works.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

He'd always be a fascist but 24 is what gave it the specific form of torture black sites thinking it would provide useful information. That quote is not an isolated thing, Republicans really believed 24 was how real life War on Terror stuff worked.

We also have a whole generation of Democrat consultant class people who think the West Wing is how real government works.

We had already been torturing people and signing off on even worse acts for years. We used torturers because meatheads that beat on people are way cheaper than professional interrogators.

(Professional Interrogators are their own special flavor of evil, but I don't really want to get into that)

What Republicans, what most Americans believed was that the enemies of America should be forced to feel the fear and humiliation that was inflicted on them during 9-11. They wanted blood and punishment. 24, which would have probably been considered a quirky novelty if it had been released in the 90's (A show whose entire season takes place in an entire day, what a crazy concept!), but since it was released shortly after 9-11, the idea of a man like Jack Bauer doing whatever it took to keep Americans safe greatly appealed to the America's wounded subconsious, so it became a very popular show. So popular, it was referenced by members of the Bush Administration.

It was the same thing with the West Wing. The Third Way Democratic Establishment loved being flattered. so they promoted the show. Americans wanted to believe that the Clinton Administration wasn't a mistake, so they bought into it too.

Anyway, I think Kyle Kalgreen had a video essay he released a few years ago that better explains this phenomenon than my ramblings.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

media affects reality because it reflects the cultural reality in which it was made. scalia may have chosen 24 because it reflected his values in the broad strokes or even some of the finer ones, but as he did not create 24 it is not his own reflection he's staring at - it's someone else's, and in that vision there are different values, different ideas, presented which are adjacent to the ones he already holds. media is a mirror that does not reflect you, it reflects and multiplies those on the other side of it and seeks to replace your face with its own. media is a trojan horse disguised as your taste filled with ideas from somewhere else ready to tumble out come nightfall.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

And who is responsible for that Trojan horse? Is it some hack from Los Angeles, or is it The State?

I worry that many people nowadays think it's the hack from Los Angeles.

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 13, 2021

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Clip-On Fedora posted:

And who is responsible for that Trojan horse? Is it some hack from Los Angeles, or is it The State?

I worry that many people nowadays think it's the hack from Los Angeles.
are you suggesting that the series twenty-four starring kiefer sutherland was state propaganda?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

The first comment I found is Hbomb's, from when he was just a poster.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The funny thing about 24 though is that Jack, outside of the first season, has a largely miserable existence. Like, he thinks about killing himself multiple times. And it's not as though the show romanticised it like some good cop on the edge media, it was explicitly that this job has made him a husk of a man and everyone else is either dead, a traitor or had the clarity to complete distance themselves from Jack and the job.

Granted, the show doesn't really *explore* that too much, but it's there.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Some seasons still do lean a little too much on the 'we have to torture him now or we wont get the information we need' angle.
Plus Jack Bauer almost being literally cursed to have everyone around him die just so he can stay motivated to keep going.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

DeafNote posted:

Some seasons still do lean a little too much on the 'we have to torture him now or we wont get the information we need' angle.
Plus Jack Bauer almost being literally cursed to have everyone around him die just so he can stay motivated to keep going.

Well yeah of course. After a certain point it just becomes a device. Ticking clock, someone has information, Jack needs it or people die, what can Jack do to get it. Ah I know, threaten or torture them. It's been a *long* time since I've seen it but while it can be flippant about it's use, it tried to justify it within the narrative.

But also, it's an inherently pulpy show, it was never prestige TV. Playing fast and loose with that sort of thing is part of the deal. 24 isn't pro or against torture because I don't think it has a real stance on it, or anything for that matter. For a show that was supposed to be hoo-rah America, I don't even know that it likes America all that much.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The what-influences-what question is always going to be a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Culture and media do influence each other to a certain extent, but it’s a complicated relationship and the nuance tends to get lost once people start blaming a trend in one category on something going on in the other. That’s how you get ridiculous scapegoating like parents blaming their kids’ bad behavior on rock music, or rap, or violent video games or whatever they’re going after these days.

Personally I think culture influences media far more than the other way round. Popular media like 24 and other big-budget tv shows and movies are funded and produced by people who study cultural trends and make an effort to appeal to what people already like; reflecting culture is a huge part of their business model. On the other hand, only a tiny fraction of media produced ever becomes well-known enough to enter the public consciousness, and even less of that sticks around for more than a few years.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

are you suggesting that the series twenty-four starring kiefer sutherland was state propaganda?

Gasp!

Oh my god! I think that the series twenty-four starring kieffer sutherland might have been state propaganda!

It makes so much sense!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Swell Entertainment looks at how the Omegaverse is all over Tik Tok: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sthxFNBc2w

She says the stories have dubious consent and I would almost bet somebody in her comments pushes up their anime glasses and says 'um HACKTUALLY it's called 'dubcon.'

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The 7th Guest posted:

i watched this last night and the biggest problem for me is that it is a monorail that covers a tiny stretch of park and has a 130 minute wait time. they should have gone full people mover and had it be just a regular monorail with a bunch of cars going around the full park, gone simpler on the screen to save money (or maybe even just have a non-interactive screen on it). and still have a couple of little enclosed areas for fun, but then it's not like "this is meant to be the highlight of the experience" and instead "this is a people mover with a couple of neat moments"

like that enclosed space had such poor scale for a set piece. they should have had way larger screens for windows, because they're too far from the track. and the room needed more decoration, and there needed to be a little more to the area in general, at least two more rooms surrounding it

biggest thing about a themed sit down park ride is managing to build a world that a person is just happening to briefly inhabit.... but this has no world to it outside of the ride queue video and voices piped into the car

One of the big problems looks like they either couldn't decided or straight up couldn't commit to the ride fully being either a people mover or dark ride. If it was a people mover then the ride have needed to go around a larger area, yeah, and if it was a dark ride it would need to be more fully enclosed so it could be in the, you know, dark. A people mover lets people admire the park and you can pipe in some audio or have some visual elements but as all those video clips show, anything involving screens or lights or trying to have thematic elements is completely annihilated by being outside, in the bright sun, and with all the park activity around you reminding you that you're not in the ocean. A dark ride is darkened and enclosed for a very obvious reason: you need to be able to control every aspect of the environment to make it immersive.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
All this 24 talk and no Jon Bois?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Never a bad time to post Jon Bois.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
He is Pretty Good after all.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SkeletonHero posted:

All this 24 talk and no Jon Bois?

no no, scroll up stupid!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Swell Entertainment looks at how the Omegaverse is all over Tik Tok: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sthxFNBc2w

She says the stories have dubious consent and I would almost bet somebody in her comments pushes up their anime glasses and says 'um HACKTUALLY it's called 'dubcon.'

Dubcon '96 is where I met Skankin' Pickle.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Augus posted:

no no, scroll up stupid!

To be fair, in this thread clicking youtube links dropped without explanation can lead to months of recommendation poisoning for the Ben Shapiroverse, so wouldn't have assumed it was for Pretty Good except the text matched the link I was about to post the link myself.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

stillvisions posted:

To be fair, in this thread clicking youtube links dropped without explanation can lead to months of recommendation poisoning for the Ben Shapiroverse, so wouldn't have assumed it was for Pretty Good except the text matched the link I was about to post the link myself.

It doesn't just show up as an embedded video for you?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You can choose to turn that off. (Also wouldn't be surprised if mobile options do something similar by default.)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I grabbed some chrome extension that shows the video title when you hover over a youtube link specifically because of this thread.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

do people have something against embedded videos or what

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Augus posted:

For me its about the element of surprise.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Augus posted:

I didnt even know you could turn on embed videos. It was turned off by default for me.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
I have embeds turned off since I browse at work.

All I can say is I'm sorry to have disappointed all my fans and I promise to do better moving forward.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the jon bois talk made me want to rewatch the ufc documentary he did with felix biederman, fighting in the age of loneliness and it’s still really loving good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DoaUyMGPWI

also if you’re into this i’d highly recommend adam mckay’s podcast death at the wing

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm still mad the poker Pretty Good is still MIA from the internet.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm still mad the poker Pretty Good is still MIA from the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDt90EyZnWA

There's a few mirrors still, it Episode 4 that appears to be genuinely lost.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Schwarzwald posted:

It doesn't just show up as an embedded video for you?

...weird, I had no idea that was an option. I've never set it, and I've never browsed SA on mobile, must have been a default at some point in time I guess?

watho posted:

the jon bois talk made me want to rewatch the ufc documentary he did with felix biederman, fighting in the age of loneliness and it’s still really loving good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DoaUyMGPWI

also if you’re into this i’d highly recommend adam mckay’s podcast death at the wing

I'm always partial to his Lonnie Smith story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTM_eN8AZeQ

His audio levels are a bit shaky but drat if this isn't a masterclass in how to tell a story, even if you don't care about baseball.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah pretty good is ingenious storytelling. it just sucks that the audio balance is worse than todd in the shadows

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I wish there were more Pretty Goods, but then I wish there was more Jon Bois in general. The man's a genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4AhABManTw

This one will always be my favourite, that ending's genuinely emotional.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 13, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Those episodes are pretty old by now, the stuff he occasionally does for Secret Base (formerly SB Nation) are better.

Also the best Pretty Good is clearly a tie between Larry Walters and Randall Cunningham.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Jon Bois is good at what he does that he got to me watch, and be interested in, a nearly four hour retrospective on the history of the Seattle Mariners. I don't mind sparser Bois appearances when we do get is just straight up gold even if it doesn't seem like it.

Also the real best Pretty Good is the bodybuilding forum's days in a week thread.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

The Seattle Mariners series is absolutely amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the bodybuilding.com one is terrific but it loses points for me because it’s such a widely discussed topic