Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s absolutely a sexual fetish. Even though I don’t understand the content, I can recognize the form from a lifetime wasted on the internet, where I’ve seen fetishes I don’t understand since I was 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Even the joke ones feel very unwholesome to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okqbL9ZZQaM

EDIT: This is a joke one.

is this not wholesome to you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXijnxOylOE

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As someone who has ADHD and is also on the spectrum, a specific range of ASMR videos out there really do either help me relax or focus. Basically anything involving textured items, repetitive stim-y sounds, that kind of thing. But unsurprisingly some of the more common ones you're likely to find all involve women in low cut tops whispering sweet nothings into a microphone. Who can possibly say why. :iiam:

That or

Dawgstar posted:

I remember seeing one ASMR video called 'Relaxing School Lice Inspection.' The first word has little business around the other three.

You will see the phrase "cranial nerve exam" a LOT if you search for ASMR videos. That one I genuinely have no idea why.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

John Murdoch posted:

You will see the phrase "cranial nerve exam" a LOT if you search for ASMR videos. That one I genuinely have no idea why.

A video genre explicitly created to cause a sensation along the scalp having a subgenre about the human head doesn't seem like a mystery imo.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

John Murdoch posted:

Who can possibly say why. :iiam:

:wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uOPGkEJ56Q

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Finally one for the gamers

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
ASMR elicits similar feelings to to the graphs often used in Jon Bois videos; They are often nonsensical and perhaps unnecessary, but it provides a surreal kind of enjotment.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Speaking of gamers, Curio released a video on cyberpunk (the genre) and Cyberpunk (the sorta-game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_SzMP-V4mA

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bakeneko posted:

I’d say it’s because people are more likely to share negative opinions in general (since it’s cathartic to vent about something that annoys you) and this is also likely to provoke negativity in people who read them and disagree. So you have a feedback loop where everyone is pissing everyone else off, causing more people to join in and both escalating and lengthening the discussion.

Also because people don't give a gently caress about positive opinions. Like, I've written passionate essays about how much I like certain things (like gundam) and how good I think they are and why, and generally speaking? Most people just don't give a gently caress unless they, too, like that thing and are invested in knowing why you, a stranger, also like that thing. And even if people do also like that thing, conversations tend to grow somewhat limited. Once you've said you like the thing, and other people confirm that they like thing, like the same things you do and also like this other thing. That's basically it. That's the whole conversation. The exact same people who've complained that I'm "too negative" in certain communities, will never say a single word or engage when I'm not being negative because no one pays attention when the good vibes are flowing, they might as well not exist.

But if you say something negative, even if it's something as banal as "I didn't like popular thing" it drives people into an absolute fury. How can you not like the popular thing. And god help you if you dislike the popular thing for reasons and can accurately voice those reasons because that only makes people madder and madder which drives the conversation on further and further. People will try to prove you wrong, or more likely just keep coming back to tell you why you're an idiot for not liking popular thing; they almost never let that poo poo go, when eyes just slide off of positive opinions about how much you like other things. So on a sheer engagement level, one negative remark will pretty much always see more return than a positive one; especially when people get so blind about the good things said they'll outright ignore them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJX4ytfqw6k

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Didnt even need to click to know what this is.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nice of him to sum up this thread

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ButterSkeleton posted:

ASMR I think is one of those things that either just works or it doesn't. There's no real learning it

yeah. i have had it happen but its never been from a video.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There are plenty of positive opinions that will spark conversation, watch: Star Wars prequels? Pretty good. Even better than Dark Souls 2.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 15, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Motto posted:

There are plenty of positive opinions that will spark conversation, watch: Star Wars prequels? Pretty good. Even better than Dark Souls 2.

I think the ST has made people realize what the had with the PT.

Then again, I'm a lifelong Metal Gear Solid 2 fan and anybody active in the MGS fandom in the 2000s knows that game was reviled pretty much everywhere. Then something happened around 2011-2014 and people realized "holy this, that game was amazing."

I bring it up because in both cases people are quick to say it's less that folks came around to the PT or MGS2 being good and more just that the haters all wandered off.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Then again, I'm a lifelong Metal Gear Solid 2 fan and anybody active in the MGS fandom in the 2000s knows that game was reviled pretty much everywhere. Then something happened around 2011-2014 and people realized "holy this, that game was amazing."

It does leave a terrible impression on the first go round if you loved MGS1.

How's Raiden is supposed to be the audience stand in when everyone playing thought "It's your anniversary, dumbass,"

The overly drawn out and numerous Columbo mysteries of Ocelot's loyalties,

All things you want to be doing, from chasing Liquid to succeeding at anything are happening off screen, you're left always hoping you'll cut back to playing as Solid.

When you have the whole picture going back in it works brilliantly. If you were hoping for the same enjoyment on every level including the surface, like in the first it's irksome.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 15, 2021

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

MGS2 was the last great mgs because after that they started abandoning the survival horror like structure which made it work so well. And the series really should've ended with 4, while the sequels and spin-offs might be interesting to play they add nothing and probably remove a lot of interesting stuff from the narrative. Didn't help that they also upped the creep factor a lot, except oddly(not really)for Survive which toned it down significantly.

Hel fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 15, 2021

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Hel posted:

MGS2 was the last great mgs because after that they started abandoning the survival horror like structure which made it work so well. And the series really should've ended with 4, while the sequels and spin-offs might be interesting to play they add nothing and probably remove a lot of interesting stuff from the narrative. Didn't help that they also upped the creep factor a lot, except oddly(not really)for Survive which toned it down significantly.

counterpoint: revengeance

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hel posted:

Extremely bad take, MGS3 massively rules and so does Rising.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Peace Walker was really good, too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hel posted:

I would let 3 exist but your point is spot on. Pretty much no MGS game after 3 had any reason to exist and they contributed nothing to the narrative or characters.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Peace Walker introduced Hot Coldman so it stays.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and naked sauna wrestling

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Any Metal Gear take that denies Revengeance, the greatest Character Action game ever made, is automatically invalid.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Phantom Pain while a real hacked up final product sadly, was also super good to play anyway. Really what I'm most sad about is you can bet there was probably an idea for Peace Walker-like co-op in there too, like you can already play your MSF/DD dudes, being able to have the host still be Boss with a buddy as one of their soldiers would've been the most fun poo poo.

Also MGS4 had it's problems but man, to say it contributed nothing to characters feels insane to me, Snake dealing with the rapid ills from getting old-old, Raiden's entire makeover, Sunny getting any moments instead of just being Olga's daughter saved off-screen by Raiden, BIG MOMMA, the old man battle as they start slowly losing steam, capping off Zero and so on.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 15, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
None of those games have a Whoa HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO in them. It doesn't count for much, but it's something.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its hosed up that the worst metal gear game, Portable Ops, has the best song

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
MGS4 is Hideo Kojima's Wacky Delly. MGS5 is his Mount Rushmore-esque bowl-of-fruit sculpture.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

NikkolasKing posted:

I would let 3 exist but your point is spot on. Pretty much no MGS game after 3 had any reason to exist and they contributed nothing to the narrative or characters.

That's why I said it should've ended with four. Because 3 is important and 4 is basically sufficient ending. But PW and the fives just muddles or brings down what interesting narrative bits there are. Having the 3 support team turn bad, old and leave their plans to AI is much interesting than introducing XOF and having them be put of the picture for decades. And creating a fake big boss to make him into a hero just kind of sucks, just imply he survived being burned with a fake death pill and recovered over the decades, if you have human cloning in the seventies full body skin grafts decades later isn't too out there. Doesn't help that a lot of MGSVs plot point and setpieces are ripped from 4, though when your overarching theme is repetition maybe that's ok.

Yes, Revengence is a good CAG but it brings nothing to the MGS series. And funnily enough I almost believe Konami loving them over on deadlines is part of the reason it's that good. Because they got the core stuff working but didn't have time to put in the Platinum standard game ruining segments, even the mandatory afterburner/ shmup section is only like 30 seconds rather than 15 minutes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alaois posted:

its hosed up that the worst metal gear game, Portable Ops, has the best song

No diss to Calling to the Night but it has nothing on Heaven's Divide or the Love Deterrence acoustic version.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I’ve never played any metal gear game. Now what, motherfuckers? :smug:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Vagabundo posted:

I’ve never played any metal gear game. Now what, motherfuckers? :smug:

Good on you, they really aren't worth getting into unless you already are a fan.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I’m a nanny machine, boy!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

3, revengeance, and parts of 4 may be good (and 3 is definitely an incredible game) but 2 is definitely the last time Kojima really gave a poo poo about saying something broader than the genre he was working in. Everything past 3 is basically just unraveling and building on the games themselves rather than using the games as a springboard to talk about something else the way that 2 really just dug into concepts of identity and information and metatext.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Neo_Crimson posted:

Any Metal Gear take that denies Revengeance, the greatest Character Action game ever made, is automatically invalid.
the way revengeance uses music is something every game should aspire to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzw3pR6-bO8&hd=1

Not only is it exceptionally solid music throughout, but when the climactic moments happen, the lyrics kick in, and the lyrics are always about the ideology of or a statement about the foe you're facing. it's real fuckin' good and one of the best uses of an incredible soundtrack ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOlR4o6WgA4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYAPgPH9hsI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rj8HVW3PQ

the story is also great, and the finale is legendary

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
4 is a mixed bag for me but ultimately I'm glad it exists if for no other reason than it provides a pretty definitive capstone to the series plot so Kojima getting axed and Konami turning the IP into a pachinko machine or whatever doesn't quite sting as much as it otherwise would have.

I'd say pretty much everything from "BANG" onward is pretty great but man do you have to slog through Some poo poo to get there. The first like two-thirds or so of the game feel more like a really slow paced CoD than MGS.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

3, revengeance, and parts of 4 may be good (and 3 is definitely an incredible game) but 2 is definitely the last time Kojima really gave a poo poo about saying something broader than the genre he was working in. Everything past 3 is basically just unraveling and building on the games themselves rather than using the games as a springboard to talk about something else the way that 2 really just dug into concepts of identity and information and metatext.

I disagree. I think that 4 trips people up because it is definitely Kojima at his most blatant, on the nose commentary (and yes I'm including Quiet in this category) that they miss out on what he was trying to do with 5 and ultimately couldn't accomplish. While MGS4 was being worked on Kojima was also directing Peace Walker because he felt that the younger studio devs needed some guidance on what he was going for. I think it shows because Peace Walker is definitely definitely game that feels like Kojima had his heart set on at the time rather than Guns of the Patriots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o7UlO5VShQ

Futuresound Productions has a video out on how Peace Walker through Phantom Pain can really all be considered part of "Metal Gear Solid V" because of their development and shared themes. MGS2 is about acknowledging the lies of our existence and rejecting them to make our own choices. MGSV as three games is about how hoping for a better existence can't happen and the illusion of peace shatters in the face of cruel reality. Even though Peace Walker is an upbeat game it and GZ and Phantom Pain are all incredibly cynical in a way the other games aren't.

Snake Eater is the last gasp of the imagined "good old days" ushering in the new era. Metal Gear 1, 2, MGS1, MGS2 and to some extent Portable Ops are about the people who refuse to accept the new world for what it is and fight to change it. 4 is about the new world finally gaining closure as soldiers learn how to live without war.

PW, GZ and TPP are therefore about how such an awful, awful world is created and manipulated by monsters that are all in service to an industrial machine that grinds innocents into dust and makes protectors into demons for the sake of power and profit. Mass victimization and self delusion all feeding into the same war economy that only serves to perpetuate further pain.

I'm not saying it hits the mark entirely but I don't think it's fair to write off everything pose MGS3 as "Kojima just didn't care." because he definitely did.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

No diss to Calling to the Night but it has nothing on Heaven's Divide or the Love Deterrence acoustic version.

no, its better than both of those songs actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I would agree Kojima totally cared. But he's not a good enough writer to connect loads of dots that were never meant to be connected. This is one reason I think the series should have ended with 3, because 2 was supposed to be the final game and then 3. Snake Eater has pretty much nothing to do with 2, a fact which earned it a lot of good will back in the day. But the point is, 2 left the series on a cliffhanger with many open-ended questions and then 3 went back in time to avoid giving answers. But fans bullied Kojima into making 4, into giving answers to questions that he never had answers to. Kojima can't go one game without retconning a significant detail, now watch him try to connect many different games in a cohesive manner . It's not pretty or satisfying.