Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean my point wasn’t that they are the same personally. But for some reason I don’t understand every time Musk cuts a corner and falls on his face....he gets richer. So it’s not impossible for someone to fail and gain popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m assuming your implying that because people talk about him that must mean he’s good but that’s not how it works. Failing upward is a thing just look at Elon Musk and Tesla. A car company that doesn’t produce cars but is wildly successful.

Nah, I'm just poking fun at the quoted post's jab. I'm not implying he's good or bad in that post. To responsd to you, though, he makes films that do well at the box office that are divisive among critics, that's not failing upwards. "I don't like his films" does "he makes terrible films" equate not, which is what you're implying here.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's because critics like to talk about directors with distinct direction style, and they also like talking about things that are culturally current. Due to the Snydercut stuff, he is both. Regardless of quality of his direction you can tell Snyder made something when watching it. Same way people like to talk about Rob Zombie in horror circles a lot even though there are very few people who consider him a great. He has a unique style and he always has a new movie.
I doubt Synder directly profited from his father owning slaves the way Musk did.

Yeah, I agree.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh I’m not implying it he makes terrible films I will state that

It’s why I don’t care about the Snyder cut it will be bad so who cares

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bakeneko posted:

That's one of the points Legal Eagle brought up. He doubts the lawsuit is going to go very far because, regardless of how sketchy it was, everything they did was covered by their TOS.

aren't terms of service supposed to be really weak bindings that essentially get thrown out if they brush up against other laws? thought i heard that somewhere

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Jimbot posted:

It does seem like a lot of youtube critics hang their income on producing hot takes on the guy and his works. For such a mediocre director people sure talk about him more than any other director, past and present.

To be fair this Snydercut stuff is fairly unprecedented, plus his work crosses over a lot of different points of interest. Superhero films are the most popular genre right now, and he, for better or worse, has been at the centre of that discourse for seven years.

Plus, for whatever reason no other film maker has a fan base like him. People can write a hot take on Scorcese, Tarantino or Spielberg and not have remotely the same hordes descend upon them. Nolan perhaps could inspire slightly similar fervour and I do not think it's a coincidence that both Snyder and Nolan have been attached to the same comic book hero "brand" .

The idea that someone making a critical video of Snyder's oeuvre is an out and out attack that requires harassment as a justifiable response is completely batshit and definetly is an outgrowth from intense nerd circles.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

At one time Wedon had a similar fanbase but he has burned all of his good will.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Karloff posted:

To be fair this Snydercut stuff is fairly unprecedented, plus his work crosses over a lot of different points of interest. Superhero films are the most popular genre right now, and he, for better or worse, has been at the centre of that discourse for seven years.

Plus, for whatever reason no other film maker has a fan base like him. People can write a hot take on Scorcese, Tarantino or Spielberg and not have remotely the same hordes descend upon them. Nolan perhaps could inspire slightly similar fervour and I do not think it's a coincidence that both Snyder and Nolan have been attached to the same comic book hero "brand" .

The idea that someone making a critical video of Snyder's oeuvre is an out and out attack that requires harassment as a justifiable response is completely batshit and definetly is an outgrowth from intense nerd circles.

Yeah, I've posted on it before but he's a lightning rod for people to jump in at a whim and people need to take a step back with the defense and attacks. Take Ted Cruz's tweets on Watchman: people were using those to assuming Snyder's political positions and other nonsense. The extreme's the man brings out in people is just one of those relics of the ongoing "culture war" poo poo.

Also, you know, social media being a mistake.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 3, 2021

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Both sides. Somethin somethin gonna cancel my boy Zacho.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CYBEReris posted:

aren't terms of service supposed to be really weak bindings that essentially get thrown out if they brush up against other laws? thought i heard that somewhere

Buried within the newest 500 page .1 font ToS agreement: Also at any time we can just come to your house and steal your furniture, poo poo in your sink and also shave your eyebrows completely off whenever we want

But also yes, a lot of ToS nonsense can get thrown out super easy, because it's become a thing in some places that essentially "If you hide some wormy or nefarious poo poo within your ten trillion word essay that nobody on the face of the earth is going to read, just get the hell out of here" but it's hit and miss or it's very come and go I guess.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

I can only go by what Legal Eagle said, but it does appear to count as a binding contract in this case. When you register with Robinhood you explicitly give them permission to restrict access to their services. I would guess most banks and other institutions that deal with people's money have similar terms in place, because I know a bank can just decide to close your account for any reason if they want to.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

At one time Wedon had a similar fanbase but he has burned all of his good will.

It is a little strange to see all that enthusiasm instantly vanish without some attempt to rehabilitate him, but it probably helped that some of the rabid defense of him was against the charge that his feminism seemed insincere. Even before his wife wrote that letter and dumped him, his career seemed kind of aimless. It's possible the walls were closing in from decades of sexual exploitation and he was no longer able to make tv shows about lithe pretty teens getting repeatedly brutalized anyway.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Karloff posted:

Maybe no single film maker, but you do see this with other nerd brands. It wasn't much more than a year ago that Scorcese caught flak for calling the MCU movies "theme parks," for example. The Disney Star Wars films are another giant hullabaloo, too.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

No ones forcing you to watch the movie man's youtube videos dude. The big bad movie critic can't hurt you. I promise

No one is forcing anyone to watch movie mans directors cut film either, and yet the incessant whining about the audacity of hack snyder to make a four r-rated film about superheroes would absolutely imply otherwise.

Karloff posted:

Making a critical video is one thing. Accusing him of using his films to spread fascist/islamophobic/xenophobic ideals is quite another. The reason a lot of his fans are hypersensitive to criticism is because that "criticism" has been at times utterly divorced from reality, and at worst it's been real loving gross. Comic book writers and media "journalists" cheering him stepping down from a capefilm because of a personal family tragedy is gross af, and not even a weak ago there was an article talking about how difficult it was for Snyder during that time and how he didn't have the energy to fight the studio about whatever changes they wanted to make on the movie, and the editor in chief to collider posted a laughing gif in response to it. There's also the lovely habit of dismissing his fans as alt-right male MAGA sexists, which is interesting because his fanbase has tons of people who are either queer, PoC, women, muslim or a variation of the above. And yet, these voices are the first to be dismissed whenever a critic comes out with an absurd statement like "They let the dude who made the islamo/homophobic film Dawn of the dead direct a Superman film".

Like, the whole "He's making Randian propaganda" nonsense actually spawned from a hatchet job from known sex pest and all around terrible shitstain Devin Faraci. He wrote an article about Zack wanting to adapt the Founainhead and how this means he's actually an objectivist and clearly that means his films are all pushing an objectivist agenda, and this was ground zero for the "He's a randian" takes. People saw the article, uncritically parroted it and now it's a "fact" that's tossed around to dismiss either his work or him as terrible.

The amount of vitriol he and his fans get is absolutely insane, and his fans have become extremely defensive accordingly. People just assume these fans sprung fully insane from Zacks forehead fully armed with flamethrowers, when this is the consequences of the hot take driven click bait culture of social media and youtubers constantly demonizing him (and his fans) for the better part of a decade

McCloud fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 3, 2021

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Cool, cool. So again, Zack's fans, and the fans we're talking about in this moment, are harassing a Youtuber for making a video about good and bad ways to do r-rated superhero movies. All to defend the honor of a movie they haven't seen yet.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Won't someone think of the director

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even Groenig's other shows have evolved considerably. Futurama quietly just let Fry and Leela be in a healthy relationship in the latter seasons rather than dragging out the will-they-won't they thing, and Disenchantment is fairly hit-or-miss but at least trying to go somewhere with a larger arching story.

yeah, i was gonna bring that up too. futurama actually has overarching "arcs" at times. simpsons just kinda goes on and on unchanging.

poo poo i guess its time for the zack derail. i'll leave you all too it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
No, quick, maybe Disenchantment can pull us out of this. I feel it's a fine show but also a sign that Groening isn't evolving, since it's already surpassed by competitors like Final Space.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It is a little strange to see all that enthusiasm instantly vanish without some attempt to rehabilitate him, but it probably helped that some of the rabid defense of him was against the charge that his feminism seemed insincere. Even before his wife wrote that letter and dumped him, his career seemed kind of aimless. It's possible the walls were closing in from decades of sexual exploitation and he was no longer able to make tv shows about lithe pretty teens getting repeatedly brutalized anyway.

I think a lot of what did it was that Wonder Woman script. I mean, it's the ur-Strong Female Protagonist comic book movie that Whedon was born to write! What could go wrong? Well, everything in that it mostly seemed to be about Steve Trevor being super horny for Wonder Woman by which I mean Josh being super horny for Wonder Woman and then you look back at his wife's letter and everything else and you see a lot of cracks in the earlier foundation. Even when Dr. Horrible's thing dropped people were like 'hey, wait, the feminist guy made a thing where the woman is a possession but it wasn't ironic and she actually had agency' but they decided it must have been a fluke.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Cool, cool. So again, Zack's fans, and the fans we're talking about in this moment, are harassing a Youtuber for making a video about good and bad ways to do r-rated superhero movies. All to defend the honor of a movie they haven't seen yet.

Look he clearly deserves the harassment for threatening to maybe make a video in the future about why they didn't like the movie, which makes him exactly the same as the people that are harassing him, the hypocrite.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Look he clearly deserves the harassment for threatening to maybe make a video in the future about why they didn't like the movie, which makes him exactly the same as the people that are harassing him, the hypocrite.

Would have been much easier to just pretend he was making death threats, really.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I think a lot of what did it was that Wonder Woman script. I mean, it's the ur-Strong Female Protagonist comic book movie that Whedon was born to write! What could go wrong? Well, everything in that it mostly seemed to be about Steve Trevor being super horny for Wonder Woman by which I mean Josh being super horny for Wonder Woman and then you look back at his wife's letter and everything else and you see a lot of cracks in the earlier foundation. Even when Dr. Horrible's thing dropped people were like 'hey, wait, the feminist guy made a thing where the woman is a possession but it wasn't ironic and she actually had agency' but they decided it must have been a fluke.

There's also the increasing prominence of situations where it's ok or even really good to buy sex and in fact it's being sold by charming and urbane women who are also invested in the emotional development of nerdy men who benefit positively, even when the show is about a brothel where people are turned into zombies and catalogued like equipment. I know sci-fi and weird horny go together like space and lasers, but there's some big telling-on-yourself energy in there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

McCloud posted:

Like, the whole "He's making Randian propaganda" nonsense actually spawned from a hatchet job from known sex pest and all around terrible shitstain Devin Faraci. He wrote an article about Zack wanting to adapt the Founainhead and how this means he's actually an objectivist and clearly that means his films are all pushing an objectivist agenda, and this was ground zero for the "He's a randian" takes. People saw the article, uncritically parroted it and now it's a "fact" that's tossed around to dismiss either his work or him as terrible.

Do you have actual data to back up a completely loving lunatic statement like "Everyone who ever said they saw objectivist ideological parallels in Zack Snyder's movies is a mindless NPC and puppet to a sexual predator"? Because that sounds like the same kind of sweeping absurdist caricature you're saying is unjust to apply to people who like Zack Snyder's movies.

McCloud posted:

The amount of vitriol he and his fans get is absolutely insane, and his fans have become extremely defensive accordingly. People just assume these fans sprung fully insane from Zacks forehead fully armed with flamethrowers, when this is the consequences of the hot take driven click bait culture of social media and youtubers constantly demonizing him (and his fans) for the better part of a decade

loving get over yourself. Everyone gets called either a fascist or an SJW for the most benign things on the internet. You know you're not a fascist and you're in no danger of being harmed for liking the movie's one guy directs. Nobody with a functioning brain is going to use that as a litmus test to jail you or blacklist you or any other poo poo. Everything you post is the most overblown melodramatics bordering on framing Snyder fans as a genuinely persecuted IRL minority. If someone here calls you a brownshirt or some poo poo, laugh at them like the idiot they are and move on.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
all I'm saying is that if you told me joss whedon made sucker punch itd make perfect sense to me

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

lol

"I would appreciate it if people stopped insinuating I'm a nazi for liking a Superman movie"

"Get over yourself and welcome to the real world, sweaty"

I am a trans woman, a lesbian, and a communist. Sorry I don't have the energy to laugh off people accusing me of having heinous politics over superhero movies.

Edit - Also, that is an insane misreading of McCloud's point. McCloud wasn't claiming that everybody who thought "Zack Snyder is an objectivist" is a sex pest, but that the guy who wrote it specifically was.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Signing on to direct The Fountainhead is more than enough grounds to suspect someone maybe at least a bit sympathetic to the philosophy of Ayn Rand, even if they're not a full on believer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1357039513596399618

#1 pro gamer Jenny is wise.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Roth posted:

lol

"I would appreciate it if people stopped insinuating I'm a nazi for liking a Superman movie"

I am a trans woman, a lesbian, and a communist. Sorry I don't have the energy to laugh off people accusing me of having heinous politics over superhero movies.

That is not what I mean at all, but I'd love to see where anyone insinuates you're a nazi for liking a Superman movie. I'd also love to see why it's appropriate to imply everyone who says there Objectivist implications in Snyder movies is an unthinking drone/enabler of a sexual predator, while we're at it. Both those seem pretty loving poo poo and I'm not clear on why one gets a pass and the other doesn't to you.

Dumbasses on the internet applying inappropriate, politically charged labels happens in every twitter thread or youtube comments. You could tab away from when calling you a nazi to one calling you a pinko for making the same anti-capitalist readings of Man of Steel, I'm sure. Why does any of that matter? These aren't people with platforms, they're not people who can smear or cancel you or lobby to have you removed from some spaces online or IRL for Snyder-liking. They're painful anonymous internet exchanges, certainly, but they're not ones you need to engage with or that you need to weave into a wider narrative about the injustice or unfair treatment of Snyder-liking.

I will say I don't recall any moment in Maggie Mae Fish's nor Patrick H Willems videos where they called Snyder fans fascists or nazis, since those are the two people who keep being cited here. Curio's video was much more directed at analyzing Snyder's movies from an Objectivist perspective, and I don't recall her saying that either. Are there some other videos or news publications where this is happening? Where certain critical readings of Snyder are being conflated with the whole entire mass of his fans on an ideological level? I'd be fine with looking at those and calling them poo poo, too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That's pretty scathing when you remember how many Star Wars videos she makes every year.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Karloff posted:

Signing on to direct The Fountainhead is more than enough grounds to suspect someone maybe at least a bit sympathetic to the philosophy of Ayn Rand, even if they're not a full on believer.

This is the most jerk-off-motionable post anyone has made in this entire thread, which is a genuine achievement

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think the over focus on Snyder's fans/haters is obscuring a larger problem, that being how major internet platforms (twitter and youtube especially) promote and thrive off of outrage.

The Snyderverse films, Star Wars Sequels, and the like aren't any more contentious (or malicious) than the Prequels or Matrix sequels or whatever were in the 00's. But instead of today's modern virtual ecosystem, back then you just had the gamefaq's forums or livejournal or whatever.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

All this ongoing bab just proves to me even the Snychophants think the JL remake is gonna blow rear end.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

This is the most jerk-off-motionable post anyone has made in this entire thread, which is a genuine achievement

If I decide to devote three years of my life to adapting someone's novel, there might be a chance I like that author's work. Stop being a turbo nerd and taking every criticism of him, no matter how mild, as a personal attack.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 3, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Karloff posted:

But enough about Oliver Stone

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nuns with Guns posted:

That is not what I mean at all, but I'd love to see where anyone insinuates you're a nazi for liking a Superman movie. I'd also love to see why it's appropriate to imply everyone who says there Objectivist implications in Snyder movies is an unthinking drone/enabler of a sexual predator, while we're at it. Both those seem pretty loving poo poo and I'm not clear on why one gets a pass and the other doesn't to you.

That's an insane misreading of McCloud's post. He wasn't claiming everyone thought that, but that the guy who wrote the initial article was a sex pest, and that people should stop uncritically parroting it as fact.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Karloff posted:

Stop being a turbo nerd and taking every criticism of him, no matter how mild, as a personal attack.

You’re literally calling snyder a crypto-nazi and implying everyone who likes his movies one also, you crossed the line into personal attacks a long time ago, get the gently caress over yourself.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Jesus christ CD makes this thread loving garbage when they wander in.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

When have I ever said that people who like his films are Nazis. Don't loving dare give me that poo poo! I like the marvel films, and people attack them for their militarism all the time, but I don't poo poo myself because I know they're attacking the FILMS, not ME, why don't you get that!? Why is one okay, and not the other?

Karloff fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 3, 2021

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
"snyder spending a lot of time directing an adaptation of ayns rand work might mean he has sympathetic views towards her work"

"oh what so you're calling me a nazi???"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why'd he make Steppenwolf look worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Roth posted:

lol

Edit - Also, that is an insane misreading of McCloud's point. McCloud wasn't claiming that everybody who thought "Zack Snyder is an objectivist" is a sex pest, but that the guy who wrote it specifically was.

You're consistently one of the stupidest posters in this thread.