Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

They're fronting like this Marques bloke is single-handedly killing the company but I watched his review yesterday and he was talking about the AI learning to use apps, and he casually mentioned banking apps as an example and it's like loving pardon?? You don't think it's worth expanding on that? Maybe he thinks it speaks for itself

Giving AI access to your finances is a great idea.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/customers-say-metas-ad-buying-ai-blows-through-budgets-in-a-matter-of-hours/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Runa posted:

I've never read the books but I got the impression the ideas of the final season could've worked there but the show had been on a downswing for a while and fumbled the ball on doing the basic narrative footwork to deliver them.

Ironically, playing the more obvious surface narratives straight and just delivering on that front would've had the show ending, if not memorably, then at least decently. But because the show was just so bad by that point, using what I presume to be GRRM's ideas for his original planned ending felt to most of the audience like, to put it unflatteringly, plot twists for the sake of plot twists. Rather than, what was probably intended to be a convincingly cynical ending like what I imagine it would be in any theoretical future books.

Basically, the show could've ended mid and left people wanting the "real" ending via the novels but they chose to destroy the IP instead.

There's a pretty big missing section of the books (there's a whole other army that claims to be lead by a Targaryen and actually successfully invades before Dany) which that presumed to be what tips Dany over the edge in GRRM's never-to-be-written version

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol the sand snake subplot in GoT

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the Cardmarket folks play a Magic deck against a Pokemon deck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpCHohxwvPY&hd=1

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Jauwn covers another crypto card game that has earned about ~120 million dollars in VC funding + crypto card sales and has had about 5000 players ever.
Jesus Christ what a world.
Embed seems to be blocked for some reason - "Worst NFT Game Ever? | Parallel TCG Gameplay and Review"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HamjXDC8Qhc

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Jauwn will never again reach the height of that time he helped the Red Eclipse people take control of the stolen NFT game. Where do you even go from there?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think a editor with a strong hand could have pushed him through that though. The later books get stuck in that mud and a decent editor could have pushed back before they were published and got him to make a solid plan.

I don’t know if an editor in particular could help push him through that. Maybe anyone else he could bounce ideas off of would be useful? But I don’t know what George’s writing process was like either. I don’t think the state of the book series is unsolvable. It’s more like Stephen King’s Dark Tower books where at this point so much time has passed that it’s practically a different person writing them anyway and that’s going to change a lot.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's a pretty big missing section of the books (there's a whole other army that claims to be lead by a Targaryen and actually successfully invades before Dany) which that presumed to be what tips Dany over the edge in GRRM's never-to-be-written version

Yeah there’s this whole side issue that isn’t discussed as much with the books where book 3 sweeps a ton of the major players off the field and wipes out significant POV characters. Books 4 and 5 were slow bulding up new POVs and related factions who will probably be vital to driving interesting drama and shift the established POV characters’ motivations, and the TV series either cut those plots entirely or killed off everyone involved and made the whole thing a narrative dead end.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 1, 2024

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The funny thing is GRRM posts all the time about how he’s written more words than ever each year, which I’m convinced he says at this point just to frustrate fans.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember - I think it was - Neil Gaiman saying "George Martin is not your bitch" back when people were acting much more entitled to having the next book right now but today I genuinely don't know anybody who still really cares and I know a lot of folks who dug the books.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh yeah I completely forgot about Faegon, that was a massive sideplot to cut considering how much it was obviously going to screw with Dany's head.

There's also stuff like the Jeyne Poole being propped up as a fake Arya to solidify the Bolton's rule (cut so Sansa could become a rape victim, thanks D&D!) Mance surviving his execution and becoming an undercover asset for Jon (which means less Ciarán Hinds, an unforgivable crime) Euron Greyjoy actually being an insane outside scope threat who's dabbling in straight up Cthulhu magic and has likely found a way to bend Dany's dragons to his will (changed to him being a stereotypical pirate blowhard who's whole character motivation is "I want to gently caress the queen") the list just goes on and on. And it's not even like any of this was excised to make way for better plots because what we got in its place was like, the sand snakes.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Dawgstar posted:

I remember - I think it was - Neil Gaiman saying "George Martin is not your bitch" back when people were acting much more entitled to having the next book right now but today I genuinely don't know anybody who still really cares and I know a lot of folks who dug the books.

I used to work with someone who was extremely offended by Gaiman saying this.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

If the remaining books came out I'd be excited to read them, but it's pretty obvious that they're never coming out.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

CaptainRat posted:

I used to work with someone who was extremely offended by Gaiman saying this.

Was it John Romero

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Sydin posted:

And it's not even like any of this was excised to make way for better plots because what we got in its place was like, the sand snakes.

I genuinely love that they spent so much of their budget filming in Spain, and they spent so long getting permission to use the Alhambra gardens as a location that they had to justify it by having ~1/3 of a season shot in one courtyard, and in the end all they had to show for it was "you love the bad poosi" and two scenes in the next season that basically amount to "we're not shooting here again" and "we're not seeing these characters again". really wish I could have witnessed D&D bring that kind of energy to their confederate fantasy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People have since switched over to waiting until GRRM dies and someone else can finish them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

GRRM can't die, he's powered by Bayonne Sludge, he's basically a Muk in a human costume

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
They forgot about the iron fleet

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sydin posted:

Oh yeah I completely forgot about Faegon, that was a massive sideplot to cut considering how much it was obviously going to screw with Dany's head.

There's also stuff like the Jeyne Poole being propped up as a fake Arya to solidify the Bolton's rule (cut so Sansa could become a rape victim, thanks D&D!) Mance surviving his execution and becoming an undercover asset for Jon (which means less Ciarán Hinds, an unforgivable crime) Euron Greyjoy actually being an insane outside scope threat who's dabbling in straight up Cthulhu magic and has likely found a way to bend Dany's dragons to his will (changed to him being a stereotypical pirate blowhard who's whole character motivation is "I want to gently caress the queen") the list just goes on and on. And it's not even like any of this was excised to make way for better plots because what we got in its place was like, the sand snakes.

Yeah those plus obliterating the whole House Dorne who included two new POV characters and who were just winding up to make a big revenge power play when you run out of books. And whatever crazy poo poo was going to happen with Zombie Cat/Lady Stoneheart. And House Manderly were being set up as the guys who come in from the north at the last minute with a steel chair (making baby Rickon Stark matter at all lol.) It was basically another 5 seasons worth of plot but there was no plan to stick to and everyone was offering big sacks of money to the showrunners to do more projects so rip.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 1, 2024

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sydin posted:

They cut out virtually all the North remembers stuff so on the show it's like nobody cares that the Red Wedding occurred. It falls in line with the show going from being more about the politics of the society to the personal which culminates in Arya personally killing the Freys rather than Manderly and other loyalists chipping away at the Freys. I think Lindsay Ellis discussed it in one of her videos about the show but it's a huge reason why the show fell off a cliff after season 4 despite reviewing very well until the final season. I remember being excited for the first time in awhile when Cersei blew up the sept because surely that would be her undoing as the political consequences come crashing down on her head but it turned out it'd just be some rocks much later and the Lannisters are somehow unbeatable until the very end.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 1, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And they cut out Vary's merman subplot

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
New Jon Bois documentary about the history of the Reform Party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqqaW1LrMTY

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

D'Angelo Wallace on... someone I've never heard of but will watch anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9dQJJfLZmo

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So if I’m reading this correctly Facebook’s pivot to AI hype has resulted in a computer program that advertisers can use to give as much of their money to Facebook as possible, as fast as possible? You know, it is pretty astounding how the “enshittification” hypothesis continues to be proven more and more convincingly.

Oh by the way, the creator of that term wrote an excellent article about it somewhat recently. It was very enlightening for me. Check it out.

quote:

Fifty per cent of web users are running ad blockers. Zero per cent of app users are running ad blockers, because adding a blocker to an app requires that you first remove its encryption, and that’s a felony. (Jay Freeman, the American businessman and engineer, calls this “felony contempt of business-model”.)

So when someone in a boardroom says, “Let’s make our ads 20 per cent more obnoxious and get a 2 per cent revenue increase,” no one objects that this might prompt users to google, “How do I block ads?” After all, the answer is, you can’t. Indeed, it’s more likely that someone in that boardroom will say, “Let’s make our ads 100 per cent more obnoxious and get a 10 per cent revenue increase.” (This is why every company wants you to install an app instead of using its website.)

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
My favourite asoiaf book is Elden Ring.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It is kind of funny the current last chapter in the books is Dany just making GBS threads in a field.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bobjr posted:

It is kind of funny the current last chapter in the books is Dany just making GBS threads in a field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Ariong posted:

So if I’m reading this correctly Facebook’s pivot to AI hype has resulted in a computer program that advertisers can use to give as much of their money to Facebook as possible, as fast as possible? You know, it is pretty astounding how the “enshittification” hypothesis continues to be proven more and more convincingly.

Oh by the way, the creator of that term wrote an excellent article about it somewhat recently. It was very enlightening for me. Check it out.

I'm gonna be honest: Speaking from experience a not insignificant percentage the people who run Facebook Ads are terminally lazy and kind of sketchy. Digital advertising is already set up that it doesn't require a lot of investment after you've initially set it up, so it's kind of a magnet for the type of person who salivates at the mention of "passive income".

bobjr posted:

It's times like these I'm glad I got invested in Joe Abercrombie instead...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm six books in and six behind. Abercrombie has a work ethic and he finishes his stories.

I gave up on Sanderson because his work was too bloated, sexless, and mechanical for my taste.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I gave up on Sanderson because his work was too bloated, sexless, and mechanical for my taste.

It was so funny when his fans got mad at that article written by a guy who spent some days with him and came away thinking Sanderson was a great big nothing.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I'm six books in and six behind. Abercrombie has a work ethic and he finishes his stories.

Sanderson is a very odd duck in that his work feels like the product of a writer who doesn't actually want to be a novelist. I've enjoyed the work of his that I've read thus far, but it feels like it adheres way too strictly to the standard screenwriter's 3/4/5 act structure which, coupled with his frequently awkward, workmanlike prose, really gives the impression he'd prefer to be a screenwriter. I find it can be frustrating trying to discuss the shortcomings of his prose with his more diehard fans because they always fall back to a concept he discusses in interviews about his work being "window pane" prose as opposed to "stained glass" prose which presents the very weird idea that prose is some kind of impediment to storytelling? It also seems to try to deflect from his shortcomings by presenting prose as this binary between overwrought and the clunky minimalism Sanderson trafficks in, which doesn't really hold up, in my estimation, because there are a number of other authors out there who write very clear, minimalist, to-the-point prose without falling into the pitfalls Sanderson does. What I will grant him is that his writing works really well for action scenes, it just tends to fall apart whenever he has to write anything involving human emotion or conversation. Overall I think a lot of his problems as a writer are the result of him rushing through the later stages of the process to maintain his ridiculous output rate, and he'd would really benefit from slowing the gently caress down and focusing more on editing his first drafts.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

if Sanderson wrote tabletop modules or worked on Baldurs Gate 4 I think he'd be great, but I cannot understand why he has fans otherwise.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

if Sanderson wrote tabletop modules or worked on Baldurs Gate 4 I think he'd be great, but I cannot understand why he has fans otherwise.

whenever i hear people praise his books "the magic system" always comes up, which tells me everything i need to know about why people like his books

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was so funny when his fans got mad at that article written by a guy who spent some days with him and came away thinking Sanderson was a great big nothing.

Don't leave me hanging. Link?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

Given the way I've seen them talk about his work and respond to criticisms of his prose, I get the impression a not insignificant portion of his fanbase aren't the most well-read overall. Like whenever the workmanlike nature of his prose comes up there's almost always at least one fan who seems to think "good prose" means "purple prose". His writing also has a very "YA" vibe to it and often goes out of its way to explicitly state things that would often be left as subtext in other fantasy works, which probably helps to make the books more accessible to people who are turned away from more challenging reads.

On the more positive end of the spectrum - I think he legitimately has some very interesting ideas in the worldbuilding and cosmology of his work (Though I do think he has some issues as a worldbuilder from an execution standpoint) and, as I said earlier, his writing really shines during action scenes.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
he should go harder on mormon parallels

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think you are misrepresenting the tone and contents of that article lol. it was bizarre, seething contempt at the guy for not being interesting enough. serious "bitch eating crackers" syndrome

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Don't leave me hanging. Link?

https://www.wired.com/story/brandon-sanderson-is-your-god/

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I read a couple of his books and they didn't do much of anything for me. He could afford to cut the length of his books in half. It's not as bad as Jordan's bloated books but you do feel their length.

To switch gears, does anyone remember which Best of the Worst episode where they watch a video from that gun nut that destroyed a car with a M2 Browning machine gun? I remember getting a real good laugh out of that episode and I need something like that today.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Farg posted:

i think you are misrepresenting the tone and contents of that article lol. it was bizarre, seething contempt at the guy for not being interesting enough. serious "bitch eating crackers" syndrome

It's interesting that someone so ridiculously successful is a great big nothing. I love hating so the article was good.

I don't doubt the article writer is jealous of his success I would be if writing was my job. I'm jealous he can write so quickly regardless of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KingKalamari posted:

Sanderson is a very odd duck in that his work feels like the product of a writer who doesn't actually want to be a novelist. I've enjoyed the work of his that I've read thus far, but it feels like it adheres way too strictly to the standard screenwriter's 3/4/5 act structure which, coupled with his frequently awkward, workmanlike prose, really gives the impression he'd prefer to be a screenwriter. I find it can be frustrating trying to discuss the shortcomings of his prose with his more diehard fans because they always fall back to a concept he discusses in interviews about his work being "window pane" prose as opposed to "stained glass" prose which presents the very weird idea that prose is some kind of impediment to storytelling? It also seems to try to deflect from his shortcomings by presenting prose as this binary between overwrought and the clunky minimalism Sanderson trafficks in, which doesn't really hold up, in my estimation, because there are a number of other authors out there who write very clear, minimalist, to-the-point prose without falling into the pitfalls Sanderson does. What I will grant him is that his writing works really well for action scenes, it just tends to fall apart whenever he has to write anything involving human emotion or conversation. Overall I think a lot of his problems as a writer are the result of him rushing through the later stages of the process to maintain his ridiculous output rate, and he'd would really benefit from slowing the gently caress down and focusing more on editing his first drafts.

I read Mistborn, or the first novel, and never bothered with another because even after that I couldn't tell you anything about Min as a person without using very boring adjectives like 'diligent, I guess.'

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 2, 2024