Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Have you thought about not being a dingus bobert? Hmmm??? Ever think of THAT

Ya dingus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

The first reply listed from one of those tweets:
https://twitter.com/mercadomalorte/status/1327845612432355328

And from what you said earlier:

i think my issue with the reply is she can't admit she had a bad take or some poo poo and has to use the "ITS NOT A BOYS CLUB FUCKERS" as a defense which feels hyperbolic.

like i agree with her overall point but it fells stupidly angry and deflective. after a while her twitter game comes of like this. its not a great analogy because of monster dickheads in the comments but you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnRt_JEoBRU

that being said Gina being a giant crazy chud is a bigger story than overated lib critic gets mad about dumb nerd poo poo and other nerds get mad about that too.

Katt posted:

I get the impression that he doesn't realize that all those friends were imagined. But rather that they were real and were all taken from him.

Has he done any introspection at all?

dudes trapped in high school. alot of his stupid actions remind me somewhat of myself in high school and community college but i grew up(mostly). so no, probably not. i see myself and people i know in bob, so its always weird watching him implode.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 18, 2020

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Quinton Reviews has a new video on that weird era of Cartoon Network where they tried to rebrand with live action shows.

https://youtu.be/q32vMHoj4kI

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Quinton Reviews has a new video on that weird era of Cartoon Network where they tried to rebrand with live action shows.

https://youtu.be/q32vMHoj4kI

didnt they try to do that again like in 2011 or something but than they pickd up again with titans/gumball/Steven universe/etc.

edit: ok this is what it was thinking of.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 18, 2020

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Lord Hypnostache posted:

SovietWomble, mostly known for his amusing random bullshittery gameplay videos, has stepped his toes into video essays and released a three-parter on DayZ. I'm not too familiar with the game, but it's an interesting look into the development of DayZ, both the stand-alone and the original mod and how it enabled completely new genres to emerge.

You can find them here, here and here.

I never got into DayZ but this was quite interesting, thanks for sharing.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

didnt they try to do that again like in 2011 or something but than they pickd up again with titans/gumball/Steven universe/etc. idk

That's exactly the era the video is about.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

New Youtube terms are out

https://twitter.com/mikerugnetta/status/1329155507546976256

Basically Youtube is now going to put ads on any and all videos they want and if you aren't a Youtube Partner you won't get any cash regardless.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Garrand posted:

Basically Youtube is now going to put ads on any and all videos they want and if you aren't a Youtube Partner you won't get any cash regardless.

Makes no difference to me, been running adblock/ublock since forever. I'm actually surprised to find out that they didn't do that already.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The rare occasion I open a Youtube video on my phone where I haven't bothered to get adblocking it always plays 1-2 ads so yeah I'm also really surprised that there are Youtube channels that don't play ads

Except like personal channels with 2 - 20 view videos or whatever

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

That's exactly the era the video is about.

figured. good video. watching his other stuff now.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 19, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kamrat posted:

Makes no difference to me, been running adblock/ublock since forever.

That may not last forever though, just look at what's happening with Twitch right now. They've started making a real effort to defeat adblockers and been very successful at it over the last month or so.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

repiv posted:

That may not last forever though, just look at what's happening with Twitch right now. They've started making a real effort to defeat adblockers and been very successful at it over the last month or so.

I dunno man, filters are updated very quickly when it comes to big sites, I've never had a problem on Twitch but I might have just been lucky

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Equeen posted:

I know this has nothing to do with your post, but Gwen is a woman.

Cool, thanks, I didn't know and I generally try to use neutral pronouns if I don't.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Who could have guessed that Gwen was not a man's name

Generally that would be a safe assumption but I've known enough women with masculine names and men with feminine names that I don't feel it's especially fair to flat out assume even if, in most cases, it's going to hold true. But that's literally just me.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

In Welsh Gwyn is the typical masculine version of the fem Gwen. But anglisation of Welsh names often break all the grammar rules and change the spellings. I've encountered over 10 ways the English spell and say my name and only one of them is even close.

And lots of names swap genders outside Wales, virtually every time I've seen a character in fiction with my brothers name its always been a super sexy and seductive woman.

Tl:dr it may be a common girls name in the US, but that isn't the case everywhere.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Garrand posted:

I'm less annoyed by that and more annoyed by the high likelihood that small creators with no leverage get zero say in what their ads are for or where they go; here comes everyone having to make a point that no, we can't stop PragerU from putting ads up on our videos.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

The Welsh also call cheese on toast "rabbit"

(Ok, rarebit. Close enough. Still baffling)

ACKSHYUALLY the name of Welsh Rarebit is based in an English joke about how lol the Welsh are so stupid and poor the best they can do is cheese on toast but they'll call it rabbit.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I mean Maggie Mae Fish made her claims and presented her ideas and the logic behind them well enough, this video does exactly what you do here: It just goes "you're wrong and this is stupid" then offers an alternate take, says it's the correct one and doesn't really explain why it should be taken any more seriously than the other one other than the insisted belief that the other one is wrong with the focus on being how bad and dumb the other person is rather than why their take even is what it is.

Just to stick to the comedic Ebert line of thought, they mention that Ebert was wrong and specifically cited Ebert saying that Snyder's dawn doesn't convey satirical anti-consumerism like the original did, and their only counterpoint on that is to talk very briefly about the guy who has a bunch of guns but gets killed because zombies snuck in through a doggie door; talking about how that's a satirical take on the American military and people. Which, sure, but that's not really a shot at consumerism? Like the guy has a pretty huge chip on his shoulder that people just find faults in Snyder's work and are therefore Wrong. And he's super sarcastic and bitter throughout the whole video as a result and it makes the video less enjoyable because he can't just let his own poo poo stand, it has to be in service of some big brained correct take.

Not all opinions are created equal. As an example, MMF suggesting that Snyder agreed with the pastor and that it wasn't meant as satire because "that actually happened after 9/11" is either extremely bad faith or extremely stupid, the suggestion that satire can't reference events that have happened and recontextualize them to make a point is a galaxy brained take if I ever heard one.

As for the Ebert, his point wasn't "Snyder should have made fun of consumerism", it's "Snyders is less daring", drawing the parallel between Romeros satire (primarily against consumerism) and the lack thereof from Snyder. Gwens take on that is that Ebert missed the less obvious satire that permeated the film that's about xenophobia and bigotry. That it's not about consumerism isn't really relevant

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alpharad's having a rough one

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Insurrectionist posted:

The rare occasion I open a Youtube video on my phone where I haven't bothered to get adblocking it always plays 1-2 ads so yeah I'm also really surprised that there are Youtube channels that don't play ads

Except like personal channels with 2 - 20 view videos or whatever

I open and close videos on my phone till it doesn't give me an add, need to get that pi-hole done tbh.
Also fuckoff trading212

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

RareAcumen posted:

Alpharad's having a rough one

My favorite food is Mac n Cheese, so that doesn't sound like a problem to me! :thumbsup:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Ash Crimson posted:

Are you alright?

No, I'm not. I've been quarantined at home because a co-worker got sick, and it's thrown my schedule out of whack. Add to that a slew of other minor problems.

Jamie Faith posted:

Max, you seem to use this thread to self-harm (as we discussed many times before) so maybe just stick to lurking for a while, or maybe even just go cold turkey and remove this thread from your bookmarks until you're in a better head space, you know? :)

Take care of yourself bro :)

Thank you.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Someone posted about Shadiversity a little while ago, a youtuber I'd never heard of, so I followed the link and had a look at his stuff. He makes videos on historical weapons, with a big focus on historical accuracy in media. Interesting enough, definitely something I might watch. Oh, but I see he's also self-published a fantasy novel! Well, since he's all about medieval history, it could be quite good, so why not load up the goodreads page and look at some reviews?

quote:

The biggest issue, however, that keeps me from rating this novel higher, is the novel's constant obsession with sex and rape.

Oh.

quote:

Now, I have 2 very large issues that almost made me drop the book and get a refund on numerous occasions.

1, rampant (and awkward) sexuality and rape.

Hm.

quote:

The main character of this book is a guy named Daylen (paedophile stalin) and he was the emperor of the dawn empire (paedophile soviet union).

Uh huh...

quote:

Daylen is by far the biggest problem with the book. His characterization is super inconsistent, as he jumps from bratty teenager to world-weary veteran to cocky swordsman so quickly it gives you whiplash. The character's past is also...not handled well.

Oh dear.

quote:

Daylen's past in general is treated poorly. He's supposedly an unforgivable monster (and indeed, the things he's done would literally be unforgivable in a sane world), but his past actions are always 'justified' or mitigated by circumstances somehow, so the author can dance around the question of whether or not he's actually a monster (he is). Also, the whole 'everyone forgives him and decides to let him join the magical order of knights instead of executing him' at end was super far-fetched. People just...don't react like that. Especially not politicians. There was no reasonable end to that trial that did not see Daylen executed.

quote:

Rape as a subject was handled incredibly poorly. It wasn't explored deeply, so it might as well have just been discarded. It was superficial, awkward and even cringe-worthy. I loved the theme of fatherless children and think that Shad should've focused on that instead. It could have been done easily. Daylen could have had countless affairs instead.

Wait hang on. Hang on hang on hang on. The terribly handled rapes in this book were... committed by the protagonist?

From what I can glean off the summary and reviews, the protagonist was some awful tyrant dictator magically de-aged and made to repent for his crimes, which included the rape of teenage girls. And uhhh it doesn't seem like Shadiversity is particularly capably of handling a subject like that with much sensitivity! And because it was self-published, it hasn't gone through any rigorous editing process, meaning not only is it an incredibly poorly conceived story, it's also woefully written.

So, uh, thanks thread for putting me onto such a wonderful online creator! Maybe his actual videos are fairly normal??

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Bingo Cop Metis posted:

So, uh, thanks thread for putting me onto such a wonderful online creator! Maybe his actual videos are fairly normal??

Jesus christ literally none of that made its way into the videos of his I watched a while back, I mostly watched his videos about, like, medieval European architecture so I guess there wasn't a lot of space for "and also rapes are an easily forgivable thing to do"???

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I like learning about medieval weapons and the like, but drat if there doesn’t seem to be this gigantic overlap between folks who talk about medieval weaponry and hack fantasy fans obsessed with an idea of “realism” that always includes tons of sexual violence.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah, I used to watch that dude but banked a hard left after he made a really suspiciously out-of-nowhere Captain Marvel hate video. :sweatdrop: Didn't quite expect...this...though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I watched a few of his videos about castle design a while back and they seemed fine but that stuff is :yikes:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, I used to watch that dude but banked a hard left after he made a really suspiciously out-of-nowhere Captain Marvel hate video. :sweatdrop: Didn't quite expect...this...though.

What was the hate video about? The movie or Brie Larson poo poo? Because I really don’t like the movie at all. It’s pretty dull. It and Ant Man and The Wasp are reaaaally low on my list.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's ostensibly about the film, but the reason it was suspicious was because he didn't usually do films reviews. At absolute most, he talked about how realistic the fighting or weapons might've been in some pop culture thing or another. Then all of a sudden there's a big "CAPTAIN MARVEL IS DUMB TRASH" rant and it's like, okay? Who hurt you buddy?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

i am tim! posted:

I like learning about medieval weapons and the like, but drat if there doesn’t seem to be this gigantic overlap between folks who talk about medieval weaponry and hack fantasy fans obsessed with an idea of “realism” that always includes tons of sexual violence.

but enough about game of thrones

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's funny, because a lot of the negative reviews are actually from fans of his youtube channel, and yet even they won't defend this stuff. Impressive, really!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Bingo Cop Metis posted:

Someone posted about Shadiversity a little while ago, a youtuber I'd never heard of, so I followed the link and had a look at his stuff. He makes videos on historical weapons, with a big focus on historical accuracy in media. Interesting enough, definitely something I might watch. Oh, but I see he's also self-published a fantasy novel! Well, since he's all about medieval history, it could be quite good, so why not load up the goodreads page and look at some reviews?

Oh.

Hm.

Uh huh...

Oh dear.

Wait hang on. Hang on hang on hang on. The terribly handled rapes in this book were... committed by the protagonist?

From what I can glean off the summary and reviews, the protagonist was some awful tyrant dictator magically de-aged and made to repent for his crimes, which included the rape of teenage girls. And uhhh it doesn't seem like Shadiversity is particularly capably of handling a subject like that with much sensitivity! And because it was self-published, it hasn't gone through any rigorous editing process, meaning not only is it an incredibly poorly conceived story, it's also woefully written.

lol I actually listened to parts of the audiobook version of this by accident (was a fresh release and I needed something new to listen to.) and can vouch for the accuracy of some of those reviews. I quit listening before any of the rape scenes happened (Though there were mentions of the main characters children coming after him because he raped their mother), but its just a poorly written piece of trash that's trying to be some weird half power fantasy, half epic fantasy but fails at both. By the 5th time the main character forgot he was de-aged and started going on about THEM YOUNGIN'S I just tossed the book.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It turns out that just because you read a lot of history books and fantasy does not mean that you can actually write it. And to be honest, while I'm not defending his trashy novel, it's really not out of the ordinary for a lot of bad fantasy to get hung up depicting rape for weird reasons.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

A song of Ice and Fire not only had rape. It had rape punchlines. Driven home for comedic effect.

Like The Mountain raping some tavern keepers daughter. Then when the tavern keeper runs in and yells "my daughter is no whore!" The Mountain throws him a silver coin and goes "now she is"

Then follows up with "but she's not worth a full silver so I'll want change for that"

Or something like that :v:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

In all fairness to GRRM, that's not really him doing a rape joke for shits and giggles, that's establishing the Mountain as the biggest piece of poo poo of the planet by him doing a rape joke about the rape that he's currently doing.

Like, you can have rape happen in your stories, but you drat well better have the literary chops to be able to cover the cheque you've just written.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I feel like rape is the quick go-to to make your story SUPER DUPER SRS YOU GAIZE. And usually the writers who resort to that couldn't write a decent fortune cookie fortune, let alone a story.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Rape is also the default way lazy writers try to force you to empathize with a female character. They won't like, write her or give her a personality. "But there was rape so now you'll care about her!" seems to be a hack writing trend.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I remember in Dune. Frank Herbert made the heroes so drat pragmatic and cynical that he felt he had to make Baron Harkonnen rape and kill children just to put the scales back in order as to who the villain was.

It seemed kind of hamfisted to be honest because the Baron was good villain in his own right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A defense that's also used is that "it was like that back then" which is a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of how ancient societies worked. They had laws. Lots of people hung up on the Viking craze are all about the raping and pillaging but the British Isles had pretty extreme laws against assaulting women even when the Danelaw covered most of the east coast with Danish settlers. Sexual violence obviously happens all the loving time and it's terrible but it's not a valid defense to put it in your story "because that's what it was like back then" since it was considered just as heinous back then as it is now. It's hack writing to either make you sympathetic to a female character in lieu of giving her actual character, or it's an attempt to make an edgy story about a lawless world that doesn't represent the reality you're ostensibly drawing inspiration from.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alaois posted:

the thing i'll always associate with brentalfloss is that absolutely baffling song where he posits that Tetris is a bad game because girls like it

I always think of his song "What If Civilization Had Lyrics?" when the song (Baba Yetu) not only had lyrics (the Lord's Prayer in Swahili) but it also won a Grammy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Katt posted:

I remember in Dune. Frank Herbert made the heroes so drat pragmatic and cynical that he felt he had to make Baron Harkonnen rape and kill children just to put the scales back in order as to who the villain was.

It seemed kind of hamfisted to be honest because the Baron was good villain in his own right.

So he made him a member of the British House of Lords?