Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Queer Salutations posted:

People Make Games - Chris Bratt (of Eurogamer) and Quintin Smith (of Shut Up & Sit Down) tell the stories of the people involved in games, both developers and Gamers. "Can you really get rich in the world's only "cash-based" MMO?" is a wild watch.

People make games is really great. the closest game journalism has ever gotten to actual journalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Wasn’t breadtube just wishful thinking by internet posters writing erotic friendfiction about their favorite youtube channels? It’s true insofar as people know each other and collaborate, plus have some prominent self-declared enemies in common, but I don’t think it was ever a branding thing or some kind of deliberate effort, though I don’t really follow many of the more narrowly political communists/anarchists who don’t do scripts or jokes.

i have only ever seen people use the term in context of how dumb it is or aggro twitter people complaining about all vaguely left youtube videos

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i do not care what dan olson's opinions on violent revolution are

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Dias posted:

On one hand Dan's tweet is very lame because people have good reasons to be angry and violent towards our current power structures. On the other hand, performative antifa supersoldiers are boring as hell and my response to bloodthirsty "we should kill those motherfuckers" people tends to be...y'know, no one is stopping you. I think it's just unproductive as hell anyway, it's people jerking off over revenge fantasies instead of organizing anything because they know they won't ever have to put their rear end on the line.

Violence is a tool, not the endgame.

its an extremely lovely genre of posting

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

lol yeah did we forget that like a month ago Shuan tweeted about how people only liked Vtubers because they had mysogynistic and racist ideas about Asian women, and didn't clarify he was only talking about alt-right Vtube fans? Then when called out on it went all "Trap Sprung :smug:"?

so youre saying you misread his tweet and youre still mad about it a month later

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

just two more days of this poo poo guys and then posts will be good again

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Dire Lemming posted:

It's also worded straight out of the conservative deniable plausibility handbook. If you don't believe me try the phrases "Muslim terrorists" or "Mexican criminals" instead, they're technically specific but you know what's being said when the usual suspects say it. It's not just bigots who would react negatively, it's literally anyone who feels defensive about the topic which considering it's anime-adjacent is a lot of people. It's certainly not intentional but it is poorly worded which has been pointed out is a theme with left twitter.
so why do you give a poo poo?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUCSyIkEus

*Bruce Buffer voice*

It's TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME

I really didnt expect to be charmed by this game but I love how every single character just utterly despises the protagonist

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

please stop being a boring wet blanket for at least the next like 72 hours. you can resume after then

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

lindsay isnt a political commentator at all who gives a poo poo

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Augus posted:

starting to wonder if maybe these “breadtube” folks aren’t the vanguards of the new revolution Twitter tells me they are

who was saying breadtube was the vanguard of the revolution

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

contra has an interview out about being canceled

its bad

https://twitter.com/ifeelthewind/status/1327484731924094976

gently caress off.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its not an interview about being cancelled. most of the questions are not about that and she only mentions it because shes asked. if youre gonna insist on continuing this extremely stupid argument you should read more than the insane twitter person.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Farg posted:

partner parcel

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Archer666 posted:

"Adults shouldn't demand superhero movies be R-rated to cater to them, it should be for everyone." - The internet creator

"Remember when the first Mortal Kombat games were coming out and all the kids wanted as much blood and gore as possible" - Me, the intellectual.

People have this weird idea of kids IMO, probably because they either can't remember their childhood or have this idealized version of in their heads. Kids are monsters who enjoy over-the-top media violence and gore just as much as anyone.

his point is that when fans ask for r rated superhero movies they just want the same children's movies but with blood and superheroes, swears and women getting raped and not actual stories for adults. he's not arguing for censorship or anything. just writing thats more thoughtful like alan moore and less like the dumb poo poo that he inspired

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 25, 2020

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

hey!! SA poster reading this thread!!! do NOT start arguing about zack snyder movies. gently caress you

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

what if we deconstructed the implicit violence of sonic the hedgehog by making him carry a gun and have depression

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

seeing shadow firing his deagle at a group of soldiers is makign me question everything i thought i knew about sonic the hedgehog. this is not the sanitized power fantasy i grew up with. i am finally an adult

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

Has snyder chat ever resulted in anything of value

no

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Things is, if you're a mod for a community that size, what you really are is a Community Manager who isn't getting paid to do their job.

Which is, like, fine for unofficial fan communities, but should not be fine for any space officially under the umbrella of a media company or personality.

Edit: and to be clear, I understand why a smaller company or individual wouldn't be interested in that deal. I just don't like Olly framing it as "oh, they're more trouble than their worth cause someone always kicks off drama," as if there isn't a direct causal link between that happen and poor moderation.

i mean yeah he doesn't want to take on the burden of modding a discord or paying someone to do it properly. hes one guy who makes youtube videos

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

As I said in the post you're quoting, I don't have a problem with him deciding it's too much hassle, I just don't like that his tweet lays that at the feet of his Discord fans.

i don't think he's doing that at all. you are straining yourself to disagree with a statement you agree with

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh actually in the officially canon matrix online a sizable portion of humanity voluntarily stays in the matrix while civilisation is rebuilt

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this thread lol

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

people ITT yelled at dan for his serious tweets and his opinions about batman v superman with literally the exact same level of intensity until he left

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I really like the dlcs because its all messy little personal stories that never quite resolve while the main campaign is all big decisive geopolitics. lonesome road in particular is basically just a guy trying to make you stop and think about how youve been forest gumping through world history without a care for the last 100 hours

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 21, 2020

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

everything about the writing in bethesda fallout games is so bizzare and inconsistent. it'd make more sense if they were universally poo poo but they always sneak in one or two areas and quests that are actually well made and thoughtful. something is just wrong with they write and design games at the highest levels.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi51-wjcwp8

i've probably linked this before but it's a very illuminating look into the process that creates a game like Skyrim or Fallout 4 and its kind of incredible how the dude comes off without intending to at all

watched all this thank you. jesus christ lol

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

im never gonna watch the four hour twin peaks explainer but its fun imagining david lynch finding out it exists and getting really mad

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

Tbh I don't care enough about either show to have a ballanced opinion on the actual merits of either just expressing a general frustration with a critical consensus that biases towards stuff I genuinely don't find interesting.

Mainly I just have the same attitude towards ganstershit as people who don't like cringe comedy. I just don't connect or like a character when they're willingly participating in organised crime. A whole show about self serving criminals making the world a shitter place just doesn't appeal to me no matter how well drawn and acted.

I'm not against characters committing crimes in general its just these loving tedious mafiosoes sitting around pasta resturants getting randos beat up for not eating their spaghetti correctly or whatever petty bullshit they've arbitarilly decided is a matter of honour and death that I just can't stand.

i have good news: the sopranos is actually a comedy about a depressed guy and his lovely extended family

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

congrats. nice vid btw

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

proudly stating that you havent heard of some internet poo poo in a weird attempt to own everyone else in this threa dof all threads should be an instant ban

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

shut up

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

New Super Metis posted:

No one was doing that, people just genuinely didn't know who the guy was or what his significance is (me included!). Not everyone has the same cultural knowledge and there's no need to be weird about it.

youre being weird. i'm normal

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

shes right. nobody is talking about shakespeare when they say fanfic lol. you all know exactly what cultural products are being referred to

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

if literally all fiction is fanfiction then that tweet should just harmlessly roll off your back and not mean anything

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

mycot posted:

This logic implies Beandad was right. Someone getting dogpiled doesn't magically make them in the right.

i dont really care about her broader thrust of whether its good that people write fanfic or not, because the problems with IP and genre fiction run much deeper than that, but everyone obviously knows what shes talking about when she says fanfiction and its not loving milton. come on. its completely cool to like bad genre art and think its valuable and you dont need to pretend like its anything other than what it is

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 17, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Alaois posted:

basically all i want to say is please stop pretending the things you like are important, they aren't and i don't care how many comparisons to things other people think are important you make because i do not care in the slightest

thank you

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I like Jenny more but swell entertainment has a pretty similar tone and often subject matter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuukF24LY_k

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

cyberpunk has never gotten that popular unless you have a really broad definition of it because its very easily diluted into other sci fi or just standard hollywood action movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the OG cyberpsychosis mechanic just sounds like a fun roleplaying contrivance and way of gauging how scary your guy looks