Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Alacron posted:

I'll go ahead and throw in a recommendation for Core-A Gaming, a fighting game channel that does short essays on various topics. What's great isn't just how he makes a lot of difficult concepts very easy to understand, but he cites his research in academic studies and psychology books. I don't play fighting games often but I find his stuff very compelling.

Why Motion Inputs Still Exist:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WhbSNP_zF4

Playing Fast and Slow:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4-EyNJhcQ8

Why Button Mashing doesn't Work:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R0hbe8HZj0

In a similar vein, I'd also recommend Hold Back to Block, a fighting game channel that does documentaries and interviews with various people within the community. The big video that some people in the thread will be familiar with is the Killer Instinct documentary (which got a decent push from big names in the community, and got Killer Instinct trending on Twitter earlier this year), but there's some other stuff, including interviews with other YouTubers in this thread.

FIGHT ON: The Killer Instinct Story (which includes interviews with Maximilian_Dood and Matt McMuscles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks4eZoG94Vs

Getting YOU Into Fighting Games - WoolieVersus (an interview with Woolie which also delves a bit into Super Best Friends history, specifically concerning the Baz): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7p1ZvZEEAo

Core-A Gaming and Making Good Content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78nRAilQYe4

Captain Invictus posted:

oh boy, an Among Us collabo with a bunch of huge youtubers and the game grumps.

Dan is adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dl8S2yCZIg&hd=1

spoilers for goings-on in the video: Dan being the helpless puppy that everyone wants to protect backfires spectacularly when he becomes the imposter, and everyone who wants to make sure he doesn't IMMEDIATELY get murdered and follows him around to make sure he's never alone, means he can't murder anyone else because multiple other people are always following him :allears:

You also forgot the part where Dan keeps forgetting to mute his mic, so while he's the Imposter for the first time, he's giggling every time he kills someone and everyone can hear him.

Also, some of the other YouTubers in the collab have posted videos of what happened on their end on their own channels, so you can see what Alanah, Ethan, and Ross were doing while Arin was doing his thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Bad Wolf posted:

I've never watched The Game Grumps until this week when I checked out their playthrough of Doki Doki Literature Club. It was hilarious for a variety of reasons.

Their playthrough of DDLC is an absolute gem, and I'm pretty certain Dan has yet to fully recover from the trauma of watching that game.

Also, once you finish going through their playthrough, then you should watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JhJ241dJ_g&bpctr=1603275473

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

If we're still doing video suggestions:

The Sphere Hunter- Focuses on Survival Horror games, especially Resident Evil. But also spotlights lesser known games like the Parasite Eve series or Haunting Grounds.

:doh: Can't believe I forgot about her. She managed to also get interviews with some of the VAs from the RE2 and 3 Remakes and did playthroughs with them. Great channel that doesn't get enough love.

YggiDee posted:

Forget about the people with the bad opinions about Lilo, let's talk about how Rise of the TMNT was hosed over by Nickelodeon, got axed halfway through production of Season 2, and still managed to glue together a coherent finale.

I would love to hear about this, actually. Rise was a show that I just glossed over (don't watch TV, not a huge TMNT fan), but seeing how great some of the animation is makes me want to give it a watch one of these days

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Ross, aka RubberRoss/Ninja, has a new video up where he and a group of his friends play a recreated version of Among Us for VR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfoLw_mxS6E

Among US is already a tense game in its normal 2D format, and seeing how well it translate to VR really makes me want to invest in some VR gear in the future.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Mike Chen's latest Simply Dumpling video is up, where he documents some of his time in a 14-day quarantine in South Korea along with some of the meals he received (and what he got once he was free to go):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsfwidET_xc

He also explains why he went to South Korea to stay there for a bit (although it's probably obvious once you think about it).

Archer666 posted:

That Japanese Guy Yuta makes interesting videos where he interviews random Japanese people about random things, such as what does it mean to be masculine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZrb4hYGuDA

It's a good channel overall, whether he's explaining why characters like Goku or Luffy aren't speaking proper Japanese, or getting some insight into how some people feel about certain topics. Regards to the video he posted today, it's interesting to see how Western media and influence has shaped their views on masculinity.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Alaois posted:

Soul Calibur VI just added Hwang to the game and that rules

:hmmyes:

Plus, his new look is just an excuse to give people more options for creating a Bloodborne character in create-a-character mode

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean I don't think the Matrix 4 will be good because of the Matrix sequels but Cloud Atlas and Speed Racer were both good. The only bad post Matrix movie they've directed is Jupiter Ascending and even then I liked what it was going for.

Back when I used to listen to How Did This Get Made?!, the episode they did on Jupiter Ascending was one of my favorites. It was an in-studio episode (so already good to start off), and it went from their usual mockery of a movie to genuinely trying to figure out where the movie went wrong and how it could have been salvaged. It was a fun, thoughtful discussion that I really appreciated as they just posted more and more live episodes that weren't nearly as good.

I ought to go back and see what they're doing now, since live shows aren't a thing at the moment

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Not only have ads on Twitch gotten worse (ads playing whenever you switch to another channel, or in the middle of streams regardless of whether the host is running an ad break or not), but they've seemingly made it harder to get bits from voluntarily watching ads. I think I've only succeeded in getting bits once in the last ten times I've tried

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Feels like Disney got really involved in production; much like how they get involved in the Kingdom Hearts Series with their :psyduck: mandates

Looking at KH3, Avengers, and Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite, you can just feel the involvement of Disney/Marvel just oozing off of them.

Meanwhile, Ultimate Alliance 3 and Spider-Man/Miles Morales somehow dodged them and are pretty drat good games. Is it because they were console exclusives, and Disney didn't care as much?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
When they announced their break from James and Mike Mondays earlier this year, James mentioned that they had gone years without taking a break from recording something, even though Mike had wanted one for a while. It sounds like that once the break happened, they were just okay with not recording together anymore, and that was that

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Nuebot posted:

What's the connection? Wasn't Demon's Souls a sort of spiritual successor to the king's field style of games given the many references to them?

It is, but it only came about to begin with because Sony wanted some of that Oblivion action. Miyazaki talked about it for a bit in an interview he did with 4Gamer about Bloodborne, translated here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/bloodborne-4gamer-interview-with-hidetaka-miyazaki-fully-translated.840059/

quote:

Miyazaki: But with Armored Core for Answer, we were working on that in parallel with Demon’s Souls, so there were quite a few challenges. When Demon’s Souls was in the initial planning stages, and right around the time it was entering the prototype phase, I came on as the director, and at the time, it was a completely different and very difficult project compared to what it ended up becoming.

4Gamer: Is that so?

Miyazaki: Yes. One thing I remember was that the camera perspective was completely different.

At the time, the plan was to make it first-person, or more specifically, a game in which you switched between first and third-person perspectives.

4Gamer: Wow, really?

Miyazaki: Yeah. At the time, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was a really big deal, and I think SCE wanted a game similar to that.

From my perspective, though, I didn’t think we could compete by taking the same approach as Oblivion, so I wanted to focus more on gameplay elements like battles and exploration, and had to do a lot to convince everyone that a third-person camera was the way to go.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Ariong posted:

Right now Jerma is going through an ordeal where he bet 500 million community subs that he wouldn’t miss a shot in Noita, and he did, and now his chat is holding the $2,500,000,000 debt over his head. He did a stream starring his his dog in exchange for, if I recall correctly, $375,000,000 worth of debt relief.

Most recently, he made a bet on a video game wrestling match that if he had lost he would have had to do a stream dressed as a catboy, but since he won he got a full billion taken off. Then he went double or nothing and lost, so now he owes that billion again and has to do two catboy streams. I’m really enjoying the debt arc.

It's still crazy to me that streamers have to pay to gift subs in their own channel. I get that Twitch wants their money, but it seems like that's something that should be up to the streamer if they want to give people free subs

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Dias posted:

Gootecks got really into conspiracy bullshit and pseudo-science a while ago. It kinda sucks because one of the reasons I played Rose in SF4 was because of him and Excellent Adventures.

gently caress, same

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-c8o_Cphn8

the shift in appearance from his channel to his vlog literally made me gasp. guy isn't well at all.

Gootecks just really bums me out. Out of any internet personality I've followed that turned out to be terrible, he just makes me sad.

Also, while watching the video, it was really weird realizing that the vast majority of people who know of him only know of him because of PogChamp and not for Excellent Adventures.

Dias posted:

Mike resurfaced a while ago, he's been streaming DOTA a bunch. Dude sounds a bit sedated and jaded but otherwise fine-ish.

I didn't know he did DOTA, I've only ever see him stream Tekken and Guilty Gear. I think he may have even streamed SFV when Honda dropped, but I may have imagined that

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Draga posted:

I've been reading EGS since 2006 and the improvement of Dan's art is wild.

My shock at how much he's improved over time is why I started reading EGS again a few years ago after forgetting about it for like a decade

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Sephyr posted:

I remember that several history-focused creators and channels migrated from Youtube to their own platform, due to being serially demonetized over bullshit. Does anyone know how that worked out, and if it's still up?

You're thinking of Nebula. It's still going, so I assume it's doing well enough?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Occasionally I wonder what became of Laci Green and her nazi boyfriend after she went right-wing, but then I realize that I don’t care and don’t want to be reminded of them. Chasing clicks can be dangerous business.

I completely forgot about Laci Green. Last I saw of her was her saying she was going to explore what it was like to be red-pilled, and she seemingly just disappeared. Or maybe I unfollowed her, I don't remember

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Dabir posted:

The closest I've seen to a "good" reason out of them for why Paper Mario can't have good gameplay is that Nintendo think it would be redundant with their other Mario RPG series, but that's dead now since AlphaDream went under. The lack of original characters is Miyamoto's outright hostility to actual storytelling in games.

Miyamoto's done some incredible things in his career, but I'm definitely ready to see what a post-Miyamoto Nintendo looks like

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kim Justice posted:

The algorithm has certainly blessed him mightily, he's everywhere. Good on 'em.

Question for folks: Do you often find yourself more attracted to vids if they've got an "anti"-clickbait thumbnail? Like, a thumbnail that answers the question from a title? It's pretty effective on me, I think it makes me more interested in how the person's going to get to their conclusion. I'm experimenting with one today.

If you're not sure what this is, Adam Neely does it a lot (from "What is the Misty Chord?")

Clickbait/anti-clickbait thumbnails kinda wash over me now; maybe it's because I've been watching YouTube videos for years now, but so many creators I follow eventually cave on them because of the algorithm that I don't fault any of them for doing it.

Titles, on the other hand, bother me a lot more. Stuff like "Top 10 _____" or "You WON'T Believe What [insert your favorite creator here] Just Did!" are going to be videos that I avoid like the plague

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Sydin posted:

How is Nintendo so offensively bad at online stuff? It's loving 2021 and they still haven't figured out that they need to have some kind of penalty for repeatedly quitting out of ranked games?

They literally don't care. Even now, I think they would avoid doing anything online if they could

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah I love watching some lets players like Game Grumps but I tend to watch them more like a podcast. Like I watch GG to hear Arin and Dan make dumb jokes and tell fun stories. I don't watch them for their amazing gameplay.

Likewise, watching someone else play DnD is frustrating to me just because I'll be thinking the whole time "Why is the DM doing it *this way*? Why not like *that way*. Which is dumb I know lol But I can't help it for some reason.

I watch LPs for both gameplay and podcasting; I'll watch something like a Demon's Souls LP (especially if it's like their first Souls game) to see how the LPer does, or watch Markiplier play a horror game that I was never going to touch to begin with, but I'll also watch Game Grumps to listen to Dan and Arin, or UpUpDownDown to watch Da Party interact with each other during their weekly Uno games

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Archer666 posted:

I think so? The leak is documented here, though it wasn't a very big leak or anything https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ery-differently but it seems that that lore page is talking about this.

The lack of fashion souls? I'd say that Nioh has better fashion souls option than the entire DS trilogy, if only for the fact that you can morph the appearance of your gear, so when you inevitably get something better you can still have it look like the gear you'd be replacing.

I like both series equally, though I feel that the combat in Nioh is on a deeper level than DS. DS3 tried to go a little deeper with weapon stances, but it didn't really come together for me.

Combat in Nioh is a lot better than DS, but I feel like your combat options are wasted on a lot of enemies outside of the human bosses

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

My headcanon is that Tonks/Lupin were bi/pan. Tonks was also genderfluid.

Something that drives me crazy about Joanne being a TERF is that she created a world where it's trivially easy for someone to change their gender expression if they wanted to. They teach kids how to make potions that can transform you into someone else in year one or two of school, and there are wizards who can transform into animals at will. There's no way that there aren't wizards who have devised ways to physically change their gender if they wanted to

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Okay, I haven't heard of Geeks + Gamers before, but I'm gonna assume that they're some transphobic Gamergate group

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Everyone having that really gross looking clay "Character at realistic 1000000000p resolution" skin weirded me out so much with Jump Force.

There was a real wasted opportunity to do something similar to Kingdom Hearts and have characters do something like visit other manga worlds and appear in different art styles. Imagine seeing all these characters entering different worlds, and appearing as if they were always part of that world (like seeing Naruto in Toriyama's style, or Yugi in Araki's).

But that would take effort and a budget, and Jump Force was about anything but that

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/1373754145497350146

I saw it as a screen shot and thought it was a joke, but no he actually just tweeted this :shepicide:

Holy poo poo, gently caress off JonTron.

I am really bummed out about this. I hadn't heard about the prior accusations before, so hearing about all of this now has been a real gut punch

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Pat will probably try to bring it up and Woolie will immediately scream him down like the last time he tried to make fun of the Game Grumps on the podcast.

Didn't Pat send Woolie the ProJared dick pic live on stream?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean at this point I sorta suspect game grumps won’t be around for awhile. I am guessing Danny is loving out and rightfully so and arin and friends will have to decide if they want to end it or look for another co-host and hope number 3 doesn’t end up being either a weird moron nazi or a weird groomer rear end in a top hat. That or arin acts out of character and keeps him on in vain hopes they can projared it somehow. But my guess is Danny gets thrown out and they take a hiatus.

A hiatus until they figure out what they're going to do is definitely going to happen, but if Danny is gone then I think GG is over. Jontron was only on the show for like a year and that's still brought up all the time, I can't imagine Arin trying to continue the show with having to deal with both Jontron and Danny fans complaining about how it was better with so-and-so. If it comes to that, he may try to rebrand the channel

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the retweets of the stuff from the former Vinesauce mod, and the email screenshots from the fan artist are MUCH more compelling and believable than the stuff in the google doc. The general consensus so far appears to be "He didn't do anything illegal and it was all ultimately consensual, but Vin's kind of a huge piece of poo poo for hitting on everything in sight and using his fame and status to pressure women into having sex with him". So pretty much the classic definition of a sexpest.

Man, if this is true, RubberRoss has some terrible luck with being friends with people that turn out to be sexpests

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Testekill posted:

Dude must think that he's cursed at this point

Yeah, his ex-wife cheats on him with a former friend who turns out to be a huge creep, a close friend and former coworker ends up being a sexpest and possible groomer, and now a friend that he met during his new career might be one as well. We've all had some lovely friends, but that's some terrible luck on his part for it to be public like this

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Geez, poor Ross :(

Katt posted:

I think google would have prefer if any youtube video could freely use all media without hassle. That would probably be good business for them. Their copyright strike system is just them covering their rear end.

Yeah, this. The more people on there with more videos, the better for them. And at least YouTube's copyright strike system gives you a chance to fight back, unlike Twitch's

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
One of these days I'm going to give Riverdale a watch. It just sounds like one wild ride every time I hear about it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
For me, I think standardizing things like control customization and color blind mode would go a long way for accessibility issues. There are still plenty of companies who think that one controller configuration is good game design ("we configured the controls this way to evoke a feeling") regardless of whether or not players are comfortable or able to use it properly, and that shuts out a lot of potential players.

Hell, I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't for the Switch Lite, Nintendo would have shoved a lot more motion controls into their games

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Two streamers of Hololive mentioned Taiwan when looking up the demographs of their viewers on stream and they got a lot of threats from Chinese users. This lead to the termination of the Chinese division of Hololive. It was really ugly.

Chinese users are pretty vocal, seems like. Nigel Ng did an Uncle Roger collab video a while back with Mikey Chen of Simply Dumpling, who's a Chinese immigrant to the States and has been vocal in the past about the Chinese government, and it caused enough of an uproar with Ng's Chinese viewers that Ng took the video down

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Isn't there a Vtuber lady who was a very experienced movie VFX/Mocap engineer and started doing the vtuber thing because COVID basically turned the lights out on the movie industry for months?

I don't know for sure, but that sounds like CodeMiko

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Anyway Spider-Man has the hot-blooded heart of a hero, so he would beat every Dragpnball character in a fight. Plus, he would never kill them, because he isn’t a murderer.

Spider-Man is a shonen character trapped in a world of superheroes.

theGrooseofLegend posted:

My favorite part of that isekai comic is that the dude chose to spare Vegeta over killing him and taking Bulma for himself because he loves Vegeta's character arc so much.

iirc, it was partly that, and partly him going, "wait, if I kill Vegeta, then he can't bone Bulma, and if that doesn't happen, then there's no Trunks, and then we don't survive against the Androids. poo poo."

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Detroit is a funny game. The Hank/Connor stuff is legitimately fun, it's a classic old grumpy detective has to work with rookie story and that part of the game is genuinely pretty good and I think Hank and Conner make a good duo.

Then you have the other part of the game, where the robot pulls himself out of the garbage and grabs a super cool trench coat that just happens to be there waiting for him, in the pouring rain, and this is not meant to be a joke scene

Don't forget the third part of the game where you have the servant robot risking her life constantly to save a little girl, and ends up undercutting all the questions it raises about human/robot bonds and whether a robot woman could be a parent to a human girl by revealing that the little girl was also a robot.

If the game had been focused solely on Hank/Connor with Connor merely investigating the the other characters' stuff happening in the background, it could have been a much better game. Marcus would have been a great antagonist to Connor

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I can’t say I’m fond of this whole “big youtubers try to get their audience to follow them to a different video hosting website” thing

I don't mind it for the most part, but I was a little annoyed when Patrick Willems said that the conclusion to the Charl storyline was only going to be on Nebula (although I'm hoping it comes to YouTube eventually). I get that Nebula helped paid for it, but it's a storyline that you've had running for over a year on your channel and now maybe over half of your regular audience (if not more) can't see it.

Mr.Radar posted:

I don't think their goal is to replace YouTube but instead to supplement it, specifically they have human moderators the content creators can actually talk to so they can post stuff that would likely get banned or demonitized on YouTube. The biggest problem I have with Nebula is that there's not enough content to get me to check it daily but there's also no notification mechanism when content does get posted so I never actually open the app :v: I'm probably not going to renew just because of that. (That's in contrast to Floatplane, the paid streaming service created by Linus Tech Tips and used by a number of other tech-tubers, which has even less content but I watch most of it because I get notified when new poo poo is posted.)

I'd try Nebula, but I stream everything through my PS4, and there's no console app. When they finally roll one out I'll maybe give it a shot

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah I was a lovely teen who scoffed at the ~idiots on the arrow pads lol what rubes~ too at one point when they first started showing up in the US, ideally people grow out of that sort of judgemental phase and live and let live, but a depressing amount don't

Yeah, they've just shifted that judgment to games like Minecraft, FNAF, and Fortnite these days.

Like, there's plenty of reasons to hate the people/companies behind those games, but the games themselves aren't bad, and there's nothing wrong with people that do like them

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel y'all deserve a reward for all the hard-fought discussion about criticism in this thread

Ironmouse and Pikamee did a collab playing super bunnyman. Ironmouse is quickly becoming my favorite non-hololive vtuber, she's ridiculously inspirational and probably one of the better vtuber singers, and she's drat hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70dx3mfgdpg&hd=1

She also did a collab with Calli from holoEN, it was a fun chill stream mostly with them fangirling and being adorable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZHp1YMMDNE&hd=1

My exoposure to Ironmouse has been through the streams/videos she's been in with Connor/CdawgVA (who I got into through Abroad in Japan), and her constant making GBS threads on Connor is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It still amazes me regularly that loving Last Podcast On the Left, the pee pee doo doo podcast where a comedian, a libertarian, and chop top from tcm 2 spend two hours pissing themselves laughing over potentially racist accent bits and got its start at loving Creek and the Cave, somehow managed to be the most well balanced, insightful, well researched, and politically correct true crime podcast left standing after the genre boom

LPotL is great at keeping that level of intrigue that you'd normally get from some random true crime show while pointing out that most of these serial killers aren't brilliant masterminds, they're dumb idiots who are extremely lucky and/or the local cops are incredibly incompetent and basically let the killers slip out of their hands time and time again. Hell, they might be the only ones I've ever watched or listened to that say that