Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's cool that there's a game that distills space station 13 down to the worker/antag dichotomy and recontextualizes it as a social deduction game but watching among us i always just have the urge to play space station 13 again instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

*Onion Kelly voice* Contrapointless.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dabir posted:

if you don't think term 2 trump will be an order of magnitude worse than biden send me some of what you're smoking

for the people who get to go back to brunch he sure would, but not all of us are that lucky. at the end of the day whether it's dealing with the boiling antagonistic hatred of republicans or being means tested into oblivion for the sake of corporations by the democrats with a smile the outlook isn't good.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

No, it's harm reduction for those people too. Harm reduction, not harm prevention. Vulnerable people will be harmed to a repulsive degree in a Biden administration, but it will still be less than the harm they're facing now. gently caress's sake, 1 in 1000 black Americans have died due to COVID-19.

That said, I understand and don't resent anyone in that position looking at the options Biden is giving them and just saying gently caress it all.

If you shoot two bullets and kill someone instead of shooting twenty bullets and killing someone, is that really harm reduction?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

To borrow a better analogy from someone much smarter and more principled than me, you can't stick a knife in someone nine inches and pull it out six inches and call that harm reduction just because the other guy left it in. The wound is still left untreated either way.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I can't form an argument better than this so I'll just leave it here to speak for me instead

http://www.indigenousaction.org/voting-is-not-harm-reduction-an-indigenous-perspective/

quote:

We don’t dismiss the reality that, on the scale of U.S. settler colonial violence, even the slightest degree of harm can mean life or death for those most vulnerable. What we assert here is that the entire notion of “voting as harm reduction” obscures and perpetuates settler-colonial violence, there is nothing “less harmful” about it, and there are more effective ways to intervene in its violences.

At some point the left in the so-called U.S. realized that convincing people to rally behind a “lesser evil” was a losing strategy. The term “harm reduction” was appropriated to reframe efforts to justify their participation and coerce others to engage in the theater of what is called “democracy” in the U.S.

Harm reduction was established in the 1980s as a public health strategy for people dealing with substance use issues who struggle with abstinence. According to the Harm Reduction Coalition (HRC) the principles of harm reduction establish that the identified behavior is “part of life” so they “choose not to ignore or condemn but to minimize harmful effects” and work towards breaking social stigmas towards “safer use.” The HRC also states that, “there is no universal definition of or formula for implementing harm reduction.” Overall, harm reduction focuses on reducing adverse impacts associated with harmful behaviors.

The proposition of “harm reduction” in the context of voting means something entirely different from those organizing to address substance use issues. The assertion is that “since this political system isn’t going away, we’ll support politicians and laws that may do less harm.”

The idea of a ballot being capable of reducing the harm in a system rooted in colonial domination and exploitation, white supremacy, hetero-patriarchy, and capitalism is an extraordinary exaggeration. There is no person whose lives aren’t impacted everyday by these systems of oppression, but instead of coded reformism and coercive “get out the vote” campaigns towards a “safer” form of settler colonialism, we’re asking “what is the real and tragic harm and danger associated with perpetuating colonial power and what can be done to end it?”

if i had to boil down my point though I'd say calling the vote harm reduction is a gross insult to the people who experience brutal bipartisan oppression, like the black, indigenous, disabled, etc. activists who will be brutalized by the police Biden wants to increase funding for. vote for him if you want but these justifications only exist for your own comfort, they're not meaningful to the people who will unequivocally not have their harm reduced.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 25, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I don't disagree that if you vote, you might as well vote for the lesser evil. Which is why I voted Howie Hawkins. :)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Saw your edit and I'll respect it and remove my response

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 25, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the extremely loose creator community that became known as breadtubers originated in making response videos to prominent right-wing figures like thunderfoot and aurini but started leaning into more constructive media and broad political criticism from what I understand because they realized featuring these people was creating a feedback loop and inadvertently increasing their renown and popularity. there's a handful of destiny-adjacent people considered breadtubers who still do it though and generally they court the most controversy of any of them.

it's a descriptive label but not the most useful one. there was a common initial call to action but they've all taken their own roads and have their own individual strengths, weaknesses, and sometimes major issues.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

no matter how necessary violence is it should not be pursued with a desire for it.

would you like me to time warp you to revolutionary haiti so you can tell them this, i'm sure they would find it a very valuable opinion

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

boglins are poggers

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

peter coffin went from a redbaiting liberal to the specific sort of tankie that people who get labelled tankies despise, in the same category as phil greaves and redkahina, it's incredibly funny

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

didnt some other guy in cinemassacre get in some poo poo? not rolfe himself, mike i think?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

"FINALLY, WE ARE FREE OF THIS GARFIELD PIZZA HELL"

he says as he's literally planning, right now, to just replace it with Scooby-Doo restaurants

at least there's a stronger gimmick potential there for massive neverending tower sandwiches

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think the revulsion comes from it having the same energy as homophobic jokes/images of trump and putin kissing

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Augus posted:

there is a gulf of difference between horny rear end and titty armor and armor that just isn't designed to crush women's chests

armor tends to have this layer called "padding" it's pretty great and allows you to flatten the plate itself in a way that deflects blows away from the heart instead of guiding them there

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

The wide umbrella of definition that things can fall under to be called 'too left' is so absolutely massive that I have no idea what the hell it means here. What, specifically, is the problem? I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Did the first episode have Dot as the main character or something?

it has trump as a gross polythemus in an odyssey parody

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Sigh

Wonderful.

I'm barely familiar with the original series to begin with so now I've got two more shows I have to watch if I'm going to be 100% sure if political jabs are par for the course with them or not. Thanks a lot, Spielberg!

it made fun of the clintons pretty often iirc

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

all the side characters do get a cameo in a gag at least

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Did the creators of the reboot say why they didn't bring back Slappy? I understand not bringing back Goodfeathers or Rita or Minerva Mink or the nurse but Slappy seems like the kind of character that fans of the original show would appreciate even more now

Also should've also brought back Chicken Boo, a bit that was funny every time :colbert:

There's a sketch in the show featuring Chicken Boo that explains why the other characters aren't around "in-universe"

The meta reason that I've heard is that they didn't want to write for the other characters until they were comfortable that they had nailed the tone of the show and that they're probably going to return in season 2 or 3 if the show does well.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think the harley quinn show is pretty good even though it's an extremely gratuitous splatterfest, it's like a pure platonic form of the idea of an edgy irreverent superhero spinoff but somehow actually pulls it off.

i think one of the keys to how it works is the cast is very likeable and not dour brooding wretches so you're inclined to root for their goals if not their methods.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 26, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dabir posted:

I'm not a gore guy but I think enforcing lower age ratings on superheroes can get a bit silly. You give them all these fantastic powers and weapons with enormous destructive potential, then the universe twists itself into knots to make sure that not a single drop of red blood is ever seen on screen. It's fine to have the heroes be trying to avoid damaging civilians and property, and it's fine to have them be very good at that, but at least let the villains do some real damage. The DCCU took it too far in the other direction imo, but that's good ol' Zack "if an entire city isn't being destroyed why are you even making a movie" Snyder in action.

I don't know I think stakes can be very effectively separated from gore and you can do a lot to communicate urgency without ever needing to explicitly depict ultra-violence instead of suggesting it with visual and narrative tools and let the limits of the audience's imagination do the work

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Benne posted:

I don't know how people could still fall for Borat in 2020 when everybody's annoying co-worker has been doing the "Borat voice" and screaming MY WIFE for the past 14 years

he's in disguise like 70+% of the film and his fictional daughter carries a lot of the actual pranking

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

flcl is short but jfc is it dense

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

sometimes i think about how if i watched ways of seeing before art classes i might have taken an entirely different path in life. granted i can learn and practice art now but nowhere near as well as i would have been able to back then, adult time under capitalism is so severely constrained

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

tumblr has nothing on livejournal, a lot of the stories from there have been lost to time but dear god was it a mess

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Garrand posted:

Honestly this is why I was extremely not surprised when I saw that it was Twin Perfect that had a 4 hour explainer video. Those dipshits are famous for stupid interpretations of Silent Hill followed by absolutely demanding that their interpretation is the only correct one.

do they ever reach the unintentional heights of comedy of the silent hill wiki admin who was obsessed with circumcision or is it just boring poo poo

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

launch overwatch had some "just loving around" tf2 energy that seemed to dissipate really quickly around all modes when ranked was added, it was kinda sad to experience

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with a character type like the Spy is it's stuck being built around trying to blend into a group of people that know friendly fire doesn't exist and there's zero reason NOT to shoot everyone who approaches you regardless of team colour.

I generally only found any success on Spy when I tried to spend as much time as possible out of sight and get my stabs by dropping on people and flanking them in corners. It's not like I never disguised but I tried not to rely on it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Also the guns become exponentially more effective when you're sandwiching someone with a teammate so the enemy has split attention

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

overwatch is a sandwich

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it’s like how you can’t really great an anti war movie or movies that are supposed to be anti whatever end up being used by those groups. To make compelling TV you have to make it not miserable to watch

counterpoint: come and see

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

he's joking but in a way that's supposed to make a salient point about the absurd degree to how stagnant minimum wage is especially when compared to both cost of living and productivity rising. if minimum wage was actually representative of the value people provide to their workplaces $50 min wage is not beyond the realm of possibility and is nowhere near as absurd as the actual, real inconceivably disparate wealth of the working and owning class today.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 28, 2021

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Excited for this, didn't much care for the Sonic Riders one as it felt like they had little content to work from even after mashing together 2-3 games and were really just hammering in jokes that didn't work, but a more cinematic game might be good fodder for them.

on the other hand without that content drought we wouldn't have storm begging for death from hatsune miku

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bakeneko posted:

That's one of the points Legal Eagle brought up. He doubts the lawsuit is going to go very far because, regardless of how sketchy it was, everything they did was covered by their TOS.

aren't terms of service supposed to be really weak bindings that essentially get thrown out if they brush up against other laws? thought i heard that somewhere

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

what's the value in The Fountainhead to non-objectivists? i could see Greenspan third-way neoliberals liking it as well I guess since their ideology incorporates diluted free market objectivism

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I bounced off Wargroove's map design pretty hard it just seemed like it encouraged rote and uninteresting strategies more often than not

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Harry Potter successfully recast Dumbledore so it's not like we haven't seen massive franchises successfully handle this before.

I honestly liked the recast a lot, I feel like Gambon retroactively makes the character from the book make more sense by portraying that he has a strong emotional core that often gives him strength but sometimes pulls him in a specific direction and causes him to lose perspective. As opposed to just being a stoic and impenetrable wizened old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

see imo this is one of those intentional choices that made the character better :shrug: