Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ghostlight posted:

Cracking the Cryptic is literally just having a sudoku puzzle narrated to you.

Except for the (rare!) times it's not a sudoku. Both guys on it are legitimate experts too, which helps keep it moving and they're able to explain it reasonably well. Sometimes I have to pause and go back to try and follow some of the more weirder arcane stuff that's happening but it's generally easy to keep up with in spite of the difficulty of some of the puzzles they do. It also helps that very few are just regular sudoku and instead have some other rules and restrictions that keep things interesting and fun.

Also Simon looks a lot like my dad, and that made me have to do a double take a few times at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Linday Ellis on the fallout to her Omegaverse video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3v5wFMQRqs

Youtube's reaction to the DMCA notice for the previous video... :drat:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

He's not wrong though; Yorkshire Tea owns :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

The greatest hits doesn't even have the original version of the song. :allears:

The Greatest Hits really should've just been Whoomp and a collection of its various remixes and rerecordings. That would've been a hilarious and amazingly self-aware move..

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Libluini posted:

For some reason few things infuriate me more than if I can hear someone's mouth noises. That poo poo just sets me irrationally ablaze with hate.

YouTubers: If you do this where I can reach you, I will enter your dreams to tear you apart from the inside. Be warned.

That's not irrational at all. Watching/hearing people eat is hella loving gross and I have no idea at all how it became A Thing that people choose to sit through willingly, never mind popular.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

So as someone who was in college when iCarly aired, whats so special about this show that it needs 7 hours.

:shrug: Absolutely nothing; one hour is more than enough for it from what I remember. It is a very stock 2000s Nickolodeon sitcom. The most noteworthy thing about it compared to all the others is that it is arguably the most blatant about Dan Schneider's predilections. Or at least the first time he just straight up put it on-screen.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

AT-STs! AT-STs!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Not RLM related, but this video talking about paid advertisements on YouTube and why they're declared explicitly but other things like for product placement in a TV show doesn't necessarily need to, popped up in my recommendations earlier. Surprisingly interesting despite the dry-sounding subject matter.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's kind of hard to separate in Benoit's case when you have the announcers casually calling him poo poo like "a cold-hearted killing machine"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Avatar (and I guess by extension Korra) is a show that by all accounts I should like, but I just kinda keep bouncing off a few episodes in. I remember catching a few episodes on Nickelodeon when it was first airing way back when and enjoying it, but I guess not enough to go outta my way to watch it. Everything I've seen of it has consistently been "yeah this is a good show I should watch" but it never works in practice. I dunno, it's weird.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

DeafNote posted:

I enjoyed the HP books as a late teen myself, but I quickly felt that it all peaked at Prisoner of Azkaban and that the later books had decent to good chapters buried in a plot that made no sense and got hamstrung by the 'every book takes a full year' gimmick.

That the page count inflated for no good reason immediately afterwards makes it obvious that Goblet of Fire is where she could, would and did start just straight up ignoring her editors. You could cut them all in half (if not more) from that point onwards and likely not lose anything of value.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

e X posted:

I am not being really fair, he does manage to survive the killing curse and does come back in one of the best scenes in the series, but still, for a man who is referred to several times as the most powerful wizard ever, he never really pulls out something really impressive

It doesn't help that we're told that there are exactly three spells used by dark wizards, and I feel like that's never really questioned or shown otherwise until like one chapter in the final book when one of Draco's two interchangable goons makes Sentient Evil Fire because... for some reason that was needed for Harry to destroy a thing.

I'm sure there must be, but every example I can think of right now is from before we're told about the Three Bad Guy Spells.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It was made explicit as a retcon, but the subtext was always there. I remember hearing it long before she casually tweeted it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

When's the last time a movie was fantastic? I don't see many so I'm still assuming that's Mad Max: Fury Road.

Hot Fuzz.

...I also don't see many movies. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

I watched MB's Mushoku Tensei video and I will at least give him credit on repeatedly saying that the main character is genuinely awful

See, that's good. I stopped watching that one once he said the main character is, and I quote almost verbatim here, "technically not a pedophile anymore, for now" as a point in its favour.

I also stopped watching his video on the Horimiya anime once it became abundantly clear he wasn't going to address the way the source material repeatedly uses domestic abuse as a punch line.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Pachylad posted:

I'm kind of surprised that it took me until this video to realise that for most people, they only know Human League through "Don't You Want Me".

I always figured it'd be (Keep Feeling) Fascination, if there was one specific Human League song that the average person would know.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Dabir posted:

You know what cartoon I never see anyone mention? The Cramp Twins. If I didn't have such vivid memories of watching it as a kid I'd almost think I made it up somehow. I didn't like it at the time, but I watched it anyway. Kids are idiots.

There were a few that I watched because it was on and I was too lazy and/or tired to turn it off. That wasn't one, but I remember it existing too. Usually it ended up being poo poo that ran late at night (and not because it had to, either) like Ned's Newt or Fat Dog Mendoza. Stuff that I remember and literally no one else I've ever spoken to does.

Probably for the best too, because they were usually really bad. I didn't even like them at the time either!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

He is Pretty Good after all.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Jon Bois is good at what he does that he got to me watch, and be interested in, a nearly four hour retrospective on the history of the Seattle Mariners. I don't mind sparser Bois appearances when we do get is just straight up gold even if it doesn't seem like it.

Also the real best Pretty Good is the bodybuilding forum's days in a week thread.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I dunno about that. Pretty sure MauLer would never be able to teach the merits of being patient.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

And even if you for some reason do decide to punish yourself like that, they just :smug: about how it doesn't even count unless you go through it line by line, sentence by sentence, in tedious excruciating detail. Sisyphus would consider that too much.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Drew Gooden watched 46 years worth of SNL the simplest way possible. By only watching 1 episode per season (mostly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGjxX4gvaqk

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Very appropriate considering this thread's recent topic is that Strange Aeons read Chuck Tingle's book Trans Wizard Harriet Porber

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

fun hater posted:

literally just recounting literally every single episode of the tv show beat for beat, episode for episode for at least and hour and a half with no insight on the events he describes outside of "i liked it" or sometimes an overly tortured point about the profundity of something that he fails to get across to the audience.

I remember a few months back he made a big deal out of the long threatened promised iCarly video being over 4 hours long and basically everyone in this thread was confused by how that's even possible. Seems a safe bet that this is gonna be why.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1405268502529724418

When that one post before said he only got halfway through it, I thought that was a bad joke or something. Alas...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

stillvisions posted:

May also adds some movies to the list, most notably actually good movies, or at least well-made ones.

I dunno about that. I think it's kinda great that her additions include actual hosed up poo poo next to weird bad "it's just a prank, bro" nonsense like Trash Humpers.

And then her final addition is the most unwatchable of all of them: Nostalgia Critic's The Wall.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Jamie Faith posted:

I made a thing

I can't believe this iceberg may control the fate of the Middle East!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, a lot of the ones in this video just kinda made me go "...wait, is that it?" It didn't help that a lot of them definitely blurred together, even to May herself it seems, when the descriptions could basically just be "it's the same as the last one but with a different name" for like half of them. The actual interesting stuff worth a mention here was after the final tier when she briefly went over some things that didn't even make the list for whatever reason.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, uh, apparently Sarah Z got a legal threat because of her video on... Homestuck?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I literally just rewatched Spaceballs for the first time in like 20 years because of this thread. It's still fantastic :colbert:

The entire ludicrous speed scene is definitely the funniest part since it's just joke after joke in rapid succession, but it's not like the rest of it is dry and boring or anything. It's not perfect by any means, but it's not a contender for Mel Brooks' worst movie or anything silly like that.

Jamie Faith posted:

Aw thanks for the tip!!! :unsmith: Yeah I love the Pirate Warriors series! PW2 is my favorite game of all time. I did just buy 3 (for ps4) in a sale a couple of months ago. Sadly, I'm broke at the moment so I cant get PW4 right now but thanks anyway!

Also if you have Discord, you're free to join us in the Lurkers Lounge server anytime =)

Well the good news there is that PW3 is probably easily the best game in the series, but I'd still put PW4 as a strong second place personally. Worth picking up when you can.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

May talking about David Lynch movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpvOCNMDZlk

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

my favorite modern who moment is still the bit where the doctor is forced by coincidence to do a racism on purpose so that rosa parks can still do the thing

I think the part where she does a racism on purpose to get someone captured and tortured by Nazis in the middle of WW2 is also up there

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Jose's newest sitcom retrospective is out and its on The Cosby Show.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Inside a Mind did a Scrappy Doo video many years ago. Haven't rewatched it since it went up, but it's the first thing I thought of when the question was asked.

Added bonus, it's only 15 minutes long.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Muta's pretty drat cool, so I sure hope not.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

i know the thread went over this the last time a sarah z video popped up but, the gently caress is an anti again

A lot of people have tried to answer, but "someone who dislikes [thing]" is the only conclusion I could take from it. When she was attempting to explain it I got the distinct feeling that not even Sarah really knows. Pretty sure it's used in a way to be vague and meaningless on purpose, or something.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Samovar posted:

That last thing wasn't Tumblr, tho...

But it was a trip and a half. God I wish I saved the page that summarized the whole drooling mess.

It's not really the same as reading it in its entire... glory? but Justin Whang did a video covering it 2 years ago at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7-HrspiKfY

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

It's kind of been there with the One Piece fandom for a while, just in different forms: Back during the early days of the Grand Line people were really big on using character's bounties as a mans of quantifying how strong they were.

Like the DBZ power level thing, though, this is specifically a thing that is done in One Piece itself as well. And like with Power Levels, it's only ever done by the bad guys in one specific arc.

Unlike DBZ, though, Oda messed up and undercut it. By having it so the bad guys in Jaya learn that, no, actually Luffy's Bounty is bigger than Bellamy's and then have him get bodied in one punch it kinda ends up sending the message that Bounties are Power Levels. So, it's not really much of a stretch (heh) when the text actively supported that reading when it proposed the idea. There have since been things that shoots it down very thoroughly, of course, though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yorknew is fantastic, but the Election arc is the absolute best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Well, he is hilarious and you will quote everything he says...