Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Since it's a new thread and I noticed that the Great War is still on the recommended channels (the war coverage is already over and Indy has nothing to do with the channel) I want to give a recommendation for Indy Neidel & co current project Word War Two which covers the war week by week, as well as specials on interesting persons, war on the homefront, equipment, the war against humanity etc. Currently operation Barbarossa is in full swing and in a bit more than a month they will be covering the attack on Pearl Harbor minute by minute.

It's very interesting, educational and well presented. I was about to say fun, but the team has done their due diligence in covering atrocities committed by all the factions, so it's occasionally going to be rough to watch. But I highly recommend the channel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

JordanKai posted:

Isn't Hasan the streamer who got in a not-insignificant amount of trouble (as in, major outlets picked up on it) for saying America brought 9/11 onto itself? That's not exactly the tone I would expect from a sterilised, accepted Dem broadcasting avenue.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
SovietWomble, mostly known for his amusing random bullshittery gameplay videos, has stepped his toes into video essays and released a three-parter on DayZ. I'm not too familiar with the game, but it's an interesting look into the development of DayZ, both the stand-alone and the original mod and how it enabled completely new genres to emerge.

You can find them here, here and here.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Seems Like Brad Jones' brainworms have spread to Doug.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Dapper_Swindler posted:

From bin laden and co point of view, probably not. I think there point was hopes to scare the US off and poo poo.

Bin Laden gang's goal was to provoke US into attacking Middle East, which would radicalize the Muslim community. Which they succeeded at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
This is from a few pages back, but I decided I'll give the full context on the AC:Odyssey "gotta have a baby" stuff. I played Odyssey last year and when the segment happened I had to take a break and google wtf was happening and to reaffirm my feelings that this was not okay.

The babymaking happens in the first DLC and the main game is very respectful in allowing you to choose whether to be Alexios or Kassandra and who do you want to or don't want to bone. The DLC was made by a different studio, and it doesn't really add anything new to the game and manages to add confusion to the overall narrative of the series the actual order of assassins won't be founded for another 400 years but apparently an order of not-assassins exist in Persia. It's pretty easy to just skip the whole ordeal.

Okay, so at a certain point in the DLC the main character just decides to settle down and have a baby. The game has so far had little conversations about the topic, but I played my Kassandra as a queer who would never settle down, and the game just promptly ignored all my previous choices and suddenly Kassandra was building a family with a character who I had shown no romantic interest in and who had the personality of a paper bag (can't even remember his name). The dialogue option to say "This is just about securing the family line" or something was added later after the backlash. This doesn't affect anything in the game, and they didn't change the VO line. Also it doesn't really make sense, because (major spoiler for the main game) at this point the main character is immortal and still alive in the modern day

And after this the DLCs main baddie, who I guess is pissed that the game forgot he exists, shows up to kill your partner and steal your baby, because apparently you need a personal stake in the plotline for the third act in a three act play. And after the bads are dead and the baby is saved, the mentor character of the story adopts the baby and goes to Egypt for reasons I guess, and this is never mentioned again.

So in conclusion it's a bad and insensitive DLC. The reason it felt so jarring and caused a backlash was because up to that point the game had been pretty good about things like that. AC:Odyssey is a fun and beautiful game, you should play it but skip the first DLC.