Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Hello fellow SJWs. Those whites sure are problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
I still like the name neonliberal. They are hopeful stories where capitalism continues unrestrained and anyone can get rich with enough hustle. Cyber-hustle.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Nuebot posted:

He doesn't feel shame.

He does feel it. He likes it. It’s what normal feels like. You can’t shame people into better behavior. It is not possible. You just turn them into shame pigs who poo poo their pants for the attention.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
I like how they pointed out how magic is just used to recreate the modern world but worse. Time travel is used to take more classes. Teleportation is used to get to work on time. Magical beings are more minorities to be racist about. Magic items are more consumer products to buy.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
I want an apology for having to scroll past these posts.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
A gross system where corporations own what passes for our culture is okay because it hurts the feelings of a dead person.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The least interesting thing to say about something is that it is “overrated”.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Like really the big one to me is that we still have Polanski defenders, even from people using their real name with real careers. Which is kinda proof to me that if you make media people like there is no limit to what they'll try to cover for you.

There are a lot of professions where the only actual qualification is to tolerate, ignore, and excuse terrible acts.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I wish I could erase Star Wars from my brain... and everyone else’s brain too. If I had a time machine, I’d go back to 1975 and talk George Lucas into doing a sequel to American Graffiti instead.

Agreed. It’s brain static. Entire lifetimes lost to arguments about space wizards where nothing can achieved or gained.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Aging movie stars are basically vtubers at this point with the amount of cgi de-aging used.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Ariong posted:

What I don't understand is why everyone does not simply adopt a skeleton avatar, the best kind of avatar.

The only honest avatar is the stupid newbie avatar. For we are all stupid newbies at this thing called...life.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
A good end to Harry Potter would be the revelation that Voldemort was a puppet and conned into creating the horcruxs so the establishment would have a supply of boogeymen as distractions.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. i like it more of voldemort is kinda everything wrong with wizard society and poo poo in human form and that he is a creation from both upbringing and the hosed up society so harry and the other fucks realize they have to actually try to fix the world so some other wizard chud doesn't become the next wizard hitler or some poo poo.

The book goes into a painful level of detail that Voldemort was already a budding serial killer before he knows wizards exists. You could really tell what Rowling had on the TV when she was writing those parts. And then his main obsession was with death and immortality with the racism secondary. The racism important to the wealthy Death Eaters because it was a tool to maintain power, just like Voldemort.

So anyway, Dumbledore was fully aware of the type of asset he was recruiting with Voldemort and sent Harry to grow up in abusive household to become the replacement.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The Harry Potter series is funny because the first book is a fine children’s book but Rowling immediately got sick of writing children’s books so they become all politics and weird magic rules to justify those politics.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Their primary skill is consuming media. Not math.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Media consumption is not a political act.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Neoliberal brain rot is thinking posting is power. Having abandoned the idea that material conditions in the real world can ever be changed or improved, they’ve moved their existence to a second meta world of media and commentary.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

No Actually went to school for what I'm talking about.

This makes you way dumber. Paying money to get media brain.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
It is an interesting thing in science fiction where getting too close to an uncomfortable truth about the real world causes the cognitive restructuring to cope with it to become text. Sci fi tropes like time travel and alternate universes are the writer’s mind sliding around events and causality to find a comforting version of the world even if that version is impossible and absurd.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Nothing will ever get better by debating the meaning of a word.

Never forget that language is a demon in your head. You made a deal with it. It lets you trick others in exchange for letting others trick you.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Empire is a disease. It creates an environment in the imperial core that breeds thoughtless cruelty. This sickness doesn’t go away. It stinks into the soil. It becomes part of place.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Truly capitalism must be destroyed because it destroyed malls.

Incredible point missing. Just outstanding.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Bioshock Infinite is fascinating because you can watch the narrative just fly apart as it approaches uncomfortable truth. The old timey racism is okay. It lets liberals feel like good people for rejecting it. But the cartoony depictions of racism aren’t insightful. They focus on how this particular strain of racism is uncool and out of date. The rejection is more about ascetics than morals.

The game tries the same over the top parody of capitalism but it can’t. The horror of capitalism is that no extreme is too extreme. It is a system in a feedback loop. Once the narrative has actual connections to people’s real lives then it is time to disengage and go into excuse mode. If there are infinite realities then nothing matters. The game has entered the mental realm of the liberal. Anything is permissible if you can imagine a world were it is permissible. As a liberal, you immediately start murdering leftists.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

so it is a problem to yell at the prageru guys? because that doesnt help anything either. i mean even in this post you're equivocating by calling the people who dogpiled fall and the trans people horrified by that as both 'miserable.'

Maybe the real lesson is to identify your actual enemies instead of taking a swing at the person in reach of your arm that you like least.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

but who defines who 'actual enemies' are because for a lot of people the queer sf lit crowd would qualify

You do. Identify your goals and identify who has power and is using that power to oppose your goals. Those are your enemies.

Picking fights over nothing won’t help anything. It is the sound of the powerless rattling their cages amplified a million times over by the internet.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

He feels like a liberal who learned how to be one via right-wing caricatures of liberals.

He is a very standard liberal. His politics are a cloud of excuses for why he “deserves” what he wants and others “deserve” destruction. It just sounds a lot more whiny and less workshopped coming from him.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

wait nevermind go back to talking about whether watching a marvel movie should result in a death sentence

The only thing to discuss is if it should be expanded to all superhero media.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Make it smaller. Everyone is related, including aliens and droids. A super weapon destroys all planets except Tatooine. Palpatine is time traveling Luke.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Journalists are the loneliest people on earth and can be suckered into anything by pretending to be their friend.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Every bigot is just looking for excuses to shove someone else under the bus. They love the bus running over people. It is fun and profitable for them.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

How tf does a man who consumes so much media not know any of these things? Its loving baffling. All I can is say is that I liked his reviews better when I thought he was doing a bit.

It’s the other way around. He’s able to consume so much media because he doesn’t understand it. Everything has a certain mystery and fascination when nothing is learned from the past. Everything tingles that part of the brain that wonders maybe, just maybe, one plus one equals something.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

A more relevant question is why are so many straight people so loving puritanical that they have to make sex into a big deal by repressing it because of some fake moralistic nonsense.

It’s an excuse. Always be offended and always demand concessions for being offended. Whenever the line moves, invent new reasons to be offended.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Everyone feels uncomfortable about how such a small amount of effort can make such a huge improvement in people’s lives. Everyone also feels uncomfortable that people’s suffering was so directly monetizable.

The solution is to actually fix the problems. Any of them. There’s so many. Unfortunately we are done fixing anything.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Many games would be improved by having the player character decide to do things inside of having another character tell the player character to do things.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
What is there to discuss about the ethics? Tactics is an evergreen topic though.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

romero married an 18 year old romanian girl when he was 37

John Romero’s about to mail order his bitch

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The Pinkertons are probably the most influential force in American history. They are the basis of the organized murder of anyone who tries to make things better that evolved into the modern intelligence state.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
People have become very good at making excuses because that’s pretty much all they do.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
That’s the point of science fiction propaganda. Technology will solve all problems instantly so there isn’t any point in trying to solutions that don’t instantly and painlessly fix everything. Robots for endless slave labor. VR for endless distractions. Space travel for endless frontiers to consume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

What makes ChatGPT different from a search engine?

ChatGPT will fabricate incorrect information if it can’t locate valid results.