Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I recommend Chris Davis on the video game spectrum. He has a more grounded, less verbose, and better scheduled approach to video game critique than Joseph Anderson. Reviews current releases and analyzes series in hindsight. He can tell you in one sentence that Mass Effect Andromeda was terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgnPgGFT3fRVkXKL59iFDzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifTMC7ybZDc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What online creators have the best twitter feed?

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1318574746729029632?s=20

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Linday Ellis on the fallout to her Omegaverse video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3v5wFMQRqs

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can't fathom the desire for a director's cut of Justice League when you can just watch Shazam and Birds of Prey a second time. It takes less effort to make a new good work of art than it is to fix an inherently bad work of art.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Davis's CRPG critique on Wasteland 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9KPRx3BCms&t=710s

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wasnt expecting Secret of the Druids to be internally consistent. Every person who knows the main character hates him for his many trangressions, and every time he meets a kind stranger he completely ruins their day.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. They were part of that weird 'hey kids buy gross things' that I lump together with Garbage Pail Kids and Madballs.

Madballs?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Alyssa Milano and Rose McGowan do look the same in that show, almost merging together like the bad guy from Timecop.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 9, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I have no idea who this Steve Sarcophagus is, and I've never heard anyone mention his content before, so I guess I won't pay attention and it'll all blow over by Friday.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's still fine to drag on Kurt for that time he showed his internet browser.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I played a Sherlock Holmes game knowing full well it was going to be a piece of poo poo, and I was still annoyed that they used royalty-free Kevin MacLeod music during the climax.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Look at Captain America with his ill-fitting football helmet or Kamala Khan who is every bit a 38-year-old teenager and remember:

Deus Ex died for this.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Davis on Cyberpunk 2076:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bexA1Oolp0k

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My wishlist for an Outer Worlds sequel, as one of the three goons who liked the game:

An imposing enemy faction who wears cool armour to put on the box-art, maybe rip-off Jin Roh. The Board is very much a Banal Evil, and not a Cool Evil.

Less quests where the C option is the obvious choice.

Downplay the effect of levels and make character-progression more horizontal like in New Vegas. You could never beat a Deathclaw or Cazadore swarm with a high level alone, you had to prepare.

Companions with more grave and less whiny personal issues.

Downplay generic loot and scavenging in general, unless you there's a neat and purposeful crafting system.

Character-building less weighted towards jack-of-all-trades. Maybe tie attributes, skill, and perks together.

More open-world fluff to encourage exploring off the beaten path. Roseway was a very pretty zone with no incentive to smell the flowers.

Has the flavour of Pillars 2: Deadfire.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Skyrim main quest was so poo poo that it took me 7 years to beat.

Worse than Bethesda's writing is now their attempts to replace crafted content with pre-generated stuff. Fallout 4 felt very slight with only two real settlements and a quest-log consisting of "Talk to X" and "Fetch Y". All the content beyond that was radiant-fluff designed to artificially extend the playtime with very little effort.

The Witcher 3 and even the botched Cyberpunk have their share of fluff between the meaty sidequests but at least none of it is randomly-generated.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What ground does Cyberpunk cover that hasn't been done by two Blade Runners, three Deus Ex's, and three Shadowruns? I'm not counting Invisible War because gently caress that.

How I'd rank Witcher 3's major story beats.

Great:
The Bloody Baron
Gaunter O'Dimm
Keira Metz

Okay:
Blood and Wine
Skellige Succession

Lame:
The Wild Hunt themselves
Dijkstra swallows idiot pills
Spending hours looking for loving Dandelion

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 22, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Davis is a good VG reviewer who is slowing down his channel due to lack of traffic. He is somewhat annoyed that his quick 40 minute video, about how average Cyberpunk is beneath the bugs, got far bigger numbers than the 70 odd videos he did work on fully.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The controversial youtuber known as Apollo Legend has died.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bakeneko posted:

Feels like that poo poo's everywhere these days :(. Even in Tales of Zestiria, a jrpg, where it feels even more out of place than it normally does.

Not to worry, that game was poo poo for a million other reasons too.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My mind must have blocked out the Derulo foot stuff because the only bad poo poo I remember is Rebel Wilson showing her crotch and James Corden getting waterboarded.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One day Hollywood will buy my movie script. Where Dane Cook uses a time-machine to relive the year 2006, when he was relevant, over-and-over again. But Skrillex fights him for control of the machine as he wants to relive 2012.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Moviebob is of the category who thinks up a strawman and immediately gets offended by them. That's all there is to him.

Relevant clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcbglml9KRo

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I knew a guy who was so boring that he watched a Nigella Lawson show just for the food.

It's important to note that the Daily Wire only distributed that school-shooter movie, not produced it. There are two lovely parties at play.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So long as you're not a complete idiot like Mauler, you're fine.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The last time I read the word human being in any published book was Dune. Nothing to do with the author's homophobia, it was about a bundle of sticks as well.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais on Cyberpunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWEkeqJ2djM

Regardless of quality that game got memory-holed like Game of Thrones and How I Met Your Mother.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I remember the site Ferretbrain (RIP) which dug in critically into Harry Potter's flaccid attempt at trying to being to be adult, and how awful the morals are.

It didn't help that half the final book takes place during a loving camping-trip with none of the supporting cast.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hbomb's overlapping conclusion on Sherlock and RWBY is that they're shows that threaten to be good. The resources are there, but the direction is off. A work that is disappointing is worse than a work that is merely bad.

What other media fits the same criteria?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nuns with Guns posted:

To be fair, you could pretty much pick any YA author who was publishing books when you were young and are probably better than Rowling ended up being, if only because she's down in the bottom percentile "Anne McCaffrey/Mercedes Lackey-tier."

What are the latter two guilty of?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

She's got two last-names and she drops out of the narrative once she stops being the romantic false-lead .

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's strange how Lupin and Tonks are made into a straight, later dead, couple when they are so transparently gay-coded (closeted man and poly woman) Meanwhile nobody really gave a poo poo about Dumbledore because he's the stock geezer mentor, yet somehow he is gay only it's never said or implied anywhere in the text.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mandalore on Tyranny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HU1rMDGyB8

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Id be kinder to Whedon had he not added reshoots to a movie whose principal photography was 99 percent done (the Russian family) and where he not the sleazeball Whedon.

What racist and sexist readings can be found in his work that were not openly discussed before his MeToo turning point? Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Avengers etc. Dollhouse doesn't count because there is no subtext, its all hosed up main text.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hollywood felt like it was ready assembled from Tarantinos bag of tropes, with no real commentary.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jamie Faith posted:

I liked the Flash jokes in the Snyder version. (Never saw the Whedon version so I cant say but I'm sure it was horrible)

Falling onto Wonder Woman's tits, and not knowing what Brunch is, is about the extent of it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Glinner will be eating the scraps under Rowling's table at dinnertime.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I found the plot of Far From Home tasteless because they try to mine humour out of a teenager who is given a killer drone army. It doesn't matter if he's supposed to be a good guy. You can't be a good guy when you have the Hydra weapon from Winter Soldier at your beck and call.

The appeal of Spider Man as the independent working-class underdog is eroded entirely when he has a billionaire benefactor. It also doesn't help that this came six months after The Seminal Spidey movie, Into the Spiderverse.

That same year Tom Holland was in a movie where Will Smith turns into a pigeon. It had the same villain plot as Far From Home but it honestly dealt with the same subject matter far more maturely. It also had a surprisingly amount of male nudity for an animated kids movie.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

When they tossed Phil Spector's corpse into a deep hole did they also throw in the Beatles tapes he meddled with?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 26, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nichola Peltz? Is she supposed to be the poor man's Hailee Steinfeld?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Davis on Aug Lives Matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwi8Im95pE