Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.

Bug Squash posted:

Gamers showing the expected level of grace and reasonableness to criticism of Cyberpunk having a photosensitive epilepsy trigger in it.

https://twitter.com/DirtyEffinHippy/status/1336204870970433536?s=19

I'm totally gunna come off as an rear end on this, but looking into the replies, I'm kinda annoyed at Patrick Klepek because he seems like the whitest dude ever and he's asking people to DM him epilepsy stories.

I get it, but something about a cis white guy doing that kinda stuff rubs me the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Bakeneko posted:

You might come across as less of an rear end if you explained why exactly you feel that way.

Some quick googling tells me he's a journalist so I would guess he's doing research for an article, which is a legitimate reason to ask people for their stories as long as he's being polite about it. And what does someone's race and gender identity have to do with epilepsy?

I have a predisposition against super white rear end journalists who write articles about the suffering of others. In this case the article work definitely isn't a race/gender thing, but the approach is still white as hell. Sitting at home and collecting stories in DMs is IMO the safest, whitest poo poo on the planet.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

It'd be infinitely less lame if he tore a new one into CDPR and called them bitches for doing an obviously stupid thing and poorly handling it. Or tagged the whole studio in one big post and was like yo what the gently caress

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Eh, all I can really say is I distrust cis white dudes with anything to do with publishing work on groups of people. It's impersonal, it's mildly exploitative, and it's not hitting anyone or taking advantage of privelege. At best it's using people's feeling of wanting to be understood to get another dude paid.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

I see essentially where I'm fumbling, and at it's core I probably do have a fundamental issue with some basic principles of journalism, and that it feels like it's exacerbated when white people write for marginalized groups.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Nuebot posted:

Epilepsy is something that doesn't really give a poo poo about your race, gender, sex, or pretty much any other facet of your identity. People across the globe can get it and suffer from it, a lot of people can get hit by it and literally never know or realize what it is because we, as a sort of increasingly media reliant culture, have a weirdly specific and usually joke-focused definition of what epilepsy and seizures are (people watch cartoons, fall down flailing wildly and comically) and the majority of people will probably go through life without ever encountering a seizure or even knowing an epileptic personally even though there are certain types of non-dangerous epileptic activity that are fairly common in a lot of the population. All most people know about this poo poo tends to come from things like The Simpsons which had one episode that jokes about anime causing seizures. And the hosed up thing? Any epileptic who doesn't like being made light of like that just gets told to shut the gently caress up and stop being a bitch. Just like with the recent cyberpunk controversy where tons of people I, otherwise, thought were cool and respectable couldn't wait to prove just how much they loving hated people who's brains are broken.

It's something that doesn't get reported about, often, and a ton of people are very ignorant about to the point where there's this massive almost insultingly myopic view about epileptics where even people in progressive spaces just have zero sympathy or empathy for us. I see arguments like "Well if you ignore the warning signs whatever happens is your own fault" and it's just a really callous and exhausting one because basically every facet of your life is potentially seizure triggering unless you wear a blindfold all day and sleep perfectly every night in a hyperbaric chamber or some other absurd poo poo like that because it's an absurdly varied and individual disability to have. Know what the number one thing that makes me feel dizzy and faint is? The sun. Specifically morning sun, the way it flashes behind trees, poles and other things when riding in a bus or other vehicle. For years that made getting to school or work an absolute nightmare because sometimes I'd arrive borderline incoherent and most people would just shrug their shoulders and tell me that was my own problem (I, in fact, failed phys ed. because my school didn't give a poo poo about what my doctor said). There's nothing I can do about that except try to work my life around that poo poo and I was lucky enough to be diagnosed when I was young so I've had decades to adjust and adapt to a fairly restrictive life in regards to garbage like that. For people who get diagnosed later in life, it's very difficult to adapt because depending on the severity they might well have to treat every day like they're made of glass now and if anything goes wrong the entire world is ready to just tell them to gently caress off it's their own fault. It's really, really, hosed up how lovely people are to epileptics and diabetics, yo.

Here's a personal anecdote about just how much this poo poo sucks: I was diagnosed at thirteen. I had just started learning how to drive, because I'd have been able to get my learners in the next few years, and was really excited to finally have a car and be able to drive. But my seizures were hard hitting and we didn't know what triggered them right away, so unless we could figure that out and get them under control (in my state at least it's something like two years seizure free and owning your own car and having a driver's license is pretty key to a poo poo ton of jobs in America, even if you don't need them for that job - boy howdy let me tell you how fun it is to try and get a job when you have neither of these things.) then I'd just flat out never be able to drive. So that was one hopeful dream smashed. Movies? Video games? Watching TV? Even browsing the internet? Well again, depending on what set off the seizures and whether or not we could find a medication that would get them under control I would either not be able to do these things at all or would have to do so in a severely limited fashion lest I be risking my life every time I wanted to look at fun jpgs. Oh and stress and exhaustion exacerbated my new condition and made me even more prone to seizures. Know what makes me real stressed and exhausted? Having all of my hobbies potentially hacked away from my life and having to spend the next few decades structuring my life around a heavily restricted schedule and public transit. Any time I had a seizure my doctor blamed me for it. I wasn't following the restrictions, I wasn't taking my medication, I wasn't doing it right. But the medication didn't work. I kept saying this, it didn't loving work. It just made me sick. Seizures kept coming, and since no one loving listens to an epileptic, they just blame us, I got to spend a good few years getting worse and worse until I could finally, legally, make my own medical choices and find a doctor who would listen to me. Even then it took us another five years to find a medication that works because that's just the joy of epilepsy. My current medication, and as far as we know the only thing that works, destroys my bones though. I now have to take five different medications just to stop my ribs from shattering at the most mild of impacts, it's just a loving horror show down there now, not a single one lines up with another anymore. Oh, and during all of this? I had no one to talk to. No one who gave a poo poo. Because Epilepsiy is a funny joke! Pretty much anyone who found out in real life spaces would immediately try to start flashing the nearest light switch. People online would start sending gifs and youtube links.

I say all of this because holy gently caress, if the reaction to that cyberpunk thing proved anything it's that we desperately need more people to report on epilepsy. Because, still, people don't give a poo poo about epileptics. Our experiences are ignored and dismissed, even when it's about our own reactions and experiences. People continually look for excuses to blame us for what happens and the sheer disdain shown for something we literally have no control over is not only disgusting, but depressing. We deserve to have fun too, and we deserve to be treated with respect like anyone else. But at best people just kind of treat us like we don't exist. Because when they do, it's just as a joke or active dislike.

It's unbelievably terrible that you have to deal with that poo poo. It's awful, especially, how alone you felt about all of it. I hope you have found at least some support network nowadays who have provided some help for you.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Nuebot posted:

It was the start of my becoming Very Online, really. Since I couldn't do as much fun stuff as I could before I started hanging out on more forums (which was how I discovered SA eventually) and I made some internet friends who were nice people, eventually. Some of whom I'm still in contact with well over a decade later.

I'm glad you've found some people who understand you and keep on contact with. And I apologise if my topic upset you in particular, I'm trying to work through a personal grudge I have I think.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Mr Phillby posted:

Its healthy to question the motives of anyone writing about a disadvantaged minority they don't belong to but like a Gay Trans Aboriginee would also not have any idea about epilepsy without talking to people with actual experience of the condition.

Well put. My error entirely on connecting my personal issue with this specific situation at hand.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

PWT was amazing

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

People want Lindsay to apologize for the connection they made in their own head and that's wild

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

If you don't think you should apologize, your apology will not be earnest.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Easy, you just don't feel like you need to apologize. It's easy in the sense that you can type those words out on a computer and send it, but if you don't feel like you need to, you won't.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

It's so easy to tell people what they "should do" . At least, if what is right and wrong is very easy for you, in your head, to decide.

Unsurprisingly, being a noteable person on twitter with no PR control only succesfully makes you a target for people to pick up on your minor slights and turn them into something stupid.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lmao this is the most whiny poo poo

Yeah this person went on a mission to twist Lindsay into some awful person and picked apart a handful of dumb tweets to make their point, ignoring the decade or so of her being a generally decent person with decent insights

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Like yeah, whoops, people say dumb poo poo sometimes over their entire lifetime online, got em

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

You will find that Lindsay is a human being who acts and behaves in a way consistent with most people

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Do it

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

I think if you were asked to apologize a lot for things, it might change how often you actually apologize to people

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Kotaku is willing to step on sexual assault victims for their imagined journalistic integrity because they have the same brain worms that conservatives on radio shows have, where they think they're on the front lines of some bloody war.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

AOT uses fascist stuff in it but that doesn't make the work entirely fascist. I think to a point you can recognize that an author doesn't necessarily endorse things because they use them in their story. Sometimes they write things a certain way because they believe it makes for a better story. I don't think people are going to realistically be impacted by AOT to make fascist choices, they may even result in doing the opposite.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

That's because it's a pretty bad faith interpretation of the story lol

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

The ending is pretty disappointing to me, and I need some time to digest it as it's freshly finished.

I think the series deserves more credit and nuanced discussion. I think it utilizes a lot of mature themes for a largely shonen series and tries some pretty interesting things. To me, it's not fair to reduce it to a "lolz rape and fascism" comparison without giving it some proper context, even if the ending falls flat.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

A streamer doesn't have to be any good at a game for their content to be worthwhile. I go to streams mostly for the streamers personality and the chat they have.

That said lol @ easy modes and double lol @ story modes

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

I'm mostly ruffling feathers with what I said, as I'm pretty much content with whatever as long as higher difficulties continue to exist (especially ones fine tuned to push the game to it's limits.) I feel like the most satisfaction for me as a person comes from being able to overcome a challenge and figure out a games mechanics.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Some higher difficulties are not finely tuned well, but then you've got poo poo like KH2 Final Mix's Critical Level 1 which is pretty much the most fun poo poo ever, so hard as hell poo poo can also be the best experience a game has to offer

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

For those who fall under a specific condition where easy mode will compensate for their disability, this is nice, but it's also going to be an excuse for people like game journalist types to play through a game faster and write an article sooner. It's also a way for people to have to think less.

It's like when there's steps and a ramp. People are likely to take the ramp instead of the stairs, even though it designed for disabled people to use. People will choose the ramp for themselves, even though they're in perfectly capable ability to take the stairs, to make their day easier...even though, again, it's designed to accommodate those who need it.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Nuns with Guns posted:

Friend, I'm sorry to break this to you, but the games journalists are going to justify their Women and Gender Studies Bachelors all over Dark Souls whether the game has an easy mode or not.

Ah yeah that's true

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Being good at a game will inherently benefit writing about the game because you can engage with it at a deeper level. It makes it more interesting and meaningful. Sorry that being bad at games makes your written work less good lol

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Did you guys know I was purposely really bad at videogames all along

Who's laughing now

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

It's because it's funny that people who make a living playing videogames can be bad at them

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Somehow this thread is a haven for bullies

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Alaois is just somebody who enjoys being a hurtful, mean person and the thread's hesitation to quash it is unfortunate

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Nuns with Guns posted:

You don't want people to use wheelchair ramps for some reason

There's a difference between that read of what I'm saying, and being directly aggressive to people in a thread all the time. The dude's a mean spirited person and you know that.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Giant Jeff

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Me, normal : "Lindsay Ellis, on the internet!!!! What a hypocrite!!!!!"

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

ASMR I think is one of those things that either just works or it doesn't. There's no real learning it

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Wasn't Old Snake supposed to be a reflection the fanbase wanting to play as solid snake? Like we forced this old dying decrepit guy to be in a game again and he's clearly suffering the whole time lol

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Idk I think it's kinda funny that we played as an old dying bitter guy who clearly didn't want to do this poo poo anymore and that the critique was pretty decent.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Superman killing anyone feels kinda like missing the point of the character. It feels like too much of a deviation of what makes him Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

A bunch of comics having superman kill a guy only means that a bunch of comics toy with the idea of Superman killing a guy and risk being a really dumb and bad story that doesn't understand Superman well.

If you create a scenario in a movie where superman has to kill someone in the way Man of Steel does, you're really just taking a popular superhero identity and placing your own OC on it. It's too different for the sake of being different.