Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FirstAidKite posted:

what is it about his content and output that got him in contact with major progressive political leaders?

This was very specifically his marathon Donkey Kong 64 stream to raise funds for Mermaids, the UK transgender youth charity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, "The Snyder Cut", it turns out, was a myth and a marketing ploy. What the people who were clamoring for it are getting is going to be "The Snyder Version". And it is still going to be an absolute disaster because its baseline factor is one Zachary Snyder.

That's kind of begging the question, isn't it? Zack Snyder has a style that, love it or hate it personally, has still proven very popular with at least some subset of the movie viewing audience.

I doubt any of the hashtag-releasethesnydercut people are going to be upset that the end result looks like a Snyder film.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bug Squash posted:

It wouldn't be a creepy pasta without end dialogue so ham fisted it nearly wrecks the piece. It's nearly a necessary part of the genre.

It sometimes works if it leans into the absurdity.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Dune goes out of its way to make the villains unsympathetic monsters, but even the first book spells out that nice-guy-that-we-like-and-want-to-root-for Paul is going to cause more death than any of them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sydin posted:

So movies with "mature" themes often have gratuitous sex, violence, or swearing thrown in because that bumps the rating up to an "R" and makes adults more likely to show up for it, which conflates those superficial elements with something being "mature". It's not just limited to movies either: TV and video games suffer from the same problem. HBO is a particularly big offender: pretty much any prestige television they make throws in a ton of gratuitous nudity and swearing even when it doesn't serve the story whatsoever, presumably just to get an MA rating and drum up interest.

tl;dr a lot of people who think "Batman but he says "gently caress" and shoots people" is more mature only think that way because the way media ratings incentivize writers in such a way that media aimed at adults often has elements thrown in to artificially pump the rating up to one that matches the target audience.

You're touching on a few things here, but I think you're trying to prove too much.

HBO doesn't add gratuitous nudity and swearing to their shows to get an MA rating. HBO gets their shows an MA rating to advertise that their shows have gratuitous nudity and swearing. The gratuitous nudity and swearing is the part people like!

Likewise, "Batman but he says gently caress and shoots people" has been popular character since '86 Dark Knight Returns. I doubt Frank Miller felt that he was adding "artificial" mature elements to trick adults into liking it, so much that he wanted to tell a story where Batman said gently caress and shot a gun. And no doubt it was marketed as a less kiddy title, but beyond that it was successful because people liked reading about Batman saying gently caress and shooting a gun.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Microcline posted:

And even though I haven't seen either movie, there are clear differences between the damage depicted (fire and flying glass vs. ambiguous smoke), what the focus is (the first shot is about buildings being damaged, the second is about the clearly visible villain being punched through buildings), and the reaction of the crowds, along with the fact that one of them is a cartoon.

That's exactly McCloud's point. As long as its clearly fantastic (or cartoonish) the destructiveness and violence seems nonthreatening, but once you portray those things "realistically" it suddenly becomes uncomfortable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Microcline posted:

I think if anything I'm being overly generous to Snyder, in that with that statement I'm assuming he's trying to critique anything at all instead of merely celebrating violence.

"Wouldn't it be hosed up if Superman punched somebody through a building in real life" is a message that's about as applicable as a CAD punchline. The common thread in Snyder films is hypercompetent protagonists inflicting violence on others, and the graphic nature of this violence is just a way of emphasizing its effectiveness.

Snyder's films are still sanitized power fantasies—the violence is still stylized, hypercompetent, and usually presented as justified—they're just sanitized power fantasies that pretend to be realistic to allow manchildren to pretend what they're watching isn't an edgy version of a children's cartoon.

I'm not sure what critique or message you think is being presented?

Snyder's films have stylized, justified, violence, not because Snyder is making some galaxy brained Big Point about violence, but because that is par for the course for super hero stories. The difference between his films and the actual cartoons (as shown last page) is almost wholly aesthetic. McCloud seemed think this was largely the objection people had with his films, that even though the content was the same between the two his style made it "uncomfortable."

And... as far as I can tell you seem to agree.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

McCloud posted:

It's like they're ascribing Superman with omnipotence, he didn't save everyone, this must clearly be because he didn't care, and not because he was unable to, because something something hypercompentent violence something something hypercompentent randian sociopath hypercompentent ctrl alt delete :thunk:

I remember that for most of the 00's there was a sentiment that Superman wasn't an interesting character because he had become so powerful over the decades that it had become impossible to tell stories about him. All Star Superman was held as the exception that proved the point. Grant Morrison was able to just make it work for 12 issues, and even then it showed its seams at points.

But when you cut back on how powerful he is he gets held as a "disinterested, irresponsible sociopath" when he... beats the bad guys and saves the planet, in an extremely typical super hero way.

It makes me feel for anyone tasked with writing the character.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JustaDamnFool posted:

I know its easy to be glib about the popular opinion on something being poorly informed, but I feel like if you have to spend substanial amounts of text explaining to each new person that a peice of media has certain themes, those themes might of been poorly communicated in the first place.

Are you criticizing Snyder or F. Scott Fitzgerald?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Andrast posted:

Snyder should direct the next star wars movie

You joke but there's almost assuredly better versions of at least a few of the Disney films locked in the back of some store room. At the very least there's a mostly complete Lord and Miller Solo cut that we poor bastards are never going to get.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghostlight posted:

one of my favourite channels got blown up yesterday so i'm going to use kim's single use of the word musical to advertise its reformation

tony posts a variety of old electronica, european music i wouldn't otherwise see, and mash-ups of movies and music.

https://www.youtube.com/c/OurSoundsAreElectrik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz_ar_cqMnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVjYWi_6OXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLwaawF07o4

These are all good, but can anyone identify the film in the first video? 80's French adolescent scifi with no budget sounds like it would be extremely my poo poo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghostlight posted:

An unfortunate casualty does appear to be the previously detailed video descriptions listing both movie and sound sources. Hopefully he works through those once he's done reuploading.

That one is Children in the Universe - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071957/

Fantastic, thank you!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Groovelord Neato posted:

As diseased as it is to make a defense of the prequels I'd hate to come across the brain that defends the Matrix sequels. At least the prequels are good for memes.

Internet King Colonel Sanders was definitely a meme for a decent while.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ha! I just noticed Jon's junk is aligned with the Sun in the astrolabe. Whole Earth revolving around his dick.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Good art shows you something new everytime you come back to it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr.Radar posted:

FWIW I've never seen a YouTube ad get past uBlock Origin on Firefox.

Same, and it's only recently that it wasn't enough for twitch, too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Terrible Opinions posted:

The only things that were vitally important I ever learned in school were typing and a single home-econ class in middle school that taught every single home money thing that people complain about school not teaching taxes, interest rates, mortgages, etc. Everything else even when it was appreciated and good would have benefited from not being in the setting of an American school or worse still university. American college is a machine designed to give you depression.

Four year Universities are frequently terrible outside of their dedicated programs, but community colleges can be quite good. I think I learned more in two years of community college than in all of high school.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This is great stuff. I was sort of aware that Rankin Bass did a lot of stuff few people had heard of, much of which was batshit, but not quite the extent.

I had watched some of The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, but I completely missed that it had the voice cast of The Thunder Cats. Maybe I'll make another go at suffering through it at some point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFIs6LsV0a4

Super Eyepatch Wolf has made a fascinating video about the Undertale fan community. I had no idea it was THAT big.

I don't think I cared for this one. SEW lets his enthusiasm for the game get in the way of his point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

Berseria was great though.

There's a lot going on in Berseria that seems almost like a callback (call forward?) to Zestiria.
I really think they were going to be much more connected before someone decided that Berseria would be a much stronger game if they just took an axe to all the Zestiria set up.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kibayasu posted:

It’s weird to hear Descent described at a niche FPS offshoot because it was my jam back then and I was all over Overload. I guess it kind of was since the Descents are almost the only examples of Descents.

I know there was Radix, which was basically the Epic version of Descent.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Calico Heart posted:

After several emotionally exhausting months, my longest video yet is finally up:

Q's Going Nowhere

In it, I talk to professional cult deprogrammer Rick A Ross about Qanon, how people get sucked in, the future of the movement and how people can potentially get out of it. Please give it a look, this one nearly killed me!

It's wild to hear talk about When Prophecy Fails. I remember that book coming up in discussion a lot in the church my family attended when I was a child, The Worldwide Church of God.

The local congregation fell apart around '92. The church elders discovered many of their foundational beliefs were nonbiblical, and also the cold war ended without the promised armageddon. All-in-all, a big disappointment for everyone involved.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Hopefully anyone who made a career out of solely vlogging at Disneyland can pivot to something else.

How come my guidance counselor never told me this was a career option?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

YggiDee posted:

Jenny's video is up now's your chance!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4AdFD3E2ok

THE SERIES THAT BROUGHT WOMEN TO THE FRONT LINE

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Groovelord Neato posted:

They were popular on these forums (to the point there was some kind of partnership thing I remember there being a stickied thread in GBS for awhile).

No real SA poster ever read GBS.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fanfiction is transformative media in the same sense as many of the video essays discussed in this thread.

As such, it is appropriate for us to be very, very angry about them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Junpei Hyde posted:

Well his spine exploded and he lost his website so who knows

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah, like straight up Barbie Dolls in the art. It's amazing.

okay but this rules, tho

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghostlight posted:

I love Snow Crash but it post-dates all of those works and the establishment of the genre.

My understanding was Snow Crash wasn't considered cyberpunk as such when it was first released, what with the balkanized state powers giving way to a multitude of anarcho- societies.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Karloff posted:

Plus, for whatever reason no other film maker has a fan base like him. People can write a hot take on Scorcese, Tarantino or Spielberg and not have remotely the same hordes descend upon them. Nolan perhaps could inspire slightly similar fervour and I do not think it's a coincidence that both Snyder and Nolan have been attached to the same comic book hero "brand" .

Maybe no single film maker, but you do see this with other nerd brands. It wasn't much more than a year ago that Scorcese caught flak for calling the MCU movies "theme parks," for example. The Disney Star Wars films are another giant hullabaloo, too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think the over focus on Snyder's fans/haters is obscuring a larger problem, that being how major internet platforms (twitter and youtube especially) promote and thrive off of outrage.

The Snyderverse films, Star Wars Sequels, and the like aren't any more contentious (or malicious) than the Prequels or Matrix sequels or whatever were in the 00's. But instead of today's modern virtual ecosystem, back then you just had the gamefaq's forums or livejournal or whatever.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Groovelord Neato posted:

Alright but none of this answers why Snyder made Steppenwolf look even worse.

Who doesn't love an edgy villain?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Calico Heart posted:

All shares would be much appreciated, and if anyone here has a channel and feels like re-uploads/mirroring the vid I would be really grateful..Thanks everyone.

https://twitter.com/The_Infranaut/status/1357795921409499137

I have clicked the retweet button.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I have watched the film and I can confirm: quite good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vanderdeath posted:

It's been like 24 years and I still want a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics yes I know two adVANCE GMAES EXISTS IT ISN'T THE SAME GODDAMN IT :negative:

Ogre Tactics isn't the same either but it's drat close, if you haven't played it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kim Justice posted:

And lo, Jesus came unto the stream and asked Mary Magdalene to show feet in the name of the Lord.

You were timed out for 600 seconds. Reason: let he who is without sin...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean children aren’t incompetent and it’s not like old school Pokémon was punishing.

Sapphire was beaten by semi-random (fish controlled) button input. The games have always been weighted in the players favor.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I remember when the miscolored Peanut the Elephant was on the news in the late 90s for being sold at some auction for an astonishing $200.

Anyways, google reports that it's worth $7000 today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You're really going to drop that on "it's an interesting failure?"