Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Alacron posted:

Down with Star Wars derails!

Now is the time of Super Robot Wars derails!

It says here in my notes that Elzam did nothing wrong and that Ratsel Feinschmecker has a sixpack and is the coolest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I know it's different for differing minorities and ethnicities, but I can't help but feel like a Jewish man saying he would want to go to Rome is just...baffling on a fundamental level. Everything else is like "why do you think you'd be any different?" But seriously, given the heinousness of both Rome and the early 20th Century towards Jewish people: why do you think you'd fare better?

Some real "well rip to ur grandma but i'm different" energy in those tweets.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Bakeneko posted:

Well I'm sure he's expressing his real opinons, but what I can't tell is whether he intended for his delivery to be straightforward, or if he was putting on a deliberately over-the-top performance, kinda like when Sage does an entire episode of Anime Abandon as his "Suave" character.

He's commented on it before but people tend to think he's being sarcastic and over the top when that's just the way he talks and acts. Tim Rogers is a strange dude and he's the first person to let you know it. His on camera persona is just a slightly more animated version of himself.

I watched a presentation he gave at a college about game design and he acted nearly the same in front of hundreds of people as he does on YouTube, so take that for what it's worth.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

treat posted:

Oh, okay. My bad. I probably wasn't paying enough attention, I'll admit that. I have a hard time focusing on what he's saying over the volume of his unbearable yuppie smugness.

Why I Season My Hot Takes, NOT My Posts

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Jamie Faith posted:

Also, is everyone from the Young Turks a morally bankrupt grifter? There's Dore, Dave Ruben, and even Cenk himself who refuses to let his staff unionize and dabbles in Armenian genocide denialism.

Way back when, I remember catching a TYT livestream where the topic of the Armenian Genocide came up and Cenk kept trying to dance around it while Ana Kasparian was actively getting more and more pissed. I wish there were more active Leftist news outfits that didn't have such crummy people at the helm.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Non-white White Supremacists like JonTron will always baffle the gently caress out of me.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Spark That Bled posted:

Why would I care about Fire Emblem when both Vandal Hearts and Final Fantasy Tactics exists? :v:

It's been like 24 years and I still want a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics yes I know two adVANCE GMAES EXISTS IT ISN'T THE SAME GODDAMN IT :negative:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

JordanKai posted:

She pulled Donoteat into that mess too, and seeing him back her up on her hateful BS what utterly heartbreaking. I haven't watched any of his videos since. :(

That's when I stopped listening and pledging to them, too. I was already getting disgusted by how it felt like Liam and Alice were just there to joke about people dying en masse before she showed her whole rear end on Twitter with her phobic bullshit.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

No.1 Special posted:

Super Eyepatch Wolf - My Favorite Things 2021

https://youtu.be/_Xy44W1eIJQ

It all returns to nothing

John dancing in front of statistics of the pandemic is honestly a huge mood.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

It's probably because the anime just got to the scene where (spoilers for Attack on Titan) the leader of the military junta that controls the armed forces the main cast work under gets assassinated by right wing nationalists, all the while
a crowd in support of the killing starts screaming the motto of the Survey Corps, "devote your heart(s)," (a line that got popular within the fandom) while members of the main cast look on in horror. The assassination itself is carried under the auspices of Eren, the protagonist, who has gone full accelerationist and is planning on killing everyone outside of their nation.

It's the point of the story where it's proven that it's anti-fascist and anti-nationalist. Eren has always been shown to be an unstable person that's been outright called 'a monster that would kill anyone that impedes him.' The last third of the series recontextualizes his behavior as the endpoint of an extremist that's unwilling to compromise and by the end of the series, his friends, colleagues and even his enemies have all banded together to try and stop him from committing omnicide.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Macaluso posted:

I don't agree with the Y'shtola thing but I'm willing to concede on it, but Gaius it the true weird one because that piece of concept/promo art doesn't matter, his current in game look is that model at the top. He's one of the darker characters in the game.

I was just talking about how weird it is that XIV has separate cases of children who are extremely pale despite having one or more parents that are dark skinned. It would've been cool seeing the Twins or Yda with at least some sorta color on 'em.

Japan has a weird issue with colorism in general though. A good example of this is Nico Goldstein in Devil May Cry 5, who is half-Black and despite her concept art reflecting this and her face model being mixed, they still lightened her skin and straightened her hair in the final product.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

sexpig by night posted:

the twins are rough yea but to be fair for yda she was made when there were no female Midlanders in 1.0 so they really couldn't remake her model in the old cutscenes easily while doing the massive 2.0 overhaul and all.

Now to completely undo that, there ARE darker skin tones for Highlanders they could have used rather than her albino like skin tone...

Yeah, that's my main issue: there were brown skin tones for male Highlanders even in 1.0 (I played one in 1.0) and the lore for Gyr Abania and Ala Mhigo was set even back then, so it was definitely A Choice to make her blonde-haired, blue-eyed and extremely pale.

I think another reason why it bugs me is that Eorzea is Fantasy Not-Africa and you mean to tell me there's so few brown people? :cmon:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Max Wilco posted:

https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/1374619084067721216

I don't know who @noname is, but here's yet another on-brand MovieBob™ tweet.

noname's a really good rapper, poet and activist. All of this started on Twitter because she pointed out that a lot of her white fans will listen to her work but ignore pretty much every message she puts out there. Naturally this has lead to a bunch of caustic white people's fee-fees to get hurt and now she's gotten a target on her back.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

A big flaming stink posted:

Smdh at no one pointing out that both raya and avatar are ripoffs of journey to the west

.... No one in this spat knows what journey to the west is, do they :smith:

Seeing as how some of the original people that brought the issue up with Lindsay were of Chinese descent, I'm going to hazard a guess and say they're probably aware of Journey to the West.

I also don't mean that to sound sarcastic. My grandma told me stories about Sun Wukong as a kid.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I watched MB's Mushoku Tensei video and I will at least give him credit on repeatedly saying that the main character is genuinely awful which at least puts him above other anime youtubers *cough*gigguk*cough* that just make light of everything with ""joaks"". I don't think Gigguk is an actual apologist for pedophilia or anything but there's only so many times you can try and tell us that a show is really good if you just ignore [x] or [y] while couching it in a joke.

Mushokutensei is absolute trash and I hate that so many animators are probably getting paid absolute pennies for that poo poo. The animation industry as a whole is probably going to collapse in on itself sooner rather than later.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

In college I did a paper about Gustav Klimt and got to talk about the opening to Elfen Lied for like a page and half. You best believe that sumbitch was a double spaced APA format, too.

Well that's the one positive Elfen Lied story I have thanks for reading

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Alacron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhk2gzmU35E

Ya'll, Super Eyepatch Wolf stumbled across something incredible.

Dell has broken this poor man's mind in ways beyond mortal ken

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I'll always feel bad for the actor that played Black Bolt in the Inhumans show, since he took the time and effort to learn American Sign Language and consult with the National Association of the Deaf to ensure he was doing everything right only for the show to get immediately cancelled.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

"Master Chief, mind telling me what you're doing in that suit?"

"Sir, finishing."

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Jimbot posted:

2015 Jimmy Dore would spit on 2017-onward Jimmy Dore. Never seen someone fall off a cliff so fast.

I used to think Jimmy Dore had somewhat decent politics and even had the right idea about policing since he came from a family of cops (unfortunately the same case for me), but dude just loving went...strange after Trump got elected. I think Trump made the dude Dennis Miller himself hard.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I wish that fansub had kept going since it would've made the title drop in the later part of the series make zero sense

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Obviously you mean Billy Zane of The Shadow fame.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Shinji2015 posted:

That's a good point, and that cycle isn't going to do much to improve things. I'm also frustrated by how deep the "girls don't punch as hard as boys" shonen trope goes; I've been watching NarutoJujutsu Kaisen for the first time all week, and I'm already annoyed that all of the girls in the series seem to be far weaker than the boys in typical shonen fashion.

JJK gets better about this past the next arc that the second season of the anime us adapting. Basically Maki, the bo staff user in the older class of students, suffers personal loss and goes on a loving Doomguy esque rip and tear mission. She's probably one of my favorite characters in the manga right now.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

drat, man, Todd's video got pulled right when I was like twenty minutes into it. :negative: Man has the worst luck with copyright strikes.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Jimbot posted:

It's not even monochrome, it's more Baroque or Renaissance with understated colors and higher levels of shade. It's a look and if that doesn't do anything for you that's fair. But boy howdy that Linkara review is cinemasins levels of nonsense. Wasn't even engagement it's just "why is this like this? it's bad. this is bad. it's weird. I don't like this." It's a greatest hits of twitter discourse.

There's a reason why most films don't try to ape tenebrism or chiaroscuro and that's because it looks good in static but muddy as gently caress in motion.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Calling him Freeza at this point is like calling Guts Gatsu or Aerith Aeris

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

fun hater posted:

i know this is a full 2 and a half minutes long but please listen to this from start to finish i promise you wont be disappointed. it needs to build up to the rap verse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6plVf2T6AOo

Goddamn, this mf spittin'

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

oh hey my first double post

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I forget who originally posted Primm's Hood Cinema but thank you. I've been really enjoying the channel. He a black all-star.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I'm glad most Canadians are on the right side of history then. Soda-sayers will be the first against the wall.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Happy Landfill posted:

Hazel talks about the War on Pokemon at the end of the 90's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdBLtEoZRRc

Can't wait to check this one out

Oh, hey, I'm glad she mentioned it at the start but I was at Forbes Air Force Base when the Mayor of Topeka renamed our town to Topikachu for the day, when I was a kid. One of the few things my hometown is known for, other than its exported homophobia and be mocked by a blue cartoon character in the early aughts.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Cosmonaut Marcus on the LOTR movies that wisely cut out Thom Bombadil, Glorfindel, and all the awful singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XawG-iLjYes

Gonna call Hobbits "Crackers with eating disorders" from now on. Thanks, Marcus.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

lunar detritus posted:

can't believe space cops would abuse their power, completely unrealistic, would never happen

Even in a universe of space wizards and angry extragalactic bug people, a random brown dude getting accosted by the cops still rings extremely true

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wow, I knew it was going to be bad but I did not expect it to be quite like that.

Lee Pace pretty much carries the show on his back and I will unfortunately be watching the second season just for him.

I also have a feeling they're going to make either Gaal or Salvor the Mule somehow and I'm going to scream.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Zeniel posted:

Birth of a Station (9 and 3/4)

Birth of a Nation 3/5ths was my least favorite Leslie Nielsen film.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVD-pndQftw

Decent video on the Looney Tunes in the year of our lord 2023, though with a bunch of incredibly hot takes on Space Jam.

He's 100% right about Space Jam and I thought it was a lousy film even as a kid. :colbert:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Grondoth posted:

The level of wiggling was simply unsustainable.

Also

That's loving weird, right? Defunctland talked about the wiggles for a little bit, enough to understand the phenomenon and the history required for the ride's context. Why would Quinton just go "well what the gently caress else is there" after he spent a couple years getting stuff to make a video on them?

Alexander wept, for there were no new multi-hour video essays to make.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Tenchi Universe has the most 90s opening ever and it remains a stone cold bop in my heart.

Also the Shin Tenchi Muyo OP wasn't bad either.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm really impressed that Tom Scott was able to survive xnopyt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMgCBYgVwsI

I'm surprised Tom Scott survived hitting that vape so drat hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SCeK6BxAI4

That is the look of a man in fear for his immortal soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

My hot take is that if a creator makes a story about a "cool" bad person, targets the story to people who will be attracted to the fact that the character is cool, and fails to articulate to that audience that the character is actually bad then it's either a failure in writing, targeting, or (probably subconsciously) the creator doesn't actually think the character is actually that bad.

"I love writing characters that idiots love! Why do these idiots keep misunderstanding my point?!"

(Also, lol who would watch AoT?)

Eren has some cool moments in Attack on Titan but there were several times where characters within the story would point out how loving broken of an individual Eren was and how dangerous that made him, despite the fact that his powers were useful. Arguably the most popular character in the series has a page early-on in the run of the manga saying "Eren is a loving monster and there's little anyone can do to stop him should he decide to turn on all of us."

AoT is not a great series but the author continuously peppered the story with numerous instances of Eren being the kind of person that would turn into a genocidal piece of poo poo. And, to Isayama's credit, it also never tries to explain that Eren was justified or right in his decisions either. Eren's actions bought their nation 50 or 60 years before it gets unceremoniously bombed back into the stone age anyways.