Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Poohs Packin posted:

As with most lovely or trendy diets, youll probably be fine if you do them in your 20s and live an otherwise healthy lifestyle, as MP seems to. The human body is amazingly resilient.

A lot of the fitness hucksters on Twitter and IG are just young people who havent had to deal with maintaining fitness into their 30s and 40s.

Turns out the solution to having a rocking bod is "be 24 years old".

Id like to see what happens to MP health wise if she maintains atkins diet into middle age. I can't imagine it would be good.
There's also a lot of survivorship bias and censorship going on with crazy diets.

Regarding the survivorship bias, of course the limited number of people for whom a weird diet works are going to be promoting it. We already know it works for them. If they tried something and it failed, they wouldn't be talking about it.

Regarding the latter, forums (and nowadays subreddits or Facebook groups) for these kinds of diets tend to just ban people who start complaining about health problems. It's hard for anyone to notice, because there aren't many old-timers with wacko lifestyles. Invariably people who start getting health problems quit (or get banned), and the newbies who inherently lack institutional knowledge don't/won't even notice that anyone's missing.

Lots of associated cons with fake supplements and whatnot can go on for a really long time, because it doesn't matter when one group of customers wise up; there's always a fresh crop of 16-year-olds looking to get jacked, and they're eager to buy whatever fart powder they're told will make their biceps bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure 90% of the time 'diets' work is just it's the person actually structuring and paying attention to what they eat.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Who wants a diet so.bitch made that drinking a cider puts you down for two weeks

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Puppy Time posted:

She's started on his new book if you're hankerin' for more.

oh god i hope she can make it through it

lol the first chapter is literally called "Do not carelessy denigrate social institutions or creative achievement."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure 90% of the time 'diets' work is just it's the person actually structuring and paying attention to what they eat.

portion control goes a long way. easier said than done, but it makes a big difference.

Cicadalek posted:

Because the rule isn't just "clean your room", which as people have pointed out is fairly uncontroversial life advice. It's "SET YOUR HOUSE IN PERFECT ORDER BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE THE WORLD"

Which if you think about it for more than two seconds, makes no sense at all. Perfect order? Who has their life 100% together at any given time? What does perfect even mean in this context?

What's funny to me is if you went and looked at the self-help section at an airport bookstore, all the top-sellers are variations of "get your poo poo together, gently caress everyone else." His advice isn't particularly different from any other person these days, where you turn inwards and focus on reconstituting yourself into some higher being, which for most people is going to be near impossible because you can't will yourself out of being poor or sick or depressed or whatever.

It's hosed up because this hyper-individualism cuts out something that's been important to human beings forever: other people. People are already isolated enough as it is, most of this stuff is just going to drive people further into madness. I suspect the turn towards mindfulness and meditation might also be a part of this trend, although I don't think those things in of themselves are bad or harmful.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 11, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A simple "should I be eating this" filter before shoving something in your mouth goes a long way, which is why I'm pitching my "don't eat anything that could contain rat feces" diey

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Poohs Packin posted:

As with most lovely or trendy diets, youll probably be fine if you do them in your 20s and live an otherwise healthy lifestyle, as MP seems to. The human body is amazingly resilient.

A lot of the fitness hucksters on Twitter and IG are just young people who havent had to deal with maintaining fitness into their 30s and 40s.

Turns out the solution to having a rocking bod is "be 24 years old".

Id like to see what happens to MP health wise if she maintains atkins diet into middle age. I can't imagine it would be good.

this is all quite accurate. i went from 20 - 28 eating a horrendously unhealthy steady diet of spicy chicken sandwiches and big carl's (back when they USED to be $.99 and $1.99 a pop, respectively :sigh: ) from carl's jr (i believe you heathens on the east coast call them 'hardy's" or something to that effect). in fairness to myself, i knew that poo poo was unhealthy, but i barely had any money in those early years, and also didn't have access to a kitchen to cook my own food. though also in fairness to my critics, this was still an issue even after money was longer a problem and i could cook whatever the hell i wanted :shrug:

anyway, when i finally got a job that provided health insurance, i immediately took advantage by taking a physical. this was the first physical i had since probably i was 16 or something. i knew my eating habits were horrible, so i was expecting bad news. but the doctor didn't call me for like 2 weeks and so i eventually called them up. she put me on hold and then came back saying 'yeah, everything looks fine'. and i'm like '...uh, you sure about that?'. and she was like 'yes, all your cholesterol and glucose levels are all normal. keep up the good work'.

now, granted, i wasn't complaining or anything, but it was super surprising to me. figured i'd be pre-diabetic at the very least for sure!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

There's a new video by Philosophy Tube about our hero JP. Haven't finished watching it yet though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m81q-ZkfBm0

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

this is all quite accurate. i went from 20 - 28 eating a horrendously unhealthy steady diet of spicy chicken sandwiches and big carl's (back when they USED to be $.99 and $1.99 a pop, respectively :sigh: ) from carl's jr (i believe you heathens on the east coast call them 'hardy's" or something to that effect). in fairness to myself, i knew that poo poo was unhealthy, but i barely had any money in those early years, and also didn't have access to a kitchen to cook my own food. though also in fairness to my critics, this was still an issue even after money was longer a problem and i could cook whatever the hell i wanted :shrug:

anyway, when i finally got a job that provided health insurance, i immediately took advantage by taking a physical. this was the first physical i had since probably i was 16 or something. i knew my eating habits were horrible, so i was expecting bad news. but the doctor didn't call me for like 2 weeks and so i eventually called them up. she put me on hold and then came back saying 'yeah, everything looks fine'. and i'm like '...uh, you sure about that?'. and she was like 'yes, all your cholesterol and glucose levels are all normal. keep up the good work'.

now, granted, i wasn't complaining or anything, but it was super surprising to me. figured i'd be pre-diabetic at the very least for sure!

Type 2 still has a genetic component. Which is why you can get people too fat to leave their house but don’t have diabetes.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tarkus posted:

There's a new video by Philosophy Tube about our hero JP. Haven't finished watching it yet though.

I had absolutely no idea what she was on about in half of this and I've watched most of her stuff.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Puppy Time posted:

I had absolutely no idea what she was on about in half of this and I've watched most of her stuff.

Yeah, I just finished it. It was kind of incoherent at times. I think it was an effort to keep it interesting conflicting with making it informational. I got the gist of what she was saying anyways.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Clicked link then immediately closed link.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It was novel when ContraPoints started doing it years and years but watching rich leftists dress like french aristocracy got old real fuckin fast. But I'll take an infinite amount of lame pagentry over a single second of Jorpo or his followers. I just hope hbomberguy doesn't do his next video roleplaying as Oscar Wilde.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

Type 2 still has a genetic component. Which is why you can get people too fat to leave their house but don’t have diabetes.

sure but if nothing else i woulda figured my cholesterol levels would've been through the roof

Who What Now posted:

It was novel when ContraPoints started doing it years and years but watching rich leftists dress like french aristocracy got old real fuckin fast. But I'll take an infinite amount of lame pagentry over a single second of Jorpo or his followers. I just hope hbomberguy doesn't do his next video roleplaying as Oscar Wilde.

agreed. it just comes off as kind of tryhard and pretentious.

also haven't seen that channel in a while, so had no idea ollie transitioned! :monocle:

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Tarkus posted:

why would you go through all this trouble when the perfect video to sum up jordan peterson already exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fshECqoBkM

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 13, 2021

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Mr Interweb posted:

Not to get overly political in a thread about dunking on Jorp but:

This is how much of middle america sees democrats. When the right has a champion that mimics left wing academic elitism with even marginal success, they glom onto them because it gives them someone to parrot. In their minds it unlocks a bit of access to an otherwise illegible scholarly world. Its why they all quote books that appear on 11th grade summer reading lists.

My point is that left wingers talking down their nose and making jokes about Sir Ebenezer Howard have played a part in fabricating guys like him. I do love me some contrapoints though.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1382049058525691908

:lol: isn't that adorable. lobster daddy pretending like he's going to start talking to lefties now :allears:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1382049058525691908

:lol: isn't that adorable. lobster daddy pretending like he's going to start talking to lefties now :allears:

The right has token everything for their media circuit. I'm sure peterson's "leftist" person is going to be someone like Sargon of akkad. Claims to be on the left, is entirely on the right.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/horn_zoot/status/1382104854273789954?s=20

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ikanreed posted:

The right has token everything for their media circuit. I'm sure peterson's "leftist" person is going to be someone like Sargon of akkad. Claims to be on the left, is entirely on the right.

https://twitter.com/pirata_perla/status/1382050431438848014

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

gently caress. Maher.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
The three western leftists

Zizek

Rogan

Greenwald

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Inverted Icon posted:

The three western leftists

Zizek

Rogan

Greenwald

Bill Maher

Joe Manchin

Tim Pool

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'll buy JP an account and he can post in this thread

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Who What Now posted:

It used to be said that Peterson was out of his depth in philosophy but at least was a legitimate expert in clinical psychology and I think a lot of people are realizing that he's not even good at that.

Before he did, in the months when his old and new lives overlapped, one patient believes he did her more harm than good. Because of this, Samantha filed a misconduct complaint with the CPO that led to the regulatory body expressing “concerns” over a number of Peterson’s practices.

A note on the CPO’s website, published in early February, described in broad terms an “Acknowledgement and Undertaking” that Peterson had entered into with the college as a result of an allegation of professional misconduct.

Shortly before Jordan Peterson decided he couldn’t be both a media personality and a practicing psychologist at the same time, he cancelled sessions with patients, later claiming illness, while maintaining an appointment to appear on television; he responded to messages from patients with auto-reply emails which brought up the challenges of his burgeoning fame, directing recipients to send argumentative emails to his ideological opponents; he employed his wife to sort through emails from patients without first asking for their consent; he shared potentially identifying information about patients with other patients; and he twice visited the restaurant where Samantha worked, returning after she had implored him not to, having seemingly forgotten that she worked there.

Samantha continued to see Peterson through early December 2016. At times, she says, they would discuss how his growing celebrity was affecting him.

“He was pretty giddy about all this stuff. It was certainly no concern for me. Everything was focused on him.”

As Peterson became more embroiled in the public sphere, Samantha found herself confused by what she described as his erratic demeanour. The first time she saw him after confessing her attraction towards him, she found him harsh and forbidding, “a 180” from how he’d been in previous sessions. He did not bring up the fact that she had shared her feelings towards him. Peterson later explained this was because he placed greater urgency on other issues she had raised, which the CPO panel found to be a “reasonable course of action.”

Eventually, at a subsequent appointment, she brought it up herself, telling him she’d be leaving as a client because the transference wasn’t being dealt with.

That’s when she recalls Peterson becoming sheepish and coy, looking down and avoiding eye contact.

He encouraged her to play out the fantasy in her mind to see what the consequences would be. She recalls him saying, “Well, you can’t help who you’re attracted to.”

“He asked if I was scared I would be trouble for him,” she wrote in her complaint. “I said yep. He responded that lots of trouble has walked into that office and that there was more than one way to solve a problem.”

She says she found his tone ambiguous and suggestive.

“When I think about it now, the only thing I think is he was just using me to feed some need for validation,” she says, looking back. “That’s it.”

https://www.canadaland.com/how-jordan-petersons-fame-affected-his-private-practice/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Whatta loving monster

With possible reference to her upbringing, she claims he said, “You grew up wild, and now you need to be tamed.”

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ben shapino posted:

why would you go through all this trouble when the perfect video to sum up jordan peterson already exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fshECqoBkM

Too long, this vid sums up jp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9jHDjIE0-E

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

Before he did, in the months when his old and new lives overlapped, one patient believes he did her more harm than good. Because of this, Samantha filed a misconduct complaint with the CPO that led to the regulatory body expressing “concerns” over a number of Peterson’s practices.

A note on the CPO’s website, published in early February, described in broad terms an “Acknowledgement and Undertaking” that Peterson had entered into with the college as a result of an allegation of professional misconduct.

Shortly before Jordan Peterson decided he couldn’t be both a media personality and a practicing psychologist at the same time, he cancelled sessions with patients, later claiming illness, while maintaining an appointment to appear on television; he responded to messages from patients with auto-reply emails which brought up the challenges of his burgeoning fame, directing recipients to send argumentative emails to his ideological opponents; he employed his wife to sort through emails from patients without first asking for their consent; he shared potentially identifying information about patients with other patients; and he twice visited the restaurant where Samantha worked, returning after she had implored him not to, having seemingly forgotten that she worked there.

Samantha continued to see Peterson through early December 2016. At times, she says, they would discuss how his growing celebrity was affecting him.

“He was pretty giddy about all this stuff. It was certainly no concern for me. Everything was focused on him.”

As Peterson became more embroiled in the public sphere, Samantha found herself confused by what she described as his erratic demeanour. The first time she saw him after confessing her attraction towards him, she found him harsh and forbidding, “a 180” from how he’d been in previous sessions. He did not bring up the fact that she had shared her feelings towards him. Peterson later explained this was because he placed greater urgency on other issues she had raised, which the CPO panel found to be a “reasonable course of action.”

Eventually, at a subsequent appointment, she brought it up herself, telling him she’d be leaving as a client because the transference wasn’t being dealt with.

That’s when she recalls Peterson becoming sheepish and coy, looking down and avoiding eye contact.

He encouraged her to play out the fantasy in her mind to see what the consequences would be. She recalls him saying, “Well, you can’t help who you’re attracted to.”

“He asked if I was scared I would be trouble for him,” she wrote in her complaint. “I said yep. He responded that lots of trouble has walked into that office and that there was more than one way to solve a problem.”

She says she found his tone ambiguous and suggestive.

“When I think about it now, the only thing I think is he was just using me to feed some need for validation,” she says, looking back. “That’s it.”

https://www.canadaland.com/how-jordan-petersons-fame-affected-his-private-practice/
Jesus.

I've known abusive shitheads like this. I sincerely hope one/several of his former patients he outed/hosed-over/abused his position over to get his rocks off takes him to court for all he's worth.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Isn’t disarming a patient’s attraction to a therapist an extremely basic part of the job that they have to deal with a lot? That seems like an obvious mistake and a huge breach of ethics to use it to flatter himself.

Why was he in private practice anyway? He had tenure at UT and could teach whatever lunatic poo poo he wanted.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

also haven't seen that channel in a while, so had no idea ----- transitioned! :monocle:

Bro let's maybe not deadname people even if they're public figures

Also yeah she did a lot of goofy roles before in videos to mixed success, which made sense because actor, but this one I just had no idea what she was going for, outside of the reference to her whole thing about the Arsonist in a video about... I wanna say Steve Bannon?

I had a similar issue with Contrapoints's Jorp video. I feel like there's just not a lot to say about Peterson philosophically because he's your fairly standard self help celebrity just with some extremely funny superficial details. There's not much unique or notable to mine for deeper meaning because the deeper meaning is "please prop up my self image." Just stick with the surface stuff of "constant parade of glaring hypocrisy," "stupidest diet on Earth," and "has no idea how citation works." Also "Still under the impression that Jung was on to something."

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Isn’t disarming a patient’s attraction to a therapist an extremely basic part of the job that they have to deal with a lot? That seems like an obvious mistake and a huge breach of ethics to use it to flatter himself.

I dunno about disarming, but romantic and sexual attraction through transference are pretty common, and there are different techniques to deal with it. I'm not a therapist so I couldn't tell you whether Jorp's method there would work in another case-- it clearly didn't work for that patient and sounded like a bad judgment call in general. Really, the stuff about loving around with patient info and scheduling is the bigger offense in this case, IMO. That's just plain old torpedoing the trust in the relationship. It'd be like a doctor having checkups inside Chernobyl.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Why was he in private practice anyway? He had tenure at UT and could teach whatever lunatic poo poo he wanted.

I've read books by Jorp's supposed hero Carl Jung and Jung said diffusing the natural attractiveness transference that happens btw patients and their therapists was the therapist's main duty and anything else was monstrous and an immense violation of the patient.

Good going jp.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

With every new information thrown onto the pile it becomes clearer and clearer what projections make jorp say poo poo like "we don't know if men and women can coexist at the workplace". Apparently no woman can even safely coexist with him at his therapist office.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Also his attitude to a patient who thinks she has had nonconsensual sex while drunk multiple times is like a horror story of the worst therapist possible

https://twitter.com/sannewman/status/1006888417014185989

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If you boil down his stated philosophy Jordan basically just wants a return to the society of the 1950s and 60s of rugged individualism and the nuclear family. The man is meant to be an emotionally distant and stoic breadwinner, the mother is supposed to be a nurturing and subservient caregiver, and the child must be blindly obedient to the father (and to a lesser extent the mother when she's enforcing the father's will).

The only difference between him and your average conservative is that he uses bigger words and almost never says the quiet part loud.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

He definitely nonced his daughter...

https://twitter.com/sannewman/status/1006890499414913024?s=20

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Who What Now posted:

If you boil down his stated philosophy Jordan basically just wants a return to the society of the 1950s and 60s of rugged individualism and the nuclear family. The man is meant to be an emotionally distant and stoic breadwinner, the mother is supposed to be a nurturing and subservient caregiver, and the child must be blindly obedient to the father (and to a lesser extent the mother when she's enforcing the father's will).

You're totally right but if he was alive in the fifties he'd be complaining about communism and race-mixing and long for the days of the frontier when men were men and women and blacks were property and the government didn't issue these "Social Security" cards (more like MARK OF THE BEAST cards).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DickParasite posted:

You're totally right but if he was alive in the fifties he'd be complaining about communism and race-mixing and long for the days of the frontier when men were men and women and blacks were property and the government didn't issue these "Social Security" cards (more like MARK OF THE BEAST cards).

I've watched enough Twilight Zone and Ray Bradbury Theater to know that conservative men in the fifties considered small-town America circa 1900 to be the peak of human civilization. It's the entire premise behind Disneyland.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DickParasite posted:

I've watched enough Twilight Zone and Ray Bradbury Theater to know that conservative men in the fifties considered small-town America circa 1900 to be the peak of human civilization. It's the entire premise behind Disneyland.

All of this stuff makes sense when you realize that the people espousing these ideals aren't actually familiar with history and society they just want to go back to their childhood, when they weren't aware of any problems. Or, sometimes, the stories they heard from their childhood, when they weren't born in the time yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

a similar post made 20 years from now posted:

I've watched enough Baked Alaska and Ben Shapiro to know that conservative men in the twenty-twenties considered small-town America circa 1950s to be the peak of human civilization. It's the entire premise behind Sexual Disneyland.