Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

feelix posted:

Not my intention at all, therapy is very good
That's the tricky needle to thread because a lot of therapist and modern psychology does deserve scrutiny and to be called out for being a lot more primitive and scam-oriented than people in the field are willing to admit to... but the field is still a net good and is sufficiently advanced to actually help people with emotional trauma and/or anyone willing to put the work in, even if it's not a panacea.

Peterson is the rare bird who is "Oops all scam" and should be ostracized and mocked at every possible turn.

Grevling posted:

Instead of that there are people who will help you for free, they're called priests and imams.
They want communal backing in exchange for their help, whether it be membership in their organization, donation, community outreach, or just plain-old giving them a good reputation. The super-nice ones won't outright say it and the super-lovely ones will just pump you for money/membership but all of them play by a social contract whereby the means of helping you are inextricably linked to doing favors for the tribe they represent. This is also why you can't just go to a Priest or Imam, plonk down on their sofa, and use them as a sounding board for your neurosis on the regular. You want that kind-of emotional prostitution? You pay direct to a therapist who will offer the same type of guidance but without the pretense that there's anything but cold, hard cash between you two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kind of dying to hear your thoughts on the proliferate, enduring, endless popularity of "introvert/extrovert."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Thank you for this interesting and well-informed response. Speaking solely as a layman I have found both issues you describe which is why I wished to know more. The concept of reducing personality down to a binary where untold legions of internet randos call themselves "introverts" in the desperate attempt to explain why they don't fit in, or have friends, or have a girlfriend, seems like an active obstruction to growth. It's understandable, and a little regrettable, that better models are both too byzantine and gated for average people to understand. If it weren't the introvert/extrovert dichotomy, it would be something else. Thank you, for helping elucidate.

Galewolf posted:

This was from the first page but Zizek vs Peterson advertised with this WWE Smackdown levels of hype with, uh, 200 USD tickets to see and basically the most wet fart thing ever with Peterson clearly not even on the same area code with Zizek when it comes to knowledge and overall debate skills. I think it was the beginning of his fall, being faced with the reality and getting curbstomped by an angry Slovakian badger live.
I'm amazed anyone was fooled by Peterson, like ever. All he ever seemed to me was angry in a very flaccid way that suggested performative masculinity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Which is where the all-meat diet and Russian medicine enters the picture, and pimping his daughter:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rutibex posted:

dont worry hes a psychologist so he would know if he is mentally ill

:hmmyes:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

huh posted:

Sea Lion :words:
You're the kind-of person I use to remind myself of how much worse I could be at life.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Posts that this thread needs: What u would do with Jordan Peterson if he was willing to suck the poo poo out of your clammy toes.
Charge him for the privilege cause he's entering a competitive market with my dog.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

huh posted:

Ah, I sort of get it. You have formed an opinion on me knowing nothing about me. This explains so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

Some speedrunners don't want to return America to the utopia of the 1950s, therefore, leftist.

I mean, lots of leftists do, but not the parts whitey rightey wants

TheBizzness posted:

It’s weird that people comprise words that sound so intelligently put together and yet be so god drat stupid.

Form can replace content if you brute force the branding hard enough, which is why you get goobers like Peterson testing the limits of this methodology versus their own empirical incompetence at life.

(see I do it too)