Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Here's the advice that JP and literally every other self-help guru has ever given without you having to go through a 300 hour lecture series and being indoctrinated into :biotruths: Christian-conservatism from the 50's when the world was just completely perfect (for a religious cis white male):

- You should work on these fields in your life because if too many of them fail or one of them takes over all the other then you will probably be miserable: caring relationship with a significant other, true friendship, work that utilizes your potential but also pays, constructive free time, relaxing free time, giving back to the world (utilizing empathy), substance use (don't)
- In order to achieve that you need to set long-term goals for yourself but don't make them too vague nor too small. The idea is that at first you really don't know much about anything so while getting to your goals you will slowly figure out what you really want and adjust accordingly
- In order to achieve those long-term goals you have to cut them into smallest chunks possible or you will never have enough motivation: first clean your room, this will clear the field for further thinking, then make it your own by thinking what you actually want in it, this will create baby's first agency, then make the room beautiful, this will be baby's first creativity, then maybe you will want to make the outside of your room beautiful, this will be baby's first walk outside etc. you should get the idea now
- Don't be a nice guy when not needed, don't be an rear end in a top hat when not needed, be kind to animals

There, I'm not saying that this will actually save you or that it's the only right way (it's not) but that's the JP message. Now you don't need to listen to that dude anymore, everything else he says is mostly exaggerated, oversimplified (this includes psychology) or an outright projection he created to deal with his own problems without having to go through psychotherapy (that he fears almost as much as he fears women). It's true though it may all sound logical to an uneducated mind yearning for intuitively simple answers (that were always right there waiting to be seen!) to impossibly complex questions while dealing with the all-consuming abyss.

JP fans should really check out another much more accomplished philosopher/psychologist - Marie Kondo because JP only tells you to clean your room while she actually shows you how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Incels are the worst gamers actually.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Aren't most incels between 16 and early 20s years old or something like that where they're not unfuckable, they just can't get laid like most guys before them but this time they got indoctrinated into thinking they're the victims of the Tinder society?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Remember this guy Jordan Peterson and his entire theory on how to find meaning in the 'catastrophy of life'? He spent his entire life on it, he wrote books about it, every year he taught about it as a university professor and he was actually getting paid to sit down in the library just researching it and writing papers about it. Not only that but he actually lived it, he was a living example of all those strict values and rules he came up with working for him, he had wealth, he had a family, he had friends, he had a career and a giant crowd cheering him. And then when the catastrophy of life actually did hit him he got addicted to a substance to deal with it just like everybody else.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Remember when Jordan Peterson said that dreams are incredibly meaningful and have a profound evolutionary value and to back this up he brought up his own dream where he was flying naked under the roof of a cathedral while a mass was being held underneath and then he stopped himself from elaborating on the details when he realized how dumb this sounds so instead he got defensive despite all of this being a monologue with no opponent present and he just started whining that people who haven't had a dream like that just wouldn't understand?

None of this is a joke btw.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Who What Now posted:

I know I bring it up a lot but nothing will top dreaming about his grandma's pubes
Yeah, it needs to be read to be believed

"Jordan B Peterson in Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief posted:

I dreamed I saw my maternal grandmother sitting by the bank of a swimming pool, that was also a river. In real life, she had been a victim of Alzheimer’s disease, and had regressed, before her death, to a semi-conscious state. In the dream, as well, she had lost her capacity for self-control. Her genital region was exposed, dimly; it had the appearance of a thick mat of hair. She was stroking herself, absent-mindedly. She walked over to me, with a handful of pubic hair, compacted into something resembling a large artist’s paint-brush. She pushed this at my face. I raised my arm, several times, to deflect her hand; finally, unwilling to hurt her, or interfere with her any farther, I let her have her way. She stroked my face with the brush, gently, and said, like a child, “isn’t it soft?” I looked at her ruined face and said, “yes, Grandma, it’s soft.”
Yes, that's quite profound sir, now let's hear more about how postmodernism bad because this seems to be embracing it. :thunk:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jordan Peterson once got completely destroyed in a serious debate by a sniffling trashcan raccoon.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's not even that the male chosen by females in apes has to have some aggressive quality like big teeth or loud scream. The entire idea of the primate alpha males being the only ones mating with females while others watch is a complete fantasy that was debunked back in the 80's when primatologists started actually going into the wild to observe groups of primates instead of, you know, coming up with theories out of thin air based on zero data.

I highly recommend watching Sapolsky's Stanford lectures on the subject which are all up on youtube who, unlike the hack Jordan "here's my most important life's work and let me include in it the description of my dream where my grandma brushed her pubes against my face" Peterson, is an actually accomplished professor in his field.

Here's a timestamped fragment where Sapolsky is talking about the observed female choice behavior in baboons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95OP9rSjxzw&t=5585s

"Female baboons like to mate with male baboons who are...nice to them." I get it though, this sort of groundbreaking behavioral knowledge wasn't available in the 50's which is approximately the time when JP's cut off point on accepted research is.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 16, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm not that surprised because JP tends to first hook people on his self-help stuff especially when it's their first contact with the psychodynamic perspective which tends to sound brilliantly true because of its blunt shock value.

So it's all about stuff like "Oh, you're full of fear of life and it makes you depressed? What if unlike your family and friends I told you that life IS scary and you're RIGHT to fear it but the real answer to that is to grow teeth instead of hiding, now let me tell you how". Peterson is of course very good at selling that point in a captivating fashion that would work nicely with a Hans Zimmer background music.

It's only by the proverbial rule 13 that he starts saying poo poo like "Oh and by the way, all those women that are also mostly depressed like you? They would be happier if they just started having lots of kids and that's another thing your family and friends aren't telling you about".

He's very subversive about easing people into Christian-conservative perspective on life and there's very rarely an interview with him when his opponent was knowledgeable enough to call him out on his bullshit theories based on cherry-picked facts.

I don't know what stuff of his does McConaughey agree with, maybe the guy is just a conservative moron. But to a regular person discovering Peterson may already feel like being somewhat 'in the know' and that extra deep dive required to critically assess the credibility of what he says is a lot to ask especially when that would require accepting that the guy who took you out of a very dark place is a liar - your entire being would kick and scream against it. That's why JP is so dangerous.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

You're right, maybe I had the more known interviews with him that made him famous in mind and his psychology lectures which tend to be mostly Bible-free. I used the rule 13 more like a metaphor but I agree about your assessment of his book.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Remember when in an old interview before he got famous Peterson said that when he talks to women he has to consciously restrain himself or he could say things that the current society doesn't accept? Then years later when that interviewer from Vice laughingly asked what does JP mean when he says that we don't know if men and women can work together, he works with women just fine and Peterson had a complete meltdown. Right-wing radicalization always traces back to weird problems with women, without fail it keeps being the other side of the coin.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Wark Say posted:

That's hosed up but hardly surprising. Also I'm glad to see you well, Ol' Pal! :glomp:
Hey friend, all is well, it's snowing today here :).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Samovar posted:

I just finished a book reading about eugenic movements in the countries occupied by Nazi Germany (leading up to, during and post-liberation), and oh BOY is this on the mark.
That's interesting, do you remember any examples?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Samovar posted:

From 'Racial Science in Hitler's New Europe 1938-1945', essay on eugenics in Norway by Terje Emberland, quoting a Wilhelm Saure, a legal expert to the Reich Farmer's Office:

drat, replace "German man" with "high ranking male" and you got yourself a script of a Peterson lecture.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mr Interweb posted:

one of the world's leading experts in psychology (lol) not understanding that benzos is addicting :psyboom:
He is (was?) an actively working psychotherapist who self-admittedly: a) never went through psychotherapy himself because he found that one Jung quote from 1930's that said he doesn't need to, b) has never been under any sort of supervision in his work because he's just too smart.

Of course as the guy treating addicts in his practice he has no basic idea about drugs.

He's also repeatedly guilty of presenting some basic cultural/political/historical information he just found out as absolutely mindblowing for him and strongly believing that therefore it must be like that for everybody else. He's going to keep whining about his benzo abuse as if he's the first person to ever experience addiction. His martyr complex just received another boost.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's really cool that when JP said "stand up and tell the truth" what he really meant was "publically whine to your incel fanbase every time you get owned by a woman".

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Whorelord posted:

i thought it was a new interview but apparently he's melting down over a near 3 year old interview.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/style/jordan-peterson-12-rules-for-life.html
Oh wow, so he really is brain damaged. Huh.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It must suck for JP to become even dumber than he was before when his grand vision of the universe assumes that intelligence is what determines your worth.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Yes grandma, it’s soft.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Tarkus posted:

cried multiple times, lol. these people are a loving wreck.
Maybe they should buy more cleaning supplies for their depression.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Peterson was extremely anxious to one day be able to live through his ultimate fantasy of being the father rescued from the whale's stomach by his only son but when the time finally came it turned out that the stomach was full of the most delicious drugs, instead of his son it was his daughter who came for him (the most terrifying creature called a woman) and instead of rescuing him she sent him straight to a Russian coma gulag.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A guy writes a book about how to live your life, then loses a debate to a raccoon, gets on an all-meat diet, almost dies from a glass of cider, gets addicted to benzos, after visiting 3 random doctors about his withdrawals gets a highly risky banned-everywhere-else Russian coma treatment described as "deadly" by the very doctors who applied it to him, gets his brain fried in the process, gets diagnosed with schizophrenia but refuses to believe it because his daughter with no education in the field doesn't like it. Then he whines into the void every time a journalist doesn't treat his fantasy theories seriously?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I was Jordan Peterson’s strongest supporter. Now I think he’s dangerous - over two years ago during JP's fame's height an opinion article from his old friend got published.

It was very interesting and had all sorts of insights into JP before he became famous but got flooded in all the buzz that was surrounding Peterson at the time so almost nobody noticed. Here are some choice quotes:

quote:

Several years ago, Jordan Peterson told me he wanted to buy a church. (...) I assumed that it was for a new home — there was a trend in Toronto of converting religious spaces, vacant because of their dwindling congregations, into stylish lofts — but he corrected me. He wanted to establish a church, he said, in which he would deliver sermons every Sunday.

quote:

Shortly after Jordan’s rise to notoriety back in 2016, I emailed him to express my upset with his dishonesty and lack of intellectual and social integrity. He called in a conciliatory voice the next morning. I was reiterating my disappointment and upset when he interrupted me, saying more or less the following:

“You don’t understand. I am willing to lose everything, my home, my job etc., because I believe in this.” And then he said, with the intensity he is now famous for, “Bernie. Tammy (his wife) had a dream, and sometimes her dreams are prophetic. She dreamed that it was five minutes to midnight.”

That was our last conversation. He was playing out the ideas that appeared in his first book. The social order is coming apart. We are on the edge of chaos. He is the prophet, and he would be the martyr. Jordan would be our saviour. I think he believes that.

quote:

He was preoccupied with alternative health treatments including fighting off the signs of aging as they appear on the skin, and, one time, even shamanic healing practices, where, to my great surprise and distress, he chose to be the shaman himself. And he did all of that with the same great fervour and commitment.

quote:

He is a biological and Darwinian determinist. Gender, gender roles, dominance hierarchies, parenthood, all firmly entrenched in our biological heritage and not to be toyed with. Years ago when he was living in my house, he said children are little monkeys trying to clamber up the dominance hierarchy and need to be kept in their place. I thought he was being ironic. Apparently, not.

quote:

I discovered while writing this essay a shocking climate of fear among women writers and academics who would not attach their names to opinions or data which were critical of Jordan. All of Jordan’s critics receive nasty feedback from some of his followers, but women writers have felt personally threatened.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i just wonder if that was written pre- or post-brain damage because spooking random cats seems like something most people over the age of, like, five wouldn't find boundlessly entertaining to do again and again
I honestly think that it's his idea of trying to make himself look more human. He most likely sat down to specifically come up with something evoking an emotional response BUT which wouldn't make him look unmanly and ended up with startling cats.

He'll often go off telling these pointless side stories that have little more to them than communicating "See? I'm not a monster". The telling sign is him making sure the point is driven home over and over but also that it's always something carefully selected for not shaking his father figure machismo.

Like, when he's talking about upbringing children the most positive behavior he describes is greeting a child and patting them on the head. It's how you treat a child of a colleague but that's how he describes the experience of being a father (other than a lot of detailed advice on how to discipline your kids).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's the Tony Robbins effect - he helps maybe 10% of people that pay for his seminars where they learn how to find a calling and all of them turn their lives around by becoming...life coaches.

One of the most important lessons according to Jorp is standing up, telling the truth and facing the consequences and all his fans think they're doing it by furiously defending him in youtube comments, on twitter, on the forums and by preaching about him to their acquaintances and roommates.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Jorp, even people who are into keto and low carb know that you have to have vegetables, too, you joyless fuckface.
But apple cider is murder?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jordan Pee Person

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Caesar Saladin posted:

I mean, I'm sure he got some pretty gross rooms to be more presentable, which is definitely something
Proof that Marie Kondo is a greater modern thinker than JPee will ever be.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

JP's disgust towards poor people might be the only thing competing with his hatred towards women.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

He was also most likely presenting that lecture high on benzos lol. He complained he can't sleep during those tours.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

He'll get mummified and put behind glass as the ultimate Snow White/Vladimir Lenin crossover.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'd say obsessively analyzing Disney animations from a perspective of Western Christian Values© and also an instruction of Who as a human you should be© as part of philosophy lectures at an actual university is post-modernist as hell.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The only thing I'm getting from this is that it's another carefully worded argument by jorp. It's specifically worded as "getting married" and not "being in a relationship" or "having a child". Basically the dumber you get the more you want to get married, congratz.

Also, what is he even trying to say? Lower your intelligence feminists? Heighten your intelligence incels? Nah, of course he's not trying to say anything, that would be taking him out of context, he's just throwing it out there to make you think about things. Things like intelligent women=bad.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Earwicker posted:

i havent looked too deep but the impression i get from these evopsych hacks when they talk about the "biology" behind relationship dynamics and attribute everything to (their idea of) gender is that they remain completely aware of the existence of queer relationships
Peterson is against gay marriage because "the institution of marriage got enough of a beating already". I'm paraphrasing but he said that, it wasn't one of his "open for interpretation" bits.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also to the question if gay marriages should have the right to adopt children he answered that it's been proven that single-parent households give children less opportunities.

???

He probably really thinks that two gay men count as one dad with no mom or something insane like that and not that it's simply 2 parents=double income=more opportunities for the kids.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mikhaila's diet is insane anyway. Even the traditional Inuit diet that she references all the time and falsely claims that "nobody can scientifically explain" included a lot of nutrients impossible to get from just eating beef, salt and water like she does. Those peoples were getting vitamin C in the form of raw brain and liver from freshly killed animals and they did eat eggs, berries, seaweed and plant roots. At the same time this "extended" version of animal-based diet came with a super high risk of coronary artery disease and strokes compared to even modern societies - it wasn't healthy at all, they just had no other choice.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, that's an extremely post-modern take on his part. Lol that he used to teach actual philosophy classes with that kind of intellectual awareness.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Confusing correlation with causation seems to be the underpinning of literally everything jorp has ever claimed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I remember him describing his life as dramatically and whinily even before the benzo addiction and the meat diet. Back then it was all about terrible insomnia and depression he refused to treat or go to therapy for. He has always been suffering "like you can't even imagine", as if he's the only one that really thought about it.

Lol at even Weinstein going subtly "uhh, well you can at least be an example to others" instead of pitying him and JP not taking the hint and doubling down on the whining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Grimdude posted:

He thinks he's the protagonist of a movie and that he has the "whole world against him" and all he needs to do is stand his ground and be true to himself. That includes being belligerent to the judge who is so obviously in on it as well.

The reality is that he'd be the lovely dad who shows up in multiple flashbacks when the kid is recanting their life later on.
Not sure if you're referring to the dad from the article or to JP because both fit.