Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

If you're a parent, clean your kid's room and have them clean yours in order to avoid being mistaken for Jorp fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Rutibex posted:

all the people who have received medical or psychological advice from jordan peterson should do some kind of class action lawsuit

Who are they gonna sue? Jim Henson's been dead for a bit.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Blisster posted:

Jesus Christ.

I thought the JP fans might have a point when they said you should watch some of this guy's lectures to really understand his ideas instead of just critiques of him and interview clips. It was bothering me for whatever reason, so I put on his video about "the Marxist lie of white privilege." I thought it should be instructive since my wife is black and we've had discussions about how she gets treated- followed in stores by security and stuff like that.

Anyway I put the video on while I played some video games. It's literally a two hour rant about how evil marxists and postmodernists are, and how they don't believe in facts, are driven by hate, and believe themselves to be perfect angels. He actually runs spends so long explaining the evils of the "corrupt field of the social sciences" that he runs out of time in the lecture before ever even getting into what white privilege is.

So he sums it up in about 2 minutes and says oh, it's not WHITE privilege, it's MAJORITY privilege. If you go to China their culture privileges Chinese people, not white people. Therefore white privilege is a marxist lie apparently.

What a tedious rear end in a top hat.

Edit: Oh I forgot my favourite part, which is where he's acting totally bewildered as to why "the postmodernists categorized people as they did, by race, ethnicity and gender" because there are lots of ways to categorize people, like by height. Just absolute baby-brained horseshit.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Blisster posted:

Nah I haven't met any IRL Jorp fans as far as I know. I was just getting bored in lockdown and arguing with internet randos. I guess I got a bit shaken because one of them made a case that C-16 could actually lead to imprisonment (If someone was covered by the Ontario Human Rights Code, AND was found to have been discriminating against a student, AND refused to write an apology or pay a fine), and I couldn't find the clips of his more overt lies about the bill like that it would make some of his lectures count as hate speech and stuff, even though I know I've seen them.

I really thought that someone this popular had to have something going for him besides basic self-help but I guess that was naive. It's sort of hard to believe he became a successful psychologist with such little self-awareness. It's hard to tell how much is stupidity and how much is dishonesty/grift.

I even watched the whole Zizek debate previously but I thought maybe a lecture would let him lay out his case in a more nuanced way. If anything it was even worse.

How did the Zizek debate go?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Blisster posted:

So as I understand it JP's C-16 argument hinges on a single line in the Ontario Human Rights Commission guidelines which says "misgendering someone could be considered harrassment."

This is obviously true even for Cis people. I am not going to trust a professor that keeps referring to me as a woman even if I ask them not to.

If a harrassment situation occurs and can't be resolved within the organization it would be sent to a human rights tribunal. This is not a criminal court and can't hand out prison sentences, but they could require a fine or an apology letter or something like that. JP's argument is that if he didn't pay the fine he would be found in contempt and then sent to prison for that. He also said he was prepared to martyr himself and go to jail to protest the law, but weirdly that never happened!

This is obviously is a far cry from misgendering someone being considered a hatecrime on the level of holocaust denial. Also it just doesn't seem to be happening at all, since the law is mostly about job/housing discrimination.

I had an embarrassing New Atheist phase back in the day and Peterson reminds me of those guys. Create a simplified version of your "opponent" (sky daddy believers/postmodern neomarxists), present their arguments as incredibly stupid and yourself as extra smart and rational. Teenage boys love that poo poo.

Reminds me of people using Appeal to Ridicule to try to make a point. poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev373c7wSRg

Commentary absent all the nuance of the position they're criticizing.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Who What Now posted:

He's saying that lipstick mimicks sexual arousal because arousal causes your face to flush. So regardless of intent the message makeup sends is that the woman is sexually available and we cannot be surprised when men interpret those signals in the way millions of years of evolution has taught them.

That's what he said. The unspoken conclusion that is that makeup in the workplace causes sexual harassment because men can't help themselves and if women don't want to be assaulted they need to stop looking pretty or, ideally, just stay out of the workplace entirely. He says that of course sexual harassment is bad and unacceptable behavior, but the only causes for it he gives are all things women do which places the blame on them.

Unsurprisingly Jordo never talks about ways men's clothing accents their sexual characteristics, like padded shoulders on suit jackets and blazers, lifts in shoes, ect. Which he uses all the time because he's a scrawny little loser. He also never talks about how another thing he hates, women wearing heels because it supposedly makes your as look bigger, were invented for horseriding and then later just for regular men's fashion.

Gotta love assholes that skirt around saying a thing outright just so that they, and their defenders, can go say "show me a time when I/they said that verbatim" and then give you a smug look when you can't.

E: Like that thing about forced monogamy or whatever.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

1redflag posted:

I think John Cleese turned out to be a :biotruths: guy (or at least an “England is for the English” poo poo), so not far off

And Skyrim belongs to the Nords.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Haulin Oates posted:

He looks like he's wearing make up

Resist the urge to foist yourself onto him!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Alien Arcana posted:

So... smart men want to get married, so marriage is a good deal for them, but smart women don't, so marriage is a bad deal for them.

But "marriage benefits men at the expense of women" doesn't really sound like the kind of argument jorp would make, so I assume he's actually arguing something really stupid.

He's probably trying to imply that intelligence doesn't benefit women because it gets in the way of them getting married.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

SatansOnion posted:

half a second later, the gun has fallen to the floor and pulled him down with it as he feebly struggles and fails to shift his twitching hand from beneath its immense, immovable weight

as he lays on the floor, he cries, for once again those darned chaos dragons have pulled the football away at the last second

Puts the gun in his mouth and pulls the trigger, but it turns out it's a squirt gun filled with apple cider and now he'll be unable to sleep for the next two weeks.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

E: Isn't this The Smoking Man from The X-Files?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nobody Interesting posted:

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1377481730924425220

Ah yes. Stone Age education is the most importantest of initiatives.

Is Alberta chudtown?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

Yeah, if I'd seen that comic out of context I'm pretty certain I'd have taken it only as the Red Skull using ways that apply to virtually all extremism to recruit directionless young men - the target market for virtually all extremism.

There's nothing in that that makes it overtly or specifically a JP satire/parody.

That Jorp sees that and immediately thinks they're taking a dig at him is very revealing!

I thought that "ten rules for life" was a pretty direct reference to his book 12 Rules for Life. Maybe the chaos bit too? Isn't chaos dragons or some poo poo a Jorp meme?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

"I think that the reason people hate JP is becoz he can actually get to the very core of your argument and destroy it coz he's a physiologist you know, he knows exactly what's going in your head and insecure snowflakes don't like it when you do that"

Lmao, there are people that actually think this.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

gently caress. Maher.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Blood Boils posted:

another day working the rides at disneyland. everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress Goofy. buddy they won't even let me gently caress him

They're asking if you gently caress strangely.

E: Ugh, the question would be "Can I gently caress Goofy," not "Can you gently caress goofy," and my "joke" fell flat on its face.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I will put five dollars on the next time he’s a big deal again is when he dies. He’s blown his moment, all that’s left is grifting the die hards until they move on.

There's still plenty of money in that.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

All this talk about incels makes me think about the short documentary Shy Boys: IRL.

"A short documentary on "love-shy" men. Love-Shy men believe they are afflicted with a condition that prevents them from interacting with women."

It's extremely cringe inducing.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Mac and Cheese posted:

now that was some good poo poo

i can't believe it didn't win any 'best animated sequence in a documentary' awards

https://vimeo.com/28466163#t=7m9s

Oh man, I forgot about the dude that was like, "I can't look at vaginas anymore, they gross me out."

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Who What Now posted:

I'm just gonna take your guys' words for it because like hell I'm gonna watch a half hour incel pity party

No, no, these guys are "love shy".

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Rutibex posted:

hopefully parents raised on Nintendo will be more engaged

What did I do to you for you to attack me in such a vicious manner?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

When he grabbed the glasses I thought he was going for the "you wouldn't hit a guy wearing glasses?" gambit which would have been pretty great. alas

:same:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's big enough that there's examples covering pretty much every possible angle you can think of. Including some reversed examples where fantasy heroes and villains end up in the 'real world' and have to adapt.

Ah yes, The Devil is a Part-Timer.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

People that like Jorp and read his books definitely believed in Ladder Theory back in the day, right?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

This can only happen in the Omegaverse.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

If Jorp had been born in Japan he would have made Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Get in the mech, Jōdan.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Pretty sure the Bible specifically says life begins with the first breath you take. God is also 100% cool with abortion: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers+5%3A11-31&version=NASB

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

lobster: no, he doesn't want to hurt women, he just wants them to realize if they keep this up, they WILL be hurt.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TheBizzness posted:

Yes! This is my favorite part of the thread.

Edit- this is the very first time in my nearly adult accounts history I thought to myself “let me check that rap sheet”

You won’t be surprised.

We get 'em in the Trumplol thread every now and then too.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Samovar posted:

Peterson being a supposed deep thinker, then stating 'gee, I never thought of that' when he was asked if he had never thought that refusing gay people business was comparable to refusing black people business does stay with me, I confess.

And then I lol.

He also didn't know you could get addicted to benzos.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Ok, now what do I have to post to get to step three?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Remembered that Jorp claims he had a traumatic experience 'cause he sipped on some apple cider or some poo poo. Gave me a good chuckle.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Jorp Fan Honeypot Thread

Jorp fans would never consume honey. Goes against their all meat diet.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

The Matriarchal World of Darkness sounds like it would be a pretty cool riot grrl metal album.

Was The Matriarchal World of Darkness published while White Wolf was an independent publisher, during the CCP days, or after Paradox Interactive acquired them?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Rutibex posted:

he skimmed the communist manifesto 10min before debating zizek

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol they just keep coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT3BFzSD6YY&t=22s

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Does cleaning the living room count?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

To stand up straight with your shoulders back is to accept the terrible responsibility of life, with eyes wide open.

Okay, but does it still count if I don't move the couches to clean under them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

old beast lunatic posted:

lota butthurt chuds throwing change in Jeffery's hat lately. Ya love to see it.

Lol, is your red text about Kyle Rittenhouse?