Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

the corona quid posted:

The wishing death on prominent right wing figures really destroyed the whole advantage the left had and just devolved it into a “us versus them” slap fight.

You can’t really seriously sell social welfare as a societal good imparted onto us through empathy and kindness while at the same time wishing everyone you disagree with dies. It absolutely 100% is a societal good but they’re making it an increasingly hard sell by constantly coming off as just as big assholes as the right is to the general public.

"the left" is not actually a group of people, it's a political framework used by a group of people. The things that people do in service of that framework are separate from the framework itself and can neither legitimise or delegitimise it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you. Anyone who believes them needs to work on their critical thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

ok?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Squashing Machine posted:

The platonic ideal versions of "the left" and "the right" are stored in the same hermetically-sealed glass case that holds the prototype kilogram, and so the actions and stated values of the members that constitute either group cannot, therefore, reflect on the correctness or value of these idealized forms, as thoughts cannot penetrate the perfect vacuum environment that keeps them in their pristine state

The prototype kilogram needs to be sealed because it is an authoritative source for a universally acknowledged truth. "The left" or "The right" represent sets of values. They are both abstract concepts, which are not the same thing as a discrete person or even a group of individuals. It is a very basic distinction!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lmbo

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Ralph Hurley posted:

Lobster is the one food I’ve never been able to keep down. I can eat buckets of shrimp and crab and any mollusk you can name but a few hours after consuming delicious lobster, I start to ralph and hurl.

Something something western civilization.

but is it run of the mill nausea or an implacable sense of impending doom?

you don't need to answer, I can already tell you're no true philosopher

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Another Bill posted:

One thing I knew when I was young and then kind of of got decorumed out of me for a little while but I accept again, is that when someone is making excuses for bigotry there's really no point in engaging them in honest discussion.

Because their arguments are just window dressing, and the bigotry is the point. No excuses for bigotry, no free speech for fascists.

The telling part of Jorps cult of personality is how supporters ground the conversation by hand-waving about personal responsibility before launching into
their multi-paragraph defences of race science/transphobia.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lol can you even imagine modelin yur life around someone who gets their poo poo wrecked by a pair of rubber bands?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

buttcoin

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

It's not my pure hatred of Jorp that ensures my room will never be cleaned, it's the years spent meticulously cultivating a fragile ecosystem to create the perfect balance of heat, moisture, and pH for optimal posting within my room. This is something I refuse to disturb and if the dragon of chaos swallows me up then so be it.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I actually did the maths, and it turns out that Jordan Peterson is in fact literally Adolph Hitler.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

ROFLburger posted:

either way this entire thread is a weird cult of hate for this guy

can you go into a little bit more detail on this? is there an appropriate way to discuss a public persona that is making a lot of money reinforcing ideas that scapegoat many different minority groups under the veneer of self-help? what cult-like behaviour do you see in this thread?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

ROFLburger posted:

in that very post you quote i said it seemed strange that we are calling someone a fuckup and a loser for getting addicted to benzos.

and you consider that to be a cult-like behaviour?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Context is important, but if that still doesn't work for you, well... this likely isn't the thread for you.

textbook hate-cult leader behaviour right here imo

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

The_Continental posted:

Why would you do this

fruit is delicious, so the trade off that it leeches all the vitamins out of your body and makes you piss them out can be worth it a lotof the time.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

OMG

jorp argues that the point of story of oedipus was to show the dangers of overprotective mothers :lol: :psyboom:

everyone knows the real moral of the story is that tiresius needed to shut the gently caress up

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Palpek posted:

Regarding the latest interview with him I feel like it's incredibly irresponsible and dangerous for jorp to say poo poo like "I suspect, if you did the statistics properly, that medicine, independent of public health, kills more people than it saves". It's not even about "the left are the real fascists" garbage, he's doing a disservice to his own fans. I know that again and again he actually "doesn't mean anything by that" and "it just makes you think" but his audience is mainly comprised of men with some sort of mental health issues and maybe other medical issues as well and something like that may encourage them to refuse to treat their conditions. The guy gets addicted to benzos of his own accord and he's a clinician who should have known better but nah, now all medicine everywhere is bad, he's so hosed in the head.

He absolutely does mean what he's getting at there though. That clip is him trying to make reality fit his worldview and he clearly knows intuitively that what he's saying is bullshit but he's got such contempt for his interviewer, his audience, and himself that he can acknowledge his argument is full of poo poo but it doesn't matter because they all want to believe it. He was just smart enough to lie for a grift before, but he's all in on his own bullshit now.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Albera is chudtown but the new curriculum is good actually and Kenney is spinning it as a return to the old ways or something when it's not that at all.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Criticisms about teaching kids history too early might be valid, but they do actually go into progressive topics that weren't covered before. The Kenney grandfather is funny and dumb but other than that most of the criticisms seem narrow. You get quotes like this:

quote:

Yvonne Poitras Pratt, a University of Calgary associate professor who specializes in Indigenous education, said the curriculum is a perfunctory nod to broader First Nations culture while focusing on its role in the European migration.

“What I see in K to 6 is very much a celebratory story about the colonial side of our history, where the Indigenous people are more of an add-on to this bigger colonial story,” she said.

“They’re not looking deep inside at the negative impacts of the colonial past on Indigenous peoples.

“If you think of the Metis, for instance, there’s none of the inclusion of the ways in which the scrip process was flawed (and) in which lands were taken away.”

Dwayne Donald, a University of Alberta associate professor of education focusing on Indigenous curriculum, agreed.

Donald said in the proposed curriculum, the Indigenous experience seems bolted onto a timeline, a box to be checked off. The Indigenous experience suffuses the North American experience, he said, and the curriculum needs to draw on that accumulated wisdom and worldview.

and this:

quote:

Former Grand Chief Wilton Littlechild, a former member on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, says he’s delighted that Alberta was the first province to publicly declare that it was launching its own initiative to develop mandatory curriculum on treaties and residential schools for all students in an age-appropriate way.

“We believed that education, in general, is the key to reconciliation,” said Littlechild.

“I am honoured to be a validator of the new education curriculum and look forward to its transforming and positive change,” he said in a written statement.

LaGrange says Indigenous teachers and elders were involved in the development of the curriculum and “have been able to influence when is the best time to have these conversations.”

talking about the exact same thing and that reads like someone doesn't like the way an important thing is being taught and missing that it is being taught now and that's a pretty important step forward.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

im always raging

against the machine that is :coolfish:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

The only Canadian I've ever heard say "bloody" in the flesh was a prof I had that grew up in Scotland. It's just the standard British affectations = smart belief that rubes know and love.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

true to form of being a massive hypocrite, he never actually drank water with his beef and secretly stocks his fridge full of Irn Bru

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

a master can be the object of everything imo

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

When the government builds a building in Canada the construction documents are in millimetres and then the tradespeople convert that into inches when they start building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Victory Lap posted:

Danielle Smith, Alberta's premier shithead and Conrad Black, kind of a lovely Canadian knock off of Rupert Murdoch because I can't remember his exact crimes.

i was going to correct you on this but i guess he got his citizenship back last year