Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

You don’t have the most successful run in nfl history being a lovely GM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I mean we’ll never know because the number of times the literal greatest quarterback in history has been lottery-balled in the 6th round is 1.

And we’ve established getting him was pure luck.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Belichick also had help being a GM for the first decade. He’s only been team dictator for these later years.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Belichick also had help being a GM for the first decade. He’s only been team dictator for these later years.

His help was Mike Lombardi lmao

E: and wasn't Pioli a pants on the head psycho when he was with the Chiefs?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I have no idea what Pioli did on the Chiefs but was he the one who brought Matt Cassell over? That actually worked for a couple years.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sean10mm posted:

Yes. There were some long form articles about his time in Kansas City that included a story about how he either noticed or intentionally left a candy bar wrapper or some similar small piece of trash in an stairwell or something to see how long before someone else did something about it. I think it was another case where he had players and staff paranoid he had the whole building bugged and poo poo like that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's kind of funny how many former Patriots front office guys are out there.

Jason Licht has been GM of the Buccaneers since 2014. Took awhile with a bunch of mis-steps, but obviously had a pretty successful last few years. Was Director of Player Personnel in NE from 2009-2011

Joe Robinson has been GM of the Titans since 2016. Was Director of College Scouting in NE 2009-2013, obviously successful.

Thomas Dimitroff has been GM of the Falcons since 2008. Was DoCS in NE 2003-2007. Had a good run that's very much over.

Bob Quinn has been GM of the Lions since 2016. Was Director of Pro Scouting in NE 2012-2015. I believe the analysis here is "Oof"

Scott Pioli was... bad on the Chiefs, and has been an assistant GM with the Falcons since 2014, so a good run, then... not so good.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Cam Newton is a Belichick fan!

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Kalli posted:

It's kind of funny how many former Patriots front office guys are out there.

Jason Licht has been GM of the Buccaneers since 2014. Took awhile with a bunch of mis-steps, but obviously had a pretty successful last few years. Was Director of Player Personnel in NE from 2009-2011

Joe Robinson has been GM of the Titans since 2016. Was Director of College Scouting in NE 2009-2013, obviously successful.

Thomas Dimitroff has been GM of the Falcons since 2008. Was DoCS in NE 2003-2007. Had a good run that's very much over.

Bob Quinn has been GM of the Lions since 2016. Was Director of Pro Scouting in NE 2012-2015. I believe the analysis here is "Oof"

Scott Pioli was... bad on the Chiefs, and has been an assistant GM with the Falcons since 2014, so a good run, then... not so good.
To be fair only two of those guys have jobs right now.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What's the lifespan of the typical GM? Most everyone's hanging on 'til the owner gets impatient. Love to see a list of GMs by tenure length.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
This is how things stacked up as of May 2020 (some are now out of a job). The date they took over is listed on the right.

Jerry Jones (Dallas Cowboys): April 18, 1989

Mike Brown (Cincinnati Bengals): August 5, 1991

Bill Belichick (New England Patriots): January 27, 2000

Kevin Colbert (Pittsburgh Steelers): February 18, 2000

Mickey Loomis (New Orleans Saints): May 14, 2002

Rick Spielman (Minnesota Vikings): May 30, 2006

Thomas Dimitroff (Atlanta Falcons): January 13, 2008

John Schneider (Seattle Seahawks): January 19, 2010

Howie Roseman (Philadelphia Eagles): January 29, 2010

John Elway (Denver Broncos): January 5, 2011

Les Snead (St. Louis Rams): February 10, 2012

David Caldwell (Jacksonville Jaguars): January 8, 2013

Steve Keim (Arizona Cardinals): January 8, 2013

Tom Telesco (San Diego Chargers): January 9, 2013

Jason Licht (Tampa Bay Buccaneers): January 21, 2014

Ryan Pace (Chicago Bears): January 8, 2015

Chris Grier (Miami Dolphins): January 4, 2016

Bob Quinn (Detroit Lions): January 8, 2016

Jon Robinson (Tennessee Titans): January 14, 2016

John Lynch (San Francisco 49ers): January 29, 2017

Chris Ballard (Indianapolis Colts): January 30, 2017

Brandon Beane (Buffalo Bills): May 9, 2017

Brett Veach (Kansas City Chiefs): July 11, 2017

Marty Hurney (Carolina Panthers): July 19, 2017

Dave Gettleman (New York Giants): December 28, 2017

Brian Gutekunst (Green Bay Packers): January 7, 2018

Mike Mayock (Oakland Raiders): December 31, 2018

Joe Douglas (New York Jets): June 7, 2019

Eric DeCosta (Baltimore Ravens): January 7, 2019

Ron Rivera (Washington Redskins): January 1, 2020

Andrew Berry (Cleveland Browns): January 27, 2020

Bill O’Brien (Houston Texans): January 28, 2020

CocoaNuts fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 24, 2021

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The first two entries and the last entry on that list are amazing.

Nov 6, 2002

Rick Spielman has really overstayed his welcome! Surrounded by people that won or made Super Bowls on that list.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Rick Spielman has really overstayed his welcome! Surrounded by people that won or made Super Bowls on that list.

I honestly think he's a top 10 gm. Maybe its Stockholm syndrome from 15 years of "they're almost over the hump" but there's not many others I would want over him.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Bill Belichek's end game:

1: get old
2: die

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Slick Rick rules and I hope one year he completes his goal of owning every pick in the 7th round.

:colbert:

Also outside of his 2 most obvious mistakes of Ponder and Laquon Treadwell he has been a very good GM.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Quiet Feet posted:

Bill Belichek's end game:

1: get old
2: die

he’s just like me :)

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

a patagonian cavy posted:

he’s just like me :)

Except for the first part.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Ol' Billy setting himself up to be Coach of the Year? ESPN floating the prospect, and I'm sure they're not alone...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...s-miss-playoffs

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Got a laugh out of this one...

https://twitter.com/amato_mike/status/1468066039908950017

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
And he's making things fun by telegraphing his strategy now (even though the weather conditions on Monday night really left few other options):

https://twitter.com/CourtneyFallon_/status/1468076791529189377

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/1468099653765939204

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Okay that is legitimately funny.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

CocoaNuts posted:

And he's making things fun by telegraphing his strategy now (even though the weather conditions on Monday night really left few other options):

https://twitter.com/CourtneyFallon_/status/1468076791529189377

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/1468099653765939204

turns out this was Belichick's end game the whole time, end the league with the run

funniest coach in sports

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I want Belichick to run the triple option.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I want Belichick to gently caress off forever.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

I want Belichick to gently caress off forever.

You, collectively, allow this to continue. Team was 2-4 and people were questioning whether Belichick would lose his job after the season. Now lmao he’s gonna coach another 4 years and probably retire the moment he needs to pay Mac a real contract.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

In what world would Belichick lose his job that doesn't involve him just retiring whenever he wants? You've been listening to too much WEEI again.

No one except Pats fans want more Belichick. It's like rooting for US Steel. It's rooting for Walmart. It's rooting for the school bully and then telling the victims that they should just fight back harder.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lol, Belichick would never be fired, come on man.

Nov 6, 2002

I think Belichick is currently 28 games behind Shula's win record (including playoffs). Let's say the Pats win 2 more this year and that slips to 26. He'd need probably at least 3 seasons more to top Shula. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what he's aiming for before retiring.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That'd also get him the record for oldest head coach, so yeah I could see that being his plan.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kalli posted:

That'd also get him the record for oldest head coach, so yeah I could see that being his plan.
I hope if that's a record he actually wants then some franchise just immediately hires the almost corpse of Marv Levy just out of spite. Do it Bills.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Thinking this belichick guy is a good coach

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

In what world would Belichick lose his job that doesn't involve him just retiring whenever he wants? You've been listening to too much WEEI again.

No one except Pats fans want more Belichick. It's like rooting for US Steel. It's rooting for Walmart. It's rooting for the school bully and then telling the victims that they should just fight back harder.

I have not listened to WEEI once in my life.

Anyway the point was that after a 7-9 season if Belichick spent $250 million in free agency and drafted a first round QB only to somehow do worse do you really think ownership wouldn’t be pretty upset?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Radio talking heads, Shimrra Jamaane main source of takes, were suggesting that if the Pats had another bad year that Bill might be on the hot seat because he spent an assload of Krafts money to no results, had been drafting poorly, and still didn't have a QB

Instead basically all the guys they signed are playing well, seemed to have drafted well the last two years, and as a result of that got a QB again. They still have some holes to fill on offense but he re-tooled the team fairly quickly

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Radio talking heads, Shimrra Jamaane main source of takes, were suggesting that if the Pats had another bad year that Bill might be on the hot seat because he spent an assload of Krafts money to no results, had been drafting poorly, and still didn't have a QB

Instead basically all the guys they signed are playing well, seemed to have drafted well the last two years, and as a result of that got a QB again. They still have some holes to fill on offense but he re-tooled the team fairly quickly

And they were right. The drafting between 2014-2020 was really bad. It’s just that Belichick proved he did the right thing this past offseason with his many uncharacteristic moves. He went all in and it paid off.

See, when you do bad at a job you get in trouble with your boss. But, and here me out, when you do well then your boss, and the fans, trust you again.

Nov 6, 2002

Nodoze posted:

Next year is going to be a big challenge on the defensive side because that old core of players are gonna be toast, also JC Jackson is gonna have to be paid a zillion dollars or replaced.

Nov 6, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

See, when you do bad at a job you get in trouble with your boss. But, and here me out, when you do well then your boss, and the fans, trust you again.

The point is that ...

quote:

people were questioning whether Belichick would lose his job after the season

Is baloney. Nobody but dolts ever thought Belichick would be fired. He could go 2-15 for the next three years and not get fired.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyway the point was that after a 7-9 season if Belichick spent $250 million in free agency and drafted a first round QB only to somehow do worse do you really think ownership wouldn’t be pretty upset?
I don't think there's anything Bill could do to get fired other than directly implicate Kraft in more sex trafficking. Cut off his ability to get hand jobs from elderly Asian ladies and maybe it ruffles some feathers. The football side he'd be fine on.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Next year is going to be a big challenge on the defensive side because that old core of players are gonna be toast, also JC Jackson is gonna have to be paid a zillion dollars or replaced.

I think Jackson will probably get tagged, but the cap is supposed to go up a good amount so maybe they will just pay him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Also it’s now “common knowledge” that after the Dallas loss Bill went “gently caress this, my rear end is getting embarrassed” and took total control of the defense for the first time in a while. Because prior to that it was his son Steve with Mayo being some kind of unclear assistant.