Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

agreed thefluff’s dad owns. I hope my kids see me like that when i’m old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

lived to penetrate my mother.

met all expectations thx

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

dadupdate - he's got more lung damage than anyone else in the icu but he's on the mend and not at risk of demise. they want to bring him out of his coma by next weekend. however, he may end up with a tracheotomy and remain on mechanical ventilation through the front of his neck.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i haven't spoken to my dad in over twenty years. when my parents divorced i stayed at the house with my mom; he gave me his new number and told me, an adolescent, that if i wanted to stay in touch it was on me

well, if you think i'm an awkward goober now, i was a complete dipshit in my early teens. (and if you think i'm a complete dipshit today, well, i was worse back then.) and the whole divorce had been a gigantic awkward mess for me (and rough on my mom at any rate). and i'd never been really comfortable talking to him. so reaching out was hard, and i didn't talk to him for like a couple of weeks, and of course by that point i got all anxious about "oh god it's been so long, he's probably gonna be upset/disappointed i didn't call him already" which made me even more nervous to call him.

then he called the house and asked for my mother. keep in mind i'd hardly ever spoken to him on the phone to begin with. i didn't immediately recognize him and asked who it was. his response was like a few seconds of silence followed by "jesus, she's already turned you against me" or something like that. i was absolutely mortified. i never tried calling him after that and he never called me.

this ate at me until i was eighteen and at the family reunion (on my dad's side, where my mom kept getting invited and my dad never showed up again) i related all this to a couple of my uncles and they were good enough to reassure me that seeing as he was the parent, it was his responsibility to reach out to me, not the other way around. this was a weight off my shoulders.

anyway, i didn't worry about it after that. i used to think that if he ever decided to reach out to me i'd at least hear him out, but after the way he mishandled his mother's palliative care after her stroke and deliberately mismanaged her estate as a last parting shot to his sister, i'm honestly not sure i'm at all interested in hearing from him again.

some past dad stories/facts i've previously posted which some of you may recall:

- admitted he watched nascar for the crashes
- suggested that a more sensible approach to grilled cheese sandwiches would be to use the microwave
- confidently predicted that one of my cousins (i think when they were still under ten years old??) would never amount to anything and that any attempt to educate him would be a waste. my cousin's done well since then.
- called me into his room and drunkenly asked me to play on my trombone along with the star wars soundtrack he had playing at full blast on his stereo, then being disappointed when a twelve year old boy with only a couple years experience on the trombone failed to intuit the score on the fly
- blew thousands of dollars in an effort to build a big (like 1:4) scale steam locomotive
- mom found him drunk in his home office with a loaded shotgun and he said it was to protect himself from us
- arrested for DUI while wearing a toby keith shirt (then arrested a second time for contempt of court, "probably for mouthing off to the judge" per my mom lol)
- got into Star Citizen at some point lmbo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mr. Nice! posted:

he's on the mend and not at risk of demise.

great.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

some past dad stories/facts i've previously posted which some of you may recall:

- suggested that a more sensible approach to grilled cheese sandwiches would be to use the microwave

- called me into his room and drunkenly asked me to play on my trombone along with the star wars soundtrack he had playing at full blast on his stereo, then being disappointed when a twelve year old boy with only a couple years experience on the trombone failed to intuit the score on the fly
- blew thousands of dollars in an effort to build a big (like 1:4) scale steam locomotive

- got into Star Citizen at some point lmbo

lol

that thing about ‘you have turned my family against me’ is a big theme for my dad too. total narcissism/persecution complex

in my experience a lot of boomer men are royally hosed up. they bought into the counterculture narrative of the 60s and 70s, bought into the individualism of neoliberalism in the 80s, and have had this way inflated sense of entitlement ever since

great to hear your dad is on the mend, Mr Nice

git apologist fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 26, 2020

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my dad is vaguely thinking about upgrading his dual 2009/10 imac setup

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

???

this is the only reason why anyone watches nascar. It's just a long fast left turn otherwise.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

My dad bought a real train and kept it in the garage, we went to a quarry to pick it up. Awesome and stupid.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i said this in cjs but im also saying it here. i got the dadliest watch today

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

how often do you use the calculator?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rotor posted:

???

this is the only reason why anyone watches nascar. It's just a long fast left turn otherwise.

a person who doesn’t watch it for the crashes is a real psychopath

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

how often do you use the calculator?

probably never

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:same:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

my dad worked for IBM in the late 70s/early 80s and has used computers since then but he absolutely point blank refuses to ever read instructions or try and solve a computer problem if not immediately obvious, which is why I had to explain how to drag windows around the desktop over the phone the other day because he somehow didn't know you could do that and just got wound up about how Windows wasn't magically moving things to his second monitor

I think this is worse than my mum not knowing you could close tabs on her ipad and complaining it was slow

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 26, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I think a probably defining moment that put me onto a path as a computer toucher was my dad losing his temper trying to set up a dial up modem because you had to put a pause in the dial to connect on the lovely phone line and him refusing to read the help file and storming off.

turns out reading the docs is a super power and one comma later and it all worked, so now I get called with all the questions

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my dad’s computer abilities are limited to using a web browser, where he types in the site he wants to go to into the google search box and double-clicks on links

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
my dad's too old school and too used to working alone to use source control. i can kinda sorta understand that because his career was basically winding down by the time git was getting widespread adoption, but still, i couldn't imagine being without it

he also chose a somewhat nonconventional starting point for teaching me programming when i was in grade school, by starting me off with regular expressions. i tell this as a funny story but today i think it was actually kind of a genius move for introducing a child to programming concepts - you can get immediate feedback, it's useful for practical tasks right from the get-go, and it teaches symbolic representation immediately without ever introducing the concept of a variable. to this day i'm "the regex guy" at work.

beyond that though he never really tried to push me into learning programming. he'd be happy to show me things if i asked and encouraged me playing around for as long as i had fun, and he always tried to get me interested in various oddball projects he had going on (and to this day he sometimes calls me up to talk about ethercat or diy nautical chart plotters or whatever) but he never tried to actually sit me down to teach me programming. in hindsight i think he did the right thing there.

don't think i'd like to work with him because his skillset and way of working is really dated, but he's one hell of a computer problem slayer because he just never ever gives up and keeps researching and shaving yaks until he's found the root cause. just this week he told me he managed to trace down a "computer randomly shuts down after an hour" issue to some random rear end firmware issue on a crucial ssd that would appear after 5184 operating hours. idk if i'd ever figured that out myself. whenever i have hardware left over from an upgrade or other i usually pass it on to him because he'll put it to good use in some friend's machine. i don't think he's bought a single actually brand new computer in 20 years. he can definitely be a bit penny wise, pound foolish though.

also i'll never forgive him for throwing out his macintosh IIfx, i wanted that thing goddamnit

i guess i'm kinda gushing about how awesome my dad is huh
he could not beat up your dad but i bet he's nicer than yours

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 26, 2020

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
sounds like he's a lot more alive too, thats a nice bonus

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

my dad’s computer abilities are limited to using a web browser, where he types in the site he wants to go to into the google search box and double-clicks on links

old people double clicking everything is a powerful feeling

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis posted:

old people double clicking everything is a powerful feeling

https://twitter.com/grthink/status/1114468451316379649?s=20

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

sometimes i feel like my dad and charles boyce would be soul mates, because I notice a lot of similarities in their style of humor. It's like they look for weird associations between the tech world and non-tech world, and try to force it into a joke through a really convoluted thought process that only they are aware of. he also does some really cliche boomer poo poo. i was visiting my parents this weekend and setting up a roku box in the basement for my mom.

my dad goes "i thought that TV already had internet"
me, an absolute idiot, assuming he thinks it's a smart TV or something: no, this is an older TV, it doesn't have any internet hookups.
dad: well we had it hooked up to the internet before.
me, cluing in that he means that we used to have it hooked up to a cable box, and since the same telco provides them with both internet and cable TV services, it's all just "the internet" to him: oh. no. mom bought this little box so she can watch netflix down here.
dad: *grumbles something about my mom always buying things without him knowing*

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 26, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Lee Child is 100% taking the piss now it's hilarious

my sister's met him a few times and says he's pretty cool

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
power dad energy here

https://twitter.com/kennethlogins/status/1319587713276923905?s=21

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
my dad died 4.5 years ago from cancer and it still really sucks. i’ve said it before but he went from cancer diagnosis to pushing up daisies in 10 months flat. he effectively aged 20 years due to chemo about 2-3 months in. being there for him and seeing that kind of ruined all memories of him for me, even today

one of the tougher parts is that he and i did not end on particularly great terms. my sister was broken up bad when he passed because they were best friends and talked on the phone every day. i worked with him but we were never friends and we never will be now

anyway not everyone can fix their dad relationship but imo you’ll regret not not trying if there’s a decent shot there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
😕 mate

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

my friend and i were in another friend's attic because we were 12 and dumb. guy falls through after missing his step and lands conveniently in the big comfy tv chair. i climb down after. my dad fixed the ceiling for my friend because his mom couldn't have afforded to do so herself and didn't want to call her ex husband for help.

he's doing better. he's still fighting off the bilateral pneumonia and very much on a ventilator, but his numbers are steadily improving. it is possible that he gets to come out of his coma this weekend, although he may end up with a tracheotomy and remain on ventilation that way.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

he's doing better. he's still fighting off the bilateral pneumonia and very much on a ventilator, but his numbers are steadily improving. it is possible that he gets to come out of his coma this weekend, although he may end up with a tracheotomy and remain on ventilation that way.
hoping for the best for you, nice. the icu is a gently caress

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Uptime Sinclair posted:

my dad died 4.5 years ago from cancer and it still really sucks. i’ve said it before but he went from cancer diagnosis to pushing up daisies in 10 months flat. he effectively aged 20 years due to chemo about 2-3 months in. being there for him and seeing that kind of ruined all memories of him for me, even today

one of the tougher parts is that he and i did not end on particularly great terms. my sister was broken up bad when he passed because they were best friends and talked on the phone every day. i worked with him but we were never friends and we never will be now

anyway not everyone can fix their dad relationship but imo you’ll regret not not trying if there’s a decent shot there

this is the exact reason that i didn't once poo poo on my dad for being a dingus and getting himself sick. the moment i found out about his diagnosis, i broke the mostly silence between us and we bullshitted about van halen and poo poo until he went under. i hope i get the chance to tap on his o2 tank with a stick, ask him how making america great worked out for him, and give him a hug. if the worst case does happen, i'm happy with the time we had together at the end.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

sorry for crapping up your thread lol

my dad was in the icu for i want to say a month and a half or two (time passes strangely when you’re hanging out in an icu for two days out of three) and that was probably the worst part that wasn’t the night he died. the hospital stays I thought were bad as they were but the icu, gently caress

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Uptime Sinclair posted:

hoping for the best for you, nice. the icu is a gently caress

we're lucky he went to the hospital a couple of weeks ago. the icus in his area are full now. he probably wouldn't have got a spot if he arrived today.

doctor said he's the most damaged person in there lung wise but nowhere near the biggest risk of death, so we're hopeful that he's gonna pull through albeit with significant disability.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

this is the exact reason that i didn't once poo poo on my dad for being a dingus and getting himself sick. the moment i found out about his diagnosis, i broke the mostly silence between us and we bullshitted about van halen and poo poo until he went under. i hope i get the chance to tap on his o2 tank with a stick, ask him how making america great worked out for him, and give him a hug. if the worst case does happen, i'm happy with the time we had together at the end.
you did your future self a solid and you’re a good son from the sounds of it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Slippery Tilde

lmao

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

I was fourteen when my parents bought me my first computer, so the wife and I have been raising our son in virtual reality since 2016.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Uptime Sinclair posted:

sorry for crapping up your thread lol

nah man, you didn’t. kinda thought it would just be interesting anecdotes but kinda feel it’s turned into something bit more valuable than that. i’m glad we’re sharing tbh

Mr. Nice! posted:

broke the mostly silence between us and we bullshitted about van halen and poo poo

mate .. this hits me. I just don’t know how to do with this my dad, coz he’s always so contrary with his terrible closed minded music opinions. I told him to watch the video where danny carey drums pneuma and he watched a minute of it while reading the comments and then said neil peart from rush was better even tho he never listened to rush and doesn’t realise danny carey is such good friend with neil that he played at neils tribute after he died, and danny is clearly good enough to be in neils company. his attitude that stuff was better in the 70s and that it’s basically impossible to improve on it and is closed minded to anything else. gently caress don’t get me started 🤬 he pisses me off so much lol

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

whenever my brother and I were in the car with my dad, one of us kids would turn on the radio to listen to some music. this would last about 1-2 minutes until my dad inevitably would quietly reach over and switch off the dial and we would sit in silence.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

nah man, you didn’t. kinda thought it would just be interesting anecdotes but kinda feel it’s turned into something bit more valuable than that. i’m glad we’re sharing tbh
oh i’ve got anecdotes at least

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my dad never had a father and lived in orphanages and moved dozens and dozens of times. when he had us he committed himself to have one home and never move, and that home was always open and we could always stay. that was excellent to be fair. shame he never really adjusted any other part of his parenting. he lived his life for himself. motorcycling every other weekend and fishing whenever he wasn’t. remember when I first had kids and he told me I should find a hobby to escape the family. he’s also told me he felt like an outsider in our family but that’s his own doing not my mum’s like he says. whenever my mum is talking to me he listens in the background and groans every 3 seconds at her. it’s so disrespectful. then my mum might tease him about something, and he’ll storm out complaining about put downs. he’s so loving useless. my mum hurt her hip and had to use a crutch to move around. did my dad offer to do the lawns? no she did them. when she broke her hip and it was still healing, he pissed off and did some bullshit and let her move the house by herself which damaged her healing hip. she cooks all the meals and he just complains like he’s meant to be a critic. her life will improve so much when he dies. he left her for another woman and when it didn’t work out he came back and she let him. she’s made a rod for her own back that way. then he moved out by himself and had to get a loan and she was the guarantoor for that for some reason. he then realised he can’t do anything for himself and then moved back home with debt. he owns an old toyota 4runner which has done almost 400k km and the repairs are getting so expensive that my mum has to end up paying because they have seperate money but he wastes all his money on coffee at a cafe far away that’s basically like cheers but a cafe. i’ve inherited terrible money skills from him. he mocks my kids haircuts. he calls them pansies if they get hurt and cry. he’s unashamedly homophobic. he believes the indigenous people here should have a day a year of being thankful to the whites for improving their lives. gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

my parents were born in the 50s in the canadian maritimes, very provincial as it were

for their honeymoon they drove down to old orchard beach in maine. my dad’s family had always gone down but my mom had never left the country before. so she’d never heard of toll booths

my dad told my mom that for $0.25 automatic toll booths you have to yell "CHANGE" while tossing your coins if you aren't using a quarter or else they don't work

he let her go on doing that for years before telling her he was just loving with her. no moral