Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Twenty minutes in, had to stop watching because I couldn't control my laughter in the pro-life dude's office.

Is :nice:

The amazing part about that scene is how they manage to make it sound worse and worse with each line, forcing him to still try and defend himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Watched this film last night.

I'm very surprised just how good this film was. It's arguably as good as the first.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

massive spider posted:

You can clearly tell they're in on it from the way the scene is shot, it feels like a special guest cameo scene from a sitcom.

Yeah I don't know how anyone doesn't get they're in on it. He walks in as the most ridiculous antisemitic caricature and they just say oh hello. I'm still seeing people on Twitter acting like they were the butt of the joke rather than antisemites being the ones being mocked.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm very surprised just how good this film was. It's arguably as good as the first.

Agreed on both counts. It's been a while since a movie got me to laugh out loud while I was watching it alone and there were a couple bits that got me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ghost Leviathan posted:

SBC may be the only person alive capable of actually mocking Donald Trump

It says a lot that back in the day, Trump had enough wits to see that Ali G was trying to take him for a ride and shut down. In 2020 we see someone in his close circle get easily compromised in the space of about 30 minutes. Trump would probably have given her the nuclear codes if they got close enough.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

It says a lot that back in the day, Trump had enough wits to see that Ali G was trying to take him for a ride and shut down.

This is what Trump claims but Cohen said Trump actually stayed with him for seven minutes which is longer than his typical Ali G interviews lasted. I think only a couple minutes made it onto the show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah interesting, I only ever saw the cut that made the show. He obviously has zero interest in being there, maybe had nothing to do with thinking he was being taken for a mug and just couldn’t see how this would increase his profile in a market he cared about.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Agreed on both counts. It's been a while since a movie got me to laugh out loud while I was watching it alone and there were a couple bits that got me.

The female birthing procedure got me good.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I feel like it’s kind of slept on because the viewer is still reeling from the horror of what led up to it, but “Rudy, Trump will be disappoint! You are leaving hotel without golden shower!” is an amazing line.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I don't know how anyone doesn't get they're in on it. He walks in as the most ridiculous antisemitic caricature and they just say oh hello. I'm still seeing people on Twitter acting like they were the butt of the joke rather than antisemites being the ones being mocked.

It seems like most of the people in both movies have an understanding that they’re participating in some kind of media interview. They’re obviously sitting there waiting for a media crew and an interview. What’s not clear is what they’re expecting or what Cohen has told them beforehand. I agree that the old ladies there know that he’s not serious because otherwise they’d be calling the cops or running the hell out of there.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I thought Borat aged poorly and my sensibilities matured, but upon watching of Borat 2, I realized that actually reality aged just badly

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Wow, they got into the White House and didn't even use any of it

I have a feeling they were trying to cap the movie with the daughter in her new reporter job interacting with Trump at the White House, but she never got to ask a question and they scrapped it

Also if the release date was pushed back a month or two, they could have added the narrative that Borat gave Trump COVID

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's probably also worth noting that the first movie never stopped being loving hilarious either, it only "aged badly" in the sense that a lot of unfunny idiots started quoting it nonstop

much like monty python and the holy grail, however, unfunny idiots quoting the movie didn't actually make the movie less funny

the loving bear in the ice cream truck kills me every time, and the naked fight is some GOAT poo poo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The original film is one of my all-time favorite theater experiences. I went to see it alone, and the shifting atmospheres of tense discomfort and cathartic release were more palpable than I’ve seen anywhere. The laughter at the bear was incredible because it discharged all the uncertainty and horror at either the frat boys in the van or the rodeo guy who wants to exterminate all gay people—I don’t remember the order of the scenes any more.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Eh, it was okay but the pacing felt kind of weird. I thought the movie was going to end at like 30 minutes in. The first movie was a lot better and felt tighter as far as its concept and execution. The Giuliani thing wasn’t even that wild really.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like both of them a lot, but the first film is definitely better imo. Basically every bit in Borat 1 is a home run. And there is just a lot more of them. Like someone said earlier, in Borat 1 the story serves the bits, in 2 it's vise versa. There were definitely a few duds, like the ridiculous trump costume was one my most anticipated sketches, but it just turned out he went to CPAC dressed as Trump and got kicked out immediately. And the Guiliani thing was good but I think it got a little too hyped up in advance and my expectations were too high. Outside of that though, I thought it was mostly great.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The CPAC thing worked by having Pence say that ridiculous poo poo about COVID that looks even worse in hindsight. Also showing up to the Gaylord in a Klan outfit saying "don't worry I'm Stephen Miller" was even better.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fair enough. That scene wasn't without it's funny moments and Pence's stupid comments about COVID were a trip, but I was expecting more than just a mad dash around the auditorium before getting booted.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Borat's daughter was fantastic in this.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

It would be wild that someone would react so kindly to a dude in an antisemitic disguise, so they must have been on it, but even if they weren't, she is such a nice person towards a clear antisemitic parody, that I can't see her being the butt of a joke.

Also, I wish they had time to say that Borat gave COVID to Trump through Rudy.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Probably for me the best thing in this was the daughter getting legit mad at her father for the $500 comment. That was a great real people moment, a future Karen of the world.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

radlum posted:

It would be wild that someone would react so kindly to a dude in an antisemitic disguise, so they must have been on it, but even if they weren't, she is such a nice person towards a clear antisemitic parody, that I can't see her being the butt of a joke.

Also, I wish they had time to say that Borat gave COVID to Trump through Rudy.

According to her family who is suing Amazon, she was told it was an interview for a documentary.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

it's probably also worth noting that the first movie never stopped being loving hilarious either, it only "aged badly" in the sense that a lot of unfunny idiots started quoting it nonstop

much like monty python and the holy grail, however, unfunny idiots quoting the movie didn't actually make the movie less funny

the loving bear in the ice cream truck kills me every time, and the naked fight is some GOAT poo poo

I have never laughed harder at a movie than I did the bear. Holy poo poo.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I have never laughed harder at a movie than I did the bear. Holy poo poo.

Just rewatched it on youtube and laughed for a minute straight

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

AHH F/UGH posted:

Eh, it was okay but the pacing felt kind of weird. I thought the movie was going to end at like 30 minutes in. The first movie was a lot better and felt tighter as far as its concept and execution. The Giuliani thing wasn’t even that wild really.

I wonder what effect covid had on what they originally planned vs what they got. It's the weirdest year to make a film like this. As a comedy it wont age well but it will stand as a historical document of how stupid 2020 is.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I want more of the Trump - Melania faux Disney cartoon.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Groovelord Neato posted:

The CPAC thing worked by having Pence say that ridiculous poo poo about COVID that looks even worse in hindsight. Also showing up to the Gaylord in a Klan outfit saying "don't worry I'm Stephen Miller" was even better.

I'm loving these "Oh holy poo poo that was Borat" moments.

https://twitter.com/SavinTheBees/status/1320078716702056448?s=20

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Secks posted:

I'm loving these "Oh holy poo poo that was Borat" moments.

Call me nuts but am I the only one who thought that wasn't actually SBC? He looked too short and the audio was pretty obviously overdubbed.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Call me nuts but am I the only one who thought that wasn't actually SBC? He looked too short and the audio was pretty obviously overdubbed.

I think it was him but they must have dubbed him to put the accent back in. When he says "You're fired" to Pence it sounds like a different voice.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

spaceblancmange posted:

I wonder what effect covid had on what they originally planned vs what they got. It's the weirdest year to make a film like this. As a comedy it wont age well but it will stand as a historical document of how stupid 2020 is.

you could see a bit by the way they filmed some of the later scenes how much it affect just minor stuff, when hes talking to the Premier in the hallway it only shows one of them at a time, also Borat & daughter are green screened into the running of the americans

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

AHH F/UGH posted:

He said in an interview that he had to get like 3 hours of make-up done for the Trump costume then hide in a bathroom for 5 hours. The KKK guy is clearly not in a fat suit so they either did that scene the day before or it was another member of the production team.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wife and I watched Borat 1 & 2 back to back tonight. Got in some pretty good laughs, and lots of shocked moments. For Borat 2, I think my favorite parts were the doctor getting asked to give an abortion, the ball dance sequence, especially with the old man talking about selling women, and of course the period blood, the Olympia, WA covid-19 sequence with the QAnon people and then the protest (did anyone else catch the Hitler salute in there?), and finally the ending act was great. Tutar Sagdiyev was a great character. I loved the humor, and social commentary she brought to the film. Her naïve innocence played off perfect with Borat's misogyny and exposes how unsafe American society is for women.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Senator Drinksalot posted:

He said in an interview that he had to get like 3 hours of make-up done for the Trump costume then hide in a bathroom for 5 hours. The KKK guy is clearly not in a fat suit so they either did that scene the day before or it was another member of the production team.

The suit was hidden under the kkk robe

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I keep going back and forth between hating and loving the Giuliani scene. how skeezy and reptilian Giuliani was really struck me in the stomach. just absolutely nausea inducing. I don't know if I could rewatch that scene, it felt so horrible.

I think that's the sign of brilliance though, for SBC to manage to remake Borat (of all things) and have it be nearly as good. I was truly expecting a lovely comedy sequel filled with lazy Trump jokes.

(just please keep Bruno retired SBC)

e: oh and Maria Bakalova just absolutely slayed. I really hope she has a career ahead of her, because I want more of her.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The spitroast creampie phone gag was terrific.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
Watched it on Friday and it is without a doubt the best film all year.

With every other film delaying to 2021, it would be hilarious to see this get nominated for an Oscar.

Eararaldor fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 25, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

massive spider posted:

The babysitter is a ray of light in this dark world.

Agreed, she is wonderful

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I’m 50/50 on whether Giuliani was actually dick wagging, but it’s clear that if that situation had gone on another couple minutes that his pants would’ve been off.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, the thing about the Rudy scene is that it's really indefensible. Cool and good. You don't need to take your dick out, all the touching and walking to the bedroom and poo poo is enough to be skeeved out. This dude automatically got on the bed like he's done many times before in this sitch.
I'm considering re-watching the first one, but thinking that GW was the worst poo poo ever really makes me wish for that simpler time.

To me, it doesn't even have to be Borat, necessarily. I understand the character and the why. SBC in costumes getting people to say their actual reprehensible feelings is enough shock and awe for me. You could cut all the "story" out of this movie and have it be 2 hours of undercover trolling and I'm there anyway.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 25, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blue Raider posted:

I’m 50/50 on whether Giuliani was actually dick wagging, but it’s clear that if that situation had gone on another couple minutes that his pants would’ve been off.

I'm in the "he was tucking his shirt in" camp but him patting her on the side when she removed the mic was super creepy.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm in the "he was tucking his shirt in" camp but him patting her on the side when she removed the mic was super creepy.

"You can give me your phone number and address"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I've only seen it once, but does she flirt with him at all? I read that she touches his thighs, but I don't remember that.

I remember her talking about how excited she is to be interviewing him and stuff. Does she give any indication that she is interested in him in that way? I know she invites him to her hotel room, but that's for the interview and there's even a crew member (Borat) there. Was Rudy basically about to Louie CK her? Or was she leading him on in a badger game-ish way?