Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even if he wasn’t actually playing with his dick (something I’m not even sure of) he was 100% creeping on her.

Even if it was edited to hell and back and they baited him as much as possible. That was still a man who thought he was about to get laid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

It's been impossible for me to access the Q&A :sad:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The stuff with the fax machine guy is completely pointless because the guy has to be in on it, and his presence doesn’t add anything beyond plot, which is pointless in a movie like this.

I like that the header you can see on the faxes says +7 which is the genuine Kazakh international code.

Even if they give the marks some BS stories as to why things will happen, it’s still really fun and the stuff that we know is scripted is funny anyway.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The stuff with the fax machine guy is completely pointless because the guy has to be in on it, and his presence doesn’t add anything beyond plot, which is pointless in a movie like this.

Honestly, I got the vibe that one was just a really, really elaborate bit. The guy's :psyduck: reactions to everything seemed genuine.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

I disagree, the fax as text bit had me DYIN when the first reply was "sup? With a question mark."

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I found this strangely endearing and heartfelt. Some genuine people are dropped into the madness and pull it off gracefully. The scene with Judith is as insane as it is human.

I love Fax Machine Guy. I love bits.

Guiliani was definitely tucking in his shirt and then adjusting a Hollywood Loaf.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

PT6A posted:

The film was amazing, definitely stronger than the first one both in terms of the laughs and the way everything fit into a cohesive plot.

i actually haven't seen the first movie since maybe 2007 at the latest, but i still remember ridiculous stuff like "what's up vanilla face"

i liked this movie, but i still think the first one will be more memorable to me.

again on the fax machine bit: i bet his store was scouted out for someone like him.

cardedagain fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 23, 2020

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just finished it. Pretty drat good.

I liked the quick Spider-Man 3 nod when he first searches for something on the phone.

Edit: I just had the credits running and Amazon decided, "Up next: Midsommar!"

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 23, 2020

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The mayor of the US was definitely adjusting a boner. Too old to do it in one swipe.

I love that the point of this is that the current U.S. is worse than Borats fictional character.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fantastic ending, wawawewa. Definitely in the upper echelons of comedy sequels, and I’m guessing everyone was basically given ‘reality show’ type explanations for the weirdness for them to buy into, as everyone is so used to that now. Can’t wait for some of the marks to react publicly in the best ways.

Great to see Peter Baynam’s name in the writing credits, a rare treat these days.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
The qanon/quarantine guys had to be in on it, right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the way these things work, just going off of watching a bunch of similar comedy and what I have heard Nathan fielder talk about, is not so much that people are in on it, and more that they are more aware than they appear on film. After all, there is a film crew following them around. it's not like it's candid. I don't think people's reactions/interactions are fake, but who knows what the producers told them and it will be edited to be as funny as possible. Even if it shuffles things around and changes their context.

Nathan said they basically try to script the show as much as possible by predicting how people react, but the reactions aren't scripted.

I think SBC stuff is the same way unless it's obviously scripted stuff that isn't even trying to fool you. With stuff like the Qanon guys, or the babysitter I assume they are to some extent legit, but they were probably paid and coached to some degree.

I also think the Qanon guys were portrayed pretty sympathetically. They believed some terrible poo poo, but weren't really awful people. Just brainwashed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also I think the cabin they stay at belonged (or was rented and furnished by) the film crew, and didn’t actually belong to them. They probably responded to a request for a reality show and they fit the criteria for what they knew would get the results they needed. Also if one person/group doesn’t respond the way they want, reshoot with other people until you do.

Also the people saying the end credits has a gut punch, I was totally expecting a silly scene showing Borat being imprisoned again or something. gently caress.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I hated it. I was deciding whether to place it above or below Zoolander 2 while I was watching it, and by the end it was definitely below.

I have never found Sacha Baron Cohen funny with the exception of Borat 1, which is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I remember him making up some bullshit about how he created Borat as a way to expose the anti-Semitism in America, which is obviously him just trying to pretend that he is a superior for making money off of Jew jokes while admonishing the people who give him money for his Jew jokes. I think that everything he has ever done is mean spirited, and he happened to fluke on Borat 1 by accidentally making a character so innocent and charming that the Borat character was able to defeat Sacha's malicious intentions for one movie. A mistake that Sacha Baron Cohen corrected with Borat 2.

I also found it tiresome that he went the late night talk show route of pointing to Republicans to get the mandatory laughter. Combine that with the "look at these current events" cringefest at the end with mansplaining, and the Karens, and other low-hanging fruit; and I feel like I was stuck on my worst friend's facebook page for two hours.

Overall, I didn't feel like I was watching Borat the character. I felt like I was watching Sacha Baron Cohen himself proudly plan his hilarious scheme to fart on his sister like a kid who was whispering too loud. And after he had farted on his sister, I had to watch him again proudly come up with his next plan of... farting on his sister.

I will end this review with the only line that got a laugh out of me.
the perverts have to be medical personnel

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 23, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everyone is entitled to their terrible opinions I guess.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

I remember him making up some bullshit about how he created Borat as a way to expose the anti-Semitism in America, which is obviously him just trying to pretend that he is a superior for making money off of Jew jokes while admonishing the people who give him money for his Jew jokes.

Wawaweewa.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The daughter, Maria Bakalova, loving killed it holy poo poo. Her and SBC are like the all stars are loving with people. The abortion clinic and ball scene were unbelievable. Amazed they kept a straight face.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Giuliani might or might not have been tucking in his shirt but it really looked like he thought he was getting lucky

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Azamat Bagatov is Kazakstan head chair.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I hated it. I was deciding whether to place it above or below Zoolander 2 while I was watching it, and by the end it was definitely below.

I have never found Sacha Baron Cohen funny with the exception of Borat 1, which is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I remember him making up some bullshit about how he created Borat as a way to expose the anti-Semitism in America, which is obviously him just trying to pretend that he is a superior for making money off of Jew jokes while admonishing the people who give him money for his Jew jokes. I think that everything he has ever done is mean spirited, and he happened to fluke on Borat 1 by accidentally making a character so innocent and charming that the Borat character was able to defeat Sacha's malicious intentions for one movie. A mistake that Sacha Baron Cohen corrected with Borat 2.

I also found it tiresome that he went the late night talk show route of pointing to Republicans to get the mandatory laughter. Combine that with the "look at these current events" cringefest at the end with mansplaining, and the Karens, and other low-hanging fruit; and I feel like I was stuck on my worst friend's facebook page for two hours.

Overall, I didn't feel like I was watching Borat the character. I felt like I was watching Sacha Baron Cohen himself proudly plan his hilarious scheme to fart on his sister like a kid who was whispering too loud. And after he had farted on his sister, I had to watch him again proudly come up with his next plan of... farting on his sister.

I will end this review with the only line that got a laugh out of me.
the perverts have to be medical personnel

Sacha Baron Cohen is a Jew that is against Zionism that wrote his Cambridge thesis on the American Civil Rights movement, as far as your ideas of his goals are.

Also, the Borat character existed like 10 years before the movie and did like 30 setups as just that character before the movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, Borat is another character intended to break peoples walls down and let them say some reprehensible poo poo. All the while SBC is cracking some amazing jokes and staying in character.

"What is a grape??"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_S-BmQ4KF0

Here Borat talks about "chocolate faces" and killing his wife.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnqgmgOJ4iI

"Women cannot think!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJBVEfY015o

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 23, 2020

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

frogbs posted:

The qanon/quarantine guys had to be in on it, right?

There's a credit for the crew who dressed the "quarantine house" so it was definitely set up.
I bet they were genuine enough, but thought they were in some kind of reality TV show.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 23, 2020

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
One of my favorite bits in this movie was a subtle moment where the QAnon guys say that democrats should have "less rights" and then SBC out-of-character looks at the camera with an expression of disbelief before sliding right back into Borat with a "HIGH FIIVE!". Even if those guys were somewhat in on it, that bit was at least unscripted. The best SBC bits are the ones where even he's amazed with what he can draw out of people.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I still can't get over the loving debutante ball scene. Not even the movie's prank on it, but just the fact that it's a thing that exists. People unironically cosplaying some weird take on 19th century aristocracy is just :psyduck:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Perestroika posted:

I still can't get over the loving debutante ball scene. Not even the movie's prank on it, but just the fact that it's a thing that exists. People unironically cosplaying some weird take on 19th century aristocracy is just :psyduck:

Look up documentaries about Purity Balls. :wtc:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Perestroika posted:

There are daddy/daughter balls far creepier than the one they went to.

edit:

Neo Rasa posted:

Look up documentaries about Purity Balls. :wtc:

Yup.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, the debutant party hosed me up the most. I could not believe that was a thing. Reminded me of like some loving vampire cult. Rich white idiots doing this bullshit.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I knew about debutante balls, the thing that surprised me was that there are "trophy wife consultants" or whatever that teach young women how to appeal to creepy old men.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think that everything he has ever done is mean spirited

You don't think he gave time to those synagogue ladies in the genuine wish to relay their message?

I know her family is embarrassed for her and trying to sue, but who knows what she actually thought of it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

The daughter, Maria Bakalova, loving killed it holy poo poo. Her and SBC are like the all stars are loving with people. The abortion clinic and ball scene were unbelievable. Amazed they kept a straight face.

You could see her break a little bit when Borat was negotiating with the front desk lady about the cost of her plastic surgery.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I think the way these things work, just going off of watching a bunch of similar comedy and what I have heard Nathan fielder talk about, is not so much that people are in on it, and more that they are more aware than they appear on film. After all, there is a film crew following them around. it's not like it's candid. I don't think people's reactions/interactions are fake, but who knows what the producers told them and it will be edited to be as funny as possible. Even if it shuffles things around and changes their context.

Nathan said they basically try to script the show as much as possible by predicting how people react, but the reactions aren't scripted.

I think SBC stuff is the same way unless it's obviously scripted stuff that isn't even trying to fool you. With stuff like the Qanon guys, or the babysitter I assume they are to some extent legit, but they were probably paid and coached to some degree.

I also think the Qanon guys were portrayed pretty sympathetically. They believed some terrible poo poo, but weren't really awful people. Just brainwashed.

The difference is that a handful of people know who Nathan fielder is but most people in America know who borat is. So I think it’s safe to assume that anyone interacting with Borat the character out of disguise was in on it to some extent. It’s still funny imo

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
it was . . . very nice .

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The bakery scene and the plastic surgeon explaining Jewish noses were both incredible scenes

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Starks posted:

The bakery scene and the plastic surgeon explaining Jewish noses were both incredible scenes

Smiley faces!

Narrating the discovery of female masturbation, interspersed with reaction shots by the small 'conservative women' crowd, was a total highlight.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really want a good animated av of fat cartoon Mcdonald Trump
Did anyone else hear "Mcdonald Trump" and think "gently caress why didnt i come up with this"? So loving good

E: Seriously they must've rotoscoped his fat rear end the weird gargoyle posture and everything is so spot on

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Movie was great, probably going to watch it a second time at some point this weekend.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

That cameo near the end in Australia was loving perfect.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Everyone is entitled to their terrible opinions I guess.

Yeah I actually thought this one was a lot better than the first. I love SBC but have always thought Borat and Bruno were his weakest characters.

Too bad da Ali G movie inexplicably sucks

Edit: also, SBC kills it as Abbie Hoffman in Trial of the Chicago 7 (the new Sorkin movie on Netflix)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

IMDB (a trusted source) says SBC stayed shacked up with the QAnon dudes for five days without breaking character, which I hope is true. Give me a movie of just that.

Perestroika posted:

The dude saying Borat could sell his daughter for $500 and the look of pure revulsion and "that's loving disgusting" the daughter gives to her dad was absolutely perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Wee Bairns posted:

That cameo near the end in Australia was loving perfect.

It looked brutally, terribly green-screened, but that SBC got him to actually do it is wonderful.