Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Envision
Dec 17, 2006
I have two desktops that seem to have stopped working seemingly out of the blue. I've tested them extensively by swapping out the GPUs, RAM sticks, taking out the CMOS battery. I just don't get it. Specs are

PC 1:
CPU: I5-3570k
Mobo: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
RAM: 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz
GPU 1: Gigabyte 290x
GPU 2: Sapphire 290x
PSU: Ultra X4 850 Watt

PC 2:
CPU: AMD FX 8350
Mobo: Asus M97A5
RAM: 4 GB and 8 GB Vengeance 1600 mhz
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 480
PSU: Ultra LSP 750 watt

I've taken each stick of ram, some from other systems, and individually tested each stick in each slot multiple times. I've swapped out each GPU going as far as digging out a few different 270 models from storage to test. No matter what, I just can't figure out how to get a signal. I've tested the monitor on this laptop multiple times with different cables so I at least know it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Envision
Dec 17, 2006
They turn on, the fans will spin, the leds will light up, and thats about as far as it'll go. The motherboard with the 8350 has an led that lights up indicating that there is power but anything beyond that is a no go. The 480 lights up and the fans spin but that's the most I get. The keyboard doesn't light up on either system. I got a new tube of thermal paste to try reseating the processors.

It wouldn't surprised me if it were the power supplies but considering how expensive they are itd be a bummer to have to buy a new one. They were attached to surge protectors, as well.

Edit: swapped out the power supply on the intel rig and its acting the same. Reseated the cpu as well. At this point I'm just assuming that the components i bought almost a decade ago are toast. Thank you for your time.

Envision fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 22, 2020